Saw a Takashi Miike picture called The Great Yokai War. "Yokai" is a Japanese term for monsters from folklore, as opposed to the more familiar kaiju. It's a kids' picture, about a young boy from Tokyo sent out to live in the countryside with his older sister and his intermittently senile grandfather. When a vengeful spirit appears, the boy gets caught up in a war between warring groups of yokai and must find his courage to become the "Kirin Rider", the hero who will set everything to rights. It's not a bad picture - nothing deep, but an amusing story. Some of the yokai are really trippy, Japanese folklore can get pretty "out there", apparently.

Views: 39414

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I haven't seen the movie, and I didn't really ever watch the show. But I love the fact that it was made for kids, and not the middle-aged men of the original fandom. I remember when the cartoon first came out, and everyone was crying in their beer, but it was a runaway hit among the target audience.

A whole new generation was introduced to Cyborg, Starfire, Beast Boy, and Raven, assuming they already knew who Robin was.

CAPTAIN MARVEL: Surprisingly good for a superhero movie. I actually liked it. Set in 1995, this is the “first” Marvel movie AFAIAC.

Wasn't at least part of the Captain America movie set during World War Two?

Jeff of Earth-J said:

CAPTAIN MARVEL: Surprisingly good for a superhero movie. I actually liked it. Set in 1995, this is the “first” Marvel movie AFAIAC.

Yes, I believe it was, but I didn't like that one so it doesn't count. ;)

Flawlessly logical.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

Yes, I believe it was, but I didn't like that one so it doesn't count. ;)

ANIMAL CRACKERS: Inspired by the recently released graphic novel of Salvador Dali’s Marx Brothers movie script Giraffes on Horseback Salad, last night I watched Animal Crackers, my favorite of the early films. About halfway through, Tracy turned to me and said, “Jeff, this really isn’t all that funny.” I told her people say the same about Shakespeare’s comedies and she laughed. I was shocked. She came around to the Three Stooges. Maybe she’ll warm to the Brothers Marx as well. If I had a time machine, I’d go back to see them perform it on Broadway.

I am a huge Marx Brothers fan but when I watched Animal Crackers again last year it didn't seem as funny as I remembered. I've found that non-fans have a better reaction to the Marx MGM films, like Night At The Opera, since those have more plot than the early films that were adapted from the Brothers Broadway shows.

GO WEST: Watched Go West last night while my wife programmed a new phone. Go West was actually the very first Marx bros. movie I ever saw, yet it was one that wasn't repeated ad infinitum on local TV (such as Duck Soup). Tracy found it more enjoyable than Animal Crackers and even laughed out loud once. (I laughed out loud several times during Animal Crackers.) I was reading through some Marx Bros. books while watching and noted that Groucho considered Go West to be one of their three worst films.

I watched ROOM SERVICE and AT THE CIRCUS over the weekend. The only good thing about the latter (according to Groucho) is the song “Lydia the tattooed Lady,” but Room Service, based on a non-Marx Brothers play, has even less to recommend it. It features Ann Miller and Lucille Ball, but it’s not particularly funny.

A very odd paring this week:

Where the Boys Are (1960): Given this film's reputation as the inspiration for the Beach Party movies, I was surprised at how well it holds up. It's a comedy/drama, with MGM production values, great colour, and some fairly strong content for 1960.

Phobe: The Xenophobic Experiments (1995): Back in the 1990s, one Erica Benedikty sought backing for a low-budget, full-length SF action film. She couldn't get it, but she worked for a local Cable TV station, so she borrowed equipment and filmed it for $250.00 with friends and relatives. It developed a cult following through local cable and at Cons. In 2017, it was released on DVD. The titular alien "Phobe" is a guy in a donated ghillie suit (she convinced some local businesses to pitch in) and a home-made mask and helmet. It's surprisingly watchable, despite being a somewhat less than polished work.

I've always thought the implication was that he was the actual devil. The whole paint the town red/welcome to Hell thing points me in that direction. Although I know this is the nameless stranger from the earlier films, I can't help but see it as a stand alone.  

Jason Marconnet (Pint sized mod) said:

I know the common thought is he was a ghost. Watching the movie I had no idea it was a revenge movie. I'm still undecided if it was the ghost of the marshal or if it was actually the marshal himself. He could have survived gone off in the wilderness changed his life and come back to the town for revenge. Either way it's a great movie.

Henry R. Kujawa said:
"Saw High Plains Drifter for the first time this weekend. That was a great movie."

With your having just seen it for the 1st time... I'd like to hear your (ahem) "interpretation" of what went on in it.

:)

"I never did know your name."
"YES, you do..."

We just watched Bad Times at the El Royale. It has a lot in common with Coen Brothers movies and also with Tarantino's Pulp Fiction. Anyone who likes this type of movie as I do will enjoy it. Don't bring the kids.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service