A Cover a Day

Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Discussion and voting on future monthly themes takes place on the "A Cover A Day: Nominations, Themes and Statistics" thread.  Click here to view the thread, or here to go to its last reply.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• So, what's the plan for Wednesday? We going back to "A", again?

• See Steve W's post on page 468.

• Ah. Interesting.

• The Golden Age Ka-Zar who was just a blond Tarzan with no "Hidden Jungle" and his lion, Zar!

581563009?profile=original&width=450

• Guess Stan figured a Ka-Zar who ruled a magical kingdom in Antartica full of dinosaurs from over 65 million years ago and ancient mammals that went extinct about 10,000 years ago somehow co-existing made for something more exotic and a bit less derivative of the Tarzan mythos would go over better than remaining faithful to the Ka-Zar as depicted in the pulp era.  The concept of the HIdden Jungle strikes my adult self as ridiculously preposterous, but then so are guys who shoot force beams from their eyes, grow massive muscles after being bombarded by gamma rays or can climb sheer walls after being bitten by a radio-active spider.  As long as the story is reasonably entertaining, well-told and well-drawn, I can go along with such absurdities as long as they don't seriously pretend to be real history or science!

• 588691895?profile=original&width=600This is the closest I could find to a "Z" comic for New Year's Eve--Shazam the Wizard looks a little like the Old Year here.

See you in 2019!

• Zoot

594899593?profile=original

• Zanadu the Chaos Master, an ancient evil from Lemuria who brought the Earth-Two Superman out of retirement and showed us the volatile relationship with his cousin, Power Girl (which was quite different than their E-1 counterparts)! 

(Been saving this one for the entire month! Happy New Year, everyone!)

595464188?profile=original&width=450

• The Flash Season Zero and Marlin Perkins' Zoo Parade. My last for 2018.

598051814?profile=original&width=600

598056830?profile=original&width=600

• January 2019 - Person being carried.

This reply was deleted.