So after many years of gentle and not so gentle prodding I have finally started watching Doctor Who.  In the past I have seen snippets of the new series, and generally walked away muttering “…alright …that was odd…don’t see much point in that.” However my friends BatMatt and Doc kept suggesting I try it (much the same way we kept suggesting Rich try watching Firefly…) and since I share a lot of tastes in
common when it comes to TV shows and comics a few months ago I relented and let Doc know that I had come to terms with fact that someday I would eventually ended up watching some Doctor Who but needed to know where to start.

Fast forward to two weeks ago when my father had me open a Netflix account so we could figure out why Netflix streaming wasn’t working for him (no streaming outside the 50 states and DC…you lose out if you live in a Commonwealth of the US it turns out…bummer).  Since I had started the clock on my 2 week trial I figured I might as well take advantage of it once we were back in Rochester.

So early last week I started out watching Season 1 of the New Doctor Who series, starring Christopher Eccleston as the Doctor. The first 13 episodes are available via Netflix streaming, and I have watched 12.

If you haven’t watched the series yet…you might as well stop reading unless you want to be spoiled as to how I reacted…

Views: 2213

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

They did enough missing time, costume changing in this episode to leave room for letting us know about all sorts of unseen complicating shenanigans down the line. 

Oh yes, indeed.  I really want to know what happened between the Doctor and Robo-Amelia.

There's now a whole paradox-thingie going on about River's name.

Do you get the feeling that Moffat came up with the title of this episode just so he could have an outrageous episode title to preview in the end credits for "A Good Man Goes to War" -- and then wrote an episode to fit the title later?  There's nothing important in this episode that required a Third Reich setting.

Rory continues to rock, punching Hitler, assuming he can ride a motor bike just because.

Yeah, Rory rocks.

I really wanted the episode to end with a scene in Hitler's office.  The room is empty and still disheveled.  All we hear is banging from the closet and a really bad, Monty Pythonesque German voice tentatively crying, "Hallo...?  Anyvun out zhere?  

"Anyvun...?  

"Goebbels...?"

Doctor Hmmm? said:

Do you get the feeling that Moffat came up with the title of this episode just so he could have an outrageous episode title to preview in the end credits for "A Good Man Goes to War" -- and then wrote an episode to fit the title later?  There's nothing important in this episode that required a Third Reich setting.

Yeah, Rory rocks.

I think going to Germany in 38 was to tie in to River's obsession with how all the bad things that happened in history were the Doctor's fault for not getting there and fixing things. The tesselecta have a different view of what the responsibilities of Time travel are.
And it's always the generic answer to what someone should do with a time machine...go back and kill Hitler...
From Diamond's new Previews catalogue:

Timelink: The Unofficial and Unauthorized Guide to Doctor Who Continuity

Over fifteen years in the making, Timelink offers an in-depth exploration of the complex continuity of the world’s longest running science fiction television program, Doctor Who. Author Jon Preddle presents fresh theories and solutions to some of the many continuity anomalies and discrepancies in the series. Volume one contains detailed analysis of every aspect of the doctor’s lives, friends and foes. Discovetr how todate the UNIT stories, what order the Dalek invasions of Earth took place, and how old the doctor really is. Volume Two contains a complete and detailed timeline of every one of the Doctor’s onscreen adventures from 1963 to 2009. Featuring notes on where the TARDIS lands, unseen adventures, timings, and every element of continuity seen and revealed along the way.

Saturday's episode was my favorite so far this season.

I watched it at lunchtime today.  I haven't thought enough about it try and rank it against others this season, but it certainly is powerful, and a good episode for Karen Gillan to show off her chops.
I don't know if I mentioned this before, but we really need TWO distinctly-labelled DOCTOR WHO threads-- one for the original show, another for the revival.  Otherwise, people who haven't seen one or the other won't have things SPOILED for them!

As for myself, this is why I open a spoiler thread for each story as I watch it.

Speaking of the old show, "Day of the Daleks" comes out on disk tomorrow.

Well this is my thread created to review the new series, so I think you need to assume spoilers for Eccelston on. Other who news can go in another thread.

Spoilers....

I loved the Girl Who waited. Arthur and Karen both did a fantastic job with the material. It is better not to think too hard about the setup which was weak, but the destination was amazing. Also, did anyone else think the Doctor looked really sinister in the end. Not for what he did, placing Rory in that position, but in that I suspect him of placing Amy in that position to test a theory about being able to change his own upcoming history at Lake Silencio.

Yes, I think the Doctor has always had a "sinister" side (from the Ninth on, certainly), but we haven't really seen that so much in the 11th Doctor... until now, that is.

The Doctor had his "dark" moments" from the earliest days, really.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service