Views: 49052

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ron M. said:

Marvel to make Chinese superheroes. Rumor has it Iron Fist may be Asian in the movies.
So why is the Ancient One, an already existing Asian character, once again going to be white?

The IMDB site says the character is to be played by Tilda Swinton. The Marvel.com site doesn’t say this so it may or may not be true. IMDB is maintained by internet users like Wikipedia. The first time I saw Tilda Swinton was in the movie Constantine, playing the angel Gabriel. She made me an instant fan. She could do it as a male or female Ancient One but it would probably make more sense to use an Asian actor.

Joel Grey played an Asian in the Remo Williams movie. Tilda Swinton played the title character in Orlando, both male and female. Going the other direction, also in Orlando, Quentin Crisp played Elizabeth I.

Ron M. said:

Marvel to make Chinese superheroes. Rumor has it Iron Fist may be Asian in the movies.

So why is the Ancient One, an already existing Asian character, once again going to be white?

It makes even less sense than making Ben Kingsley -- part Indian, part British -- the Mandarin in Iron Man II.

And why was Khan - who was portrayed by a Mexican actor back in the 60's (Could one argue that there just weren't alot of Indian actors available in  Hollywood back then?)  portrayed by a white Englishman nearly 50 years later? (When it's harder to make that argument)

Note: I'm not dumping on Montalban or Cummerbund as actors.  Montalban in particular was always a favorite of mine.

Except they were trying to make that character non-Chinese, since the original Mandarin is widely viewed as an offensive Fu Manchuesque Yellow Peril sort of stereotype.

ClarkKent_DC said:

Ron M. said:

It makes even less sense than making Ben Kingsley -- part Indian, part British -- the Mandarin in Iron Man II.

I've heard Baron Mordo will be black. They say they need to get away from every character being a white guy, but it seems that's the only minority group benefiting from that decision. I've heard there have been hints the Mandarin in Iron Man 3 was an imposter and there's a real one out there somewhere. Let's see if they get him right next time.

The Frenchman Passepartout was played by Mexican comedian Cantinflas in the 60s and Jackie Chan in the remake. While Chan admits that he's not French, Cantinflas spoke with a French accent.

I've also heard they realized how stupid it would look in a movie if they mentioned he got his rings from dragons in a UFO. That shouldn't even have been considered when they were writing the movie. Having aliens make the rings however would tie in with the Guardians movie.

Prototype lunar rover sold for scrap metal. NASA asked for its return but was told it was too late.

photo spoiler-1.gif

Ron M. said:

I've heard there have been hints the Mandarin in Iron Man 3 was an imposter and there's a real one out there somewhere. Let's see if they get him right next time.

Unless I mis-read your comment, it sounds like you didn't see Iron Man 3. The so-called Mandarin was just an actor pretending to be a terrorist called the Mandarin. As for a next time I wouldn't count on it. I think the last appearance of Iron Man/Tony Stark is in the Civil War movie.

I've also heard they realized how stupid it would look in a movie if they mentioned he got his rings from dragons in a UFO. That shouldn't even have been considered when they were writing the movie. Having aliens make the rings however would tie in with the Guardians movie.

The public might get it mixed up with the Green Lantern movie. I don't see why the rings (which powered the UFO) couldn't be found by a guy who becomes a supervillain. There wouldn't have to be dragons. The problem is the name "Mandarin." It's distinctly Chinese yet they are afraid to show a Chinese villain even though half the people on earth are Chinese. He could be a clean-shaven Chinese hacker who breaks into Stark Industries, winds up finding rings and decides to call himself the Mandarin. How is that Fu Manchu?

I mean both Ben Kingsley and Kevin Feige have dropped hints the actor might have been pretending to be a terrorist that really does exist. Like the first Red Skull turned out to be an imposter in Tales of Suspense.

http://www.newsarama.com/21646-marvel-s-feige-opens-door-to-red-sku...

The character you describe wouldn't be Fu Manchu. But if you announce that the first significant Asian character in your popular series is the Mandarin, and the comic-book reference is clearly modeled on Fu Manchu, you might have the kind of PR issues that studios try to avoid.

Richard Willis said:

photo spoiler-1.gif

The problem is the name "Mandarin." It's distinctly Chinese yet they are afraid to show a Chinese villain even though half the people on earth are Chinese. He could be a clean-shaven Chinese hacker who breaks into Stark Industries, winds up finding rings and decides to call himself the Mandarin. How is that Fu Manchu?

One of the elusive things about the comic book Fantastic Four is what they actually do. They're not really crimefighters/crisis-fighters, like the Avengers. Some of their adventures result from Reed's projects, but I think this isn't so common that one can call them explorers. I think I've figured it out. They're consulting superheroes, much as Sherlock Holmes was a consulting detective, except they conduct their superhero work on a non-profit basis and fund themselves from Reed's inventions and presumably through appearances in advertising, paid speeches, licensing, reality TV appearances etc.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service