So after many years of gentle and not so gentle prodding I have finally started watching Doctor Who.  In the past I have seen snippets of the new series, and generally walked away muttering “…alright …that was odd…don’t see much point in that.” However my friends BatMatt and Doc kept suggesting I try it (much the same way we kept suggesting Rich try watching Firefly…) and since I share a lot of tastes in
common when it comes to TV shows and comics a few months ago I relented and let Doc know that I had come to terms with fact that someday I would eventually ended up watching some Doctor Who but needed to know where to start.

Fast forward to two weeks ago when my father had me open a Netflix account so we could figure out why Netflix streaming wasn’t working for him (no streaming outside the 50 states and DC…you lose out if you live in a Commonwealth of the US it turns out…bummer).  Since I had started the clock on my 2 week trial I figured I might as well take advantage of it once we were back in Rochester.

So early last week I started out watching Season 1 of the New Doctor Who series, starring Christopher Eccleston as the Doctor. The first 13 episodes are available via Netflix streaming, and I have watched 12.

If you haven’t watched the series yet…you might as well stop reading unless you want to be spoiled as to how I reacted…

Views: 2548

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Doc Beechler said:
As a side note...I'm pretty excited that Steven Moffat's Sherlock Holmes (in the 21st century) series will be shown here as part of PBS Masterpiece Mystery later this year.

I've never even heard of that. Now I'm excited.
Co-written by Steven Moffat and Mark Gattis (who wrote Victory of the Daleks).

Fortysomething and The Last Enemy star, Benedict Cumberbatch will star as Holmes with The Office’s Martin Freeman as Doctor Watson, set in 2009 London, remaking Holmes as a “dynamic superhero” figure. Rupert Graves plays Inspector Lestrade and Coky Giedroyc will direct the series.

Doctor Hmmm? said:
Doc Beechler said:
As a side note...I'm pretty excited that Steven Moffat's Sherlock Holmes (in the 21st century) series will be shown here as part of PBS Masterpiece Mystery later this year.

I've never even heard of that. Now I'm excited.
Benedict Cumberbatch...now THAT, my friends, is a British name...
Ana: Half-hoping we don't see an Elizabeth I episode, for it can't be as funny as I imagine it will be.

Jeff: I’m reluctant to say anything about Queen Elizabeth, but if you keep watching beyond the series into the specials your curiosity will be assuaged (and judging by what you said, I think you’ll be pleased, too).

Well, I called that wrong. I thought you'd be pleased they didn't devote an entire episode to it, but rather dealt with it using a bit of throwaway dialogue. It may have been out of character for the Doctor, but I think that's the point; it shows where his head was at at that time.
Well the first half is already terrific!

Rich Lane said:
Just saw the second half of the Weeping Angels story. No spoilers, but I can safely say that with this episode the new season has at last hit its stride. This was the best story of the season so far.
Just watched it, and I agree it was wonderful. One thing that struck me was how quickly Matt Smith talks and how much plot and stuff there is in each episode...I keep pausing and rewatching...I can't wait to see where all of it is going.

Ana Canino-Fluit (Anacoqui) said:
Well the first half is already terrific!

Rich Lane said:
Just saw the second half of the Weeping Angels story. No spoilers, but I can safely say that with this episode the new season has at last hit its stride. This was the best story of the season so far.
Tracy just bought her first 11th Doctor and Amy hardcover novel. (there are alreay three available, with more on the way.) She's read ALL of the Ninth Doctor and Rose novels, probably all of the Tenth Doctor and Rose novels, at least one Tenth Doctor solo novel, and is working her way through Tenth Doctor and Donna (although she avoids Martha like the plague).
So, who's the final boss for this year, do you think? Perhaps a certain long-lost solar engineer?
Jeff of Earth-J said:
Tracy just bought her first 11th Doctor and Amy hardcover novel. (there are alreay three available, with more on the way.) She's read ALL of the Ninth Doctor and Rose novels, probably all of the Tenth Doctor and Rose novels, at least one Tenth Doctor solo novel, and is working her way through Tenth Doctor and Donna (although she avoids Martha like the plague).

Which one did she get?

"Hey, who turned out the lights?"
We met a co-worker and her teenage daughter for lunch. I introduced the two of them (the girl in particular) to [the new] Doctor Who, which they/she have been watching on their/her own. Throughout our lunch conversation the both of them referred to the 9th, 10th and 11th Doctors as the 1st, 2nd and 3rd (despite Tracy’s and my best efforts). They both expressed interest in “starting at the beginning” but were intimidated by the long shelf of selections. Today I brought in “An Unearthly Child” and the first Peter Cushing movie. I don’t see them as “hard core” and thought the color movie a better choice for them than the b&w TV serial. You should have heard Tracy geeking out explaining the show. You would have been so proud of her! I’m sure the two of them had absolutely NO idea what she was talking about half of the time.
I often wonder what folks who have little or no awareness of the old show make of scenes like the ones in "The Next Doctor" or "The Eleventh Hour", where we see the faces of the pre-Eccleston Doctors.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Publisher News

The Justice League comes to an end in 'Justice League' #75

Posted by Captain Comics on January 20, 2022 at 5:30pm 4 Comments

Joshua Williamson & Rafa Sandoval Team up to kill the team on April 19…

Continue

Groups

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service