Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 127289

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That time Heavy Metal switched format and became Naked Dinosaurs with Wings Monthly.

Dave Palmer said:

In the spirit of

JD DeLuzio said:

If it looks like a dinosaur and quacks like a dinosaur:

Since this is Heavy Metal, is it humping the spaceship?

JD DeLuzio said:

That time Heavy Metal switched format and became Naked Dinosaurs with Wings Monthly.

An Alley Oop cover showing the time machine and two others showing time travel adventures.

Okay, I confess, this isn't a comic cover.  It's an actual photograph I took some years ago at Wookey Hole (no, not Wookie Hole!), Somerset, England.  But it fits with the theme, doesn't it?  March's "Cats" theme, too!

That cat looks exactly like our cat's brother, which disappeared about five years ago.

(I wonder how it got all the way to England?)

...and here's an Alley Oop cover showing dinosaurs. I have always loved that tagline: "The adventures of a time-traveling cavemen."

The scientist's name, BTW, is "Wunmug," Hamlin's take on "Einstein."

Richard Willis said:

An Alley Oop cover showing the time machine and two others showing time travel adventures.

Flash and the Cosmic Treadmill.

Forget the time machine. Who wants to take the risk of projecting your whole self through time? Get the next best thing - a time telescope!

My visit to Wookey Hole was in 2007.  If it is your cat's brother, the photo has both the "Dinosaurs" and "Time Travel" parts of this month's theme covered!

Jeff of Earth-J said:

That cat looks exactly like our cat's brother, which disappeared about five years ago.

(I wonder how it got all the way to England?)

For many years, Adam Beach tried to make a live-action Turok movie a reality. Announcements would be made, he was to star, and then it would be mired in development hell. Although the original character is something of a stereotype, Beach recalls him fondly because he was the only FN hero he knew in comics. He could read it and see a lead who looked like him:

It's raining dinos, Hallelujah! It's raining dinos...

A Flash cover that features both "Dinosaurs" and "Time Travel".

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service