I didn't entirely get the intended construction of the jokes in the Sunday Bizzaro (Sp??) strip yesterday .   ( The strip appars to be not online , as it is a King Features Syndicate strip , who - Gasp !!! - appear to think they're in the comics business to make money , and keep their strips behind a wall . )

The joke was " variations on ' I Love New York ' "...but was the panhandler's shirt supposed to be saying " I Owe New York " ?"  I Have Zero , New York " ?

The yokel , in Middle Ages garb...Was his shirt suppost'a mean " I Love York " , as in the English county that New York was indeed named after ??? ( And Prince Charles is now considered the Duke of , if I recall correctly . )

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• My favorite was Godzilla’s: “I # NY” :P

I’m intrigued by the blond “giant” introduced in Prince Valiant Sunday, October 16. Did you notice his belt buckle? Schultz and Gianni have strayed from the Foster model in they have introduced real elements of the fantastic (if that’s not a contradiction in terms) into the strip, as opposed to science mistaken for magic or the unknown mistaken for the supernatural. Could they now be delving into… science fiction? I’m probably way off base here, but that blond guy reminds me an awful lot of Flash Gordon (or a Flash Gordon stand-in, anyway).
  • Was it "The Far Side" that showed a monster driving a car with a bumper sticker that read "I 8 New York"?
  • Jeff, I had a look at those recent Prince Valiants (at the Seattle PI site). I've no doubt he's being drawn to look like Alex Raymond's Gordon. I remember seeing Gordon called a blond giant in a Raymond strip.
  • I thought so, too! Also, he arrives in a fashion akin to the time travel in the Terminator films.

“Something Old, Something New”: Last weekend we bought Lynn Johnston’s recent (2010) HC collection of For Better or for Worse on clearance at HPB. What she and her daughter have done was to take the new “retro” strips and insert them where they would fit in the original continuity. I haven’t begun to read it yet; my wife snatched it out from under me. She says she thinks the collection is comprehensive as far as the original material is concerned. All of the continuity implants are designated by an asterisk, but the merging is not perfect. Tracy pointed out to me two examples this morning. In one of the old strips, Elly mentions something about Farley being at home alone a few weeks before one of the new strips shows them getting him as a puppy for the first time. In another inserted sequence, Michael gets a gold fish as a trial run for taking care of a puppy, but it is named “Fred” in one strip and “Frank” in another.
  • ...This started elsewhere , but as for strips carried in our local papers:

The daily Santa Cruz Sentinel carries Bizarro (strip size) and Kidspot (panel puzzle/strip combination) on showbiz/advice puzzle pages .

The carry Alley Oop in the classified ads - Not always on Friday or Saturday .

They carry one editorial cartoon daily , two-four on Saturday and Sunday - seemingly all syndicated , not a local one .

On the dedicated " COMICS " page:

Left column , from top,

Dilbert

Zits

Pearls Before Swine

Sherman's Lagoon

The Brilliant Mind Of Edison Lee @ (boy genius leads normal suburban life - Bernie the Brain , 21st Century ?????)

Get Fuzzy

Lio

Baby Blues

Freshly Squeezed (a recession-forced three-generation family , inside one house)

Blondie .

The right column:

Non Sequiter (panel-sized)

Argyle Sweater @ (panel-sized) (Far Side , Rhymes With Orange , etc.-type single-gags anthology)

Doonesbury

Rhymes With Orange (strip)

F Minus @?? (strip) (as with Argyle , gags anthology)

The Duplex

Baldo

Pickles

Mutts

Peanuts (title says just " PEANUTS " , it's 1998 strips) .

Legend: " @ " mens " New to me before this paper " , I included an explanation or two more for strips I thought might be unfamiliar , the whole thing of (generally) single-panel strips like Non Sequiter and Rhymes With Orange being offered in both panel and strip dimension versions - which means considerably re-arranging the drawing - just weirds me out !!!!!!!!!!!

Baldo appeared to be going around to suggesting that some of the (pretty middle-class , nice house , after all) adult family members might be illegal U.S. residents - Then , may have backed away from that - ??

• Old-timer strips Blondie and Peanuts are at the bottom of their respective columns . Do you see this pattern in your locals , " Oldies at the bottom of the pile " - ?
  • ...Can anybody find me a free , daily-Sunday , source for the THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN strip on-line , please ???????????

• PowerBook Pete (The Mad Mod) said:
    ...Thank you !!!!!!!!!:-)
  • There’s a note at the end of “Something Old, Something New” (the collection of Lyn Johnston’s For Better or For Worse strips interspersed with more recently-created ones) which explains the older material is not complete.

Prince Valiant Update: Aleta seems to recognize the “blond giant.” Hmm…
This reply was deleted.