Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 120078

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Jeff of Earth-J said:

How about a character who ridesrainbow?

He comes on colours ev'rywhere

He has red hair

He rides a rainbow

Comes on colours in the air

Oh, everywhere

He comes on colours.

Have you seen him dressed in white

In his robe of white samite?

And his feet are sandal-shod

And his wristbands merely odd

Have you seen the daydream-granter?

chorus

Have you seen his skin of gold?

Like an Oscar to behold

If the Hulk is green or grey

They'll meet again some other day

Either him or else the Shaper.

chorus

A "Grown-up Robin."

Why are there so many covers with rainbows?

And what will we find inside?

Is it a cheap trick, a Silver Age cheap trick?

A twist at the end of the ride?

I've seen them too many times to ignore it

Gorillas and dinosaurs, too.

Some day will find it

The Rainbow Connection,

The comic fen, nerds, and their crew...

Bifrost the Rainbow Bridge

"Riddle of the Robot Justice League!"

Even though all the members are in this story, Superman, Batman and Aquaman (ironically given his role in this adventure) are left off the cover. This was "business as usual" for the World's Finest duo but it would get worse next issue when the Atom joins!

Unlike Aquaman and Tommy Tomorrow, Congorilla never did get his shot at a tryout in Showcase.  Now it can be revealed, the lost Congorilla issues of Showcase.  In the course of one of his fantastic adventures, Congo Bill comes into possession of a necklace with a number of different colored stones.  As it turns out each stone endows Congorilla with a different superpower (but he can only use one at a time, shades of Ultra Boy, and each needs a day to recharge after it has been used).  A famous, but also famously absent-minded, professor and his beautiful daughter have become lost in the jungle.  They have wandered into the mystery shrouded Great Valley of Dinosaurs.  The evil sorcerer who rules over part of the Great Valley transforms Janu the Jungle Boy into a talking frog.  The peaceful People of the Waterfalls agree to watch over Congo Bill’s body, and Rainbow Congorilla and Janu the Frogboy plunge further into the Great Valley of Dinosaurs to rescue the professor and his daughter, and face whatever other dangers the sorcerer can throw at them.

At the very least, it may have gone over a bit better than B’wana Beast, and we’d have another reason to wax nostalgic about how much we miss the wackiness of the Silver Age.

JD DeLuzio said:

Why are there so many covers with rainbows?

And what will we find inside?

Is it a cheap trick, a Silver Age cheap trick?

A twist at the end of the ride?

I've seen them too many times to ignore it

Gorillas and dinosaurs, too.

Some day will find it

The Rainbow Connection,

The comic fen, nerds, and their crew...

Two versions of the Royal Flush Gang!

My last Q cover:  Desperadoes:  Quiet of the Grave with wonderful John Severin art.

It also looks like it is time to clear out my Rainbow covers.

Just in time for Easter: "Rabbits of the Last Ark!" featuring Captain Carrot aka Roger Rodney Rabbit and Rubberduck!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service