Saw a Takashi Miike picture called The Great Yokai War. "Yokai" is a Japanese term for monsters from folklore, as opposed to the more familiar kaiju. It's a kids' picture, about a young boy from Tokyo sent out to live in the countryside with his older sister and his intermittently senile grandfather. When a vengeful spirit appears, the boy gets caught up in a war between warring groups of yokai and must find his courage to become the "Kirin Rider", the hero who will set everything to rights. It's not a bad picture - nothing deep, but an amusing story. Some of the yokai are really trippy, Japanese folklore can get pretty "out there", apparently.

Views: 50868

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Over the past few days:

The original True Grit. I liked it, maybe not as much as the new one but still a great movie.

Die Hard- The ultimate Christmas movie! Yippe Kai-yay mother ....

Idiocracy- I was hoping this would be better than it was. I loved Mike Judge's other film, Office Space.

Below- An interesting WW2 sub/horror movie. A good way to waste a few hours.

This morning, my wife and I watched My Summer Story, the follow-up to A Christmas Story. The cast was all different except for the actress playing Ralph's teacher, but the director, the music, and Jean Shepherd as the narrator were all the same. Two of the Culkan brothers played Ralph and Randy, and Charles Grodin and Mary Steenburgen played their parents. Ralph was against the new bully in town in a killer top competition, the old man was fighting the Bumpuses again, and it was Mom vs dish night at the Orpheum. It wasn't quite as good as A Christmas Story, but it was a fun movie.

I saw Elf again on the day after Christmas. Unlike A Christmas Story, Elf is something I can watch year after year. Don't get me wrong; A Christmas Story is a fine movie but, having seen it once, I have no desire or need to see it again. Elf, on the other hand, is the perfect showcase for Will Farrell's charms. He can be quite tiresome in many of his other movies, but here, it's just right.

I remember seeing that many years ago. It wasn't quite as good as a Christmas Story but still pretty darn good.

PowerBook Pete said:
This morning, my wife and I watched My Summer Story, the follow-up to A Christmas Story. The cast was all different except for the actress playing Ralph's teacher, but the director, the music, and Jean Shepherd as the narrator were all the same. Two of the Culkan brothers played Ralph and Randy, and Charles Grodin and Mary Steenburgen played their parents. Ralph was against the new bully in town in a killer top competition, the old man was fighting the Bumpuses again, and it was Mom vs dish night at the Orpheum. It wasn't quite as good as A Christmas Story, but it was a fun movie.
I saw Elf when it first came out and couldn't stand it. It made me nervous. This year I watched it again with my roommate who loves it. I liked it better this time around. Plus how could I forget it has my future wife, Zooey Deschenel in it.

ClarkKent_DC said:

I saw Elf again on the day after Christmas. Unlike A Christmas Story, Elf is something I can watch year after year. Don't get me wrong; A Christmas Story is a fine movie but, having seen it once, I have no desire or need to see it again. Elf, on the other hand, is the perfect showcase for Will Farrell's charms. He can be quite tiresome in many of his other movies, but here, it's just right.

I watched Independence Day a few night ago. It's been years and years since I've seen it. I loved it as a teenager. It holds up fairly well. It had a interesting cast for being a big blockbuster film but they made it work.

Last night I watched Lethal Weapon. I love this movie. Though it seems like there's quite a bit of set up before Riggs and Murtaugh actually meet up.

I have kind of a light work week this week but to add to it I"m sick. I've just been lying around today. Just watched Centurion on Netflix. It's a direct to dvd film but I remember seeing a trailer for it on yahoo movies a while back. Anyways for what it is, it's a pretty decent flick.
Tonight, it was Ollie Hopnoodle's Haven of Bliss, another story of Ralph Parker and his family. This time, Jerry O'Connell plays 14-year-old Ralph as he, Schwarz, and Flick get jobs in a furniture and appliance store. James Sikking of Hill Street Blues and Star Trek III plays the old man, and Dorothy Lyman plays mom. Jean Shepherd is once again the narrator as well as Mr Scott, the boys' boss. Randy is whinier than ever in this one, which is not as good as My Summer Story but still entertaining.
Jason Marconnet said:
I saw Elf when it first came out and couldn't stand it. It made me nervous.

What do you mean "it made me nervous"?

Now, I can understand innocuous family fare causing an unexpected reaction. Years ago, we watched Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, and my son found it unsettling. A while later, I saw Charlie and the Chocolate Factory -- the one with Johnny Depp -- and a half-hour of that was all I could take. I could actually feel my skin crawling.
Just the way he was always so hyper and bumbeled around. That kind of stuff makes me uneasy. Dumb and Dumber didn't bother me but this did. I have a cousin who was like buddy as a kid, he still kind of his. He was always running around and way too hyper. I've always been a calm person by nature.

ClarkKent_DC said:
Jason Marconnet said:
I saw Elf when it first came out and couldn't stand it. It made me nervous.

What do you mean "it made me nervous"?

Now, I can understand innocuous family fare causing an unexpected reaction. Years ago, we watched Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, and my son found it unsettling. A while later, I saw Charlie and the Chocolate Factory -- the one with Johnny Depp -- and a half-hour of that was all I could take. I could actually feel my skin crawling.
I remember this one was always on Disney when I was a kid. I remember it being funny. Is this the one where someone stick a chocolate bar in the glove box and they never found out who did it? I also didn't realize it was the same family as a Christmas story.

PowerBook Pete said:
Tonight, it was Ollie Hopnoodle's Haven of Bliss, another story of Ralph Parker and his family. This time, Jerry O'Connell plays 14-year-old Ralph as he, Schwarz, and Flick get jobs in a furniture and appliance store. James Sikking of Hill Street Blues and Star Trek III plays the old man, and Dorothy Lyman plays mom. Jean Shepherd is once again the narrator as well as Mr Scott, the boys' boss. Randy is whinier than ever in this one, which is not as good as My Summer Story but still entertaining.
Watched Starman last night since I'm kind of on a Jeff Bridges kick after seeing Tron Legacy and True Grit. It was a pretty good flick, Bridges performance really elevates the film.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Publisher News

The Justice League comes to an end in 'Justice League' #75

Posted by Captain Comics on January 20, 2022 at 5:30pm 4 Comments

Joshua Williamson & Rafa Sandoval Team up to kill the team on April 19…

Continue

Groups

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service