Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 123460

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Okay, here's my opening bid for April.

First the final cover of the Krypto the Superdog mini-series from my last post, then the Dog of Steel prominently featured on a cover with his master.

(Images courtesy of the Grand Comics Database)

And while we're still debating the individual months—I'm personally leaning toward time travel myself, and maybe Summer Fun before that season expires—before the end of this year there should be a Justice Society of America month to celebrate their 80th anniversary. Images could feature either the team or individual members, past and present.

Peter Wrexham said:

Covers featuring weddings were mined pretty extensively in February 2020, as part of the "Valentines and Cupids" theme (including Jimmy and the gorilla, here).  It might be a bit too repetitive to do them again.

Doctor Hmmm? said:

For June? Weddings and/or brides would be an obvious one. (Dibs on Jimmy Olsen and the gorilla!)

The little kid in me says dinosaurs!

So, April's here and we can finally travel outside Worcestershire! I can't wait! As for covers I'm planning to focus on Superboy's favourite four legged friend, but firstly we have to give a mention to Ace.

As for June, either time travel or dinosaurs sounds great to me. Shall we have a vote?

And I love the idea of the JSA 80th anniversary celebration, but I was under the impression that the anniversary was in November 2020.  Perhaps we should do our tribute in Nov 2021.

"DARK MOON RISE, HELL HOUND KILL!" (Great title.)

Steve W said:

And I love the idea of the JSA 80th anniversary celebration, but I was under the impression that the anniversary was in November 2020.  Perhaps we should do our tribute in Nov 2021.

All-Star Comics #3 (Winter 1940), according to Mike's Amazing World, went on sale 22 Nov 1940. This was the first JSA team issue.  All-Star #1 went on sale 24 May 1940. The members were all there but the JSA didn't exist until #3.

P.S.: I always thought it was sad that they implied that Krypto wasn't handsome.

With their World War 2 connection, I honestly thought THIS year was the Justice Society's 80th anniversary but it can be a bit confusing because in All Star Comics 3, the framing sequence was just the team meeting and reporting adventures: the individual stories of that issue since the title started off as an anthology. The first actual team adventure was in issue 4 in 1941.

And I've always felt sorry for Krypto too. Can hang out with Superboy/man all day long, but can't go near Clark Kent no matter how much he wants to kick back and relax.

But did they ever explain how come Krypto is well past the average dog's lifespan?

Krypto got rejuvenated in Jimmy Olsen #29 (Ju'58).

Our body cells die and are replaced constantly. When the new cells aren't as good as the previous ones things start to go south.

Do Kryptonians (and their dogs) under our sun always get perfect new cells? If so, are they immortal?

Some versions of the legend (three I can think of off the top of my head) have Superman living 1000 years.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

Some versions of the legend (three I can think of off the top of my head) have Superman living 1000 years.

Indeed, there's an Elseworlds tale where the 1000-year-old Man of Steel meets Kamandi, which brings us to the scientist who dogs the Last Boy on Earth through many of his adventures:

Kirby depicted Dr. Canus as a brave but somewhat aloof individual who gradually develops a genuine friendship with Kamandi. Other writers during the end of the original comic's run turned him into a simpering son-of-a-bitch whose presence on far-flung adventures seemed a little unlikely. His ears also go from upright to semi-pricked to sort-of drop-style over the run.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service