So after many years of gentle and not so gentle prodding I have finally started watching Doctor Who.  In the past I have seen snippets of the new series, and generally walked away muttering “…alright …that was odd…don’t see much point in that.” However my friends BatMatt and Doc kept suggesting I try it (much the same way we kept suggesting Rich try watching Firefly…) and since I share a lot of tastes in
common when it comes to TV shows and comics a few months ago I relented and let Doc know that I had come to terms with fact that someday I would eventually ended up watching some Doctor Who but needed to know where to start.

Fast forward to two weeks ago when my father had me open a Netflix account so we could figure out why Netflix streaming wasn’t working for him (no streaming outside the 50 states and DC…you lose out if you live in a Commonwealth of the US it turns out…bummer).  Since I had started the clock on my 2 week trial I figured I might as well take advantage of it once we were back in Rochester.

So early last week I started out watching Season 1 of the New Doctor Who series, starring Christopher Eccleston as the Doctor. The first 13 episodes are available via Netflix streaming, and I have watched 12.

If you haven’t watched the series yet…you might as well stop reading unless you want to be spoiled as to how I reacted…

Views: 2264

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

God, The Waltons - I haven't watched that show in years.
We've watched the first three seasons of Sarah Jane Adventures... one time each. It's juvenile, but entertaining. I'd recommend it to anyone with young children. To you I'd recommend Torchwood first.
I've kind of avoided Torchwood, 'cause I'm not much of a Captain Jack fan,
I've seen most of Sarah Jane Adventures. There may be some third series episodes I haven't seen, but I have enjoyed all that I have watched. I see quite a bit of resemblance to Classic Doctor Who.
I best like the ones that are more-or-less sequels (or follow-ups) to Doctor Who episodes.

Jeff of Earth-J said:
We've watched the first three seasons of Sarah Jane Adventures... one time each. It's juvenile, but entertaining. I'd recommend it to anyone with young children. To you I'd recommend Torchwood first.

PowerBook Pete (The Mad Mod) said:
I've seen most of Sarah Jane Adventures. There may be some third series episodes I haven't seen, but I have enjoyed all that I have watched. I see quite a bit of resemblance to Classic Doctor Who.

I think both are fair assessments. RTD intended Torchwood to skew to a more adult audience than Doctor Who, and SJA to a younger audience. I watched SJA until I lost BBC America, and enjoyed it. I've seen a few episodes on the Internet since then -- notably, the episodes where the Doctor made a guest appearance. The return of Jo Grant was awesome (although, from a thematic standpoint, RTD was recycling "School Reunion.")

I'm inclined to think Bob might enjoy SJA more than Torchwood, even though Torchwood is a meatier drama. Or I could just be assuming he and I have the same tastes.
I had forgotten that Bob's "not much of a Captain Jack fan." I think Torchwood is more about the interaction of all the characters, but Jack Harkness is certainly central. Given that, I change my recommendation to SJA first (although I personally still prefer Torchwood).

I haven't seen the SJA episode with the Doctor (that's in season four) and I didn't even know there was one with Jo Grant. After Liz sladen's untimely death, it occurred to me they might be able to keep the series going somehow as The Jo Grant Adventures.

I haven't seen the SJA episode with the Doctor (that's in season four) and I didn't even know there was one with Jo Grant.

So far as I'm aware -- I think Pete's more up on this than I am -- there's two SJA Doctor stories, one with Ten and one with Eleven.  IIRC, both are two-part stories, in both of which the Doctor makes a sort of cameo in the 1st ep and has an actual role in the 2nd. Also IIRC, his appearance on SJA was the last time Tennant actually played the role.

The Jo Grant episode was the two-parter with the Eleventh Doctor ("Death of the Doctor").  It's the first time Sarah Jane has ever met Jo, and the first time the Doctor has seen Jo since "The Green Death."

Oh, wait a minute. I did see the two-parter with 10. (Must've been season three.)

I definitely haven't seen the one with 11 and Jo. (That must have been the one that dispensed with the regeneration limit...?)

That must have been the one that dispensed with the regeneration limit...?

Or so some corners of the Internet would have it.  I find it impossible to believe that Moffat would let RTD make such a major change in the Doctor's mythology in a throwaway line in SJA (or that RTD would want to do that to Moffat).  I think it's pretty clear in context that Eleven was just being glib (if not outright yanking someone's chain), and it was never meant to be taken seriously.

Oh ... and there's some lovely dialogue at the end of that ep where RTD (thru Sarah Jane) tips his hat to some other Companions.  Pure fan service, but I ate it up (and I suspect you will, too).

PowerBook Pete (The Mad Mod) said:
I watched an episode of The Waltons a couple of days ago, titled "The Big Brother." There are a couple of characters in the episode that the Baron could easily make into the first Doctor and Susan in his Earth-44 line. It especially works when Grandpa Walton finds the true location of the address the girl gives him. If you have DirecTV, this episode will air again on 21 October on GMC.

Recorded it Friday and watched it over the weekend. Tracy's review: "Worst Doctor Who ever." On a releated note, when we turned on the TV to watch the recording, this is the commercial that was playing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bywh_r0bvGs&feature=related

Look for the First Doctor (looking more like William Harnell than Richard Hurndall ever did) in a cameo appearance.
Jeff of Earth-J said:

Recorded it Friday and watched it over the weekend. Tracy's review: "Worst Doctor Who ever." On a releated note, when we turned on the TV to watch the recording, this is the commercial that was playing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bywh_r0bvGs&feature=related

Look for the First Doctor (looking more like William Harnell than Richard Hurndall ever did) in a cameo appearance.

But you did see what I meant about that episode, right?

As for the commercial, yes, it looks like William Hartnell wearing Peter Cushing's costume.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service