Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 102544

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

“Look on the bright side, Dane, at least it’s not a dog.”

JD DeLuzio said:

I'm afraid I've never heard of Bee-29 the Bombardier, and I don't know if he's flying with or beating up that airborne alligator, but he's certainly part of an established tradition:

Is that one of the Menoptera from a very early episode of Doctor Who?  Checking for programme details, I see that I'm thinking of "The Web Planet", first broadcast in early 1965, which also features the Zarbi, who are giant ants.  If I'm correct, I don't think I've seen them since that broadcast, though I did read the novelisation a few years later.  My memory really is stuffed with all sorts of rubbish!

I don't think that's The Thing - the shoes aren't nearly wide-fitting enough!

It looks as though the guy above has stripped off everything except for those shoes.  The lady below has been much more modest, though she evidently doesn't believe in stockings.

It is indeed! I've seen that one twice, once some years ago, and this summer, with my wife, who only knows 21st Century Doctor Who and a few old adventures I've shown her. She watched Star Trek, Space:1999, and various others growing up, but had no context for Doctor Who until this century. "The Web Planet" is inventive, but the budget was dismal, so it rather looks like a bunch of adults putting on a play in the elementary school gymnasium.

Peter Wrexham said:

Is that one of the Menoptera from a very early episode of Doctor Who?  Checking for programme details, I see that I'm thinking of "The Web Planet", first broadcast in early 1965, which also features the Zarbi, who are giant ants.  If I'm correct, I don't think I've seen them since that broadcast, though I did read the novelisation a few years later.  My memory really is stuffed with all sorts of rubbish!

On the surface, these two covers seem to both imply that Batman needs money. Reading the synopses for the two issues:

This one had Bruce owning a motor company. The treasurer ran off with Bruce's entire fortune of three million dollars*, which today would be forty-three million dollars. This wouldn't seem like enough to finance his Batman hobby, but he didn't have high-tech stuff in 1945. This doesn't explain how the Batmobile got front-end damage.

*The crook is caught and the money returned. Surprisingly, he isn't caught by Batman.

This one didn't involve losing his money. A one-shot bad guy had managed to irradiate the Bat-stuff. Going by the cover, I don't see how he could have gotten to the Bat-phone. And what's with the tiny Bat-signal?

Right. Because as soon as you go bankrupt, your car is damaged and you have patches on your clothes, and you must head out on the road with a bindle.  Just like Trump had to do all of those times he went bankrupt. Brings a tear to the eye, I tells ya.

“Follow me, men, nothing can stand between us and the all-you-can-eat buffet!”

I count at least 30 people (or parts of people) on that cover, as well as plenty of Stan Lee’s bombast, but somehow Jack Kirby made it work.  Truly amazing.

The Zarbi have turned up at Big Finish (and they come off much better in the realm of the listener's imagination than in that of 1960s-era television). I have always thought the Doctor/Donna "giant wasp" story was RTD's take on the Zarbi. And weren't the "Ood" from the Zarbi's neighboring planet (implied)?

I have never read those two Batman comics; perhaps Fantastic Four was not as innovative as I thought.

There were exceptions, to be sure, but it's amazing how often Gold Key's Star Trek artists and writers seemed to feel they faced the same budgetary constraints as the TV show, at least where aliens were concerned. The crew would go to an alien planet inhabited by, say, Animal People, and it would be a bunch of actors from central casting in "exotic" make-up and whatever the costume department had available.

Considering the number of broken and boarded-up windows visible, I'm not surprised that the owners of the Baxter Building have decided that they don't want the FF as tenants any longer.

Meanwhile, in the thirtieth century...

"How does Brainiac 5 expect his weapon to save us!?"

Well, perhaps his 12-level super-brain has devised a weapon that will work against the Chemoids.  Did you think of that, Imra?  And did it never occur to you that, you being a telepath, if you really want to know you could just read his mind?

Though considering Brainy's track record, it's by no means impossible that the weapon will make the Chemoid even more powerful and dangerous.

"Ahem, what are you implying?"

Peter Wrexham said:

Considering the number of broken and boarded-up windows visible, I'm not surprised that the owners of the Baxter Building have decided that they don't want the FF as tenants any longer.

Meanwhile, in the thirtieth century...

"How does Brainiac 5 expect his weapon to save us!?"

Well, perhaps his 12-level super-brain has devised a weapon that will work against the Chemoids.  Did you think of that, Imra?  And did it never occur to you that, you being a telepath, if you really want to know you could just read his mind?

Though considering Brainy's track record, it's by no means impossible that the weapon will make the Chemoid even more powerful and dangerous.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service