Saw a Takashi Miike picture called The Great Yokai War. "Yokai" is a Japanese term for monsters from folklore, as opposed to the more familiar kaiju. It's a kids' picture, about a young boy from Tokyo sent out to live in the countryside with his older sister and his intermittently senile grandfather. When a vengeful spirit appears, the boy gets caught up in a war between warring groups of yokai and must find his courage to become the "Kirin Rider", the hero who will set everything to rights. It's not a bad picture - nothing deep, but an amusing story. Some of the yokai are really trippy, Japanese folklore can get pretty "out there", apparently.

Views: 41291

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Never seen that one.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

Very much like the rape scene in Gone with the Wind.

Interestingly, that's pretty much my go-to example of a movie that has not held up well (although a technical achievement in cinema)

Jeff of Earth-J said:

@FreddyFenech on Twitter has posted the title cards of the Universal monster movies in chronological order.

I always shied away from it because the Antebellum South never held any interest for me.

JD DeLuzio said:

Interestingly, that's pretty much my go-to example of a movie that has not held up well (although a technical achievement in cinema)

Jeff of Earth-J said:

I guess the main problem with the rape scenes in Gone with the Wind, Young Frankenstein and (I'll add) the Clint Eastwood movie High Plains Drifter is that the rape victim in these cases is shown to be happy after being raped.

Yeah, that's the big issue.

Richard Willis said:

I guess the main problem with the rape scenes in Gone with the Wind, Young Frankenstein and (I'll add) the Clint Eastwood movie High Plains Drifter is that the rape victim in these cases is shown to be happy after being raped.

I still like Gone with the Wind... as a movie... which is more than I can say for Birth of a Nation. When Gone with the Wind first came to television (broadcast over two nights), it was a pretty big deal in our house. My mom had read the book and seen the movie when she could still hear. She hadn't see it since, but was very much looking forward to it. Actually, we watched it at my grandmother's house because she had a color set and we didn't at that time. 

I knew even at the time that Gone with the Wind did not offer a realistic portrayal of slavery, and the movie was still fresh in my mind the next years when Roots come to television (another big deal in our house). 

Since Gone with the Wind is one of my mother's favorite movies, I asked her about the rape scene (and thank you for that, guys!) and at first, she had no idea what I was talking about. Then it clicked. She explained it away because 1) they were married, 2) Rhett was drunk, 3) Scarlet put Rhett through an emotional wringer bordering on abuse herself and 4) it was Clark Gable!

Perhaps it's generational thing.

While it's been years since my mother made me sit through it I have seen it, I never considered it a historical film. It's primarily a romantic drama/soap opera bordering on fantasy. Scarlet is described as a "progressive woman" and an "independent woman". I thought she was manipulative, selfish and sadistic. Was it real? Hardly. Was it what some wanted to be real? Probably. The sad part is that it could have been much worse! 

I am not in favor of banning this movie. Most agree that it is a classic and an important film. We must remember the time it was made, who the audience were and what we can learn about it today.

Birth of a Nation may have historical significance, but it's not a fun watch.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

I still like Gone with the Wind... as a movie... which is more than I can say for Birth of a Nation. When Gone with the Wind first came to television (broadcast over two nights), it was a pretty big deal in our house. My mom had read the book and seen the movie when she could still hear. She hadn't see it since, but was very much looking forward to it. Actually, we watched it at my grandmother's house because she had a color set and we didn't at that time. 

I knew even at the time that Gone with the Wind did not offer a realistic portrayal of slavery, and the movie was still fresh in my mind the next years when Roots come to television (another big deal in our house). 

Part of me thinks I should watch Birth of a Nation because it was (I understand) the longest, most ambitious movie up to that time. I haven't been able to bring myself to watch it. It glorifies the Ku Klux Klan and actually helped to revive that terrorist organization, which at that time was virtually gone.

In addition to the rape scene, Gone with the Wind has a sequence that is "KKK-lite" in which the saintly/idiotic Ashley Wilkes gets killed off-screen after riding off with a group to battle the supposed runaway slaves who attempted to rape Scarlet. Also, the only United States Army (not Union Army) soldier in the movie is a deserter who is killed by Scarlet while he is burglarizing her house and apparently intent on raping her.

I watched BoaN once, and  have never been able to bring myself to sit through it again.

Richard Willis said:

Part of me thinks I should watch Birth of a Nation because it was (I understand) the longest, most ambitious movie up to that time. I haven't been able to bring myself to watch it. It glorifies the Ku Klux Klan and actually helped to revive that terrorist organization, which at that time was virtually gone.

In addition to the rape scene, Gone with the Wind has a sequence that is "KKK-lite" in which the saintly/idiotic Ashley Wilkes gets killed off-screen after riding off with a group to battle the supposed runaway slaves who attempted to rape Scarlet. Also, the only United States Army (not Union Army) soldier in the movie is a deserter who is killed by Scarlet while he is burglarizing her house and apparently intent on raping her.

Likewise, I've watched Triumph of the Will, and there's no reason to watch it unless you're a student of history or cinematic techniques.

The Baron said:

I watched BoaN once, and  have never been able to bring myself to sit through it again.

Richard Willis said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service