COMICS RELATED

TEEN TITANS GO!

Wednesday, Dec. 8 (7 p.m. ET/PT) “A Holiday Story” — Santa Claus enlists Beast Boy's help in getting him back into the Holiday Mob, which is run by Baby New Year.

BOOM! STUDIOS

BASILISK #5

BUCKHEAD #1 (OF 5)

Story: Shobo Coker | Art/Cover: George Kambadais | $3.99

What strange secrets lie in the mysterious town of Buckhead, USA?

Toba and his mother, a renowned scientist, have just immigrated to the U.S. But instead of living in the Big City like Toba always dreamed, they've moved to a sleepy little town in the Pacific Northwest called BUCKHEAD.

In the middle of the picturesque and pedestrian town, Toba discovers that things aren't as perfect as they seem ...

Toba and his newfound friends find a strange video game, a perfect replica of the town and its people. Soon Toba is on the run from men in black, with his friends brainwashed by microchips.

An astonishing new series from Shobo Coker (Outcasts of Jupiter) and George Kambadais (The Black Ghost) perfect for fans of Eve and Home Sick Pilots!

CLICK HERE for more info, preview.

BUFFY THE LAST VAMPIRE SLAYER #1 (OF 4)

Story: Casey Gilly | Art: Joe Jaro | Cover: Ario Anindito | $4.99

Can a lone Slayer save what's left of humanity?

Buffy Summers is the last Slayer. Now in her 50s, she wages a one woman fight against the forces of darkness, who prey on humanity in the daylight unimpeded thanks to a magical catastrophe that has nearly blotted out the sun.

The same disaster robbed Buffy of her friends and ended the Slayer line, forcing her into an endless guerilla war. That is, until she stumbles across something she hasn't seen in a long time -- hope, in the form of a prophecy and the young girl who carries it.

The Multiverse explodes as writer Casey Gilly (Femme Magnifique, You Died) and artist Joe Jaro (Firefly) bring you a dystopian tale of Buffy Summers as you've never seen her before for fans of Wonder Woman: Dead Earth, Batman: Last Knight On Earth and Future State: Wonder Woman.

CC sez: Fiftysomething Buffy, Wastelanders, "Old Man" everybody, Superman and the Authority ... what is the trend toward depicting over-the-hill superheroes? Are comics just exploring an unexplored wrinkle in superhero fare, or is it an appeal to older readers? If it's the latter, I'm in the target market, but I don't really want to read about superheroes with the same aches and pains I have — or worse, are my age and don't have them. That would be too much to bear.

MAGIC THE GATHERING (MTG) #9

MIGHTY MORPHIN #14

DARK HORSE COMICS

AMAZING SCREW-ON HEAD & OTHER CURIOUS OBJECTS TPB

CC sez: I have this in a couple of formats, and have seen the cartoon, but am still tempted to buy it again. It's just so out there.

DAISY #1 (OF 5)

From writer and illustrator Colin Lorimer (The Hunt, Harvest), one of graphic fiction’s emerging unique creative voices, and colorist Joana Lafuente (Transformers, Firefly) and letterer Jim Campbell (Giant Days, Blade Runner 2019) comes Daisy, a tale both horrific and beautiful.    

A desperate mother’s five-year search for her missing son leads her to the small town of Brimount and to the mysterious Phillips family. Daisy Phillips, like many teenagers, has a hard time fitting in, but not for the usual reasons. Daisy stands eight-and-a-half feet tall and is still growing, but her troubles with ill health, daily ridicule and custom-made clothing are only the tip of the iceberg. Daisy may well be descended from a race of cannibalistic giants spawned from the outcasts of Heaven!

Says Lorimer about the project, “I’m delighted to be back at Dark Horse Comics! Their logo attached to Daisy gives it the ‘horror' seal of approval.”

CLICK HERE for preview.

DARK TPB

GOD OF WAR: FALLEN GOD TPB

GRENDEL: DEVIL'S ODYSSEY HC

SIN CITY VOL 2: A DAME TO KILL FOR DLX HC (4TH ED)

SONIC THE HEDGEHOG ENCYCLOSPEEDIA HC

TOM CLANCY’S THE DIVISION: REMISSION HC

WITCHER VOL 6: WITCH’S LAMENT

DC COMICS

ARKHAM CITY: THE ORDER OF THE WORLD #3 (OF 6)

BATMAN #118

Story: Joshua Williamson | Art/Cover: Jorge Molina | $4.99

New creative team! Start of a new story arc as Batman leaves Gotham! "Abyss" part one! As Gotham celebrates surviving Fear State, Batman retreats alone into the darkness. But when he learns of a mystery involving Batman Inc., it forces the Caped Crusader to leave Gotham for a brand-new adventure! Thrills, chills and international intrigue await! The Dark Knight begins a new story with superstar artist Jorge Molina and new writer Joshua Williamson!

CC sez: So, is the plan to have New Batman be the "real" Batman in Gotham City, and have Old Batman be a globe-trotter until sales require his return? I bet that's the plan.

BATMAN ’89 #4

BATMAN: URBAN LEGENDS VOL 1 TPB

CRUSH & LOBO #7 (OF 8)

DARK KNIGHTS OF STEEL #2 (OF 12)

DC HORROR PRESENTS SOUL PLUMBER #3 (OF 6)

GREEN LANTERN #9

JOKER PRESENTS A PUZZLEBOX #5 (OF 7)

JUSTICE LEAGUE INFINITY #6 (OF 7)

MAD MAGAZINE #23

ONE-STAR SQUADRON #1 (OF 6)

Story: Mark Russell | Art/Cover: Steve Lieber | $3.99

Who you gonna call? One-Star Squadron! Meet DC’s superhero team where heroism meets capitalism. This ragtag group of heroes led by Red Tornado is here to provide service with a smile. All you must do is send a request via their on-demand hero app and they’ll answer any call. Whether it’s a children’s birthday party or an alien invasion, no job is too small or too big! Brought to you by Eisner nominee Mark Russell (The Flintstones, Wonder Twins, Exit Stage Left: The Snagglepuss Chronicles) and Eisner winner Steve Lieber (Superman’s Pal Jimmy Olsen), you’ll want to invest early in this one-of-a-kind miniseries that promises a story filled with heart, heroism and humor.

CC sez: I would would have thought Power Girl to have more dignity than this. And doesn't she own her own company? Maybe that was just pre-New 52.

SAGA OF THE SWAMP THING BOX SET

SUICIDE SQUAD #10

SUPERMAN: SON OF KAL-EL 2021 ANNUAL #1

Story: Tom Taylor | Art: Steve Pugh | Cover: John Timms | $5.99

Jon Kent’s first days as Earth’s new Superman have been a trial by fire. His actions have already put those he loves in harm’s way. He has stood strong in the path of constant attacks, but the immovable object is about to meet an unstoppable force. Lex Luthor — the man, the myth, the menace — returns to Metropolis.

CC sez: I've never been a fan of fill-in characters — I hated it when Marvel replaced Cap, Iron Man and Thor for a while with second bananas, and I'm not crazy about the Future State Batman — so I'm not into Substitute Superman.

But even if I was, one question should come up with fill-in heroes that this cover suggests: How successful would they be against bad guys who had fought their predecessors, and therefore have great experience with the hero's power set? Seriously, Luthor ought to take out Supes Jr. pretty handily. He won't of course, but he should.

SWAMP THING #10 (OF 10)

SWAMP THING VOL 1: THE BECOMING

WORLD OF KRYPTON #1

Story: Robert Venditti | Art: Michael Avon Oeming | Cover: Mico Suayan | $3.99

A modern telling of one of the most storied periods in comics! Krypton is a utopia admired across the universe for its achievements in science and culture, but its shining towers and regal people conceal a planet rotting at its core. When a catastrophic event befalls Krypton’s natural world, it points toward a mass extinction in the making. Jor-El, head of Krypton’s revered Science Council, embarks on a mission to save a world that may already have passed the point of no return. Shining new light on the famous characters of Krypton’s past — including Jor-El, General Dru-Zod, and even a young Kara Zor-El — World of Krypton combines action, cosmic wonder and political intrigue in a story as much about our world as the one on the page.

CC sez: There was a time when I could keep up with the different versions of Krypton. There was the '40s version of super-powered people (later relegated to Earth-2), the Silver Age version where Jor-El wore a sun on his chest, the icy, arrogant version from Superman: The Movie, the Byrne version of emotionless technocrats. Then variations on all of them started appearing, not just in comics but also movies and TV, and I've completely lost track. Is Zor-El alive? Is Kandor in a bottle? Does Argo City exist? Are all Kryptonian births artificial, or what? Was Krypton a technological paradise or an autocratic dystopia? I honestly don't know. I think it changes with each new appearance according to plot needs.

A lot about the Silver Age was silly or boring, and yes, needed to go away. But one thing I miss about it is the decades-long continuity that remained consistent. There's no benefit to having been a fan since the '60s, because I don't know any more about a character's status quo than the guy who's read the latest issue. And probably less.

DYNAMITE

JAMES BOND: HIMEROS #3

NYX #2

RED SONJA (2021) #4

VAMPIVERSE #4

IDW PUBLISHING

G.I. JOE: A REAL AMERICAN HERO #288

STAR TREK: MIRROR WAR — DATA #1

Story: Celeste Bronfman | Art/Cover: Roberta Ingranata | $3.99

The spotlight turns to Data in this one-shot set in the Mirror Universe of The Next Generation! Expand upon the world of The Mirror War!

Data and Barclay's relationship has been strained since Barclay returned from the Prime universe. When Barclay becomes preoccupied with revenge, Data determines to help him right past wrongs so that the human can return to peak operating efficiency. Can the two put aside their differences and work together?

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES: BEST OF SHREDDER #1

TRANSFORMERS: WRECKERS — TREAD & CIRCUITS #3 (OF 4)

IMAGE COMICS

A THING CALLED TRUTH #2 (OF 5

CROSSOVER #10

FRONTIERSMAN #3

GOOD ASIAN #7 (OF 10)

INKBLOT #14

LADY MECHANIKA: THE MONSTER OF THE MINISTRY OF HELL #1 (OF 4)

Joe Benitez explores the mysterious origins of his eponymous steampunk adventuress in the forthcoming Lady Mechanika: The Monster of the Ministry of Hell.

Set in an asylum full of grotesque inmates, sadistic guards and a fanatical doctor, Lady Mechanika: The Monster of the Ministry of Hell introduces readers to a young lady who wakes to find her arms and legs have been replaced with mechanical limbs. But who among this gruesome menagerie is the true monster of the Ministry of Hell? The origins of the notorious Lady Mechanika!

"Image has always held a special place in my heart since it's where I started my career, so I'm very happy to have Image be the new home for Lady M," said Benitez. "I hope that by bringing her to Image she will be introduced to a whole new audience that didn't know she existed out there in the comicverse. We're crafting a bunch of fun, exciting and cool new stories and adventures for our heroine and can't wait to get them out there for you! This particular story is a great jumping on point for new readers, while existing fans will be excited to see more of Lady Mechanika's past finally revealed!"

Lady Mechanika can best be described as the character-driven storytelling of Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein and Marjorie Liu and Sana Takeda’s Monstress wrapped in a dark Victorian atmosphere similar to Mirka Andolfo’s Mercy.

CC sez: I'm glad to see this title move to Image. The couple of FCBD books I've read about Lady Mechanika were pretty good, and she deserves the name brand seal of approval, wider awareness and larger press runs that Image will bring. She's sort of in the Frankenstein genre, albeit a steampunk version, and with the built-in pathos of not know who she was before being rebuilt, who rebuilt her, or why she was rebuilt. Her search for answers is the crux of the series.

And, of course, having mechanical parts means she can do cool cyborg stuff.

MADE IN KOREA #6 (OF 6)

NITA HAWES’ NIGHTMARE BLOG #2

POST AMERICANA #7 (OF 7)

SEA OF STARS VOL 2

SILVER COIN #7

SYPHON TPB

TROVER SAVES THE UNIVERSE #5 (OF 5)

“...exciting, colorful and hilariously fun.” — CBR

Today Image/Skybound revealed a first look at Trover Saves The Universe #5, wrapping up the hit limited series from acclaimed author Tess Stone, based upon the eponymous hit video game by Justin Roiland, Co-Creator of Rick & Morty and CEO of Squanch Games.

As Trover’s narration becomes more and more hazy … the story reaches its big conclusion! Some characters live ... other characters die, and uh … all of the various subplots converge in, like, a super-cool payoff! Plus: Where do Power Babies come from? We answer the BIG questions RIGHT HERE, yessiree!

"Working on this series has been a blast, and I can’t wait for everyone to see how Klover, Bo and Trover’s slightly murderous adventure ends,” said Tess Stone. “It was a ton of fun working with Justin and the team at Skybound and I hope it shows on the page!” 

Trover Saves the Universe is currently available on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch and PC and VR via Steam, the Epic Games Store and the Oculus Store.

CC sez: I don't understand the appeal of this at all! Maybe playing the video game would clue me in, but that's not gonna happen, so I'll continue to live in ignorance.

TWO MOONS #7

WALKING DEAD DLX #28

WHAT’S THE FURTHEST PLACE FROM HERE #2

MARVEL COMICS

AMAZING FANTASY #5 (OF 5)

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #80.BEY

Story: Cody Ziglar | Art: Ivan Fiorelli | Cover: Mark Bagley | Beyond Board: Zeb Wells, Kelly Thompson, Saladin Ahmed, Cody Ziglar, Patrick Gleason

A new era of AMAZING SPIDER-MAN beyond your wildest expectations begins when Peter Parker is hospitalized and Ben Reilly takes over as the new Spider-Man. And that’s only the start. Brought to you by an all-star lineup of writers and artists including Patrick Gleason, Cody Ziglar, Zeb Wells, Kelly Thompson and Saladin Ahmed, the Spider-Man mythos is ready to web-sling into uncharted new territory! And come December, this explosive saga will see exciting developments including an epic showdown between Miles Morales and Ben Reilly, a possible rekindled romance between Aunt May and Doc Ock, and more!

Writer Cody Ziglar and artist Ivan Fiorelli team up to reunite one of the most controversial couples in comics history in AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #80.BEY. With her nephew at death’s door, May Parker is not just going to sit around accepting that Peter’s ailments aren’t solvable with conventional means. Aunt May is going to seek unconventional means by way of her ex-fiancé Doctor Octopus!

CC sez: Speaking of substitute heroes, here's another. Two, actually.

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #81

Story: Saladin Ahmed | Art: Carlos Gomez | Cover: Arthur Adams

Then it’s new Spider-Man vs. newest Spider-Man in Saladin Ahmed and Carlos Gómez’s AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #81! The Beyond Corporation paid a lot of money for the Spider-Man trademark and does not take kindly to an unlicensed Spider-Man running around Brooklyn. So it’s up to Ben Reilly to take Miles Morales down.

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #82

Story: Saladin Ahmed | Art: Jorge Fornes | Cover: Arthur Adams

Something horribly wrong is happening at the McCarthy Medical Center. Check in on Peter Parker’s recovery in Saladin Ahmed and Jorge Fornès’ AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #82. Mary Jane Watson is trying to nurse the bedridden Peter to health, but when Peter’s roommate disappears, MJ has to step up. Can MJ and a nonmobile Peter get to the bottom of this hospital mystery?

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #83

Story/Art: Patrick Gleason | Cover: Arthur Adams

Next up, the creator behind the biggest cover in the last decade is going to show you what he can do with one of the biggest Spider-Moments in decades when Marvel’s Stormbreaker Patrick Gleason takes over writing and art duties in AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #83. The Web-Head is facing unbeatable odds again. Can he rise to the occasion and save the day?

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #84

Story: Cody Ziglar | Art: Paco Medina | Covers: Arthur Adams, Cory Smith

Writer Cody Ziglar returns in AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #84 alongside artist Paco Medina. The events of ASM #80.BEY have set Doctor Octopus on a collision course with the Beyond Corporation and their Spider-Hero in residence. Ben Reilly isn’t the only one with new tricks up his sleeve, or, in Ock’s case, MANY sleeves.

MILES MORALES: SPIDER-MAN #33

Story: Saladin Ahmed | Art: Michele Bandini | Cover: Taurin Clarke

December will also see an exciting Beyond tie-in in MILES MORALES: SPIDER-MAN #33 by writer Saladin Ahmed and artist Michele Bandini. The events of AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #81 open up a can of worms and send Miles and Shift on a quest that will have dire effects on both of them. What does this mean for Ben Reilly? Keep reading, True Believers!

BETA RAY BILL: ARGENT STAR TPB

CAPTAIN AMERICA/IRON MAN #1 (OF 5)

See two weeks ago.

DAREDEVIL BY CHARLES SOULE OMNIBUS HC

DEATH OF DOCTOR STRANGE: BLADE #1

Story: Danny Lore | Art: Dylan Burnett | Cover: Bosslogic

Writer Danny Lore and artist Dylann Burnett explore the consequences for Marvel’s vampire community in DEATH OF DOCTOR STRANGE: BLADE. A long time ago, Doctor Strange destroyed every vampire in the world with one spell, including Dracula. Now, with Strange dead, Dracula’s Vampire Nation celebrates! That doesn’t sit too well with Strange’s old friend, and new Vampire Nation sheriff, Blade the Vampire Hunter! But what happens when interlopers from another dimension invade the vamp’s territory and put all the bloodsuckers’ lives at risk? Will Blade do his duty to protect them? Or will he help make sure the vamps stay wiped out this time?

DEMON DAYS: X-MEN CREATORS CUT #1

DEVIL’S REIGN #1 (OF 6)

Story: Chip Zdarsky | Art/Cover: Marco Checchetto | $5.99

After years of buildup in the pages of their Eisner-nominated run on Daredevil, writer Chip Zdarsky and artist Marco Checchetto will bring their superb talents for high-stakes storytelling to the greater Marvel Universe in DEVIL’S REIGN! Launching in December, DEVIL’S REIGN will be a classic-style Marvel Comics crossover event, tying into some of your favorite ongoing titles and ushering in exciting new series. The far-reaching saga will center around Kingpin as he broadens his lofty goals in a scheme that will unleash dark secrets about some of Marvel’s greatest heroes. Having kept these shocking truths to himself for ages, Kingpin is ready to ruthlessly expose his foes to gain more power than ever before and he has more than enough dirt on the Marvel Universe to come out on top!

Wilson Fisk went from Kingpin to mayor of the biggest city in America and is going to bring his full criminal and political power to bear on the super heroes who call NYC home. The man who once destroyed Daredevil has set his sights on The Fantastic Four, Iron Man, Captain America, Spider-Man, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage and more. And since it’s Fisk, once he takes them all down, you know he’s going to sign it. CROSSBONES! TASKMASTER! TYPHOID MARY! SHOCKER! WHIPLASH! RHINO! KRAVEN! Fisk has an army of super villains at his command – and this is just his opening salvo. For years, Fisk has waited for his time to strike, and YOU WON’T BELIEVE the aces he’s got up his sleeves!

“Our Daredevil plan just kept getting bigger and bigger, to the point where it would clearly affect the Marvel Universe in huge ways,” Zdarsky explained. “Thankfully, Marvel recognized this as well and gave Marco and I the opportunity to tell the story on a massive stage with DEVIL’S REIGN! This is a proper Marvel event springing from the pages of Daredevil and I think all Marvel readers will love what’s coming!"

"Devil's Reign. Finally here we are. I am really excited and happy to work on this Marvel event. I am also proud of it since it comes directly from our Daredevil’s series, that both, Chip and I, have been working on for a long time now,” Checchetto said. “When I read the story of this event I was speechless. As a fan, I can tell you that I am happy to see Daredevil among the protagonists of this event. I have the opportunity to draw so many characters that I love so much, heroes and villains, and I'm trying to give everyone the dignity and respect they deserve. It will be great."

"He’s trying to sway the public using cherry-picked examples of various incidents, Matt’s recent troubles being one of them. He’s a politician and he’s actually pretty good at it, which is a problem for our heroes. But, beyond that, he has some aces up his sleeves that are definitely not about politics," Zdarsky told IGN about his take on Kingpin. "What makes Fisk an elevated threat is his mind, not his fists. That’s always been the case. Sure, Thor could turn him into paste, but Fisk knows that and has planned for it. And Marvel super heroes aren’t about to overthrow democracy."

In anticipation of this upcoming crossover event, some of Marvel’s top artists have delivered outstanding new artwork for a brand-new variant cover series! These VILLAINS’ REIGN VARIANT COVERS transform your favorite heroes into some of the fierce foes that will take charge in the upcoming event. Witness unexpected mashups including:

• Amazing Spider-Man #82, Mary Jane as Nightmare, by Joshua "Sway" Swaby
  • Avengers #51, She-Hulk as Kraven the Hunter, by Pete Woods
  • Black Panther #2, Black Panther as Sabretooth, by Kael Ngu
  • Captain America/Iron Man #2, Captain America as Princess Python, by Leinil Francis Yu
  • Captain Marvel #35, Captain Marvel as Mole Man, by Todd Nauck
  • Death of Doctor Strange #2, Doctor Strange as The Ringmaster, by Annie Wu
  • Hulk #2, Hulk as Kingpin, by Pete Woods
  • The Thing #2, Thing as Death, Dan Panosian

CC sez: I don't see how Kingpin, even if he is mayor of New York, could give A-list Avengers a hard time. Tony Stark doesn't operate out of NYC (traditionally he's been located on Long Island or the West Coast) and can come at Fisk both financially and politically, while being more or less safe from physical attack. Fisk has no jurisdiction over a Scandinavian deity. Dr. Strange doesn't even have to stay in this dimension, much less New York. And taking on Captain America publicly means losing the next election. But I guess you're supposed to read the series to find out!

Meanwhile, Fisk has always been a behind-the-scenes player whose primary foes were street fighters like Spider-Man and Daredevil. Raising his profile like this should put him squarely in the crosshairs of the Avengers. They should make it their highest priority to put him away, or at least ruin his name politically by revealing his nefarious activities. I doubt they will, any more than some rando (or police officer) will kill The Joker, because good villains are hard to come by. But a boy can dream. 

FANTASTIC FOUR: FATE OF THE FOUR HC

FANTASTIC FOUR: LIFE STORY #5 (OF 6)

GIANT-SIZE BLACK CAT INFINITY SCORE #1

See two weeks ago.

HELLIONS #18

Story: Zeb Wells | Art: Zé Carlos & Stephen Segovia | Covers: Stephen Segovia, Philip  Tan, Peach Momoko, Kael Ngu: Inhyuk Lee

One of the most buzzed about X-Men titles on stands today, Zeb Well and Stephen Segovia’s HELLIONS has delivered a dramatic and action-packed examination of mutantkind’s most dangerous mutants.  This December, this unpredictable saga will come to an end in a final issue that will rock the very foundation of Krakoa and send shockwaves throughout mutantkind!

Orphan-Maker has committed a horrible crime. As he faces the ultimate penalty, the cracks in the team are on full display. Secrets, betrayals, alliances and loss all come to the surface as the fallout of Orphan-Maker’s actions threatens to end all the Hellions have worked toward!

Plus, a final decision is made regarding one of the most troublesome figures in mutant history: Madelyne Pryor AKA THE GOBLIN QUEEN. Fierce X-Men ally turned vengeful X-Men villain, the controversial clone of Jean Grey and ex-wife to Cyclops has served many roles over the years. Will Maddie return as a friend or foe?

“Hellions may be coming to an end, but our team of outcasts are gonna leave their mark on the way out the door,” Wells promises. “This includes bringing back one of my favorite characters, Madelyne Pryor! And take it from me, this is only the beginning for our Queen ...”

To celebrate her return, new HELLIONS #18 variant covers by  Philip Tan, Kael Ngu, InHyuk Lee and Marvel Stormbreaker Peach Momoko depict Maddy in all her fiery glory! Check out all five covers now and be there for the end of an era and the beginning of a saga X-Men fans have waited decades for when HELLIONS #18 hits stands on December 1! For more information, visit Marvel.com.

CC sez: Evidently we're in for a changing of the guard in X-titles with the end of the Jonathan Hickman era (with Inferno #4). Cable's already canceled, here goes Hellions and there are rumors and portents about other titles. In fact, here are some mysterious teasers Marvel sent out this week:

What does all of this mean? I have no idea. But I like that, not having any idea. After 50-plus years of X-comics, it's refreshing. Anyway, here's what Marvel sent me for Hellions #18.

IMMORTAL HULK VOL 10: HELL AND DEATH TPB

INFERNO #3 (OF 4)

JESSICA JONES: ALIAS OMNIBUS HC

MARVEL’S VOICES: COMMUNITY #1

Story: Edgar Delgado, Leo Romero, Karla Pacheco, Nico Leon, Erica Harrell, Desirée Proctor, Daniel José Older, Terry Blas, Juan Ponce, Julio Anta, David Betancourt, Yehudi Mercado, Claibel Ortega, Amparo Ortiz, & Alex Segura | Art: Francesco Herrera, Leo Romero, Vanesa Del Rey, Nico Leon, Paco Medina, Germàn Peralta, Julius Ohta, Wilton Santos, Enid Balàm, Alitha Martinez, Mauro Fodra, Adriana Melo, Caio Majado, Alba Glez, & Gustavo Duarte | Cover: Joe Quesada; George Pérez, Jack Abel & Java Tartaglia; Mateus Manhanini; Maria Wolf & Mike Spicer; Nabetse Zitro & Jesus Aburtov; Humberto Ramos & Edgar Delgado; Natacha Bustos

Marvel Comics is proud to present MARVEL’S VOICES: COMUNIDADES! This latest one-shot in the groundbreaking Marvel’s Voices series will continue the tradition of highlighting the cultural richness of Marvel Comics and uplifting new voices in the comic book industry. Following the success of MARVEL’S VOICES: LEGACY and MARVEL’S VOICES: PRIDE, MARVEL’S VOICES: COMUNIDADES will turn the spotlight to Latinx heroes and creators from the Marvel Universe.

These all-new stories will feature thrilling adventures of some of Marvel’s most popular heroes while celebrating the range of their cultural heritage as told by fan-favorite writers and artists and those making their Marvel Comics debut.

Writer Terry Blas introduces a brand-new hero in an action-packed adventure spinning out of his acclaimed Reptil series.

New York Times best-selling author Daniel José Older revisits the legacy of Marvel’s first super hero of Latino descent, Hector Ayala aka White Tiger, in an inspiring story rooted in real history

Catch up with the current White Tiger, Ava Ayala, when author Amparo Ortiz has the young hero confront the dark nature of her powers.

Travel to the past with writer Juan Ponce to witness Nina the Conjuror, the Brazilian Sorcerer Supreme of the 1950s, battle the raging nature spirit known as Anhangá.

Plus an introduction by renowned comics scholar Frederick Luis Aldama about the history of Latinx heroes and creators in the comic book industry.

Stay tuned for information on the other stories in this collection including works by Karla Pacheco, Alex Segura, Leo Romero, Edgar Delgado, Nico Leon and more!

"Marvel Voices has been an amazing force in comics, letting creators from so many backgrounds bring our heritage and identities to Marvel stories,” Pacheco, who recently penned a Marvel’s Voices essay for Marvel.com, said. “I'm honored to bring this very personal story from my own childhood to the book through Robbie Reyes."

"This is such an excellent project, and I'm very happy to get to be part of it,” Older said. “I've read all the Marvel’s Voices collections and loved them, so it's great to be able to write for one! ¡Pa'lante!"

"Marvel Voices is such a unique project that I feel really drills down on the core Marvel tenet of reflecting the world outside your window -- so when the opportunity came to help put together Marvel Voices: Comunidades and celebrate the Latinx community, I couldn't have been more excited,” Co-Editor Lauren Amaro said. “And that excitement only continues to grow as story pitches continue to roll in -- trust me, you're not going to want to miss out on what this talented group of creators have got cooking up!"

Marvel’s first Latino super hero, White Tiger, was created by writer Bill Mantlo and artist George Pérez in 1974’s DEADLY HANDS OF KUNG FU #19. Since then, Marvel has introduced many heroes of Latino-descent from a multitude of different backgrounds including current stars such as Miles Morales, America Chavez, and Reptil.

CC sez: I'm completely over this concept. Probably makes money, tho.

REPTIL: BRINK OF EXTINCTION GN

SILK: OUT OF THE SPIDER-VERSE VOL 3 TPB

STAR WARS #19

STAR WARS: CRIMSON REIGN #1 (OF 5)

Story: Charles Soule | Art: Steven Cummings | Covers; Leinil Francis Yu, Ario Anindito

This December, writer Charles Soule and artist Steven Cummings will team up for a saga that will have major repercussions on the Star Wars galaxy in STAR WARS: CRIMSON REIGN. Announced last month, this five-issue limited series will be the second installment in the trilogy that began in this year’s WAR OF THE BOUNTY HUNTERS crossover. The series promises to shed even more light on the untold history of the Star Wars galaxy during the Age of Rebellion and will feature the return of beloved characters, shocking twists, epic feats of the Force and a story that will reach from Star Wars' darkest underworld all the way to the Imperial Palace on Coruscant. Fans can get a new glimpse at what’s to come in artist Ario Anindito’s new connecting cover. Adorning the covers of all five issues, the stunning piece spotlights some of the major players involved in the upcoming epic, including Qi’ra, the fan-favorite crime leader from Solo: A Star Wars Story who’s set to make a major impact on this current era.

“While Qi'ra plays a huge part in WAR OF THE BOUNTY HUNTERS, that event is really a Boba Fett story,” Soule told IGN. “I have a bigger story I'm going to tell with Qi'ra and Crimson Dawn, and it's all connected to the reasons she kicked things off in WAR OF THE BOUNTY HUNTERS in the first place. You'll learn more about that in the closing pages of WAR OF THE BOUNTY HUNTERS #5, out in October, and I think fans have no idea how exciting and new this story will feel.”

CC sez: Dark Horse did a Crimson Empire miniseries some years ago, but it doesn't seem related. This mini looks to be using a similar name, but doing something else.

The best part is that it says above that Crimson Reign is part two of a trilogy after "War of the Bounty Hunters," but is only five issues long! That's a relief.

STAR WARS HIGH REPUBLIC VOL 2: HEART OF DRENGIR TPB

STAR WARS WAR BOUNTY HUNTERS COMPANION TPB

X-MEN: FROM THE ASHES TPB NEW PTG

X-MEN INFERNO PROLOGUE OMNIBUS HC

X-MEN LEGENDS #9

OTHER COMICS & GRAPHIC NOVELS

AFTERNOON AT MCBURGER'S HC

By Ana Galvañ

A science-fiction graphic novella grounded in a familiar experience for most: spending an afternoon with our best pals over a burger and fries. But this joint has something more special than a Happy Meal: the "Once Party" menu.

The "Once Party" menu, for ages 11 and up, can only be ordered once (of course). But there's a catch: not everyone who does gets the special prize. Those who do, go to a room where they can view five minutes of one of three moments in their future. Galvañ manages to create a vivid world that is both a recognizable and alien depiction of adolescence. There are mean girls, and fast food, and BFFs with crappy older brothers, as well as familiar hints of 1990s design and fashion. Yet, it's also rife with futuristic flourishes like little robotic eggs that walk and talk, like anthropomorphic Alexas.

At its heart, however, Afternoon at McBurger's is a timeless story about friendship and innocence and the discoveries of adolescence (both good and bad), with layers to be revealed only through multiple readings. And Galvañ's visual style, anchored by a mastery of pastel and primary colors, will make you want to do so immediately.

AKIRA TORIYAMA MANGA THEATER HC

ARCHIE'S HOLIDAY MAGIC SPECIAL ONE-SHOT

Archie | 32 pages | $3.99

Story: Micol Ostow, Michael Northrop, J. Torre | Art: Gretel Lusky, Arielle Jovellanos, Dan Schoening | Colors: Matt Herms | Letters: Jack Morelli | Cover: Gretel Lusky | Variant: Gary Erskine

This holiday season, fans can curl up with a feel-good story for the season with ARCHIE’S HOLIDAY MAGIC SPECIAL #1 (ONE-SHOT), arriving Dec. 8 from Archie Comics. As the iconic character celebrates 80 years, the anthology will explore Archie and the Riverdale gang’s past, present and future with a heartwarming release that pays homage to celebrated holiday classics and modern romance stories.

It’s Christmas Eve in Riverdale, and Archie still can’t decide who should be his date for the annual Snow Ball -- Betty or Veronica? As the constant indecision leaves Archie in crisis, he is soon visited by a spirit guide that will help him rediscover the meaning of the season. Readers will be treated with delightfully fresh artistic takes on classic Archie Comics franchises including "Little Archie" and "Life With Archie" in this can’t-miss anthology one-shot spearheaded by Archie’s Senior Director of Editorial Jamie L. Rotante.

The all-new anthology will feature three separate stories penned by top writers including Micol Ostow, Michael Northrop, and J. Torres. Ostow is very familiar with the streets of Riverdale, previously writing the RIVERDALE: THE TIES THAT BIND original graphic novel and RIVERDALE comic book series for Archie Comics, alongside the best-selling RIVERDALE original novel series for Scholastic. Northrop is most recently known for his massively successful Dear Justice League and its follow-up Dear Super-Villains graphic novels for DC Comics. Meanwhile, J. Torres has a long history with Archie’s classic characters including JINX: LITTLE MISS STEPS.

“We were definitely inspired by the Archie reboot series from Mark Waid and Fiona Staples, and feel-good Hallmark movies for this fun and heartwarming anthology,” explains Rotante. “We think it’s a perfect way to celebrate 80 years of Archie by taking a trip through different eras of Archie’s life as he ultimately rediscovers the importance of friendship and community during the holiday season.

In regards to the creative talent contributing to the anthology, Rotante goes on to note, “I'm so thrilled to be working with the creative team on this book! Micol has such a knack for the characters' modern day voices, while J. Torres is a master of sentimental storytelling, especially involving the younger versions of the characters. It has also been a bucket list of mine to work with Michael Northrop, and his comedic voice works so well in this future scenario. We’ve also got three amazing artists contributing to this project. Gretel, Arielle, and Dan all have beautiful, animated styles that fit perfectly to each era in Archie’s life and I’m so excited for Archie fans to see their art for the first time here."

CC sez: I confess that I mourned a bit internally when Archie Comics basically abandoned its traditional approach to the Riverdale gang, one that had served since essentially 1941, and modernized them. I grew up in the Dan DeCarlo era, and the nostalgia is strong in this one.

But today is a different world than the one where teen humor comics sold well, one where a lot fewer people grow up in small towns (or want to) and certainly one that is a lot less white and a lot less heteronormative. I confess that even I find the original, whitebread Archie gang embarrassingly archaic, and prefer the modern, less-cartoony, deeper-story approach.

And, oh yeah, I love the horror stuff!

BILLY THE KIT #3

BLOOM #4 (OF 4)

CHAINSAW MAN VOL 8 GN

COMING BACK

Random House Graphic | Young Adult

Story/Art: Jessi Zabarsky

Preet is magic. Valissa is not.

Everyone in their village has magic in their bones, and Preet is the strongest of them all. Without any power of her own, how can Valissa ever be worthy of Preet’s love? When their home is attacked, Valissa has a chance to prove herself, but that means leaving Preet behind. On her own for the first time, Preet breaks the village’s most sacred laws and is rejected from the only home she’s ever known and sent into a new world.

Divided by different paths, insecurities and distance, will Valissa and Preet be able to find their way back to each other?

A beautiful story of two young women who are so focused on proving they’re meant to be together that they end up hurting each other in the process. This gorgeous graphic novel is an LGTBQ+ romance about young love and how it can grow into something strong no matter what obstacles get in the way.

CRIMSON CAGE #1 (OF 5)

DEVIL TREE #1

DINO MIGHTY VOL 1: HEIST AGE GN

EMINENCE IN SHADOW VOL 2 GN

ENCODED #2

FINAL FANTASY LOST STRANGER VOL 6 GN

FOR THE KID I SAW IN MY DREAMS VOL 7 HC

FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST FULLMETAL ED VOL 15 HC

GFT PRESENTS QUARTERLY HOLIDAY 2021

GRACELING GN

GUILLEM MARCH'S LAURA #2

HIGEHIRO AFTER BEING REJECTED VOL 2 GN

I'M THE VILLAINOUS SO I'M TAMING FINAL BOSS VOL 2 GN

JINX FREEZE GN

JUJUTSU KAISEN VOL 13 GN

KAGUYA SAMA LOVE IS WAR VOL 21 GN

KAIJU NO 8 VOL 1 GN

KNIGHTED #2 (OF 5)

LIVING WITH VIOLA GN

LUNAR ROOM #1

Story: Danny Lore | Art/Cover: Gio Sposito | Colors: DJ Chavis | Letters: Andworld Design | Design: Tim Daniel

Magic, tech, gangsters ... and one very tired werewolf.

Cynthia "Sin" Breaker used to be a lot of things. A werewolf. A mob enforcer for a powerful mage. A name feared on every street of Solar City. But now she's forcibly retired from all those things, trying to get over her past job and past loves.

"LUNAR ROOM started as a conversation with Tim Daniel about why I hadn’t done a werewolf comic," said Danny Lore. "That conversation created the seed of an idea — how would I get what I love about werewolves into a script that an artist could have fun with, rather than a more internal-sensation based tale. That, paired with the best advice I’ve ever been given (“Be less subtle,” as Adrian Wassel often reminds me!), gave way to LUNAR ROOM. From the genre-mash up to the story structure (chapter-based but not reliant on the issue number) to the very names of our characters (Sin Breaker and Zac Zero!), this is me pushing myself to be wonderfully unsubtle in my style."

"On a deeper level, LUNAR ROOM is also about identity and truth," added Lore. "Many of our characters are struggling with losing their identities, their understanding of the truths they’ve been told, and what to do with that hole in their lives. When their personal senses of power are so tied to their sense of self, can someone take the very core of who they are away, and how can they reclaim it?"

MAKER COMICS: CONDUCT SCIENCE EXPERIMENT GN

METHODS OF DYEING GN

THE MONTAGUE TWINS: THE DEVIL’S MUSIC

Knopf Books For Young Readers | Young Adult

By Nathan Page and Drew Shannon

The Hardy Boys meets Paper Girls in the second volume of this mystery series featuring teen detectives, witches, and now a mystery rock ‘n’ roll song capable of a sinister, Pied Piper-like hypnosis.

Alastair, Pete, Charlie, and Rachel aren’t just magical teen detectives in their coastal town of Port Howl–they are also members of a local teen rock band. Before a show one night, Charlie and Rachel meet a famous rockstar, Gideon, and invite him to their show. He’ll never come, but why not try, right? Little do they know, Gideon does show up, and he brings the threads of his dark past with him. In fact, he might even be the source of the rumored Devil’s Music, a limited-release song that entrances all of its listeners in a deadly hypnosis.

When Pete quickly gets drawn into Gideon’s web, it’s up to his brother and friends to save him. But Pete might not be the only Montague Twin at risk for Gideon’s spell…

MOTHER F GOOSE ONE-SHOT #1

MY BAD #2

CC sez: Egad! An homage to Fantastic Four Annual #5!

MYTHS & LEGENDS QUARTERLY PROPHECY

ONE PIECE GN VOL 98

OTHER LIVES TPB

By Peter Bagge

A darkly satirical graphic novel exploration — as only Hate comics creator Peter Bagge is capable of — of how people's identities, both real and created, become confused and conflated.

Other Lives follows three former college classmates: a self-loathing journalist whose family secret is the least of his problems; his girlfriend, whose obsession with getting married borders on Bridezilla status; a conspiracy theorist who may or may not work for the Homeland Security but definitely lives with his mother; and a divorced, unemployed gaming addict who lives in his car. While it's their past that unites them, it's their fabricated online identities — some more dangerous than others — that lead to their "real" lives colliding years later.

Originally published in 2010 by DC Comics' Vertigo imprint, Other Lives is Bagge's first post-Hate original graphic novel and has been out of print for several years. Fantagraphics is proud to publish this new edition, at a time when Bagge's oeuvre is enjoying renewed interest following the release of The Complete Hate in late 2020.

The first 150 preordered copies of Other Lives will include an exclusive Fantagraphics bookplate autographed by the author. Copies ordered after the release date will receive a bookplate while supplies last, so preorder now!

CC sez: I don't care for Peter Bagge's art, and by "don't care for" I mean "am actively repulsed by." So much so that I've never read a Bagge story to its end, and therefore have no idea if he's any good as a writer. Could be, as he keeps getting published. And even I will admit, glancing over this preview, that his rendering has improved — he's much more slick now.

All that being said, if you're into the Bagge (ha!), here's more for you.

CLICK HERE for more info.

PERSONA 5 MEMENTOS MISSIONS VOL 1 TPB

POPEYE VOL 1: OLIVE OYL & HER SWEETY HC

See two weeks ago.

QUEEN'S QUALITY VOL 13  GN

ROSEN BLOOD VOL 1 GN

RUSH #1

SAGA OF TANYA EVIL VOL 15 GN

SHI NO KAGE #5 (OF 6)

SOUR PICKLES GN

SPACE CORPS #1 (OF 3)

STAR RUNNER FALLEN STAR #2 (OF 3)

STAR RUNNER FALLEN STAR #3 (OF 3)

STUD & THE BLOODBLADE #3 (OF 3)

TAKANE & HANA VOL 18 LTD ED GN

WASTED SPACE VOL 4 TPB

WE NEVER LEARN VOL 19 GN

WEEDING GN

WOLVENHEART #9

WONDROUS WORLD GN

WORLD OF DARKNESS: CRIMSON THAW #3

YAKUZA LOVER VOL 3 GN

YONA OF THE DAWN VOL 33 GN

MAGAZINES

FILMFAX #160

HEAVY METAL #312

BOOKS

AIDALRO ILLUST TOILET BOUND HANAKO KUN ARK BOOK SC

THE ANGEL NEXT DOOR SPOILS ME ROTTEN LIGHT NOVEL VOL 3 SC

BLISTERING BARNACLES: THE A-Z RANTS, RAMBLES AND RAGE OF CAPT HADDOCK

DUCKSCARES: COOKING UP TROUBLES HC

FANTASTIC ILLUSTRATIONS OF TIMOTHY TRUMAN HC

MARVEL UNTOLD NOVEL: REBELS OF VANAHEIM SC

MARVEL: XAVIER'S INSTITUTE NOVEL — SCHOOL OF X SC

REIGN OF SEVEN SPELLBLADES LIGHT NOVEL VOL 4 SC

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• 9877369295?profile=RESIZE_710x

Is it just me or do Jor-El and Lara bear a striking resemblance to John and Maureen Robinson here? 

• Which version?

• Well, hey, look at that. You may be on to somethin', podnuh!9893639484?profile=RESIZE_710x

• Oh, you flipped it! I deleted the one I posted for ease of comparison.

• Great find on the photo. The more you look at it, the more obvious it is.

This reply was deleted.