Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 113795

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"Superman 2020"? The mind boggles.

The DC Fandom Wiki page summarizes the Superman 2020 story as follows:

"Superman III saves the people of New Metropolis from a plague begun by the Purists, who are opposed to marriage between humans and aliens."

Wild that this 2020 is also threatened by a plague. From the cover copy it sounds like this was a series of stories. Has anybody here read them?

"Superman 2020" was one of the rotating backup features that Superman had at the time. It did star Superman III aka Kal-El's grandson as this was some forty years in the future!

It shared the space with "World of Krypton" and "Bruce (Superman) Wayne"!

More mirror madness

No, I'm the best at what I do.

"There are a lot of covers with Wonder Woman doppelgängers."

...and the most recent is from this very week

He wears a helmet that covers his entire head, and he never speaks to ensure that no-one knows his voice.  He really shouldn't be surprised to find himself facing his doppelgänger.

A tantalizing cover but sadly not in the story!

We don't yet have any themes chosen to follow February's "Movie" month, and I think it would be useful to have a bit of time to prepare.  Here are some previously-suggested ideas that haven't yet been used:

• Cats & cat-themed adventurers
  • Characters wielding unfeasibly large guns
  • Bridges
  • Mothers & Fathers
  • Robots
  • Time travel
  • "Logos Into the Act"
  • "He's Dead, Jim"

Personally, I quite like "Cats", or "Guns", or (if we extend the definition a bit) "Logos".

If we do go for "Logos", we could also include: covers where the logo is being affected by the action depicted; scenes where the hero bursts through the cover; logos redesigned for a specific issue; covers showing the cover itself recursively.  Basically, covers that are aware they are a cover.

Thoughts, alternative suggestions, votes anyone?

I have no problem with cat and logos months. Now if there were some way to do a cat logos month...

Having just recently joined the party, has there already been a dog month? Other animals spotlight month? Have the other three seasons (Spring, Summer, and Fall) already been "covered"?

And wouldn't the Punisher win the "Characters wielding unfeasibly large guns" cover month?

What about a "First and ONLY appearance" of a character month? Like a tryout special that never made the grade or someone who only appeared in one story, worthy of being on the cover, but never returned.

I wouldn't mind seeing one of the Schwartz ones I suggested a while ago, such as a group of heroes lined up against a group of villains (or another group f heroes). 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service