Adam Strange

I'm thinking of reading a few Adam Strange comics from over the years, but I'd like to know what was the best representative story in which he appeared in the 70s?

I know he didn't star in his own stories in the 70s, but perhaps a JLA/JSA crossover, or a Brave and The Bold?

Most importantly, it'd have to be a story that I could reasonably get my hands on, so one that is available in reprint would be good.

Has Adam Strange's first appearance in Mystery in Space #53 - 'Menace of the Robot Raiders!'  been reprinted anywhere?  What about Mystery in Space #82 "World War on Earth and Rann!" as well?

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Jeff of Earth-J said:

STRANGE ADVENTURES #8:

The sequence ends with a double-page spread of the destruction of Phoenix, Arizona, with at least 37,988 dead.

Just before this double-page spread, Alanna is shown talking to Adam while he’s sitting naked in a pool. He says: “Thank you. It’s very nice of you. I don’t want to worry you. You shouldn’t worry. I’m fine.” He doesn’t sound fine. Is this the brainwashing?

• STRANGE ADVENTURES #9:

5757305.jpg5757307.jpgThis series skips around so much it's not surprising I found it difficult to follow on a month-to-month basis. This issue opens with Adam and Sardath visiting Aleea's gravestie. Her stone is alone on a hill overlooking a like. It is sheltered by what looks like a tree in the shape of a frog. I never really noticed it before, but the Pykkts wear hoods and masks which greatly resemble frogs. I wonder if that's significant? In the present, the JLA has released their report on Adam, but it appears to be from Batman, who previously wanted nothing to do with it, not Mr. Teriffic. Alanna reads it to Adam over the radio as he kills Pykkts. The report is not good, nor is it an outright condemnation. It concludes that Adam committed "grave offences" against the Pykkts, and also that he offended the JLA's "honor" with his actions. They also banned Adam from League membership. Because the JLA have no legal component, they turned their findings over to the government to see if the feds want to take action against him (which sounds familiar). With Phoenix destroyed, public reception of this report is mixed. "Mox News" is certainly on Adam's side.

In the present, Adam confronts Batman during a battle against the Pykkts. Batman is wounded (through-and-through with an energy weapon to the shoulder) and Adam carries him to safety. In the past, he leads the Hellotaat on a raid against the Pykkt stranghold. In the present, Alanna is interviewed by Seth Meyers and attempts to put a positive spin on the JLA's report. Meanwhile, Michael Holt is watching the coverage and is prompted to write a letter to Alanna which begins, "There are alot of lies going around. I think you're ready for some truth." Adam meets with Superman and calls him out for Superman's lack of help against the Pykkts when Adam asked for it. In the past, Alanna remembers an incident from when Aleea was learnig to walk, and Adam respionds, "Don't worry, darling. We'll see her again. There is another world."

This month's quotation is from Ramona Fradon. These quotes seems to be about working in the comic book field during the Silver Age in general, not about Adam Strange in particular.

Tracy is off work today and was very talky while I was trying to read this issue. I was quite distracted while reading and probably missed something significant, but I'll leave it up to Richard and Luis to backstop me.

• Afraid I don't really have anything to add. I never read this series.

• Oh, I didn't know whether you were reading the series along with me or not; I know Richard is. One thing I realize I forgot t mention that the revelation that Adam had a strong religious upbringing as a child, which partially influenced him to pursue archeology in the first place, the historical Bible and so on. Some Old Testamant lore plays into his dealing with the Pykkts on Rann later on in this issue.

• I don’t think you missed anything.

• STRANGE ADVENTURES #10:

5822935.jpg5822936.jpgThis issue has three narrative threads, or maybe only two after all as the present day and flashback sequences start to merge. The third narrative element is Michael Holt's letter to Alanna, which she opened and started to read last issue. this is almost like a "fair use" mystery in that we readers have seen all of the evidence Mr. Teriffic has and could have drawn the same conclusion. In the present day sequence, Alanna travels to the White House to deliver a press briefing; in the flashback, Adam fights on against the Pykkt invaders. Both of these narratives are set against the backdrop of Michael's letter. I'm not going to step you through his entire line of reasoning, but he basically draws a single conclusion based in three inconsistencies: 1) The Pykkts purposefully lost the war on Rann; 2) The Pykkyts shouldn't be winning the war on Earth; and 3) Adam Strange faked Aleea's death.

I'm glad I remembered to include Adam's study of the Bible as history in my summary of #9, because it's pivotal to Mr. Teriffic's solution to the mystery. The final clue comes from Adam's dedication to his supposedly dead daughter Aleea in the introduction to his book, Strange Adventures. It includes a Bible verse which, on the surface, appears to be about grief when taken out of context (as so many Bible verses are). Put in context of the entire passage however, it is clearly about guilt. Mr. Teriffic concludes that Adam Strange betrayed Earth to the Pykkts in exchange for Rann's safety. To make the plot and subsequent cover-up more convincing, Adam is allowed to commit war crimes against the Pykkts so that Earth will trust him. What Adam hadn't counted on, however, was the Pykkts kidnapping Aleea to assure his cooperation. He faked her death, then asked Batman to investigate because he subconsciously wanted the truth to come out. Alanna did not know any of this. And all along I thought Alanna was behind whatever conspiracy/cover-up was going on. The letter is the turning point. the issue ends with Adam returning home for the first time after she has learned the truth. It's going to be hard for Adam Strange to recover from this as a character, if he ever does. (More on that later, after I read the conclusion.)

This issue's quote is from Jack Kamen.

This issue also includes a double-page spread of the map of Rann, which I wish I knew I had when I was reading those Silver Age stories.

• Jeff of Earth-J said:

STRANGE ADVENTURES #10:

To make the plot and subsequent cover-up more convincing, Adam is allowed to commit "war crimes" against the Pykkts so that Earth will trust him. What Adam hadn't counted on, however, was the Pykkts kidnapping Aleea to assure his cooperation. He faked her death, then asked Batman to investigate because he subconsciously wanted the truth to come out.

My take at this point is that the brainwashing was for the purpose of making Adam more willing to commit war crimes (note: no quotation marks*) and to falsely remember that Aleea was killed. He may have intentionally let them take her hostage if they assured her safety. After all, Aleea, Alanna and everyone on Rann would likely die if the Pykkts don’t “throw the game.” Buried in his mind is the truth, which he wants to come out.   

*Killing unarmed prisoners is always a war crime.

Alanna did not know any of this. And all along I thought Alanna was behind whatever conspiracy/cover-up was going on. The letter is the turning point.

Showing her showering and putting on makeup (and sitting on the toilet!) seemed odd to me, until we see her purposely removing her makeup and having a look that could kill.

• (note: no quotation marks*) *Killing unarmed prisoners is always a war crime.

I used those quotation marks because what Adam did was sanctioned by the Pykkts, but you're right. Seeing it again it doesn't read as I intended, so I removed them.

(and sitting on the toilet!)

That was a weird choice. I remember criticizing a similar scene in NYX #1 (2003), now here it is again.

...having a look that could kill.

Yeah, kill Adam.

You're caught up, it's still early... I'm going to read another issue.

• STRANGE ADVENTURES #11:

5908028.jpg5908029.jpg

Alanna confronts Adam about Aleea interspersed with scenes of the final defeat of the Pykkts on Rann. In the present, Adam at first plays dumb about Aleea being alive, then admits she's being held on a ship orbiting Mars. In the past, Adam and Alanna ally themselves with Dtwee and Dtwey, the twin rules of the Moorm, who resemble giant owls. Once Alanna learns the truth about Aleea, she resolves to go to the Justice League and ask for their help, and Adam draws his laser gun on her. In the past, she tells Adam the story of their first meeting from her point of view, which seems to contradict Alan Moore's version on the surface. Speaking of Alan Moore, as the scenes from the past and present converge, the two main characters seems to be conversing with the past/present versions of themselves. It effect is reminiscent of the scene from The Watchmen in which Laurie Jupiter realizes who her father is. It is also reminiscent of Tom King's own Mister Miracle, in which Scott Free and Big Barda take turns fighting on the front lines of the war against Apokolips, then come home at night. In the past, Adam and Alanna watch as the Moorm devour the last two Pykkt warriors on Rann. In the present, Adam and Alanna fight over the gun and it goes off, wounding (killing?) Adam.

This issue quote is from Al Feldstein.

I can hardly wait to find out how this story ends.

• Jeff of Earth-J said:

STRANGE ADVENTURES #11:

Alanna confronts Adam about Aleea interspersed with scenes of the final defeat of the Pykkts on Rann. In the present, Adam at first plays dumb about Aleea being alive, then admits she's being held on a ship orbiting Mars.

He was so good at playing dumb that I thought he really didn’t know she was alive. My question is: did he know she was going to be a hostage when he took her out that day?

Once Alanna learns the truth about Aleea, she resolves to go to the Justice League and ask for their help, and Adam draws his laser gun on her.

Adam is certain that this would result in Aleea’s real death. I tend to agree.

In the present, Adam and Alanna fight over the gun and it goes off, wounding (killing?) Adam.

I remember that, like in Star Trek, there is a stun setting. It’s hard to believe he would have killed Alanna.

This reply was deleted.