Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 76387

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There’s no stopping Little Audrey.  If there’s a boardwalk there may be a beach.

Some odds and ends as the end of the month nears

If Archie’s friends can help him out with covers, let’s see what the rest of the Harvey-verse has been up to.

Since the end of the month is fast approaching, here's a reminder of the future themes we've agreed:

• September - Apes
  • October - Haunted houses/tombs
  • November - Motor bikes

I've got a few beach covers from some British comics to use.

Robinson Crusoe earlier in the month had a dog.  Jill Crusoe has a (big) cat.

This is not the publication that most Brits would think of when The Sun is mentioned.  Note that Moko is a monkey, so this could also be an early entry for next month.

I thought I didn't have any romance covers, but I was wrong.  Following on from the Sun, here's Star Love Stories.

A LOT of the comic-cover gags riff on the notion that beaches are entirely inhabited by voyeurs (male), exhibitionists, and jealous people (female):

One of the several Iron Man vs Sub-Mariner books of the Bronze Age!

Some great British covers Peter, but reference your comment

Note that Moko is a monkey, so this could also be an early entry for next month.

Bear in mind that there is a big difference between Apes and monkeys. Chimps, gorillas, orangutans and gibbons are apes.  Monkeys generally have tails.

I scoured through my collection of British covers and found this fabulous Viz cover. Viz was my favourite magazine back in the 80s, once I'd abandoned comics.

Sorry Peter, looking back, my comment sounds unduly pedantic. I really didn't mean it to sound like that. Monkeys, apes - whatever.

Steve W said:

Some great British covers Peter, but reference your comment

Note that Moko is a monkey, so this could also be an early entry for next month.

Bear in mind that there is a big difference between Apes and monkeys. Chimps, gorillas, orangutans and gibbons are apes.  Monkeys generally have tails.

Well, sure, I know not to use the "M" word in the presence of the Librarian ("ook"), if for no other reason that I don't want an orangutan getting angry with me.  I didn't realise that we were going to be applying the same precision here.  If we're not allowed monkeys, I'm going to have to re-evaluate all the covers I've got lined up.  Goodbye, Beppo!  Sigh.

Actually, I suspect that we'll accept monkeys, lemurs, tarsiers, macaques, lorises, bushbabies, and many other species as being close enough matches to be acceptable.  We'll see!

Hey - here's a perfect place to use this emoji from the "Smilies" folder!   photo gorilla.gif

Edited to add:

Steve, I wrote the above before you'd added your comment about sounding unduly pedantic.  Don't worry, there's no need to apologise.  No offence meant, none taken!  I'm often accused of being pedantic, and I wear it as a badge of pride!

What about Monkees?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service