Criminal Minds: "Amplification"

Views: 10803

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

BONANZA: THE NEXT GENERATION: This 1988 TV movie was written around Lorne Greene. As he became increasingly ill during production, his part was lessened until eventually he died. I remember thinking at the time that that's when they should have just scrapped it. The story is set in 1905 and the Cartwright clan includes...

Aaron (Ben's brother)

Annabelle (Joe's wife)

Benj (Joe's son)

Josh (Hoss's son)

Adam is not even mentioned, nor is Jamie, Ben's adopted son.

After Ben's Cartwright's death, the Ponderosa was left to his brother Aaron, who was never never seen in the series. (More about him later.) Mr. Mack (John Amos) has replaced Hop sing as cook. Joe is missing and presumed dead after the Battle of San Juan Hill fighting alongside Teddy Roosevelt's Roughriders in 1898. Joe would have been pushing 60 at the time. Michael Landon was still living at the time, and I assume, had the pilot movie been picked up as a series, Little Joe may have returned at some point. I don't know whether or not he or Pernell Roberts were approached for the movie.

In 1880, it was revealed, that Hoss met a young woman and fathered a child. Before he could send for her, though, he was drowned while saving a woman from a flash flood. (Dan Blocker died between seasons 13 & 14 of the TV show and, whereas it was acknowledged that Hoss died between seasons, the details were never revealed.) His son, Josh, never knew who his father was until his mother died. Assuming Hoss had abandoned them, he sets out for the Ponderosa seeking revenge. 

Little Joe was married Alice Harper in the first episode of the 14th and final season, but his marriage lasted only two episodes before she died. His (presumed) widow in the movie is named Annabelle, so she is obviously his second wife (she would have to be, anyway, given the age of their son), but at one point Annabelle tells Josh that Hoss was best man at their wedding, which couldn't be because Joe was widowed and not yet remarried by the time Hoss died.

When I saw this movie in 1988 I couldn't help but feel that Aaron Cartwright didn't deserve to inherit the Ponderosa. The very first thing he does in the movie is to sell part of the ranch to a mining firm which ends up strip mining it. He doesn't even realize how wrong this is until later in the movie. With Hoss and Joe dead, the Ponderosa should have gone to Adam, and if not Adam, Jamie. But as I said, Ben's two other sons were not even mentioned. The writers should have concocted some reason for their absence, but the blunder concerning Hoss being at Joe's wedding illustrates that continuity wasn't uppermost in their minds. 

If Adam Cartwright had returned to the Ponderosa after his father's death, that would have made this movie! Pernell Roberts' reasons for leaving the show in the first place are well known, but surely the running of the ranch after his years of globe-trotting would have been a meaty enough role. Reportedly Pernell Roberts did Trapper John, M.D. because he needed the cash at the time. He must have earned what he needed, because that show was off the air by the time of Bonanza: The Next Generation. We know that the Cartwright dynasty did not extend to the latter half of the 20th century, so I can only conclude Aaron Cartwright drove the Ponderosa into the ground through mismanagement.  

As far as I'm concerned,  the rule for TV Show "Reunion" movies should be:  The actors playing the lead characters should all still be a)alive and in reasonably good condition and b)willing to partifcipate.

No one wants to see the two surviving actors saying, "Gee, it's a shame that the others are all dead".

Also, no one wanted to see poor, deathly ill old Jim Backus being trotted out at the end of the later Gilligan's Island movies.

Also, TV "reunion" movies suffer more from re-casting than other kinds of movies do.  People want to see the old familiar faces, not just the old characters.  The minute Larry Hagman said no to the I Dream of Jeannie reunion, they should have scrapped it.  But, instead, Wayne Rogers  Are you kidding me?

BONANZA: THE RETURN: This 1993 TV movie is a remake (rather than a continuation) of Bonanza: The Next Generation. It, too, is set in 1905 and the threat is again strip mining. This time, though, it's not instigated by a well-meaning yet clueless Cartwright. Aaron Cartwright is gone, replaced as head of the Ponderosa by Bronk Evans. Who? Just a minute, I'll get there.

Joe is not merely MIA this time but dead (as is Michael Landon). His widow has also passed away, and they had two children, Benj and Sara. (Benj is the "black sheep.") Josh is given the same origin, backstory and introduction as in the B:TNG, but he's played by a different actor. Dirk Blocker, Dan blocker's son, also plays a role in the movie, but it isn't Josh. Dirk looks like a mini version of his dad, but they guy who plays  Josh looks more like Dan Blocker than Dirk Blocker does. (Lorne Greene's daughter played a minor role in B:TNG, but she's not in this one.) Adam's son is "A.C.," but still no mention of Ben's adopted son Jamie. Mr. Mack has been replaced by Buckshot, played by Jack Elam. 

The Ponderosa is now run by Bronk Evans, played by Ben Johnson. Johnson was in three episodes of Bonanza as three different characters, none of them Bronk Evans. A sepia-tone flashback to the original series (one of several) has been inserted to give the impression that Bronk was once top hand. If the Ponderosa were to be left to anyone other than a Cartwright, it should have been "Candy" Canaday (actor David Canary was still alive at the time), who was on the show for several seasons in the role of ersatz son after Adam left to roam the globe.

"The actors playing the lead characters should all still be a) alive and in reasonably good condition and b) willing to participate."

You're not wrong. Still, the first movie was titled "The Next Generation," and Pernell Roberts, Michael Landon and David Canary (not to mention Mitch Vogel, who played Jaime) were all still alive in 1988, even if Lorne Greene wasn't. The death of Cartwright patriarch with the participation of those three (or four) actors would have been the perfect opportunity to pass the baton to a new generation of Cartwrights.

The Baron said:

Also, TV "reunion" movies suffer more from re-casting than other kinds of movies do.  People want to see the old familiar faces, not just the old characters.  The minute Larry Hagman said no to the I Dream of Jeannie reunion, they should have scrapped it.  But, instead, Wayne Rogers  Are you kidding me?

You say that as if anybody who watched this movie was looking at Wayne Rogers ...

I still have to watch the final season of Brooklyn 99, but I've enjoyed Dirk Blocker as one of the two silliest cops we've ever seen. IMO, he does look a lot like his Dad. Maybe he didn't when he was younger.

PS: Glad to see that Jeannie got her belly button back.

BONANZA: UNDER ATTACK: In this 1995 sequel to Bonanza: The Return, Sara Cartwright is sidelined pretty early, and Bronc, A.C., Josh and Benj serve as stand-ins for (respectively) Ben, Adam, Hoss and Little Joe. Other than the time frame (circa 1907, I'd guess), this could have been an episode of the original series (maybe a two-parter). Leonard Nimoy guest-stars as Frank James. What really cheeses me off is that A.C. has been recast and he no longer speaks with a thick Australian accent.

PONDEROSA: After Under Attack, just for the heck of it, we watched the first seven minutes of The Ponderosa (on YouTube), which is a (deservedly) short-lived 2002 prequel TV about the Cartwrights set about 10 years before the beginning of Bonanza. I don't know what I was doing in 2002, but this one flew in completely under my radar; I didn't find out about it until yesterday (or, more likely, I took so little notice of it I completely forgot there was such a series). Ponderosa bears about as much resemblance to Bonanza as Star Trek: Discovery does to the original Star Trek

If anyone reading this is interested in Bonanza but doesn't have the time to watch 431 episodes, he might try watching Ponderosa instead and following up with the last two of the TV movies (not that I would recommend that). The Return and Under Attack could serve as sequels to the prequel and I wouldn't have any problem with it. That would be more like Battlestar Galactica and Galactica 1980

They should do a Bonanza sequel in which distant descendants of the Cartwrights run a ranch on a remote frontier colony planet.

Some predictions for this season of Superman and Lois, based on the first episode and the description for tonight's:

-Since they've basically dropped that Doomsday will be the Big Bad this season, I think the season will end with Clark/Kal's "death" and next season will play out the CW version of the Death and Return of Superman. They've already set up a potential Reign of the Superman, with Irons already a character, a version of Superboy in the wings, the Eradicator probably still in existence in some form, and a military project creating its own super-people.

-Although the series has thus far eschewed crossovers, enough time has passed that any discussion of whether we're in the near future or whether the twins aging fifteen years is a result of the Crisis reboot. I think we'll see at least one crossover, especially given this year's villain.

-"Sarah breaks plans with Jordan to spend time with Natalie." Sarah, who returned from summer camp a bit changed, and who isn't so interested in Jordan now, even though she likes him and he's being a really good boyfriend (especially for a teen boy). The show currently has no LGBTQ+ representation, it's half a teen show, so.... Sarah will come out (having realized, while being a camp counselor, that she's a lesbian) and start dating Natalie, about whom we know almost nothing.

Lois's involvement with Smallville politics will lead to her eventually running for mayor, after the current candidate she supports dropping out or being killed by a passing supervillain.

Ponderosa Planet!

The Baron said:

They should do a Bonanza sequel in which distant descendants of the Cartwrights run a ranch on a remote frontier colony planet.

"IMO, [Dirk Blocker] does look a lot like his Dad."

I don't disagree. What I said was, "Dirk looks like a mini version of his dad, but they guy who plays  Josh looks more like Dan Blocker than Dirk Blocker does." It's more of a size thing. I think Brian Leckner looks more like Hoss (especially when standing next to Dirk Blocker's character). 

(Also, Dirk Blocker isn't much of an actor and he can't ride a horse very well.)

Seeing the photos above reminded me that Dan Blocker played an alien in the Three Stooges' short "Outer Space Jitters." Here he is with the Stooges.

Ha! Now I am picturing Moe as Adam, Joe as Hoss and Larry as Little Joe.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

MethodEng replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
2 hours ago
Richard Willis replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"One of my favorite "Imaginary Stories." And I kinda like the all-blue costume better than…"
2 hours ago
Richard Willis replied to The Baron's discussion Movies I Have Seen Lately
"I think I mentioned this when Annie Live was going to be on TV, but what disappointed me about the…"
5 hours ago
Richard Willis replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion A Smithsonian Book of Comic-Book Comics
"So far, I've read the Captain Marvel intro you quote. The length of the story caused me to put…"
6 hours ago
Luis Olavo de Moura Dantas replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Swamp Thing
"Early post-Crisis Luthor was often depicted as such. Superman Vol. 2 #2, published almost two years…"
6 hours ago
"In the late 60s I got a Charlton comic that had the cover of a different title. Charlton also…"
6 hours ago
The Baron replied to PowerBook Pete, the Mad Mod's discussion Anything, Everything, or Nothing At All
"This came up in my Facebook memories today, something made for me by the late, great Rich Lane:"
11 hours ago
Lee Houston, Junior replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Except for the pinkish Iron Man and Thor's pink highlights, the Avengers cover doesn't…"
13 hours ago
Dave Palmer replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"From Tom…"
13 hours ago
Philip Portelli replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"There was one more Zatara appearance on an Action Comics cover, a full cast shot! "
14 hours ago
"Philip Portelli said: Zatara and Zatanna!  Surprisingly none of the "Zatanna's…"
14 hours ago
Lee Houston, Junior replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Steve W, et al: A March 1971 cover date is correct but if Charlton adhered to the general practice…"
14 hours ago

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service