Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 102450

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I agree 100% - great idea JD.

Not sure why this guy who's risen from the dead is a vampire, but according to the blurb he is.

And she doesn't sound very shocked, does she?

"Wait - Harry's come back from the dead!"

"He does that from time to time."

Mystery, Inc. has met a number of werewolves and vampires, but this one has to have the most original sartorial sense. Fred and Shaggy seem especially clueless here, intent as they are at looking for... Daphne and Velma, maybe?

Steve W said:

Not sure why this guy who's risen from the dead is a vampire, but according to the blurb he is.

Perhaps the cover illustration isn't for "Terror of the Vampire's Teeth", but for an entirely different (non-vampire) story in this issue?

The Joker is scary enough as he is.  The Joker as a vampire is positively terrifying!

This may seem like me breaking my own rule but there are THREE werewolves in WEREWOLF BY NIGHT #21 (S'74) which the first issue of it that I had (and it was coverless)!

The third wolf-man was Lt. Hackett, a corrupt cop who had a ring that turned him into a blonde werewolf but in control! When I was a kid, I found a costume-jewelry wolf's-head ring with "ruby" eyes that I would imagine doing to same to me when I was angry!

The Cajun legend, Loup Garou, is a werewolf.

Dave Palmer said:

That Tales from the Crypt lycanthrope is scarier than this Vault of Horror shape-shifter, who seems to presage Michael Jackson's make-up in "Thriller." This guys is definitely not like other boys. Cue Vincent Price.

"Avoid covers where the vampire or werewolf is the protagonist."

I've never seen the "Dark Shadows" TV show, and I'm unsure whether it has even been broadcast in the UK.  However, I understand from Jeff's discussion of the show that Barnabas is a vampire, and must be the protagonist of this comic.  Therefore, you may say that this cover shouldn't appear here.

I can only suggest that it also features a werewolf who isn't the protagonist, so it's all good!

Peter Wrexham said:

"Avoid covers where the vampire or werewolf is the protagonist."

I've never seen the "Dark Shadows" TV show, and I'm unsure whether it has even been broadcast in the UK.  However, I understand from Jeff's discussion of the show that Barnabas is a vampire, and must be the protagonist of this comic.  Therefore, you may say that this cover shouldn't appear here.

I can only suggest that it also features a werewolf who isn't the protagonist, so it's all good!

I would agree with your argument (grumble was going to post it Monday grumble) entirely. Apart from the werewolf, it's not entirely correct to say that Barnabas Collins is the protagonist. Infamously, he did not appear until episode #211 (unless you count the clutching hand from the day before, which we subsequently learn is his). He was intended as a one-story-arc character, but became the show's central draw. However, he was one character in an ensemble cast (which includes Quentin), and he was occasionally sidelined. I've read a handful of issues of the Gold Key comic. While Barnabas is generally the central figure in those, some issues focus on other show characters to at least an equal degree.

"I can only suggest that it also features a werewolf who isn't the protagonist, so it's all good!"

I would argue that both Barnabas and Quentin became the protagonists.

When first introduced (as JD correctly assets), Barnabas was definitely the villain.

When Quentin was first introduced, he was Barnabas' antagonist. 

But both characters eventually became so popular that they were both protagonists

You know all of those Target paperbacks titled "Doctor Who and the..."?

Well, the Dark Shadows paperbacks were all (eventually) titled "Barnabas, Quentin and the..."

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service