Saw a Takashi Miike picture called The Great Yokai War. "Yokai" is a Japanese term for monsters from folklore, as opposed to the more familiar kaiju. It's a kids' picture, about a young boy from Tokyo sent out to live in the countryside with his older sister and his intermittently senile grandfather. When a vengeful spirit appears, the boy gets caught up in a war between warring groups of yokai and must find his courage to become the "Kirin Rider", the hero who will set everything to rights. It's not a bad picture - nothing deep, but an amusing story. Some of the yokai are really trippy, Japanese folklore can get pretty "out there", apparently.

Views: 48249

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Mark Evanier wrote about Berle and that movie here.

Mike Parnell said:
I think this movie's genesis was that old chestnut that lingered until his death that Berle stole other comics' material.  That joke was always trotted out when Berle appeared on the Dean Martin Roasts. 

PowerBook Pete (The Mad Mod) said:
The Baron said:
I never was a big Milton Berle fan, but there's a funny story of how he encountered DeCarlo on the studio lot one day while she was in her full Lily Munster make-up and regalia, and said to her: "Hi Yvonne! Working today?"

Since you mentioned Berle, I watched his movie Always Leave Them Laughing yesterday. Berle plays a third-rate comic who gets by using other comics' material. He re-used so many old gags, many I've seen the Three Stooges do, I started imagining that it would have been a great solo vehicle for Curly Howard. Then, about three-quarters of the way through the movie, Bert Lahr's character mentions Ted Healy. There are bits that Curly did; there are bits that Shemp did. It's not a great movie, but it's not too bad, either. Virginia Mayo has a really hot dance bit in it, too.
...There was a Broadway musical called TOP BANANA during Berle's " Mr. Television " days , starring ______ ______ as well as Rose arie , about an obviously Berle-inspired longtime bulesque , vaudeville , etc. comedian who is now a big star in the new medium . The music and lyrics were by Johnny Nercer , possibly the only time he wrote music .
  It was a big enough hit to have a cast LP recorded , which I had a CD of .
  There was a movie version in the 50s , which was released in 3-D , during the time of the 3-D boom then ( Sound familiar ??????? :-) ) , but the 3-D version is lost now .
  Long ago , I had a VHS of the movie , but I never saw it , and lost it/left it behind me in a move .
  These didn't star Berle - but he did , eventually , appear on stage in the musical himself on the " summer warhorse musicals/sheds " circut during the 1960s !!!!!!!!!
  It would appear that the musical itslf/the title song is where the phrase " top banana " , in relation  to live performances/billing , was coined . " If you wanna be the top ban-an=a/You gotta start from the bott-on up !!!!! " !!! :-)

...Okay , it's too late for me to Edit this , after I went to Internet Broadway Database and was reminded that ----- PHIL SILVERS ----- starred in the Broadway production of " Top Banana " :-) !

Rose Marie was something like 30th-billed , but she WAS in it !!!!! And on the LP/CD !!!

"Super 8," J.J. Abrams' homage to the Spielberg movies of the late '70s and early '80s. Anyone else here seen this? Good flick.
Not yet, I really want to though. Seeing Green Lantern this weekend, not sure I'll make it to Super 8.

George said:
"Super 8," J.J. Abrams' homage to the Spielberg movies of the late '70s and early '80s. Anyone else here seen this? Good flick.

I saw the original Tron on Friday night. Though the effects were a bit dated, I liked the story.

Sunday I saw the Switch. It stars Jason Bateman and Jennifer Aniston. It's a typical romantic comedy that starts out pretty good, the middle gets bogged down and ends with the typically sappiness.

Tuesday I watched The Way Back. It's the tale of a group of men who escape from a Siberrian prison in 1940 and make a long trek to freedom. It's based on a true story. It has a some good scenery and decent acting. The stories good but for the most part it's an uneventful movie. For a true and astonishing story it was kinda dull.

I have finally seen The Goonies. I didn't like it.
I haven't seen that since I was in Jr. high, and I intend to keep it that way. It was great then, but I doubt it would live up to my memories now.

Me neither.

Too much whining and yelling and juvenile silliness for an adult audience and too much language that had to be beeped for kids.
I saw it when I was in college, I was probably 21 or 22 at the time. It was ok but I wasn't wild about it. A lot of people my age love the movie but they saw it when they were much younger and I suppose it holds special meaning to them. Maybe if I saw it when I was 6 I would've loved it too.
I saw it when it was out, but I have no desire or need to see it again; I doubt I would think it still holds up.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service