Saw a Takashi Miike picture called The Great Yokai War. "Yokai" is a Japanese term for monsters from folklore, as opposed to the more familiar kaiju. It's a kids' picture, about a young boy from Tokyo sent out to live in the countryside with his older sister and his intermittently senile grandfather. When a vengeful spirit appears, the boy gets caught up in a war between warring groups of yokai and must find his courage to become the "Kirin Rider", the hero who will set everything to rights. It's not a bad picture - nothing deep, but an amusing story. Some of the yokai are really trippy, Japanese folklore can get pretty "out there", apparently.

Views: 47851

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"Tom Hanks’ character’s son was played by a pre-adolescent Tyler Hoechlin (you know, the current Superman on The CW)"

I did not know that!

It's been a while since I last watched Road to Perdition (or read the graphic novel). Actually, I gave my copy to a friend as a gift 1) because I thought he would enjoy it, and 2) because I wanted to upgrade my personal copy. After 20+ years, I doubt my friend has even read it (or the first volume of Lone Wolf & Cub I gave him in hardcover), not have I replaced my personal copy. There is one particular image from the comic book I remember vividly of the kid looking out a car window with skyscrapers reflected in it. I think that shot was reproduced in the film, but of course that's relatively easy. 

That is amazing. I should re-watch at least a bit of it for that. 

I don't own the original graphic novel, but I have both of the sequels in my reading queue. Actually bought the first one in physical form, along with some late Vertigo comics I never got to. First comics I've purchased that were not e-comics in some time.

THE CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON: Tracy has been lobbying to work Universal's three "Creature" movies into rotation for some time now. We've seen then together once before, but it's been so long ago she doesn't remember. Back in the '80s, I was visiting my brother and his family had rented Anaconda. I knew of it, but didn't know it was a rip-off of Universal's "Creature" featuring a big snake. It was very familiar. When we returned it the next day I asked if I could chose the next one, and I chose The Creature from the Black Lagoon. After we had watched it, my sister-in-law commented, "I can't believe Hollywood would just copy like that!"

I also have the Mechanix Illustrated which cover-features the Creature and explains how the suit was worked. 

I think I've seen the sequel to this more often,  for some reason.
Jeff of Earth-J said:

THE CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON: Tracy has been lobbying to work Universal's three "Creature" movies into rotation for some time now. We've seen then together once before, but it's been so long ago she doesn't remember. Back in the '80s, I was visiting my brother and his family had rented Anaconda. I knew of it, but didn't know it was a rip-off of Universal's "Creature" featuring a big snake. It was very familiar. When we returned it the next day I asked if I could chose the next one, and I chose The Creature from the Black Lagoon. After we had watched it, my sister-in-law commented, "I can't believe Hollywood would just copy like that!"

I also have the Mechanix Illustrated which cover-features the Creature and explains how the suit was worked. 

PHANTOM OF THE PARK: KISS was big when I was in junior high school, but I largely dismissed them reasoning that if they had any talent, they wouldn't need the costumes and make-up. Then, on Hallowe'en night 1978 the Kiss TV movie aired. I was too old for trick or treating, so I decided to give it a look to see what all the fuss was about. I was touted as a cross between Star Wars and A Hard Day's Night, but off as more of a cross between the Batman TV show and the Monkees

I's not a bad description, except that a "cross between the Batman TV show and Monkees" would have actually been somewhat entertaining.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

PHANTOM OF THE PARK: KISS was big when I was in junior high school, but I largely dismissed them reasoning that if they had any talent, they wouldn't need the costumes and make-up. Then, on Hallowe'en night 1978 the Kiss TV movie aired. I was too old for trick or treating, so I decided to give it a look to see what all the fuss was about. I was touted as a cross between Star Wars and A Hard Day's Night, but off as more of a cross between the Batman TV show and the Monkees

I'm already coming up with Batman/Monkees mashup songs in my head.

"Hey, hey, I'm the Batman..."

Doctor Hmmm? said:

I'm already coming up with Batman/Monkees mashup songs in my head.

Take the last train to Gotham
And I'll meet you down at Arkham
Gordon's turned on the Bat-signal
'Cause the Joker's loose again
Don't be slow
Oh, no, no, no
Oh, no, no, no

REVENGE OF THE CREATURE: This is why I don't go to the zoo. In the first movie, the creature did kill two native guides, but only after they desecrated the remains of an ancestor (or, perhaps, simply because they had encroached on its territory). When the expedition which came specifically looking for the creature arrived, it remained peacefully observed... until they started firing at it with a spear gun. After that, it engaged in a cycle of what may be termed "revenge." Although the creature gets a modicum of revenge in the sequel [it kills one man (one of its tormentors) and one dog (a good boy)], this film would be more accurately titled "Return of the Creature." I've never seen the MST3K version.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

GODZILLA VS. DESTOROYAH: A worthy entry to G's "Earth-2" continuity. Godzilla appears right off the bat; Godzilla, Jr. about 50 minutes in. I took a little break from Godzilla. Unfortunately, when I returned I went to mu DVD set rather than VHS. and the set has the movies out of order. AARRGGH! By the time I realized it, I was too far in. I don't know why I would expect the set that is missing two movies to have the rest of them in proper order, but I did. Now I'm going to have to go back an watch Godzilla vs. Space Godzilla out of order. In this case, order makes a difference as Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II started the "Lifecycle of a Godzilla" trilogy. 

GODZILLA VS. SPACE-GODZILLA: I see what happened now. The DVD label listed the movies in the correct order, but the DVD menu had them reversed. I had held "Baby Godzilla" in my mind, so I was able to slot "Little Godzilla" in with no problem. Space-Godzilla has strong continuity with the previous films in "Earth-2/2.1 continuity" and answers the question "What happens if you cross Godzilla with a piece of quartz?" 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service