Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 91412

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Philip Portelli said:

This is from 1955. Is there an earlier "Superman Marries Lois" cover?

Not "Superman Marries Lois" (and Lois is not happy!), but this is from 1950.

Richard Willis said on February 21, 2020:

I've found four more Valentine's Day covers from Famous Funnies. between 1938 and 1948  This is not as many as were on Sugar and Spike (a Valentine's Day cover every February for seven years in the Sixties!), but it's still quite a good record!

1938:

1940:

1941:

1948:

Some people might just dread Valentine's Day!

Nothing says "I Love You" like a l'il Dark Lord of the Sith:

Did someone say "Valentine's Day Massacre"?

Tippy Teen and her friends certainly inspire a lot of hearts

Lois was always marrying different people. We could probably run a month based on her wedding covers alone.

We're getting near to the end of the month.  No-one has objected to the suggested themes for the next couple of months, so it looks like we'll be going with:

• March - Statues
  • April - Elephants

Suggestions for later months have included:

• Cats & cat-themed adventurers
  • Characters wielding unfeasibly large guns
  • Bridges
  • The Moon
  • Working with villains
  • Mothers & Fathers
  • Falling down
  • Robots
  • New costumes (either permanent or one-shots)

There have been upvotes for "working with villains", "new costumes", "the moon" and "bridges", and a downvote for "new costumes".  Any further thoughts?

Having listed all those suggestions, I've checked to see if any of my pending "Valentine" covers would pull double duty.  The best I can manage is this, which has a barely-visible cat in the bottom left.

I'd love to do "Bridges" in the future, but seeing as I chose "Statues" it's hardly fair for me to get first shout. I'll leave it to others to pick.  

Lois continues to choose unsuitable husbands...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service