Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 143578

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"Well, that's definitely not Superman!"

JD DeLuzio said:

Jerry Lewis, like Bob Hope, had a DC comic that lasted for years (starting as Martin and Lewis, of course). He met a number of DC superheroes along the way:

I never saw the Jerry Lewis/Flash cover before.

Actual prominent people (in order) George Eastman, Jack Johnson, Thomas Edison, Harry Houdini, Teddy Roosevelt and Annie Oakley, all with science fiction weapons.

A lot of the covers being posted seem to feature only real people without fictional people, so I'm going to start using that kind, too. There are relatively few mixing the real people with fictional and we have a long way to go until the end of February.

Abe Lincoln makes another appearance...

In 2004, the Outsiders met John Walsh:

It raises that question of what popular media looks like in a superhero universe. Who plays Captain Hero in the true crime re-enactments? Are shows about fictional superheroes more or less popular than in our world? Does Law & Order have a Metahuman Unit spin-off?

Philip Portelli said:

"Well, that's definitely not Superman!"

Here's an unusual team-up. God meets Hitler. I'll leave you to decide which one's fictional.

Kid Eternity and George Washington a second time

Young Indiana Jones with Teddy Roosevelt

Animal Man meets Grant Morrison, and one of Morrison's cats.

The full wraparound cover shows both Kiss and Doctor Doom, the story's villain. I'm not sure if he's more fictional or not.

Most of the rest of the Marvel Universe appeared in a cameo sequence, while Mephisto had a slightly larger role.

The follow-up issue is bad, but the first comic is pretty good. It was preceded by two Kiss cameos in Howard the Duck (Steve Gerber wrote the first Kiss comic as well). The band doesn't appear on the covers of those, but I have both issues, signed by the late Gerber, baby!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Publisher News

The Justice League comes to an end in 'Justice League' #75

Posted by Captain Comics on January 20, 2022 at 5:30pm 2 Comments

Joshua Williamson & Rafa Sandoval Team up to kill the team on April 19…

Continue

Groups

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service