Last Wednesday, Boom! Studios released a new Planet of the Apes comic book series. According to editor Ian Brill, the new series is set in continuity with the five original films, and takes place some 1200 before Taylor “fell from the stars.” The art is real nice and it’s in color. The story? Too soon to tell. I will say I’m more impressed so far than I was with Revolution on the Planet of the Apes, the six-issue mini-series published in 2005-6 by Mr. Comics. I read that one and I remember discussing it here, but I don’t remember much about it, other than that I didn’t particularly care for it. Anyone here remember that one? (I know Mark read it.) Anyone here reading this new series by writer Daryl Gregory and artist Carlos Magno.

I was surprised (and oddly pleased) to learn this weekend that a new film, Rise of the Planet of the Apes, is going to open August 5.

Views: 567

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"This rare collection will reprint all eleven issues of ADVENTURES ON THE PLANETS OF THE APES for the very first time!"

Oh, please. BOOM! Studios reprinted all 24 issues of Marvel's original b&w POTA magazine in four archival volumes back in 2017-18. What Marvel seems to be saying here is that they will be reprinting the reprint for the first time. 

But in color!

Jeff of Earth-J said:

"This rare collection will reprint all eleven issues of ADVENTURES ON THE PLANETS OF THE APES for the very first time!"

Oh, please. BOOM! Studios reprinted all 24 issues of Marvel's original b&w POTA magazine in four archival volumes back in 2017-18. What Marvel seems to be saying here is that they will be reprinting the reprint for the first time. 

Hmmm. I have all the magazines. I have all the reprints. Will I be able to resist buying these stories in a third format?

All I know is if Cornelius joins the Avengers, I'll be seriously ticked off! 

Caesar, maybe, but not Cornelius!

I might buy it. As far as the adaptations go, POTA and Beneath the POTA are the best. As a general rule of thumb, I think comics created for b&w should remain in b&w, and comics created for color should remain in color. But this one has me curious, especially if it utilizes state-of-the-art colors rather than tries to match what the original reprints looked like. I do very much remember going from #6 to #7 in real time and being stunned by the difference in art switching from George Tuska to Alfredo Alcala. I don't know if it was something about working in this format or what, but I happen to think the original issues are the best Tuska and Alcala I have ever seen. It might have been less jarring if a single artist did both adaptations, but it's difficult (albeit not impossible) to think two artists with such different styles back-to-back on the same series. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

ClarkKent_DC posted discussions
1 hour ago
Dave Palmer replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"A character whose whole schtick was fortune telling"
1 hour ago
The Baron replied to ClarkKent_DC's discussion Meeting the Dora Milaje
"Wow, that's great!"
1 hour ago
The Baron liked ClarkKent_DC's discussion Meeting the Dora Milaje
2 hours ago
The Baron replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Dark Shadows
"Re-watching Journey to the Center of the Earth (1959).  I always forget that the…"
3 hours ago
Richard Willis replied to Wandering Sensei: Moderator Man's discussion What Comic Books Have You Read Today?
"Captain Comics said: Especially boxing! Apparently boxing was a big deal in the early 1940s. In…"
4 hours ago
Richard Willis replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Sandman (TV)
"I didn't time them, but I only felt one was shorter than the others."
4 hours ago
Captain Comics replied to Captain Comics's discussion 'Batgirl' dead on HBO
"So the more I read about the new CEO of Warner Bros. Discovery, the more it seems he wants -- as…"
4 hours ago
Glenn Hakanson liked Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Sandman (TV)
5 hours ago
Glenn Hakanson liked Richard Willis's video
5 hours ago
Glenn Hakanson liked Captain Comics's video
5 hours ago
Glenn Hakanson liked Captain Comics's video
5 hours ago

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service