Views: 1813

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"It could be that Jerome isn't really dead. It could have been a staged death by Jerome and the "hero" Theo Galavan."

I discounted that possibility because of the whispered dialogue between them. Plus, Jerome would have to have been exampined and officially pronounced dead.

I like the new Michael Chiklis character and the task force.

I was taken aback when Alfred socked Selina in the jaw!

And Silver St. Cloud. Hmm...

My wife and I just caught up on the last two weeks (hey, we watch a lot of shows together, and we only have two nights a week!), and had a good time.

To my own surprise, I was kinda right about Jerome: He isn't the Joker, but he will INSPIRE the Joker, as we saw at the end of Oct. 5 episode. Or, that is to say, Gotham's scum element is going to be giggly to start with when Jack Napier (or whomever) comes along.

I like Chiklis, too, but it's a shame he didn't come along a few episodes earlier for Jim's sake. Now he's a murderer -- and, yes, he committed that murder in the course of a felony robbery -- and Penguin knows it. So where can he go from here? As Mr. Silver Age indicated, expediency isn't what good guys should do. Not only for moral reasons, but for practical ones. (But the moral ones are the most important, I quite agree.) This should be interesting. How you looking in the mirror, Jimbo?

The new task force didn't look too good against Zsasz, but as MSA said, I accept that they're going to show me the most dramatic scene possible, not the logical one. So despite what I saw, Harvey said they did great, so I must accept that they -- in the internal logic of the show -- did great.

I finally listened and learned how to pronounce Zsasz. It's simply Zazz, not zchazchz or anything complicated/foreign. OK.

Has anyone else noticed the mix of old tech. fashions and architecture dropped into the show like in the Michael Uslan Batman films? There seems to be a real effort to make this show look and feel like the 1989 Batman and its immediate sequel. I rather like it, and my wife showed what it's good for, when she asked "when the heck is this supposed to take place?" Microphones look like the '30s, clothes like the '50s, buildings like the '70s, phones like the '90s, but the show has Internet and such.

Lastly, I don't want to pick a fight, but the scene with Barbara in the police station didn't strike me any way at all like it did you guys. Since I follow this thread, I was expecting some awful thing where Barbara lingered in the station and dopey old Jim just didn't know what to do. That's not what I saw. Instead, what I saw is that she talked to him on the phone, and at the end of the conversation, gave him a clue that she was nearby. He looked around, saw her, and before he had time to do anything, she ducked out the door. He had to run after her to see where she went. Shouting at the cops -- well, what would he shout? "STOP THAT WOMAN" when she's no longer in the room? And besides, he has already demonstrated that A) he wants to bring her in himself, to "protect" her, and B) he doesn't trust a single Gotham City cop. He acted consistently with his behavior as we've witnessed it. So I had no trouble with the scene at all.

Again, I'm not trying to pick a fight. I'm just noting that two people (or more) can see the same scene and not come away with the same reaction. That's what makes horse races.

Captain Comics said:

Has anyone else noticed the mix of old tech. fashions and architecture dropped into the show like in the Michael Uslan Batman films? There seems to be a real effort to make this show look and feel like the 1989 Batman and its immediate sequel. I rather like it, and my wife showed what it's good for, when she asked "when the heck is this supposed to take place?" Microphones look like the '30s, clothes like the '50s, buildings like the '70s, phones like the '90s, but the show has Internet and such.

Here's a link to a Variety article from 2014 about the mix of eras in the Gotham show:

http://variety411.com/article/gotham-cinematographer-david-stockton...

An excerpt: "(Cinematographer David) Stockton worked closely with production designer Doug Kraner, costume designer Lisa Padovani and makeup department head John Perkins to illustrate the timeless quality emphasized of Bruno Heller’s script. The city of Gotham is composed of modern and classic architecture, automobiles from the 70s and 80s, the gritty atmosphere of former New York rock club CBGB, and 1950s noir films. The department heads put together a visual reference where they hung stills and snapshots that inspired and informed the look, and spent time watching films such as 'The Godfather', 'The French Connection' and 'Blade Runner' for inspiration."

IIRC, Batman The Animated Series took a similar approach.

Lastly, I don't want to pick a fight, but the scene with Barbara in the police station didn't strike me any way at all like it did you guys. Since I follow this thread, I was expecting some awful thing where Barbara lingered in the station and dopey old Jim just didn't know what to do. That's not what I saw. Instead, what I saw is that she talked to him on the phone, and at the end of the conversation, gave him a clue that she was nearby. He looked around, saw her, and before he had time to do anything, she ducked out the door. He had to run after her to see where she went. Shouting at the cops -- well, what would he shout? "STOP THAT WOMAN" when she's no longer in the room? And besides, he has already demonstrated that A) he wants to bring her in himself, to "protect" her, and B) he doesn't trust a single Gotham City cop. He acted consistently with his behavior as we've witnessed it. So I had no trouble with the scene at all.

I saw the scene as chaotic and much as you did.

Origin Story of First-Ever Female Firefly Ignites on “Gotham” 
Tonight and Next Monday, October 26 on Fox

Michelle Veintimilla Guest-Stars as Bridgit Pike/Firefly

GOTHAM will introduce the first-ever female Firefly (Michelle Veintimilla, “Not Cool”) in a special two-night event beginning tonight (8:00-9:00 PM ET/PT) and continuing next Monday, Oct. 26  (8:00-9:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. In the episodes, “Bridgit Pike” (Veintimilla) is enslaved by her brothers, a notorious gang of arsonists, and forced into the family business. When she catches the eye of Selina Kyle (Camren Bicondova), the young Catwoman and the soon-to-be-Firefly team up to put Bridgit’s fire-starting skills to good use. But after a deadly encounter with the Pike Brothers, the weak, quiet girl is transformed into a vengeful Super-Villain, hell-bent on destroying those who have wronged her.   

Watch/share a first-look clip at the introduction of Bridgit Pike and the infamous Pike family here: https://youtu.be/PcCtt7z4zCI. Also, attached is a custom DC Comics illustration of GOTHAM’s Firefly, to share on social media.

“We decided to make Firefly a woman because we wanted to describe how even a warm, loving and compassionate person can turn to the dark side when life pushes him or her that way,” explains show creator and executive producer Bruno Heller. “She's not driven by testosterone-fueled aggression, but by a burning sense of injustice. Michelle Veintimilla brings warmth and vulnerability to the role that conceals a steely core of strength and courage.”

Also on tonight’s episode, a rivalry between the Waynes and the Galavans resurfaces, and Gordon (Ben McKenzie) struggles to maintain order in the city. Then, next Monday, Kringle (guest star Chelsea Spack) and Nygma’s (Cory Michael Smith) relationship takes a new step, and Penguin (Robin Lord Taylor) and Galavan (James Frain) continue to battle for control of Gotham City’s underworld.

Michelle Veintimilla is a film, television and theater actress. She recently made her Broadway debut alongside Chita Rivera, in the Tony Award-nominated musical “The Visit.” Later this year, she will be seen in the feature films “Fathers and Daughters,” opposite Russell Crowe, Octavia Spencer and Aaron Paul; and “Love the Coopers,” which debuts this November. Last year, she starred in the independent Shane Dawson feature “Not Cool” and “The Chair.” Veintimilla’s recent television credits include “Blue Bloods,” “The Good Wife” and “Limitless.” She is a graduate of Carnegie Mellon University and currently resides in New York City.

GOTHAM: RISE OF THE VILLAINS is based upon the characters from DC Comics and is produced by Warner Bros. Television. The series is written and executive-produced by Bruno Heller (“The Mentalist”), directed and executive-produced by Emmy Award nominee Danny Cannon (the “CSI” franchise, “Nikita”) and executive-produced by John Stephens. “Like” GOTHAM on Facebook at facebook.com/GOTHAMonFOX. Follow the series on Twitter @Gotham and join the discussion using #gotham. See photos and videos on Instagram at @GOTHAMonFOX.

All episodes of GOTHAM: RISE OF THE VILLAINS are available on FOX NOW, Hulu and Fox On Demand. To learn more about FOX NOW, please visit www.foxnow.com.

For those of you have complained about few or no ramifications to the killing of a cop last season, then this episode is for you. Or is it a case of "too little, too late"?

Cap, the video link works but the jpeg won't display unless viewer logs into Yahoo.

How's it working now?

Now I can see the jpeg image.

Captain Comics said:

How's it working now?

Thanks for the heads up. When an image retains its source link, it looks OK to me but not to everyone else, so someone has to point it out.

What is it with people losing hands/arms these days? Good grief!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

Dave Palmer replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"1984-1985"
5 minutes ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Star Trek: Strange New Worlds
"STRANGE NEW WORLDS: As the episode begins, Enterprise is in drydock and has been for a year being…"
1 hour ago
The Baron replied to The Baron's discussion The List of 892 Super-Heroines
"Added: Herculina Miss X Platinum Wonder Woman Power Tower Savanna Sister Miracle Venus…"
3 hours ago
Peter Wrexham replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Yes, I was already considered the first and last issues of Showcase (not least because we also…"
3 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Richard Willis already posted the first and last of She-Hulk's second series. Here's her…"
3 hours ago
ClarkKent_DC replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Speaking of changing tastes, writer Michael L. Fleischer tried to breathe new life into this tired…"
9 hours ago
"Continuing on ... Jonah Hex graduated to his own series, titled Jonah Hex of course (March-April…"
9 hours ago
"Continuing this saga ... All-Star Western was retitled Weird Western Tales with issue #12…"
10 hours ago
"Another case of retitling but not renumbering: All-Star Western #1 (August-September 1970) Final…"
10 hours ago
The Baron replied to The Baron's discussion The List of 885 Super-Heroines
"Added Blackhawk Britannia The Choir Cutie Daiten Ladies Daiten Solaria 1 Daiten Solaria…"
10 hours ago
The Baron replied to The Baron's discussion The List of 870 Super-Heroines
"I'm not against "duplicates", per se, I've got three "Storms" onnthe…"
11 hours ago
JD DeLuzio replied to Alan M.'s discussion So, What Are You Reading These Days? (besides comics)
"Eric Choi's Just Like Being There-- Hard SF from the award-winning author and aerospace…"
12 hours ago

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service