Justice League of America #144

July 1977

Cover by: Dick Dillin & Frank McLaughlin

Story: The Origin of the Justice League – Minus One!

Writer: Steve Englehart

Pencils: Dick Dillin

Inks: Frank McLaughlin

This is one of those books that tries to clean up one of those continuity glitches that bothered, oh, five people. This one explaining how the JLA actually was around before Green Lantern made his debut (going by cover dates of comics). Not a bad comic, but nothing great. A ton of guest stars in it, which made it more fun. It features a video narrated by the Martian Manhunter, and it is about the heroes fighting the White Martian, Blanx.

With all of these guest stars we have to split up into groups. They really top loaded one group by putting all of the future Leaguers in it. Then you get another group with the Blackhawks, Plastic Man, and...Jimmy Olsen. Lois Lane is also part of group with a little more firepower: Robotman, Congo Bill and Gorilla, The Vigilante, and Challengers of the Unknown.

Like I said a decent comic. What struck me the most about the art was that the Martian Manhunter's eyes were always in shadow because of his giant protruding brow.

The book finished with a neat little bit I really liked. A 2 pager that summarizes issue 44.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• This is a book I've heard referred to for ages, and yet I realize now I don't know if I've ever even seen the cover of! Thanks for the round-up, Trav!

And yeah, I used to love those "100 Issues Ago" features... it was a neat idea for a page-filler, back when comics ran more than 100 issues!

• By the way, you might want to consider adding "A Comic a Day" tag to the others, if you're planning to do your ACAD entries as separate posts from now on. Might as well have an easy way to see 'em all at once!

• Good idea, Rob. Thanks!

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

By the way, you might want to consider adding "A Comic a Day" tag to the others, if you're planning to do your ACAD entries as separate posts from now on. Might as well have an easy way to see 'em all at once!

This reply was deleted.