Views: 61143

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

These are from Sep. 42, Nov. 42 and Apr. 43 (images from the GCD):

Here are three variations with the Blackhawks (images from the GCD):

And here's a related concept on covers from Feb. 42, Aug. 42 and Feb. 43 (images from the GCD):

I'll conclude with these three from Mar. 41, Mar. 42 and May 42 (images from the GCD):

From Police Comics #82 (Quality, 1948), from the scan of the issue at Comic Book Plus. The GCD ascribes the art to Alice Kirkpatrick.

Quality's Manhunter had a much longer run than DC's. He appeared in Police Comics #8-#89, #91, #93-#101. DC's debuted less than two months after Quality's and appeared in Adventure Comics #73-#92. The Ed Moore "Paul Kirk, Manhunter" stories, about a private investigator, appeared in Adventure Comics #58-#72.

From "Blackhawk", Modern Comics #86 (Quality, 1949), from the scan of the issue at Comic Book Plus.

I think Chop-Chop is reaching to form the handhold for the throw in the first panel. The GCD attributes the pencils tentatively to Reed Crandall, and the inks to Chuck Cuidera.

Blackhawk in panel two looks an awful lot like a Wally Wood swipe.

The Golden Age of Comics: Racist caricature and dwarf-tossing!

Luke Blanchard said:

I think Chop-Chop is reaching to form the handhold for the throw in the first panel. The GCD attributes the pencils tentatively to Reed Crandall, and the inks to Chuck Cuidera.

Captain Comics said:

Blackhawk in panel two looks an awful lot like a Wally Wood swipe.

1949 is early in Wood's career. It might be the Crandall/Cuidera team was an influence on Wood.

Wood reportedly kept image files and made use of swipes. I believe Dan Adkins picked up the approach from him. The NoMan figure on the cover of T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents #7 is a swipe of a Blackhawk figure. I can't remember where I saw this pointed out. This splash panel looks like the source:

The story is from Blackhawk #52 (Quality, 1952).  The GCD doesn't have guesses as to the artists. Image from the scan of the issue at Comic Book Plus.

From "Blackhawk", Modern Comics #70 (Quality, 1947 [on sale]), from the scan of the issue at Comic Book Plus. Art by Reed Crandall and Chuck Cuidera. (Isn't that a gorgeous panel?)

I just finished watching the third of the three Law & Order/Homicide: Life on the Street crossover episodes, "Sideshow" (Law & Order) and "Sideshow, Part 2" (Homicide).

The first of these "ripped from the headlines" tales presented a gas attack in the New York subway system that led to a cold case of a white supremacist who perpetrated a church bombing in Baltimore, based on a sarin gas attack in Tokyo's subway. The second was the Jon Benet Ramsey case. This one was the Kenneth Starr investigation.

It was kind of fun to crawl into the mental W.A.B.A.C. Machine and get back in the frame of mind I had when I saw these episodes fresh the first time ... when Detective Briscoe was still with us ... when John Munch was still on the Baltimore P.D. ... when Homicide: Life on the Street was still on the air, even in reruns (I found the second half of the story on YouTube).

It was also fun because it was the fourth time I've watched it, and I FINALLY understood the plot!

It began with a woman found dead in a New York park. Although she's been shot, Medical Examiner Rogers determines she died from strangulation; the shooting was an attempt to make it appear to be a robbery gone wrong.

Then our stalwart detectives learn the victim is a former employee of the White House, recently transferred to Baltimore. So why was she dumped in New York?

Don't ask me; I don't think I can describe it all. The story weaves from New York to Baltimore to Washington and back again, with wonderful establishing shots to let you know you are in all these places: the 27th Precinct in NYC, the old City Pier that serves as the Baltimore Homicide headquarters, the Waterfront Bar, the U.S. District Court in Baltimore, the Justice Department headquarters, the Old Executive Office Building, the White House (of course) and, God help us, even the Watergate building!

And the plot makes use of each show's history and continuity. From Law & Order, New York County Executive Assistant District Attorney Jack McCoy runs afoul of the special prosecutor, who subpoenas him to testify before a grand jury and pulls out old dirt about one of his office flings, his disciplinary hearing over hiding a witness, even Claire Kincaid's death in a car accident and the fact that a drunk Lenny Briscoe was the passenger. And on the Homicide front, Baltimore City States Attorney Ed Danvers gets nominated for a judgeship, but loses it because the special prosecutor leaks information about an old assault charge against him when he was a juvenile that was supposed to be sealed. Also, Detective Rene Sheppard, in a previous episode, had a miscreant snatch her gun from her, so everybody's looking at her sideways, particularly her partner Meldrick Lewis and the other female detectives on the squad, who think Sheppard's error has everyone looking at them sideways.

Wonderful stuff!

Also, it was a kick to Jerry Orbach and Richard Belzer together again. They missed a bet when they didn't put Lenny and Munch in their own show. I could watch those two guys all day.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

Richard Willis replied to Emerkeith Davyjack's discussion All-purpose newspaper strips discussion
"Te Beetle Bailey strip on January 27 had its third strip that includes a female soldier. Her shirt…"
1 hour ago
Richard Willis replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
1 hour ago
Luke Blanchard replied to Peter Wrexham's discussion Celebrity Mastermind - "The History of DC Comics"
"Wikipedia's page on Wheeler-Nicholson has a quote from 50 Who Made DC Great about how he…"
1 hour ago
Richard Willis replied to Wandering Sensei: Moderator Man's discussion What Comic Books Have You Read Today?
"Lee Houston, Junior said: In case you're unaware of this, the Funky Winkerbean strip…"
1 hour ago
Richard Willis replied to Peter Wrexham's discussion Celebrity Mastermind - "The History of DC Comics"
"Luke Blanchard said: Famous Funnies started in 1934. Eastern Color was a printer which had…"
3 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to The Baron's discussion Movies I Have Seen Lately
"GHOSTBUSTERS: AFTERLIFE (2021): This is the one Tracy refers to as "the one with the…"
6 hours ago
Richard Willis posted a video

Marvel Studios' LOKI Season 2 | Teaser Trailer | Disney+

#LokiSeason2 #DisneyPlus #MarvelStudiosHere's our 'Teaser Trailer' concept for Marvel Studios' LOKI Season 2 (More Info About This Video Down Below!)Let us k...
10 hours ago
Randy Jackson replied to Captain Comics's discussion Bond #5: 'From Russia, with Love'
"Apparently, the Roma are still out there alive and kicking"
10 hours ago
JD DeLuzio replied to The Baron's discussion Movies I Have Seen Lately
10 hours ago
Captain Comics replied to Captain Comics's discussion Bond #5: 'From Russia, with Love'
"As these things go, this was one of the better Connery films in my opinion. For those of you who…"
11 hours ago
The Baron replied to Captain Comics's discussion Bond #5: 'From Russia, with Love'
"And also explains why he looks completely different every few years.  Either that, or…"
11 hours ago
Irma Kruhl replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Sue and Sally Smith, Flying Nurses #54 (the last issue of the series)"
11 hours ago

© 2023   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service