So after many years of gentle and not so gentle prodding I have finally started watching Doctor Who.  In the past I have seen snippets of the new series, and generally walked away muttering “…alright …that was odd…don’t see much point in that.” However my friends BatMatt and Doc kept suggesting I try it (much the same way we kept suggesting Rich try watching Firefly…) and since I share a lot of tastes in
common when it comes to TV shows and comics a few months ago I relented and let Doc know that I had come to terms with fact that someday I would eventually ended up watching some Doctor Who but needed to know where to start.

Fast forward to two weeks ago when my father had me open a Netflix account so we could figure out why Netflix streaming wasn’t working for him (no streaming outside the 50 states and DC…you lose out if you live in a Commonwealth of the US it turns out…bummer).  Since I had started the clock on my 2 week trial I figured I might as well take advantage of it once we were back in Rochester.

So early last week I started out watching Season 1 of the New Doctor Who series, starring Christopher Eccleston as the Doctor. The first 13 episodes are available via Netflix streaming, and I have watched 12.

If you haven’t watched the series yet…you might as well stop reading unless you want to be spoiled as to how I reacted…

Views: 2262

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

ha! I am not the spoilerphobe in the family!

Doc Beechler said:
Sorry! Ignore me!
I am watching the Lazarus Project right now...and it really feel very Buffy-like.
I feel bad for the older lady in that one.
Yeah, she gets ratted out pretty thoroughly.
The Lazarus was quite cruel to her...but it he was already before he mutated.

Doc Beechler said:
I feel bad for the older lady in that one.
S3.e 6: The Evolution of the Daleks: Eh…okay then the Daleks are down to one again…and the best the Doctor can do for Pig-man Lazlo is live in the welcoming community of the Hoovervilles? Can't whip up some genetic mutational soup to fix him back up? Um dud.

S3.e7: The Lazarus Experiment: For some reason this episode more than any other felt like it could have easily been a Buffy episode. Maybe the whole old-powerful seek youth at great unexpected cost, or maybe it was the Martha-Martha’s mom dynamic, whatever it was I finally saw it.

S3.e8: 42: Martha finally gets to phone home, but her mother already distrustful of the Doctor has called in officials of some kind associated to the future PM, and they don’t trust the Doctor. Glad to see the Doctor work so hard to save Martha...after using her as bait in the previous episode.

S3.e9: Human Nature: Finally a back in time episode that really clicks for me. Tennant really felt right as the Professorial John Smith and just the other day I was watching a BBC mystery series that featured the boy playing Timothy here, playing a nearly identical role, younger boy picked on by others at the boarding school.

S3e.10:The Family of Blood: So much heartbreak…Martha, John, Joan. Really a beautiful story by Paul Cornell, it really felt like the right kind of story in the right historical setting. I thought Tennant did a fantastic job distinguishing John from the Doctor, and really highlighting how frighteningly different he is from regular men. I have to love Joan for not accepting the Doctor’s offer, knowing full well that the Doctor can never her give her the love and future John Smith would have. She recognizes that in a way many of the Doctors companions have not.

S3e.11:Blink: Loved this episode. I haven’t yet seen Carey Mulligan’s “An Education” but she was very watchable in this episode. I really enjoyed the dialogue and the twists, fun and clever..hardly missed Martha and the Doctor. I also liked how Sally backed away from the Doctor and took Larry’s hand in the end, very wise of her I think.

I was surprised however to read in the Blink Wikipedia entry that ““The BBC Fear Forecasters (four children, aged 6, 8, 10 and 14, who rate each episode on how scary children will find it) gave this episode a 5.5 rating ("Off the Scale"). The only other episode with a rating above 5 is "The Impossible Planet", which received a 6 (Beyond Fear).” Honestly I think even my girls would endured this one just fine. It was tense and suspenseful, but not scary…I need gore or something disturbing like the mask-faces from the Empty Child for it to push it into scary for me.
Interesting, I was the opposite, I liked the Dalek story, didn't like Human Nature/Family of Blood. I thought Blink was a clever idea, not really all that scary.

Wow, you're already up to the last three episodes of the season - I'll be curious to see what you make of those.
Yeah...I have been moving very quickly through the seasons...amazing the number of chores I can do while carrying around my laptop. I think I am going to skip starting up Torchwood at this time, because honestly I can't handle starting another show, and I suspect that due to the more adult nature of that show I won't be able to keep up this pace.

The Baron said:
Interesting, I was the opposite, I liked the Dalek story, didn't like Human Nature/Family of Blood. I thought Blink was a clever idea, not really all that scary.

Wow, you're already up to the last three episodes of the season - I'll be curious to see what you make of those.
Yeah, I've avoided getting into either Torchwood or The Sarah Jane Adventures for a couple of reasons, but finding the time is a big part of it.
Geez, Ana. At least Lazlo isn't, oh, let's say DEAD. He's alive and the love of his life accepts his new look. I'd say he's doing pretty darn well.
Human Nature-Family of Blood-Blink...man, that was a fantastic run of episodes. The montage of John and Joan's life just killed me. Maybe it's the MD in me, but gore takes something out of the scariness for me. Those super-fast angel statues...brrrrrrr.
The Baron said:
Interesting as always, Ana.

A few notes: As you may or may not know, "Army of Ghosts"/"Doomsday" was the first meeting of the Cybermen and the Daleks. In the "old days" there was a sort of "unwritten rule" that the two should never meet, so this was a big deal for us aging fanboys.

It was a HUGE deal for one particular fangirl at Casa Beyond, as well. :)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service