Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 138107

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think I saw this cover in a house ad first, and was prompted to buy it as my first Doom Patrol comic. Who could resist a tommy-gun-wielding gorilla taking orders from a disembodied brain?* The first issue is #86, being renamed from My Greatest Adventure and continuing its numbering. The DP debuted in MGA #80 and I soon had 80-85.

*Happily, these guys appear in the season 3 trailer for the Doom Patrol show on HBOmax.

My first Spider-Man. I had to wait seven years (seemed like forever!) until #74 was reprinted in Marvel Tales #55 and I found out how the story ended.

My clue that it was coming up was seeing Marvel Tales #54 on the spinner rack. I don't know whose idea it was to add bricks and an alleyway to the background, but it made for a far less effective cover. 

I had this to say back in 2014, in Detective 445's discussion "The Definitive..........Green Lantern?"

Peter Wrexham said on February 17, 2014 at 9:51pm:

I'd commend the Silver Age tale "The Strange World Named Green Lantern" from GL #24 (October 1963), in which Hal, on a space mission, encounters and makes friends with a sentient planet! It's wonderfully bizarre piece of SF told in about 8 pages. Strangely enough, although it's illustrated on the cover, it takes second place in the issue. The lead story is "The Shark that Hunted Human Prey", which is the first appearance of Hal's foe the Shark.

This tale could also be seen a prefiguring (or being the origin of) Mogo, who is a planet-sized member of the GL Corps introduced in Alan Moore's story "Mogo Doesn't Socialize" from GL #188 (May 1985).

It's also a great cover, by Gil Kane and (again) that man Murphy Anderson!

Richard Willis said:

JD DeLuzio said:

This one looks like some strange and nightmarish sex ed film, but the actual story being illustrated* is exactly the sort of thing an imaginative little kid would think about when he was walking home at night:

*˙sɹǝʇsuoɯ ƃuᴉʇɐǝ-ɥsǝlɟ ʎllɐǝɹ ǝɹɐ ʇɐɥʇ sʇɥƃᴉlʇǝǝɹʇS

Standing on my head to read this took a lot out of me!

¡ǝsᴉɔɹǝxǝ ǝɯos ʇoƃ noʎ pɐlפ

Moving on from Gene to issue 6 from me. This one was also edited by Stan Lee; the cover was drawn by John Buscema, and inked by his brother Sal. The cover is both brilliant and preposterous.  The two poses utterly brilliant but the juxtaposition of one to the other utterly preposterous. How could Thor hope to strike the Surfer with his hammer if he's only just drawn it back, ready to swing it? The Surfer is just one millisecond away from him!  An utterly compelling cover - I just want to stare at it...

"I just want to stare at it..."

You should buy the statue(s) 

Richard Willis said:

This is the issue that revealed/retconned Brainiac from a flesh-and-blood alien to an extremely advanced humanoid robot.

An homage...

I’ve been on the road all day so I didn’t post earlier, so I’ll go ahead and follow up Richard’s Doom Patrol cover.  They were one of my favorites during the Silver Age.

l don’t know if I actually had this issue, but I did see it in an ad.  Even without Larry’s helpful exposition I knew Cliff was in real danger, since he was a brain in a robot body.  I didn’t worry too much about the Metal Men, which by the time of this issue I had a subscription to, because I knew if anything happened to them, then Doc Magnus would just whisk them into the Metal Recovery Room and they’d be as good as new.

Also I’m a sucker for schematic diagrams.  I’m sure at that time it would have been very useful for building my own robots.

I got this one at a yard sale decades ago and read it until it fell apart. This was probably my first exposure to the Doom Patrol and the closest they got to teaming with the Justice League!

But man, does the Flash look weird!

One of the earliest Marvels I read. Clearly, this was a different world from Batman and Superman's.

The cover features some impressive hero-fight posing:

Man and boy by George Perez.

Wham-O Giant Comics from 1967.  This thing is huge (21 inches by 14 inches).  My copy is a bit ragged since it is hard to store.

It included Radian by Wally Wood.  It is only three pages, but as you can see a lot of story was packed into each page.

As well as Goody Bumpkin

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service