In previous years, this was a memory box so we didn't miss any good nominations for the Cappies. With the Cappies hypertimed away, that doesn't mean we have to discontinue these threads. I've always liked going back at the end of the year and seeing the books and stories and moments that people really champion -- including plenty of stuff that I've forgotten about come Christmastime. 

So have at it, Legionnaires! It's a bold new year! What in 2017 has knocked you out?

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Is that a Frank Miller cover in the Archer and Armstrong book?

• It is, and I'm a little disappointed that it was chosen for the cover. This was the era of "zero issues," and the real first issue was #0 by BWS. It was also the era of crossovers, and the second and third issues were part of eight interlocking covers; the first months were all by Frank Miller, and the second month's by Walt Simonson. BWS wrote and drew the first twelve issues, which are what is included in the tpb. It's a quirky little series and I recommend it it anyone who has not read it, particularly fans of BWS's work.

04565017376.0.gif

Here's what they look like all together:

4mnkq5vvo7g81.jpg

• time2-omnibus-hc_059b737708.jpg

• Windfall! All these shipped today.

First there's the Bill Everett volume of Atlas Era Venus:

STL292054.jpg

Then there's an EC collection featuring the artwork of Jack Kamen:

STL298325.jpg

Then there's the first omnibus edition of Marvel's version of the Micronauts:

11214552095?profile=original

Finally, there's the second Marvel Masterworks Captain America collection of the DeMatteis/Zeck era.

034303722055_big.jpg

Life is good.

• I ordered my Venus from Instocktrades this morning. I should have it mid-week, next week.

• JUSTICE LEAGUE INTERNATIONAL OMNIBUS Vol. 3:

F313B303208CB2F148E999DA7B6DA3AA11F15B9F.jpeg

This is a pretty good volume, reprinting Justice League America #51-60 and Justice League Europe #26-26, plus a TON of other annuals and quarterlies and specials and giants and whatnot. It ends with Formerly Known and the Justice League #1-6) and "I Can't Believe It's Not the Justice League" (from JLA Classided #4-9) by the original team of Giffen, De Matteis and MaGuire. One of these days I'm just going to sit down and read these three volumes (and I'll throw in "The Detroit Era" omnibus as well).

• Two beauties this week. First up is...

STL298328.jpg

The legendary, creator-controlled horror magazine from 1969 collected at last! In 1969, a feisty new comics magazine emerged to rival the popular horror magazines Creepy and Eerie: Web of Horror. Conceived by a plucky, independent publisher, Web of Horror showcased instant classics of horror and science fiction by such rising stars of comic art as Bernie Wrightson, Michael Kaluta, Bruce Jones, Ralph Reese, Frank Brunner, Roger Brand, and Wayne Howard, as well as seasoned veterans such as Syd Shores and Norman Nodel, illustrating stories written by Otto Binder, Nicola Cuti, and others. Now, over 50 years later, Fantagraphics presents the complete Web of Horror in one expertly edited and designed volume. In addition to all three published issues, this collection includes over a dozen stories intended for subsequent issues that have been rarely or never-before published, several long thought to be lost and recently unearthed. Among these "lost" stories is Wrightson's "The Monster Jar," lovingly restored by Frederic Manzano. The Complete Web of Horror also features a wealth of historical and contextual essays, including the Foreword by original Web of Horror editor and science fiction novelist Terry Bisson; an account of the magazine's origin by the late Clark Dimond; the history of the magazine's rise and baffling demise by collection editor Dana Marie Andra; reminiscences by fanzine publishers Robert Lewis and Robert Gerson; and an Afterword by Richard J. Arndt.

• Second is...

STL316696.jpg

Alley Oop's time-traveling adventures begin!  Join Alley Oop as he fights in the Trojan War, joins Ulysses' Odyssey, visits Cleopatra's Egypt, sails the Spanish Main, plunges into World War II, and more!  Four complete years of beautifully restored daily strips, from 1939-1942, are presented in this oversize hardcover.

• Really cool! I'd never heard of Web of Horror, but it sounds terrific! And I know next to nothing about Alley Oop, beyond the song, and maybe seeing him in a few cartoons when I was a kid (and I'm not even sure about that!).

• Alley Oop started in 1933 capitalizing on the fascination with dinosaurs in the '20s and '30s, but it didn't really take off until it became "The Adventures of a  Time-Travelling Caveman." Starting in 2022, NEA Enterprises has reprinted...

1933-1938 by V.T, Hamlin - six volumes

1954-1962 by V.T. Hamlin - nine volumes (three more forthcoming in 2024)

1974-1988 - 15 volumes by Dave Graue (three more forthcoming in 2024)

1976-1978, 1982-1984 - Sundays by Dave Graue (1979-1981 forthcoming later this year)

...and, of course, other publishers have released collections over the years as well.

I think Alley Oop was on Archie's TV Funnies; that's probably the cartoon you are thinking of.

This reply was deleted.