As we are about to embark one the next box of my unread comics, I would like to thank all of you who come to read and/or comment on these threads. When I first started this project back in July 2006  (really?) on the old board I never thought I would even make it through the first box. The threads have helped keep me semi-honest here.

I'm pretty excited about this upcoming box. It is a very eclectic mix of comics. There are a bunch of my old standbys. Like Legion comics, Daredevil, Marvel Team-up, war comics. There is a ton of other stuff like '80s black and white comics, some Kirby, a touch of Vertigo. I don't know how much will inspire me to write about, and if it does others to comment, but I am looking forward to it.

I'm really stoked to have you with me. Let's get it on!

Views: 3135

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Scarlet Scoundrel?  I'd call him more the Pink "Pinky Pinkerton" Pinhead.

Well, they have toned down his cranium a bit.

As for Joe Staton, I enjoyed his work on Green Lantern, All Star Comics, Metal Men and "The Huntress" and "Plastic Man" back-ups.

I actually liked him better than I thought I would as well.

Robin Olsen said:

For some reason, I always came into Goldface stories expecting them to stink to high heaven but always walked away thinking, "He's not a bad little villian.", is it just me or did he have that effect on anybody else?

Green Lantern Special #1

Jan./Feb. 1988

Cover art by: Tod Smith

Story: With this Ring...!

Writer: Jim Owsley

Pencils: Tod Smith

Inks: Denis Rodier

John Stewart has been accused of crimes that Hal Jordan in fact committed as Green Lantern. (At least one guy said John wasn't the GL he saw). The U.S. State Department has agreed to turn him over to South Africa Nambia to stand trial for a diamond “he” stole. Once in the South African Nambian prison (a country in the grip of apartheid) he is repeatedly beaten, and told he will quickly be released if he will just sign a confession. John refuses to. I guess I should mention that John has given up his power ring.

Hal feels guilty over John's predicament, and wrestles with whether he should break John out of jail or not. Jordan thinks if he does break John out he will be violating his oath, and may have to give up being a Green Lantern. He flies to Oa to get council of the only remaining Guardian on the planet. He tells Hal that he is on his own, but does give Hal John's old ring in case he does decide to give it to him. The Emerald Crusader flies back to Earth, and gives John the ring. Leaving it up to him as to whether he wants to escape jail or not. John can choose to let the ring's charge run out.

Well not only does John Stewart break out of the jail, he releases all of the other prisoners as well. One of the leaders of the rebellious national movement, Dorian Alexander, convinces John to help he and his people fight the tyrannical rule of the government. Well, after John flies around and sees how all of the black South Africans Nambians are treated. John and Dorian make a few strikes against the government without much affect, but there is a huge celebration in the works, and Dorian has big plans.

Unfortunately, one of the other convicts, Lester Mills is on the loose, and he is pretty much a mad dog killer. He starts killing people. Superman reads what is going on in the paper, and he confronts Hal over what has been going on. He and Hal getting into a bit of an argument. Later, they patch things up. Hal telling Superman he will take care of John. Superman tells him he knew he would. John, on the other hand, has no idea what has occurred, as Dorian has kept it away from him fearing what would happen if Stewart found out. The big celebration is near, and Dorian has planted some bombs on South Africa's Nambia's two new aircraft carriers. Just in case John Stewart can't carry out their plan.

The day of the big shindig is here, and John shows up, and he is just about to blow apart the two ships with the ring created cannons, when Hal flies in and stops him. The two then get into quite a fight. Gunfire breaks out and Dorian gets killed as well as one of the higher up prison officials. The revolutionaries decide to blow up the boats, and John saves the white dignitaries from the explosion in a protective bubble. The black people there start yelling at him to kill them. He doesn't of course, and Hal tells him he knew he would let them live. John decides he has a lot to think about and flies into space.

I rather liked this comic. It wasn't you typical superhero comic, especially for the day it was created. I think my favorite eras of Green Lantern are when the Guardians aren't there to muck everything up. The art was pretty good for the most part. I just didn't like Tod Smith's Superman. He was bit too compact I thought. Outside of that it was fine. I did laugh when I saw Superman sitting in little arm chair in Hal's apartment waiting for him to arrive. I don't know why, it just looked funny. I just wished they had actually named Nambia as South Africa.

I loved that Wolfman/Staton run on Green Lantern. That was my favorite period of the book, and certainly the time I was the most emotionally invested in it. "Snowblind" blew me away!

Hawkman #3

Aug.-Sept. 1964

Cover art by: Murphy Anderson

We get two stories in the comic, and neither of them are really all that great. They are serviceable, but that is about it. Both are written by Garnder Fox with art by Murphy Anderson.

Let's begin with the cover story which is actually the second one in the book, "Birds in the Gilded Cage". The Hawks are one there way to Hawk Valley (seriously) when they attempt to capture a criminal gang. This gang is never given any name individually or as a whole. Our heroes haven't brought any of their arsenal with them and fly in only with their fists. The crooks pull out their guns and take aim. Suddenly a cage appears around the heroes and they are captured. Luckily, there is a force field as well that protects them from the bullets.

The Hawks find out it was created by some aliens, who look like owls, to protect them. The pair can read the alien's thoughts, but it can't read or understand them. The alien then flies off and makes an unusual flying maneuver when it leaves. Later, Hawkman explains to Commissioner Emmett that the aliens are just on Earth to replenish their food and water that was contaminated in space. A bird flies in a begins to chirp to Hawkman. This elicited by far this biggest laugh from me, as the Commissioner asks Hawkgirl to tell him what the bird is saying as he can't “tell a wheet from a tweet.” Anyway, the bird knows where they bad guys are.

When the Winged Wonders close in on the hoodlums they see the aliens flying in towards them. Hawkman makes Sheira fly a weird pattern that we later learn lets the aliens know to leave them alone. They then capture the bad guys. I just wonder how Hawkman learned what pattern let the aliens know to not interfere.

Over in the first story, there is weird goings on in front of this Egyptian statue as people and animals suddenly become deathly afraid of the nearest person they are near. I'm sure this will have no affect on the future story. Moving on, Commissioner Emmett has called in the feathered pair to stop a gang of air raiders who have committed a string of crimes in Midway City.

Two nights later they track the gang down as they are flying on their pogo-jets. The duo are making short work of the gang truthfully. They knock one off, he pulls the ripcord on his parachute, and lands in the arms of the police waiting below. All goes well until Hawkman knocks down the leader of the crew right near the Egyptian statue. Katar is then overcome with fear and flies away. He tells Hawkgirl that the dude just escaped from him. Afterward he does tell her what really happened, but doesn't know why he was so afraid. Long story short the dude gets a new gang together. Hawkman captures all of the lackeys, and Hawkgirl nabs the leader. They determine that the statue is what made Hawkman so scared, and they reverse the polarity of the mineral inside of it and stop making people so afraid.

Normally I like stories like this, but there was just something off with both of them that I didn't care to much for that I can't quite put my finger on. Oh well.

That story with the Pogo-Jet Bandits was probably the first Hawkman solo story that I read, reprinted in a Detective Comics 100-Pager. I thought it was a neat little story and Murphy Anderson's artwork was very crisp and expressive. There is a great bit where Katar has to prove to himself that he's not a coward.

Thinking about it now, though, I have to wonder how MUCH damage did that statue cause over the years???

I know since no one else was around to reverse the polarity of the mineral!

Philip Portelli said:

That story with the Pogo-Jet Bandits was probably the first Hawkman solo story that I read, reprinted in a Detective Comics 100-Pager. I thought it was a neat little story and Murphy Anderson's artwork was very crisp and expressive. There is a great bit where Katar has to prove to himself that he's not a coward.

Thinking about it now, though, I have to wonder how MUCH damage did that statue cause over the years???

Midway City Museum Guard #1: "Another couple broke up in the garden tonight."

MCMG #2: "Not again! Did she run away in sheer terror?"

MCMG #1: "Nope, this time it was him!"

MCMG #2: "Geez, last time the woman actually went through the hedges! Why does this keep happening?"

MCMG #1: "I dunno. But no wonder attendence is down."

MCMG #2: "I'm not going back there. They can steal whatever they want from the garden, even that Egyptian statue for all I care!"

MCMG#1: "I bet the complaints was why Director Emmett 'retired' and why we got this Hall guy who no one seems to know! Walking around with his big muscles and his smart attitude. Like he's so above us!"

MCMG #2: "Yeah but his wife's a mega-babe!"

I am about to leave to go out of a town, so I don't have time to put up a whole review (re-reading, editing, pics, etc.) I am ready for this eventuality with something I haven't done in a while with a list of some of titles I have skipped:

DNAgents: A good series. Very much a series of its time with a bunch of teens growing up with superpowers. IE Teen Titans, X-Men.

Myth Conceptions: An adaptation of the Robert Aspirin novel. I had no idea this existed. I loved the Myth books back in junior and senior high. Really fun to find it.

Nightcrawler: I was finally glad to finish this series after reading the first issue back in the mid-'80s

Flash: I did post a number here, but I just scratched the surface of what I read.

Groo: Sometimes good and sometimes not funny at all

See ya next week!

Justice League of America #206

September 1982

Cover art by: Dave Cockrum & Romeo Tanghal

Story: The Secret That Time Forgot!

Writer: Gerry Conway

Guest Pencils: Carmine Infantino

Inks: Romeo Tanghal

We begin in the 25th century with a father and his son in the Space Museum. Oddly, the boy has learned about all of the individual heroes but has never heard of the Justice League. The dad then gives his son (and us) a brief history of the demons Abnegazar, Rath and Ghast. The trio were still imprisoned in the past and there were three objects which could free them, but the JLA has them stored in their trophy case.

Well the team is in the midst of moving to there new satellite HQ, and Green Arrow is in charge of packing up the trophies. The demons cast an illusion upon him to not see the objects. Interestingly, they had used up a decade's worth of magic to cast the spell. Years later (1982 for those keeping score at home) a young mountain climber slips and falls into the mouth of the cave of the old base. The demons then cast another spell, and the young man breaks the glass that hold the items of power. The man takes them, and sells them to a pawnbroker. Here is the one point that the story loses me. This pawnbroker just happens to be into witchcraft and stuff. He then puts down a chalk pentagram and summons the demons. Once the three appear they startle the man, and he messes up the chalk diagram. The demons kill him, and take the items. For clarity they are: the Silver Wheel of Nyorlath, the Green Bell of Uthool, and The Red Jar of Calythos.

What is the League up to? Well they are on their satellite base holding an election for the new chairperson. Zatanna wins! She bemoans the fact that neither Superman no Wonder Woman could stay for the post-election party. The Flash doesn't care at all, which immensely amused me. Apparently, The Flash has a crush on Zatanna. I had know idea. During the party, the demons attack the outside of the satellite. The Elongated Man shocks them with 10,000 volts and they scurry away.

The heroes track the fiends to Stonehenge, somehow. The trio incapacitates the Leaguers, except for Zatanna. Which Batman was counting on. She uses her magic, and destroys the three objects. The demons are so excited! They are now free to leave and do whatever they please. Yet, before they are able to escape, Zatanna recreates the items and recaptures the demons.

A pretty fun done in one story. There were two things of interest that I mentioned above. The amount of time that has lapsed, from the demons last appearance I would figure 12-13 years. Also, that The Flash has a crush on Zatanna. Who knew? Ralph even asks Barry about his other girl, and he tells him, “Yeah I have a girl, but whenever I am around Zatanna....”

Zatanna became the JLA chairperson at around the same time Dream Girl was elected Legion leader, Liberty Belle ran the All Star Squadron, the Wasp led the Avengers and Storm took charge of the X-Men. Girl Power!

Barry had a serious crush on the Mystic Maid since she started wearing her George Perez costume in #192. Though she was alwas portrayed as younger than the other JLAers, she finally stopped looking like a teenager with that ponytail! 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

Richard Willis replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
51 minutes ago
Luis Olavo de Moura Dantas replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Swamp Thing
"Jim Steranko comments on that in the first volume of his excellent History of Comics.  When…"
1 hour ago
Richard Willis replied to PowerBook Pete, the Mad Mod's discussion Anything, Everything, or Nothing At All
"From Den of Geek: Blade Runner Became a Sci-fi Classic by Being a Terrible Philip K. Dick…"
3 hours ago
ClarkKent_DC replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Swamp Thing
"The state of New Jersey legally forbids people from pumping their own gas. Oregon did up until…"
4 hours ago
Captain Comics replied to Wandering Sensei: Moderator Man's discussion What Comic Books Have You Read Today?
"New Comic Book Day for me as a lad was Monday. That’s when the distributor dropped off the…"
4 hours ago
Richard Willis replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion All in Color for a Dime
"We all have not-so-good days."
4 hours ago
Lee Houston, Junior replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Based upon Richard Willis' kind offer above, while the two covers from George Perez's…"
5 hours ago
Richard Willis replied to Wandering Sensei: Moderator Man's discussion What Comic Books Have You Read Today?
"SHAM COMICS V2 #3: My favorite story of the issue is "It Happens Every Wednesday"…"
5 hours ago
Captain Comics replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion All in Color for a Dime
"Clearly, senility has set in. Got a Blazing Saddles reference wrong, too."
6 hours ago
Richard Willis replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Swamp Thing
"Jeff of Earth-J said: It's an implausible situation (especially a full-service gas station in…"
6 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Swamp Thing
"I have observed that phenomenon twice, both in Timely comics from the '40s which I read on…"
6 hours ago
ClarkKent_DC replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Swamp Thing
"From what I've read, the fear/concern/risk to be avoided was that the ink on the cheap…"
7 hours ago

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service