Saw a Takashi Miike picture called The Great Yokai War. "Yokai" is a Japanese term for monsters from folklore, as opposed to the more familiar kaiju. It's a kids' picture, about a young boy from Tokyo sent out to live in the countryside with his older sister and his intermittently senile grandfather. When a vengeful spirit appears, the boy gets caught up in a war between warring groups of yokai and must find his courage to become the "Kirin Rider", the hero who will set everything to rights. It's not a bad picture - nothing deep, but an amusing story. Some of the yokai are really trippy, Japanese folklore can get pretty "out there", apparently.

Views: 38234

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My wife decided she wanted to watch Gone Girl after all. So we watched it to the end. It had some interesting ideas, but since I didn't like anyone in the movie, I didn't really care what happened to any of them. And I didn't really believe the ending.

In the novel, the ending plays more like satire, so it sort of works.

The characters, however, remain unlikeable.

Captain Comics said:

My wife decided she wanted to watch Gone Girl after all. So we watched it to the end. It had some interesting ideas, but since I didn't like anyone in the movie, I didn't really care what happened to any of them. And I didn't really believe the ending.

Richard Willis said:

As for dubbing vs sub-titles, I prefer dubbing if done well. If a movie is engaging enough I can get into the sub-titles. My wife doesn't like it. The best dubbing I've seen to date was on the original Swedish trilogy that begins with The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. The mouth movements of the actors speaking Swedish is so close to the dubbed dialog that I never noticed any difference. The DVDs have the dubbing option while (unless it's changed) the streaming versions had only sub-titles. Anyone who hasn't seen the original trilogy should do so.

I remember an interesting piece from Slate about how dubbing is done: "Avatar in Spanish, or French, or German: How Dubbing Works."

One bit I found fascinating: for the really big stars, the actor who does that voice does it not for one movie, but for all of that star's movies.

I saw Widows, a heist movie with a couple of twists and a stellar cast, including Viola Davis and Michelle Rodriguez as two of the three widows of the title. However, the former youngster of the house didn't like it; he felt like there was nobody to root for. 

I've heard this floated as a theory why Jerry Lewis was so revered in France: the voice actor who dubbed him was hilarious. 

ClarkKent_DC said:

One bit I found fascinating: for the really big stars, the actor who does that voice does it not for one movie, but for all of that star's movies.

Oh, I definitely meant to see that in the theaters! (And the similar, comics-based, The Kitchen, too.) Gonna have to check my streaming services for them.

ClarkKent_DC said:

I saw Widows, a heist movie with a couple of twists and a stellar cast, including Viola Davis and Michelle Rodriguez as two of the three widows of the title. However, the former youngster of the house didn't like it; he felt like there was nobody to root for. 

I'll get around to The Kitchen, too. My wife and I have both read the GN, so it's inevitable.

Skate Kitchen wasn't bad, either.

THE WATCHMEN: Inspired by the TV show, we re-watched the movie over the weekend. I think it’s one of the best comic book adaptations out there.

KING DINOSAUR (MST3K): We don’t own a lot of MST3K on DVD, but we found a set still in shrink wrap at HPB over the weekend. We’ve watched only this one so far. Never seen this one before. It’s a pretty ”good” one.

Wow, guys -- if you get a chance while it's in theaters, see Parasite, the new movie from Bong Jun-Ho. Set in South Korea, it starts out as members of a poor family scam their way into jobs working for a rich one, one after the other (without letting them know they're related). And then...WHOA. It takes you on a journey. Great movie, and I don't want to give away more right now.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

THE WATCHMEN: Inspired by the TV show, we re-watched the movie over the weekend. I think it’s one of the best comic book adaptations out there..

I'm always puzzled when people say that the Watchmen movie was bad.The only thing bad was the timing of its release and the failure of the advertising campaign.

CASTLE OF FU MANCHU (MST3K): I’ve said before that the source movies of MST3K send-ups should have some semblance of quality. King Dinosaur (above), for example, at least tried to be a good sci-fi flick. That makes it easy to make fun of. But the Castle of Fu Manchu has no semblance of quality whatsoever. Eventually, Joel and the ‘bots stop trying and their jokes devolve into how difficult it is to make jokes about so bad of a movie. In one of the host segments, they are actually reduced to tears because the source movie is so bad. At one point, Joel challenges the Mads to try their job, which they do and fail miserably. The host segments were the only redeeming feature of this mess.

CODE NAME: DIAMONDHEAD (MST3K): This one features a short, “A Day at the Fair,” which is as entertaining as the main features (as the shorts often are).

LAST OF THE WILD HORSES (MST3K): This episode is based around the “theme” of the “Mirror, Mirror” episode of Star Trek in which “evil” Tom Servo is shunted into our universe, and “good” Forrester and Frank are captives aboard the SOL in the mirror universe. In one sequence, Forrester and Frank make the jokes from the theater. A nice twist for an otherwise forgettable movie.

VIEW FROM THE TOP: This is not an MST3K movie but it should be. It’s a predictable 2003 rom-com starring Gwyneth Paltrow and Mark Ruffalo in the leads, plus Christina Applegate, Candice Bergen, Rob Lowe, and Mike Myers. I watched it in anticipation of reading Ayoade on Top.

(The clip is five minutes long.)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service