From SDCC:

THE FLASH BRINGS TWO DC COMICS CHARACTERS TO CENTRAL CITY FOR SEASON TWO

Teddy Sears (Masters of Sex) Joins the Cast as Jay Garrick and Shantel VanSanten (The Messengers, The Final Destination) as Patty Spivot

BURBANK, Calif. (July 11, 2015) — Hit Super Hero action/drama The Flash (Tuesdays 8/7c The CW) is getting up to speed for season two by bringing two new characters to join The Fastest Man Alive in Central City, with both hailing from the DC Comics Universe.

Teddy Sears photo by Rainer Hosch

Teddy Sears (Masters of Sex, Raising the Bar) has been cast as Jay Garrick, who is well known to comic book fans as the first DC Comics character to take on the mantle of The Flash. In the TV show, Jay is a mysterious figure who arrives in Central City to warn Barry Allen and his team at S.T.A.R. Labs of an impending danger that he alone cannot hope to stop.

The Flash executive producer Andrew Kreisberg said, “Having Jay Garrick come onto the show was one of our earliest ideas. It is so exciting, as we rush into season two, that we finally get to bring the Crimson Comet to life. We couldn’t imagine anyone more suited to play the original Flash than Teddy.”

Shantel VanSanten photo by Smile XXVII Studios

Shantel VanSanten (The Messengers, The Final Destination, One Tree Hill) has been set for the role of Patty Spivot. A more recent addition to The Flash’s comic book history, Patty Spivot is a police officer and science enthusiast who catches the eye of Barry Allen. Patty is obsessed with metahumans and partners with Det. Joe West this season but has no idea that her new crush is The Flash.

“We were huge fans of The Messengers and are excited to have Shantel join us to help complicate Barry Allen’s love life in season two,” said Kreisberg.

Based on the characters from DC Comics, The Flash is from Bonanza Productions Inc. in association with Berlanti Productions and Warner Bros. Television. The series returns for season two on Tuesday, October 6, at 8/7c on The CW.

Jay Garrick, copyright DC Entertainment Inc.

Patty Spivot, copyright DC Entertainment Inc.

THE FLASH signing photos (Sat, July 11): http://comiccon.thewb.com/the-flash-signing-3/ or https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10153587427978777.1073741...

Views: 3658

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for that link, Richard! I totally missed Jonah Hex, the Legion ring and the original TV Flash!

I haven't watched this week's Flash yet, but now I'm really looking forward to seeing it tonight!

Action Lad and I watched this afternoon and caught most of the Easter eggs ... super slomo through the vortex helped!

I'm not really buying Kaitlyn as Killer Frost.

Who is "the man in the iron mask" supposed to be?

I think if we see Jay Garrick again, he'll have his trademark greying temples.

Wild guess: I think the Man in the Iron Mask is Jay -- the *real* Jay. The man who's been posing as Jay all season long is the Hunter Zolomon of Earth 2, who's serving double duty as Zoom. Maybe the hand thing at the end has been an after-image trick. There's lots of evidence against it, of course... Zoom would have to be able to be both on E-1 and E-2 during these last few days. But we didn't see a *lot* of Zoom on Earth-2, and if Jay/Zoom is fast enough, he might be able to pull it off. 

That would mean he needed to find a way to deceive Caitlyn's blood tests, of course -- and a reason to be doing some good deeds in Barry's absence. But why on earth wasn't Jay able to get to the lab to fight Geomancer when he appeared? He was "napping"? Or was he on Earth-2 and didn't hear her call for help?

And the guy in the mask was obviously trying to tell him *something* about Jay, and Barry wasn't getting it. 

Whoops -- a big flaw in the above theory -- Earth-2 Welles KNOWS Jay. So probably not.

Why would the Masked Man rap "Jay" to Barry if he's Jay? He doesn't know that Barry knows who Jay is. And wouldn't he rap "Flash"?

Big concern over Jay not showing up at the lab too!

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

Wild guess: I think the Man in the Iron Mask is Jay -- the *real* Jay. The man who's been posing as Jay all season long is the Hunter Zolomon of Earth 2, who's serving double duty as Zoom. Maybe the hand thing at the end has been an after-image trick. There's lots of evidence against it, of course... Zoom would have to be able to be both on E-1 and E-2 during these last few days. But we didn't see a *lot* of Zoom on Earth-2, and if Jay/Zoom is fast enough, he might be able to pull it off. 

That would mean he needed to find a way to deceive Caitlyn's blood tests, of course -- and a reason to be doing some good deeds in Barry's absence. But why on earth wasn't Jay able to get to the lab to fight Geomancer when he appeared? He was "napping"? Or was he on Earth-2 and didn't hear her call for help?

And the guy in the mask was obviously trying to tell him *something* about Jay, and Barry wasn't getting it. 

Does he need a way to decieve Caitlin's blood tests? It's not like she has anything to compare them to. 

True.. although she seems to be able to measure the speed capacity of his cells (and Barry's) somehow, and Zoom's would register as really fast, presumably.

Well, post-Zoomably, I guess.

But why on earth wasn't Jay able to get to the lab to fight Geomancer when he appeared?

That bothered me too. Jay seemed to run out on them, warn them not to do things and then not show up as they're fighting the meta-human. Then all of a sudden he'll do heroic things. It's very inconsistent, unless there's a reason behind it, other than needing plot points.

Speaking of plot points, I'm starting to wear out on all the threats and warnings and having nothing happen. They don't seem any closer to stopping Zoom, he pretty much does whatever he wants to and had ample opportunity to kill Jesse while Wells was laying there before Caitlin had her slow conversion. At least this time they saved Jesse and put Jay in danger (supposedly) but it sure takes awhile.

These overarching meta-arcs need to move a little faster, especially when most of the episode is devoted to it. It gets tiresome having Zoom zoom in to wreck the plans and then zoom off again.

And really, Barry? A little "I know you can do it" from your doppelganger is all it took to escape? He didn't even give you a different way to do it you hadn't thought of, which would've been plausible.

And really Jay? Standing around next to the warp with your back turned to it before it actually was shut down (which seemed to take quite awhile). That was really telegraphed badly and showed a lot of recklessness.

the guy in the mask was obviously trying to tell him *something* about Jay, and Barry wasn't getting it. 

Yes, that's an intriguing plot, I hope it proves worthwhile. I do have to think that guy is in an iron mask because, like other guys in iron masks, we'll recognize him when we see him. So did Zoom put the mask on him when the warp opened, figuring Flash might show up, or did he put it on when he captured Flash? If so, Jesse would've seen his face at some point.

The logical conclusion is that it's either the real Jay or the Earth-2 Henry Allen. Who else would we/Barry recognize?

-- MSA

And really Jay? Standing around next to the warp with your back turned to it before it actually was shut down..

Yeah, that was really obvious.

Mr. Silver Age said:

the guy in the mask was obviously trying to tell him *something* about Jay, and Barry wasn't getting it. 

Yes, that's an intriguing plot, I hope it proves worthwhile. I do have to think that guy is in an iron mask because, like other guys in iron masks, we'll recognize him when we see him. So did Zoom put the mask on him when the warp opened, figuring Flash might show up, or did he put it on when he captured Flash? If so, Jesse would've seen his face at some point.

The logical conclusion is that it's either the real Jay or the Earth-2 Henry Allen. Who else would we/Barry recognize?

Comic Book Resources offers several possibilities here, including a couple who have appeared on the show. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service