A Cover a Day

Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Discussion and voting on future monthly themes takes place on the "A Cover A Day: Nominations, Themes and Statistics" thread.  Click here to view the thread, or here to go to its last reply.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• You'd be questioning Wonder Woman's entire Golden Age career, then. ;)

Steve W said:

And a great Dick Giordano Wonder Woman cover to finish on (although I question the association of Women's Lib and a woman tied up on the cover!)

• Philip Portelli said:

I got the Weirdworld trade paperback in 2015 even though it was hardly one of my "What Should Collected Next" choices... I'll have to really read this one later.

I've only read the first two stories. I'd like to hear what you think of them.

• I definitely don't get a Lord of the Rings vibe from it even though that's how it marketed. In an included essay, Doug Moench claimed to never had read LOTR and I believe him. The two protagonists, Tyndall and Velanna, are small-bodied blond elves living among the mostly dwarf population and are basically shunned by them all, except for the cantankerous Mud-Butt. 

It more reminds me of The Smurfs in tone and scope with their innocence and naivety despite Velanna wearing a bikini all the time and the two shown sleeping together. 

It's beautifully drawn but there are as many questions as there are quests. While certainly not that bad, it was not memorable.

Luke Blanchard said:

Philip Portelli said:

I got the Weirdworld trade paperback in 2015 even though it was hardly one of my "What Should Collected Next" choices... I'll have to really read this one later.

I've only read the first two stories. I'd like to hear what you think of them.

• I should have said it earlier, but this is a truly wonderful Joe Kubert cover.

Philip Portelli said:

"We're Being Watched!"

1936990336?profile=original

• October 2018 - Letter X.

• “X” The Man with the X-Ray Eyes.  Adding more fuel to the Doom Patrol/X-Men coincidence this movie came out in September 1963 and was about Dr. Xavier (Ray Milland).

1936990284?profile=original

• “Planet X” has a diverse population: the Creature, the Thing, the Monster, the Master…

82594477216.3.jpg85198258976.15.jpg85338947184.13.jpg30663729872.7.jpg

• Philip Portelli said:

[Weirdworld's] beautifully drawn but there are as many questions as there are quests. While certainly not that bad, it was not memorable.

I reread the Marvel Premiere story yesterday. It seemed to me the pacing killed it. Everything happens too fast, so nothing is explored enough. The hero and heroine are instantly lovers, so their relationship isn't explored. There are no bits where the story pauses and we're taken inside the hero's mind. There's no room for the death of the villain so it happens off-panel.

• I wasn't even sure why Tyndall is the hero! Beyond the "Dwarves don't like Elves" thing, there is nothing remotely special about him. He keeps getting picked to go on these quests with no apparent skills or abilities that make you believe that he could survive them! He has no motivation, nothing to drive him or the story forward. 

Luke Blanchard said:

Philip Portelli said:

[Weirdworld's] beautifully drawn but there are as many questions as there are quests. While certainly not that bad, it was not memorable.

I reread the Marvel Premiere story yesterday. It seemed to me the pacing killed it. Everything happens too fast, so nothing is explored enough. The hero and heroine are instantly lovers, so their relationship isn't explored. There are no bits where the story pauses and we're taken inside the hero's mind. There's no room for the death of the villain so it happens off-panel.

• More X-Ray Visions!

1936990708?profile=RESIZE_480x480

1936990867?profile=RESIZE_480x480

This reply was deleted.