Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 123893

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Joe Kubert was never a big superhero artist (with the exception of Hawkman and one or two others) but boy, could he turn his hand to anything else! Here's one of his earliest covers - Son of Sinbad #1 from Feb 1950, publisher ANC.

King Kong Movie Special Giant (1968) by Gold Key spotlighted the lasting legacy of the Giant Gorilla!

Then Superman #226 featured "When Superman Became King Kong!" which didn't lead to a lawsuit.

Much like the film Konga which was very bad but Charlton had a minor success with this pseudo-Kong!

I wonder what prompted the 1968 movie special about the 1933 King Kong movie?

The fourth of four.

King Kong was a big deal on TV. Even in the 70s, I remember it being on every day for a week. It was treated as a special event.

Plus you had King Kong Vs Godzilla, King Kong Escapes and the King Kong Saturday morning cartoon show, so King was well-represented in the 60s!

Richard Willis said:

Also, damn dirty apes were in vogue in 1968!

Philip Portelli said:

King Kong was a big deal on TV. Even in the 70s, I remember it being on every day for a week. It was treated as a special event.

Plus you had King Kong Vs Godzilla, King Kong Escapes and the King Kong Saturday morning cartoon show, so King was well-represented in the 60s!

Richard Willis said:

British comics had Mytek the Mighty, who appeared as King Kong in France.

The team that brought us Conan the Barbarian went on to bring us Kull the Conqueror! Cover art by John and Marie Severin.

I have more Kull comics than I do Conan!

Plus you have to love John Severin!

The only two covers showing Kid Flash's original costume before they changed it. You can see why they changed it.

Two iconic Kang the Conqueror covers from my youth! And one is by Kirby and features Cap's Kooky Quartet!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service