Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 119920

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Luke,

Thanks for the extra info.  I picked it because the Neal Adams cover looked great.

Kamandi, the Last Boy on Earth #1

Dave Palmer said:

Luke,

Thanks for the extra info.  I picked it because the Neal Adams cover looked great.

Adams did a lot of covers for Weisinger in the late 60s, but I think only two stories, in World's Finest Comics #175 and #176. They're both pretty standard Weisinger tales. #176 is an early Superman-and-Batman-fight story

There was another Jimmy-as-Robin story in Jimmy Olsen #130, but it didn't make the cover either.

Steve W said:

And I may be stretching the use of the letter "E" here, but I'm struggling to think of another way to include this wonderful Batman cover. "The Beginning of the END!" Cover artwork by Ross Andru.

Andru updated his style really well after the Silver Age. I find his late Silver Age work dull, but he became an artist with a contemporary, realistic style.

Richard Willis said:

Kamandi, the Last Boy on Earth #1

That's one of Kirby's best covers, I think: a familiar idea, but executed so well.

Let's go with Elastic Lad one more time.  From the later Silver Age (September 1967).  (Also, in the story Jimmy/Element Lad plays a big part, if I remember correctly.)  I remember buying this one off the newsstand.  It's redundant to say the title had become silly, but the silliness became more self-referential to the "Superman Family" -- a planet of Olsens, or #117's (January 1969) "Planet of the Capes."

When Jack Kirby arrived (#133, October 1970) it was time for a new direction.  He brought a zaniness and an energy, but it was no longer silly in the way we typically think of Jimmy.

From Blue Bolt Comics, a series about a boy hero called Edison Bell. He's the redhead.

Superboy starring the Legion of Super-Heroes #211: Element Lad and "The Ultimate Revenge!"

Probably his best costume and heart-wrenching story, not that the Legion were very sympathetic!

We've had the silly (Jimmy as Elastic Lad).  Now, let's go with the really ridiculous (and obscure):  Elasticman in Captain Marvel #2 (June 1966).  What's amazing is that Elasticman actually had two cover appearances.

Oh, what the heck, here's the second cover appearance of Elasticman (August 1966).

Not to mention he battled a "Dr. Fate" and "Dr. Doom"!

And rumor has it that Elasticman was originally going to be called Plastic Man!

Surprised that this Captain Marvel didn't fight a "Black Terror" or "Cat-Man"!

Elasticman was Plastic Man at first. Atom-Jaw was modelled after Iron Jaw, the arch-enemy of Gleason's Crimebuster. There was even a villain called the Ray who was bat-themed.

There had been several Dr Dooms before Victor von. Dell used the name for a spy hero; Fox for an evil scientist, the title character of a villain feature; Novelty for a criminologist hero; a one-off villain called Dr. Doom used Batman's trophies against him in Detective Comics #158. Archie introduced Mad Doctor Doom in Little Archie a few months after Victor debuted.

The first cover appearance of Eternity by Steve Ditko.

"Yarva Demonicus Etrigan!"

Now I consider this an alphabetical "cheat" but the chant to free The Demon does have his name "Etrigan" in it!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service