From SDCC:

THE FLASH BRINGS TWO DC COMICS CHARACTERS TO CENTRAL CITY FOR SEASON TWO

Teddy Sears (Masters of Sex) Joins the Cast as Jay Garrick and Shantel VanSanten (The Messengers, The Final Destination) as Patty Spivot

BURBANK, Calif. (July 11, 2015) — Hit Super Hero action/drama The Flash (Tuesdays 8/7c The CW) is getting up to speed for season two by bringing two new characters to join The Fastest Man Alive in Central City, with both hailing from the DC Comics Universe.

Teddy Sears photo by Rainer Hosch

Teddy Sears (Masters of Sex, Raising the Bar) has been cast as Jay Garrick, who is well known to comic book fans as the first DC Comics character to take on the mantle of The Flash. In the TV show, Jay is a mysterious figure who arrives in Central City to warn Barry Allen and his team at S.T.A.R. Labs of an impending danger that he alone cannot hope to stop.

The Flash executive producer Andrew Kreisberg said, “Having Jay Garrick come onto the show was one of our earliest ideas. It is so exciting, as we rush into season two, that we finally get to bring the Crimson Comet to life. We couldn’t imagine anyone more suited to play the original Flash than Teddy.”

Shantel VanSanten photo by Smile XXVII Studios

Shantel VanSanten (The Messengers, The Final Destination, One Tree Hill) has been set for the role of Patty Spivot. A more recent addition to The Flash’s comic book history, Patty Spivot is a police officer and science enthusiast who catches the eye of Barry Allen. Patty is obsessed with metahumans and partners with Det. Joe West this season but has no idea that her new crush is The Flash.

“We were huge fans of The Messengers and are excited to have Shantel join us to help complicate Barry Allen’s love life in season two,” said Kreisberg.

Based on the characters from DC Comics, The Flash is from Bonanza Productions Inc. in association with Berlanti Productions and Warner Bros. Television. The series returns for season two on Tuesday, October 6, at 8/7c on The CW.

Jay Garrick, copyright DC Entertainment Inc.

Patty Spivot, copyright DC Entertainment Inc.

THE FLASH signing photos (Sat, July 11): http://comiccon.thewb.com/the-flash-signing-3/ or https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10153587427978777.1073741...

Views: 3729

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I wonder if Detective Chimp can be too far behind.

Philip Portelli said:

I wonder if they'll introduce Solovar as a good counterpart to Grodd?
Doctor Hmmm? said:

Yeah, that was pretty cool; I'd hoped that's where they were sending him. I hope they do more with it now. Solovar would be an interesting addition. And hey, there is a mayoral race coming up in Star City, maybe Grodd can run.

Vandal Savage, Hawkwoman, the Atom. These guys are really doing a deep dive in DC comics. It should be a cool crossover.

I don't even mind so much that he's called Vibe. But let's face it, if it wasn't mandated, Cisco would think that name sucked.

-- MSA

Yeah, I'm thrilled by this development. That was my only real quibble with Grodd last season -- there didn't seem to be any way for Gorilla City to fit with his new origin. SO glad to be proved wrong.

Doctor Hmmm? said:

Gorilla City! Gorilla City! Gorilla City!  Yes, they telegraphed the heck out of it.  I don't care!  Gorilla City!

He should be grateful that they're not making him wear the outfit!

Mr. Silver Age said:

Yeah, that was pretty cool; I'd hoped that's where they were sending him. I hope they do more with it now. Solovar would be an interesting addition. And hey, there is a mayoral race coming up in Star City, maybe Grodd can run.

Vandal Savage, Hawkwoman, the Atom. These guys are really doing a deep dive in DC comics. It should be a cool crossover.

I don't even mind so much that he's called Vibe. But let's face it, if it wasn't mandated, Cisco would think that name sucked.

-- MSA

I just caught up on Flash yesterday. About four episodes, I think! And I pretty much agree with everyone here ...

* The Firestorm episode was as boring as all the other Firestorm episodes. And what was wrong with Jason Rausch?

* I kept trying to remember where I'd heard the name Henry Hewitt before. Then someone said "Tokamek." Oh, thanks.

* Loved Barry and Patty's date, especially her seeing through his sitcom solution ... and letting it slide for most of the date. Methinks she likes him.

* Gorilla City! Gorilla City! Gorilla City!

* When Jay left, I said to my wife, "That's not the Jay Garrick I know."

* When I told my wife about Wally West and Jessie Quick, she said exasperatedly, "How many Flashes ARE there?"

* Yep, I suspect the interminable ex-wife drama was just to set up Wally West. And he'll be black, like the current one is. Let's hope we never see dying ex-wife again, though, unless it's just to die already.

* So, the hawks. I hope they look better than the one in Smallville. Worst. Wings. Ever.

* Barry might as well tell Patty about his secret ID. Everybody else, including Captain Cold, already knows. What's one more? Besides, lying is a terrible way to start a relationship.

Loved Barry and Patty's date

I was shocked that they actually got to kiss. It's almost standard that just as their lips meet, something happens that makes them yank back. Way to break the stereotype!

When Jay left, I said to my wife, "That's not the Jay Garrick I know."

Yeah, that was disappointing. I understand his concern, but he's coming off as scared and unhelpful, and that doesn't sit well. Where the heck is he, off watching TV and reading about the Flash in the papers? C'mon. Clearly, he'll be back, but his absence is even more puzzling than Henry Allen's.

When I told my wife about Wally West and Jessie Quick, she said exasperatedly, "How many Flashes ARE there?"

But...but that's why Flash is so cool! It's a whole family, generations, of characters! They share a bond like no other characters. Frankly, that's why Barry Allen was more valuable dead than alive, because it put that gap in the generations that showed the family business was dangerous. DC never understands its own characters.

I suspect the interminable ex-wife drama was just to set up Wally West.

Ooh, good call! I was figuring all that jibber-jabber was to foreshadow the arrival of the son (and get rid of the mother quickly), but I hadn't thought it out to its logical conclusion.

So, the hawks. I hope they look better than the one in Smallville. Worst. Wings. Ever.

Ah, c'mon, I give 'em an A for effort and for at least stretching their...nope, not gonna go there. That the JSA and Legion showed up in Smallville at all was enough for me. My expectations were pretty low then. I NEVER expected to be looking forward to a Flash-Arrow crossover battle with the Atom, Hawkgirl, and others involving Vandal Savage!

Barry might as well tell Patty about his secret ID.

LOL! I thought that too. It does make things so much easier, and she surely can be trusted. The comics always erred on the side of telling nobody even when it made perfect sense, and the TV shows err on the side of telling everyone (Detective Lance, Linda Park, Len Snart). The TV one seems more logical, but it takes away some of the farcical fun, which I guess is probably the reason.

-- MSA

Yeah, I'm not happy at all about how they're portraying Jay. I think they have difficulty finding decent reasons to write people out of the show. That's the one drawback to everyone knowing Barry's ID -- it makes for real crowd scenes in the mission room.  

On the other hand: Gorilla City! Yahooo!

Heard a theory about Zoom at my LCS last week. It's one I'd heard before, and I gie it some credence, so I'm going to give it a little space and offer these SPECULATIVE POSSIBLE SPOILERS.

I'm just speculatin' on a hypothesis...

Okay, here goes...

Zoom is the Henry Allen of Earth 2. There's a hint pointing that direction in one of the Earth-2 scenes naming Ollie's dad, Robert Queen, as the Arrow. And it's a development that could set up some extra drama and give John Wesley Shipp more to do. But furthermore....there's a chance that it was Earth 2 Henry Allen that appeared in the most recent episode. I've read in one lace that  Zoom might have scooped up our Henry immediately after he got out of prison, and so therefore was the one to make the lame excuse about going to find himself rather than spend time with his son. Shipp has said in an interview that he sure doesn't want to get into a speed suit again -- it was a pretty uncomfortable experience and he doesn't envy Grant Gustin one bit -- but that could be misdirection.

It might not be true, but it's my favorite theory so far.

Hmmm. That would go a long way to explaining why Henry Allen up and moved instead of spending time with his son, which any normal person would have done.

And maybe that's what happened to Jay, too. Zoom said, "Bow out, or I kill all these people."

It could be. Jay might be operating in secret for whatever reason, until he can get his speed back. I hope so -- I hate to see him just give up.

Wow, a lot happened in this most recent episode!

First, there was the introduction of Vandal Savage and the Hawks, which we expected. Tying Savage into the Hawks' origin was a nice bit of streamlining, switching him in for Hastur, the reincarnation of the evil priest Hath-Set.

And then there's the introduction of Velocity 6 -- what seems a precursor to Velocity 9, a speed drug Vandal Savage was getting people hooked on during the Baron run in the early days of Wally's book. 

Plus, some fantastic banter with all the Arrow folks -- including Damian Dahrk and Malcolm Merlin, neither of whom I expected to see in this two-parter. This was a really fun episode, for everyone but Cisco. (Despite his on-point conditioner game!)

"So, the hawks. I hope they look better than the one in Smallville. Worst. Wings. Ever."

No, the worst wings ever were the angel wings from Kevin Smith's Dogma. (See? You'd repressed those, hadn't you?)

Finally got around to watching this week's episode last night, only to discover it was a two-parter and the conclusion had already aired. I hate when that happens.

Oh, no! I hope it's out there streaming for you.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service