Rich Johnston's got his...but what do you think will happen in Captain America #600 and Reborn #1? A new new Captain America? The return of Steve Rogers? Something else altogether? I don't have a full idea myself, but I think the Bucky Cap has proven popular enough that they won't be quick to undo him... The teasers show the Heroes Reborn Bucky in the ads for #600, so what I'm thinking we'll see is her coming on as the new Cap's Bucky...and bringing with her a way to revive Steve Rogers, who will not take back up the mantle of Captain America but will be reborn (see what I did there? :P ) as a new hero. We've got about two weeks to find out...

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I don't think Steve Rogers will pop up alive just yet, though we may get some in-story teasers/foreshadowing that he will eventually. I'm betting he'll show up closer to the release of the Captain America film, and that's not due out for a couple of years.

When he does show up, I'd bet he does resume the title, but Bucky may not necessarily be relegated back to Winter Soldier status. We may have two Caps running around, ala the Flashes and Green Lanterns over at DC.
  • Whenever Rogers returns, I worry about Diminished Returns. I'm flashing back to the '80s with Captain American and U.S. Agent sharing the book.
  • There's some speculation that the Cap "reborn" will be the one from Captain America: Red, White and Black, who I believe is the uncle of the Patriot character in Young Avengers. If successful, it might lead to an African-American in the lead role in the Captain America movie. (Will Smith has been mentioned.)

This is all sheer speculation, of course. But it is a reminder that Steve Rogers isn't the only Cap who could be reborn, although he has the highest profile. Lots of folks have toted the shield, including Jeff "Patriot" Mace and The Spirit of '76.
  • I think "Winter Soldier" is too good a name to lie fallow for long.

That said, I'm not 100% sold that "Reborn" will mark the return of the Steve Rogers we know and love. And if it's not, the idea of a Black Captain America has a certain appeal -- and, I think, would be more likely to be treated as "news" than if anyone else were taking the role. Whether this would be Isaiah Bradly, the Cap from "Truth," or some other contender, I think a lot of news outlets would like the story -- more than they did when Bradley was introduced, because now they could tie the story in to Obama.
  • Rob Staeger said:
    now they could tie the story in to Obama.

I'm surprised Rob Leifeld hasn't put out a book showing that the Fighting American is Obama.
  • Ha! Too true.

Another thing I noticed is that the house ads have a white star on a BLACK background, not a blue one. I may be reading too much into that, but if it turns out to be a clue, we can say, "It was a clue!"
  • Captain Comics said:
    Another thing I noticed is that the house ads have a white star on a BLACK background, not a blue one. I may be reading too much into that, but if it turns out to be a clue, we can say, "It was a clue!"

Steve Rogers is a Black Lantern! Don't tell anyone!
  • I'm honestly not thrilled about the idea of Steve Rogers returning yet. Sure, it's been two and a half years our time but only a couple of months (if that) Marvel time. That's a pretty quick turnaround for Death's Revolving Door, even at Marvel. Second, we haven't really seen much of James Barnes as Captain America. I haven't actually gone back and counted but it sure seems like there have been far more issues of the former Bucky not being Captain America then there have with him in the costume. It feels like he's either being Winter Soldier again or the book features someone other than the supposedly titular character. Even the recent #50 story came across as more about him as Bucky and Winter Soldier then as Captain America.

Yes, these have been darn good stories. I've enjoyed all of them. But, really, I'd like to see Steve Rogers' heir actually BEING Captain America a lot more.
  • I haven't read it yet, but I'd bet he's not returning this month, but rather the seeds of said return will be planted.
  • Jeff Alan "Cavalier" Polier said:
    I'm honestly not thrilled about the idea of Steve Rogers returning yet. Sure, it's been two and a half years our time but only a couple of months (if that) Marvel time.

One of the issues of the new Thor series had Thor commemorating Captain America on the first anniversary of his death, so it's been at least a year Marvel time.
This reply was deleted.