Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 94860

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

A non-English checkers issue:

And I'll bet one of these is Checkers:

Second in a series...

Peter Wrexham said:

Peter Wrexham said:

You know who is often depicted with playing cards?  Alice (in Wonderland).

Also in Sunderland.

Other places too.

Alice in the Country of Clover.

Alice in the Country of Hearts.

Alice in the Country of Joker.

We're about three quarters of the way through January.  Is everyone okay with the suggested themes of "Cupids and Valentines" for February, and "Statues" for March?  And have we got any suggestions for April and beyond?

And have we got any suggestions for April and beyond?

Cats and cat-themed adventurers? Numerical countdown? Elephants? (surprising number of those).

I have no idea. Here's a couple of covers with "checker clothing" themes:

Here are two German Micky Maus covers that feature another table-top game, which in the U.S. is called pool.

In the UK, it's also called Pool. I used to be Market Rasen champion of the Pool Table for two consecutive years in 1986/7.

I think "elephants" sounds like a great theme for April.  My vote goes for that one.

Third in a series...

I once again find myself in "sign in" limbo.  I do most of my posting from an iPad and it is stuck between thinking I'm signed in, but I'm really not, and not being able to sign out so I can try again.  So I'll probably pretty much disappear until I can get it figured out.  I can still see the site so I'll be checking new covers as they are posted.  Any thing that you guys decide is fine with me for the next few months.  I like the challenge.  Cards and table games has proven to be much more fruitful than I originally suspected.

Here is a cover for today.  I hope it hasn't been posted already, but I'm flying blind without access to my files.  Another Ace of Spades reference.

Wikipedia tells us:  “The Ace of Spades (also known as the Spadille and Death Card) is traditionally the highest and most valued card in the deck of playing cards in English-speaking countries.  The value of the card varies from game to game.”  Legend surrounds the “deadman’s hand” (e/g/. Wild Bill Hickok) of Aces and Eights but it appears to always include the two black Aces.  That symbolism could explain why it is featured so often.

You would think that there is Deadman cover out there with the deadman's hand.  Seems like a natural.

Playing cards for the solar system is pretty high stakes

A really striking Catwoman cover

Another tarot cover with Lady Daemon! Plus more cards with the Black Widow!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service