Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 123484

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

A Martian

and Harvey Kurtzman

Another Nexus...

Thanks for the explanation, Jeff.  I recognise Harvey Kurtzman's name, but am not really familiar with his work, so didn't notice the similarities.  However, looking at the "Two-Fisted Tales" cover that Dave's posted, I can see what you mean!

Jeff of Earth-J said:

My original comment (now deleted) was about how hard that cover was channeling Harvey Kurtzman. Then I noticed the signature and thought, "Duh!" and removed it. I think it's supposed to be "Two men for Kurtzman." (That's the way Harvey Kurtzman signed his name.) 

And now a couple of "Heavy Metal" covers from "Heavy Weaponry".  Or something like that.

The main problem with always boasting that you're "faster than a speeding bullet" is that eventually you're going to have to prove it!

Ok, not an 'unfeasibly' large weapon, but this cover was the first one ever created on a Mac, rather than using conventional pencil and paper, so I thought it appropriate to include it.

A real-life Howitzer courtesy of Will Eisner

Philip Portelli said:

The main problem with always boasting that you're "faster than a speeding bullet" is that eventually you're going to have to prove it!

A great story.

A team-up of Jim Balent's characters. As near as I can tell, the artwork has been designed to poke discussions about the depiction of women in comics. In any case, the interior, from  #74, shows how ludicrous comic-book guns can get:

Luke Blanchard said:

Philip Portelli said:

The main problem with always boasting that you're "faster than a speeding bullet" is that eventually you're going to have to prove it!

A great story.

Yes, one of Cary Bates' cleverest tales.  Someone (Steve Lombard, if I remember correctly) has been kidnapped.  Superman goes on a live TV chat show, and deliberately says something that he knows will provoke the kidnapper into shooting Steve at that precise moment.  Supes then uses his super-hearing to listen for the sound of the shot.  After that, all he has to do is, as he notes on the cover "be faster than a speeding bullet to save him!"

You just need not to think too hard about little things like the speed of sound vs the speed of a bullet.  I guess Superman's thinking is that he can't lose, however things turn out.  If the idea works, he's a hero, while if it fails, Clark Kent's persecutor gets shot dead.  Result!

Here are a couple of ladies you would not normally expect to see with guns...

...and one where the gun is no surprise at all!

(Could also have used this cover when the theme was "Playing cards", and possibly also - thanks to the heart-shaped background - when it was "Cupids and Valentines")

Let’s get back to reality.

Did I say “let’s get back to reality.”  Oh, boy.  What I was able to find on the internet suggests that that gun weighs at least a ton, and only one guy is really holding it up — that would be Gus.

Actually it was late-night show host Johnny Carson Nevada who was kidnapped and Steve Lombard was the guest host who Superman left hanging!

I'm betting that when I first read this story, I had no idea who Johnny Carson was!

Peter Wrexham said:

Luke Blanchard said:

Philip Portelli said:

The main problem with always boasting that you're "faster than a speeding bullet" is that eventually you're going to have to prove it!

A great story.

Yes, one of Cary Bates' cleverest tales.  Someone (Steve Lombard, if I remember correctly) has been kidnapped.  Superman goes on a live TV chat show, and deliberately says something that he knows will provoke the kidnapper into shooting Steve at that precise moment.  Supes then uses his super-hearing to listen for the sound of the shot.  After that, all he has to do is, as he notes on the cover "be faster than a speeding bullet to save him!"

You just need not to think too hard about little things like the speed of sound vs the speed of a bullet.  I guess Superman's thinking is that he can't lose, however things turn out.  If the idea works, he's a hero, while if it fails, Clark Kent's persecutor gets shot dead.  Result!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service