Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 123464

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"There's an Elseworlds tale where the 1000-year-old Man of Steel meets Kamandi,"

Make that "four."

Guess "who" was advertising Budweiser when this comic came out?

Maybe Superman can meet this time-travelling dog and his boy in the future!

Now how did anyone come up with the idea of a dog named "Trypto"?

I stashed this cover away some time ago. Sadly, the cover scene isn't in-story.

"'Cuz I know a good fire hydrant just around the corner. :

This cover always reminds me of the song "Gary Gilmore's Eyes" by The Adverts in 1977. Double murderer Gilmore had requested that his eyes be donated to science after his execution as "they'd probably be the only body part usable".

Did Lois get them?

Here's a Superboy cover from 1964 that strikes me as a tribute to another DC cover from 13 years earlier...

Oh, yeah! (Running in the opposite direction, though.)

That's exactly what I was thinking of!

I believe this is a new story and not a reprint of #116

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

Here's a Superboy cover from 1964 that strikes me as a tribute to another DC cover from 13 years earlier...

I won't be posting tomorrow, so here's two day's worth in two posts.

Pretty much everyone has published Scooby Doo. Gold Key got him started in comic-form in 1970. The first issue is a redo of the first episode and, for some reason, Velma's not on the cover, which is quite a dull affair. Here's a more interesting one:

Gold Key stopped the Scoobies in 1975, and Charlton picked them up for a year:

Before Marvel took over and made various attempts with the broad range of Hanna-Barbera characters, including Scooby and various other dogs:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service