Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 120890

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Funny-animal cats who are super-heroes.

Super-powered mice fighting cats

Cats have always been the bane of little heroes!

A different cover each of Cosmo Cat and Super Cat

Beware of the man who hated cats...

It turns out Ajax's SuperCat (seen in variant uniform here) wasn't the only SuperCat....

This 1989 one-shot tied in with the University of Kentucky Wildcats, and came with a UofK visor and some sports cards.The titular student-turned-superhero battled a villain who was after a professor's research:

Back-up stories feature "The Cheer Cats" and the "Bluegrass Buddies."

Meanwhile, a more familiar cartoon cat takes on an alternate identity:

I resist comment on his insignia.

"Meanwhile, a more familiar cartoon cat takes on an alternate identity"

I see that Tom has taken the lead from Superman, by using a pair of glasses as part of his disguise.  However, he's wearing them in his costumed identity!

Perhaps unsurprisingly, Tom of Tom and Jerry is not the only comic book cat of that name.  Here we see another one, on a late entry for June 2019's "Boxing Rings" theme.

And here's yet another Super Cat (though this one spells his name Superkatt), one who doesn't seem to be a costumed hero.

Current media darling Agatha Harkness and her "cat", Ebony!

How about a Bat-Cat homage cpver?

It's 6th March - have we seen Streaky yet?

ACTION COMICS #266: I bought a reading copy of Action Comics #266 at a flea market in San Diego for a buck. At the same flea market, I bought some chamois cloth my mother that she had requested. When I flew home, I had two bottles of tequila in my carry-on luggage I had bought in Tijuana. [If you're from out of state (California, that is) you can carry two bottles back across the boarder.] At the last minute on the way home (for reasons we need not go into here), I switched my carry-on to checked baggage. When I got home and opened my suitcase, one of the bottles of tequila was missing! On closer inspection, it wasn't missing, so much as broken. but the chamois I bought at the flea market soaked up all the tequila and the stack of comics I bought at the flea market was dry. Yay! I was even able to squeeze some of the tequila into a glass! 

Steve W said:

It's 6th March - have we seen Streaky yet?

Yes, Streaky has already appeared on 3rd March, a couple of pages ago.

I notice that just eleven issues later, in Action Comics #277, they were still worrying about whether Superman and Krypto or Supergirl and Streaky were the mightier team.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service