A Cover a Day

Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Discussion and voting on future monthly themes takes place on the "A Cover A Day: Nominations, Themes and Statistics" thread.  Click here to view the thread, or here to go to its last reply.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Transitioning into September with some of my favorite covers/comics/series

Continuity may not have been a strong suit of Earth-B /the Haneyverse but for years it delivered fun stories with great artwork:  Neil Adams, Nick Cardy, and Jim Aparo

9507475660?profile=RESIZE_710xI think it was with this issue of Hot Wheels that I began to really appreciate Alex Toth

9507482664?profile=RESIZE_710xand one of my favorite series of all time is Metal Men

9507490689?profile=RESIZE_710x

• It's the final day of August, so don't forget, as Dave has already reminded us, that the theme for September is favo[u]rite covers and comics.

No transition covers from me this time, just a final selection from those Roads/Highways covers that I haven't previously used.

Earlier in the month, I posted a number of covers featuring Route 666.  Though that number is often called "the number of the beast", that's a common misconception.  That phrase actually refers to this number:

9514588899?profile=RESIZE_710x

Another highway that would appear to have demonic connections:

9514595485?profile=RESIZE_710x

A group of apparently not remotely demonic Road Warriors:

9514596489?profile=RESIZE_710x

• Looking forward to Thanksgiving .....

9514705875?profile=RESIZE_710x

.....and cooler weather.

9514706297?profile=RESIZE_710x

• After those posts yesterday, I'll say goodbye to August with some more Bob Hope covers. I'm guessing that guided tours are now legal.

9514833252?profile=RESIZE_710x

• 9514833468?profile=RESIZE_710x

• 9514833896?profile=RESIZE_710x

• Okay. First a leftover.

Hawaii is on my "bucket list" and I would love to visit the islands long before I eventually kick said bucket.

9514944865?profile=RESIZE_710x

As for transitions...

My first comic book was Action 434 (more on that tomorrow), so I didn't come across the Superman issue below until weeks later at a garage sale. Man, the issues you could find back then (for usually far less than cover price!) before someone got wise that all these old books might actually be worth something more than whatever you could get for them at your garage sale.

ANYWAY...

It would still be awhile before I ever saw the Adam West-Burt Ward Batman show in syndication (I'm too young to have seen it first run), let alone Yvonne Craig as Batgirl during the season 3 episodes, so this was my introduction to the character, hence both an August Road and a September Favorite cover.

9514948863?profile=RESIZE_710x

(Images courtesy of the Grand Comics Database.)

• 9514833468?profile=RESIZE_710x

That's a triple!

Steve W said:

9514956482?profile=RESIZE_710x

• September 2021 - Favourite Covers/Comics.

• A big favorite.  I loved the continuity between the two Blue Beetles.

9517335487?profile=RESIZE_710x

This reply was deleted.