During a brief slow moment at work, I started jotting down some questions about Marvel's Merry Mutants, the Original X-Men and came up with these:
- I'm positive that the first team of X-Men were indeed the first class at Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters. So Professor X was a certified teacher, going through regular high school courses, though how he taught phys-ed is another matter. But then he taught them college courses as well. So how credible could his diplomas be if no one heard of him before? How much of a benefit could degrees from Mutant High really be?
- How did Professor X function with no help whatsoever, no staff, no driver, no assistant? He was physically handicapped. How did he maintain the building and the property? Who cooked? Who kept the entire place clean? The X-Men were supposed to be students, heroes in training AND servants? Personally I think Charles mind-controlled the locals to do the mundane chores.
- Why didn't he find more teenage mutants? Was five his limit?
- Technically speaking, every X-Man that joined the team after Giant Size X-Men #1 could have been found much earlier. Most were teens when Professor X made it his mission to teach young mutants. Why was EVERY mutant Cerebro detected already an adult?
- The X-Men weren't that secret anyway. The government, the Fantastic Four and the Avengers knew about them. But when did the heroes learn about Professor X and his powers?
- When was it established that the Prof and Magneto were "old friends"? Was it Chris Claremont altering their history? Obviously the two knew each other in Uncanny X-Men #1.
- Was the Beast super-strong or just very strong? He certainly wasn't in the Hulk's or Thing's league, heck he wasn't even in Spider-Man's!
- I recall that Professor X made the team's parents forget that they were mutants. When did that stop? After enough time passed that they couldn't sue him? ;-)
- I wonder what they majored in? The Beast was a biochemist, Iceman a CPA, the Angel a businessman, Marvel Girl a model and Cyclops a radio announcer. Man, Prof X really did teach EVERYTHING!
- Were the Original X-Men the runts of Marvel's super-teams? Could they have even beaten Cap's Kooky Quartet? I mean a team with the Porcupine and the Scarecrow gave them a good scrap! Why were they so weak?
Obviously there are more questions but I'm X-hausted. Still I am X-cited to hear your responses and comments and I X-tend the invitation for you to do so! Hopefully there will be some X-pert opinions!