Comics Guide: Aug. 14-20, 2023

For this week's full list, go here

TOP 5 PUBLISHERS

MARVEL COMICS

The top news from Marvel this week is the continuing "Fall of X" crossover (five titles), an entry in "Contest of Chaos," a new "Marvel Voices" and a new "What If ...? Dark." "Dark Droids" and "Summer of Symbiotes" also continue. 

"FALL OF X"

ALPHA FLIGHT #1 (OF 5)

11028341668?profile=RESIZE_710x

Story: Ed Brisson | Art: Scott Godlewski | Cover: Leonard Kirk | Variants: Dan Jurgens, Javier Garrón, Ron Lim, Arthur Adams | Teen+ | $3.99

SAVING CANADA … FROM THE MUTANT MENACE?!

Since 2019’s revolutionary HOUSE OF X and POWERS OF X series, mutantkind has experienced unparalleled growth and prosperity on the island nation Krakoa — but can it really last forever? Following July’s X-MEN: HELLFIRE GALA #1, mutantkind will enter a thrilling new era of uncertainty, danger, and mystery known as FALL OF X! In the ensuing chaos, a beloved Marvel Super Hero team rises once more! ALPHA FLIGHT will reassemble to navigate the dark times that have befallen mutantkind.

Alpha Flight’s new chapter will be written by Ed Brisson, known for his current work on Predator and as one of the creators who helped launch the Krakoan era to incredible success with New Mutants. Brisson returns to the world of mutantkind alongside Marvel Comics newcomer, artist Scott Godlewski. Together, they’ll introduce two conflicting Alpha Flight squads that are formed in response to the shocking events of this year’s Hellfire Gala. Mutantkind’s actions have put Canada on the offense and in addition to crafting a new line of Sentinels, they’ll assign a government-sponsored team with de-escalating the mutant conflict by any means necessary! But a second Alpha Flight team joins the fight, striking from the shadows. More secrets and conspiracies are revealed as classic Alpha Flight members and new faces alike become major players on both sides of the war that will define mutantkind!

SAVING CANADA  … FROM THE MUTANT MENACE?! Guardian, Puck, Snowbird and Shaman return, as a terrestrial ALPHA FLIGHT bursts onto the scene! But what schism will pit these heroes against their former teammates Aurora, Northstar and Nemesis, as well as Aurora’s beau, Fang? The FALL OF X has changed the game. Will Alpha Flight soar to new heights … or be crushed under the weight of an impossible mission?

"Like every Canadian kid who grew up reading comics, one of my biggest dreams was to write for Alpha Flight,” Brisson said. “Growing up, I was a huge fan of the original Byrne run and have followed the team over the years and through every series. The original team of Guardian, Puck, Northstar, Aurora, Shaman, Snowbird and Sasquatch holds a special place in my heart. Unfortunately, Sasquatch is currently indisposed, but the opportunity to bring the rest of the team together, even if they're split and fighting against one another, is an absolute dream come true. And for those of you wondering if I've forgotten anyone, rest assured, I haven't ;). There are a few surprises for Alpha Flight fans in the mix, but I won't spoil anything just yet.”

“As for returning for the Fall of X era, it feels like a perfect bookend for my work on X-Men,” Brisson continued. “Having been there for the launch of the new era, it's an honor to come back and help close out this chapter of X-Men history."

• I never thought Alpha Flight lived up to its potential. Probably its coolest iteration was when the characters were supporting characters in Captain Marvel, but they weren't Alpha Flight — they had little to do with their original conception and could just as easily have been called "Carol Corps" and This version has all the original members except for Sasquatch, and from the PR, I'd say he's bound to make an appearance (probably on the non-mutant team, but who knows?). Anyway, fingers crossed on this one. 
  • I have to say that, while I don't know who Vindicator is currently and there's no telling what Snowbird might be thinking, I find it hard to believe that Puck and Shaman would indulge in anti-mutant bigotry — especially since both come from marginilized groups. And especially since some of the people they'll be told to capture or kill for how they were born are fellow Alpha Flight members. I hope this will be addressed in a plausible manner in the first issue.
  • I don't know much about Nemesis, as apparently all three of them (!) appeared, and died, when I wasn't reading Alpha Flight. Nor did I read whatever issues united Aurora and Fang as significant others. Isn't Fang from the Legion of Sup — I mean, the Imperial Guard?
  • Note the The X-Men #100 homage below.

12183891887?profile=RESIZE_180x18012183892460?profile=RESIZE_180x18012183892859?profile=RESIZE_180x180

DARK X-MEN #1 (OF 5)

11026362879?profile=RESIZE_710x12183894289?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story: Steve Foxe | Art: Jonas Scharf | Cover: Stephen Segovia | Variants: Alex Ross, Adam Hughes | Parental Advisory | $3.99

WELCOME TO THE DARK X-MEN … HOPE THE WORLD SURVIVES THE EXPERIENCE!

Since 2019’s revolutionary HOUSE OF X and POWERS OF X series, mutantkind has experienced unparalleled growth and prosperity on the island nation Krakoa — but can it really last forever? Following July’s X-MEN: HELLFIRE GALA #1, mutantkind will enter a thrilling new era of uncertainty, danger, and mystery known as FALL OF X! As the X-Men struggle to pull themselves together after their shattering defeat, Madelyne Pryor takes charge with her own twisted team of X-Men in DARK X-MEN!

Written by Steve Foxe (X-Men Annual) and drawn by Jonas Scharf (Avengers of the Wastelands), DARK X-MEN will star a squad of X-Men unlike any other you’ve seen before: Madelyne Pryor, Havok, Archangel, Gambit, Azazel, Zero, Albert, and Emplate. This deadly group will band together to fill the void left by the X-Men, and are seemingly the perfect team to combat the harsh conditions of FALL OF X. Their hearts are in the right place but under the unpredictable leadership of the Goblin Queen and operating out of New York’s new Limbo Embassy, will this team’s dark ways turn the tide for mutantkind or make things far worse?

Following the explosive events of the Hellfire Gala, Madelyne Pryor realizes the world needs the X-Men now more than ever. Havok, Archangel, and Gambit have served on teams before … but never one that looks like this! And how does Gimmick, breakout star of Children of the Atom and 2023’s Marvel’s Voices: Pride, fall under the Goblin Queen’s sway? Find out in the most horrific installment of the X-Men saga yet!

“Picking up Madelyne Pryor’s journey is a WILD and terrifying honor,” Foxe shared. “Maddie is coming into DARK X-MEN with a sense of autonomy she’s rarely had over her life — but she’s doing so during the FALL OF X. I don’t think it’s a spoiler to say things aren’t happy-go-lucky for anyone in the mutant orbit right now, and that includes tempestuous redheads who’ve plopped a giant demon castle right off of Central Park. I’m excited for readers to find out how this unlikely cast got summoned under one roof — the ones at Maddie’s side by choice, the ones stuck in Limbo by circumstances out of their control, and the ones who don’t make it out of the first issue alive — and to watch Jonas Scharf unleash a whole new brand of gothic horror-action on the Marvel Universe. This is X-Men by way of Evil Dead and we’re not leaving until we burn the whole place to the ground.”

•  So are they going to keep Jean dead for a while and use Madelyne Pryor instead? I've never been terribly interested in her (she's a clone, after all), and her team isn't exactly A-list. That Wolverine in the front is Albert, a Logan android that used to run around with a robot named Elsie-Dee (LCD). I'm only vaguely familiar with Azazel (mainly from X-Men: First Class) and don't know anything about Zero.

GHOST RIDER #17

11762386652?profile=RESIZE_400x12183895675?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story: Benjamin Percy | Art: Geoff Shaw | Cover: Ryan Stegman | Variant: Björn Barends | Parental Advisory | $3.99

BLAZE and LOGAN investigate a series of ritualistic deaths involving mutants!

• "Weapons of Vengeance" Part Two, which somehow ties into "Fall of X." But let's face it, this is all about the grim 'n' gritty, not story.

UNCANNY AVENGERS #1 (OF 5)

11019814476?profile=RESIZE_710xStory: Gerry Duggan | Art/Cover: Javier Garrón | 

Variants: Alex Ross, Elena Casagrande, George Pérez,  Greg Land, Jen Bartel

THE FALL OF X will be a major turning point for the X-Men franchise that will see huge changes in current ongoing X-titles and the launch of multiple exciting new series! The devastating events of the Hellfire Gala and the tragic circumstances of FALL OF X calls for the return of the Avengers Unity Squad, in a new run of UNCANNY AVENGERS written by Gerry Duggan and drawn by Javier Garrón! Innocent people and world leaders are dead after simultaneous attacks on the U.S. and Krakoan governments, and that means one thing: it's time for a new squad of Avengers. False flag attacks meant to whip up anti-mutant hysteria are unfolding and hey, some of Steve Rogers' best friends are mutants. Marvel’s new unity squad will include Captain America, Rogue, Deadpool, Quicksilver, Psylocke and Penance. This powerhouse new team must solve the mystery of who the new, murderous Captain Krakoa is — and stop his team of killers from igniting the fires of a new world war.

“Everything we’ve been working towards in our third act is coming to a head this summer,” Duggan told fans in a video message. “The Uncanny Avengers have existed to provide an example of unity between humanity and mutantdom, and they will need to work extra hard at that now as relationships and friendships have frayed in the events of FALL OF X.”

For this milestone of two of the comic book industry’s most groundbreaking superhero teams, the incomparable Alex Ross has turned out two stunning art pieces that will serve as connecting variant covers on various Avengers and X-Men titles throughout 2023. Retailers got a sneak peek at the artwork last month at ComicsPro, and now it’s time to see them in all their painted glory!

There’s no better artist to capture the magnificent spirit of both teams and Ross’ new covers are destined to become classic images in the years ahead. The first part of both covers can be collected this August with UNCANNY AVENGERS #1, the upcoming title that sees Earth’s Mightiest Heroes and mutantkind protecting the Marvel Universe side by side!

"With the X-Men piece, I didn't originally make the design. I copied an existing classic cover design that everybody would know and connect to,” Ross explained. “The X-Men piece is showing an accentuation of the action, where it's a split second difference later. Wolverine is completing a full attack swipe and everybody is attacking harder. I added in the bit with lightning coming from Storm, which would be a split second of movement."

Paying homage to Jim Lee’s legendary 1991 X-Men #1 cover, Ross’ X-MEN 60TH ANNIVERSARY CONNECTING COVER is a mutant masterpiece where Ross puts his signature spin on an iconic '90s moment! 

"In the case of the Avengers, I wanted to capture something of the era I grew up with, but also something extensive,” Ross said. “So I captured the first 30 years of that team, from the ‘60s through the ‘80s. I end where 1989 closes. I'm trying to make sure my work is aligning with how the character looked and also the attitudes the characters had."

• Weird to see Quicksilver on an Avengers team again. I'm not knocking it, but it's been so long I'd forgotten he existed. And whatever happened to Hawkeye? I don't really miss him, but seeing Quicksilver makes me wonder where he is.
  • "Bonus page written by Jonathan Hickman — WHO ARE THE G.O.D.S.?" This is the fifth time this page has been presented.

12183897857?profile=RESIZE_180x18012183897297?profile=RESIZE_180x18012183897871?profile=RESIZE_180x18012183898059?profile=RESIZE_180x18012183897893?profile=RESIZE_180x180

11004045253?profile=RESIZE_710x
11004078057?profile=RESIZE_710x

X-MEN RED #14

11028349893?profile=RESIZE_400xStory: Al Ewing | Art:Yildiray Çinar | Variant: Javier Garrón, Mirka Andolfo | Teen+ | $3.99

AFTER THE FALL!

As the Brotherhood reels from the cataclysmic events of the Hellfire Gala, Genesis takes advantage of the chaos — and declares war! Two vast mutant armies clash, and Arakko’s idols fall …but this is only the beginning of a conflict that will remake the Red Planet. And whatever happened to Isca the Unbeaten?

Also, X-MEN RED #14 hints that Apocalypse’s long-awaited return from Amenth may make matters far, far worse.

• Starring Storm and ... probably a whole bunch of Arakko characters nobody cares about. Although that cover shows Apocalypse, Nova and Sunspot, so maybe I'm wrong. 

MEANWHILE, BACK IN THE REST OF THE MCU ...

"Summer of Symbiotes"

DEATH OF THE VENOMVERSE #2 (OF 5)

11143353660?profile=RESIZE_710x11117280856?profile=RESIZE_710x

Story: Cullen Bunn, David Michelinie & Taigami | Art: Gerardo Sandoval, Taigami, more | Cover: Björn Barends | Variants: Derrick Chew, Vincenzo Carratù, Gabriele Dell’otto, Mark Bagley, Ryan Stegman | 40 pages | Teen+ | $4.99

ENTER: THE SYMBIOTE SIX!

It’s the SUMMER OF SYMBIOTES and the Marvel Universe is exploding with new symbiote characters, sagas, and revelations! This entire season of symbiote insanity is building up to DEATH OF THE VENOMVERSE, a new limited series launching in August by Venom superstars Cullen Bunn and artist Gerardo Sandoval. This five-part symbiote epic will revolutionize the symbiote mythos.

Carnage begins his most savage rampage yet in DEATH OF THE VENOMVERSE! The new limited series by writer Cullen Bunn and artist Gerardo Sandoval will see Carnage set out to slay every last symbiote in the Marvel multiverse to become ruler of all symbiotes and the new King in Black! He’ll have his work cut out from him as symbiote heroes and villains from throughout space and time emerge to take him down, including some of the new characters that recently debuted in EXTREME VENOMVERSE. Amongst these symbiote slayers will be Anne Weying, AKA She-Venom, Eddie Brock’s ex-wife and mother of Dylan Brock. To celebrate She-Venom’s surprising return in this capstone saga of the SUMMER OF SYMBIOTES, superstar artist Derrick Chew has turned out a stunning variant cover spotlighting her in all her twisted glory! Over the last few months, Chew has depicted some of Marvel’s most popular heroes in best-selling covers and this latest one featuring Eddie Brock’s tragic love is sure to be a must have for symbiote fans!

This dark tale will have a bright spot as a new symbiote hero emerges amidst Carnage’s chaos — KID VENOM. Starting in DEATH OF THE VENOMVERSE #2, Kid Venom’s story will be told by in backup stories written and drawn by his creator, acclaimed manga artist Taigami (Unsung Hero)! Hailing from 10th century Japan, Kentaru will do anything to protect his village from mysterious symbiote attacks, even if it means bonding to a symbiote of his own! As he attaches himself to a new symbiote entity dubbed Clinter, Kentaru embraces his wild new abilities as Kid Venom! But is he in way over his head when Carnage’s fury swings his way?

Plus: DAVID MICHELINIE brings you a classic tale in the vein of LETHAL PROTECTOR … or is there more than meets the eye?

• This issue was supposed to ship last week, but evidently some delays have crept in. 

11143353466?profile=RESIZE_400x11143353675?profile=RESIZE_400x

MARVEL'S VOICES: X-MEN #1

12150428494?profile=RESIZE_400x12183896493?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story: Greg Pak, Al Ewing, Jay Edidin, Raphael Draccon, Carolina Munhóz, more | Art: Jan Bazaldua, Jethro Morales, Nina Vakueva, Wilton Santos, Daniel Bayliss, Gustavo Vargas & More | Cover: Bernard Chang | Variants: Betsy Cola, David Marque | 56 pages | Teen+ | $6.99

All year long, Marvel Comics proudly spotlights diverse storytelling in various titles as well as star-studded MARVEL’S VOICES anthologies! Whether focused on certain communities or zooming in on specific corners of the Marvel Universe, Marvel’s Voices proves that the Marvel Universe truly is the world outside your window. This July, MARVEL’S VOICES invites talent from throughout the industry to continue this tradition with a batch of all-new stories celebrating Marvel’s mightiest mutants in MARVEL’S VOICES: X-MEN #1!

From the exhilarating days of Xavier’s School for Gifted Youngsters to the current halcyon days of Krakoa, these stories span the gamut of the X-Men’s history – delving into the past of some of your favorite X-Men as well as looking toward their future. Here’s what fans can look forward to:

• Jay Edidin, co-host of the hit X-Men podcast “Jay and Miles X-Plain the X-Men” and known for his acclaimed work on Marvel titles like Marvels Snapshots: X-Men #1 and the Captain America Infinity Comic on Marvel Unlimited, joins artist Nina Vakueva for a heartfelt tale about Mystique and Destiny set during the couple’s time leading the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants.
  • Raphael Draccon & Carolina Munhóz, best-selling Brazilian fantasy novelists and screenwriters, take one Marvel’s most iconic couples out on a date in their very first Marvel work! Drawn by artist Jethro Morales, this story is packed with twists and turns as Gambit drags Rogue out for a romantic night out to … rob the Thieves Guild?!
  • Comedian and TV writer Jay Jurden (The Problem With Jon Stewart) makes his Marvel Comics debut alongside artist Wilton Santos with a spotlight on Storm and Iceman! See two of the X-Men’s most powerful members bond about being omega-level mutants as they push each other to new heights!
  • Superstar writer Greg Pak, known for modern mutant masterpieces like Phoenix: Endsong, Storm and Magneto: Testament, returns to the X-Men with newcomer Daniel Bayliss for an unexpected team-up story starring Jubilee and Lady Deathstrike
  • X-Men architect Al Ewing, currently diving into Arakko’s secret history in X-Men Red, spotlights new Wolverine baddie Solem with newcomer artist Gustaffo Vargas! The breakout anti-hero from X of Swords has a sordid past of heartbreaks and betrayal and it’s time for it to be revealed!
  • Author Sarah Kuhn (Heroine Complex) and artist Jorge Corona make their explosive Marvel Comics debut with a telepathic team outing starring Jean Grey and Emma Frost! The popular pairing will have enjoy a long-awaited bonding experience when a day out on the town takes a dramatic turn!
  • Plus an introduction by New Mutants scribe Vita Ayala, a nostalgic trip through the X-Men’s glory days by artists Jan Bazldua and Marcelo Costa, and more!

Celebrating its 60th anniversary, the X-Men franchise has shined as a beacon of diversity with its incredible cast of characters from different backgrounds and cultures and its thought-provoking approach to social issues. Join an exciting lineup of fan-favorite creators and fresh new talent in celebrating the franchise’s groundbreaking legacy and bright future in a wide range of thrilling tales that utilizes real world experience from different walks of life!

• These "Voices" specials haven't ever really appealed to me, as they're usually out-of-continuity short stories about minor characters. The fact that Marvel is churning them out like NFTs makes them less and less special, too. Of course, YMMV.

IRON MAN ANNUAL #1

11130070283?profile=RESIZE_400x12183896270?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story: Jason Loo: Art: David Cutler | Cover: Francesco Mobili | Variant: Felipe Massafera | Teen+ | $4.99

IRON MAN VS. STORM!

When the forces of chaos move upon our heroes, the past, present and future come crashing in on them — and only one can emerge victorious! The might of human ingenuity versus the power of the natural universe: IRON MAN battling STORM is a clash of titans you won’t want to miss!

• “Contest of Chaos” Part Two.

WHAT IF...? DARK: MOON KNIGHT #1 (ONE-SHOT)

11037101273?profile=RESIZE_400x12183896690?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story: Erica Schultz | Art/Cover: Edgar Salazar | Cover By Edgar Salazar | Teen+ | $4.99

WHAT IF MOON KNIGHT DID NOT SURVIVE HIS BATTLE WITH BUSHMAN?

When Khonshu’s avatar is slain, a different god empowers their own surprising new champion. From the darkness, emerges a new force to light the way … Luminary! But will her quest for revenge against Moon Knight’s killer result in her own downfall? Find out in WHAT IF ...? DARK: MOON KNIGHT #1  by writer Erica Schultz and artist Edgar Salazar!

• "WHAT IF MOON KNIGHT DID NOT SURVIVE HIS BATTLE WITH BUSHMAN?" Something ironic, if previous What Ifs are any indication.

MORE MARVEL

• "Dark Droids" continues with STAR WARS: DARTH VADER #37. 
  • I've been impatiently trade-waiting IMMORTAL HULK OMNIBUS HC, and now it has arrived.
  • MARVEL STUDIOS ETERNALS: ART OF THE MOVIE HC: I doubt there will be many takers for this.
  • The latest Daredevil title winds up this week with #14. A new Daredevil #1 launches next month.

DC COMICS

It's sort of a slow week for DC, with a number of titles replaced by "Knight Terrors," plus a lot of collections.

BATMAN: ONE BAD DAY COMPLETE BOX SET

12178440066?profile=RESIZE_400xStory/Art: Various | $159.99

The Riddler. Two-Face. The Penguin. Mr. Freeze. Catwoman. Bane. Clayface. Ra's al Ghul. Each villain has their reasons for opposing the Caped Crusader. But were they victims of circumstance who were pushed over the edge, or were they always drawn to darkness? This complete box set contains all eight Batman: One Bad Day hardcovers plus a special edition of Batman: The Killing Joke by Alan Moore and Brian Bolland featuring the original colors by John Higgins.

• I've really been looking forward to this. I don't fool myself that all of the "bad days" that helped create Batman's villains will be of Killing Joke quality. But it's impressive they're going to try, and in some cases will have to provide an origin for characters who've been around decades without one.

WONDER WOMAN BY BRIAN AZZARELLO AND CLIFF CHIANG OMNIBUS HC

12178441255?profile=RESIZE_400xStory: Brian Azzarello | Art:Various | Cover: Cliff Chiang | $150.00
Art by Cliff Chiang, Tony Akins, Dan Green, Kano, and others Writer Brian Azzarello (100 Bullets, Dark Knight III: The Master Race) and artist Cliff Chiang's (Paper Girls) reimagining of one of comics' most iconic characters — Wonder Woman — is collected here in a single volume! This bold take on the Amazonian warrior princess collects the full run from Wonder Woman #0-35, #23.2, and a story from Secret Origins #6 as well as nearly 50 pages of character designs, sketch material, scripts and more.

• I liked some of Azzarello's ideas, and disliked others.
  • What I liked was giving Wonder Woman a definitive origin that explained away all the rest (efforts by Hippolyta to disguise Diana's true parentage, to avoid Hera's wrath). And I liked that origin, as it made Wonder Woman a demigod, on a par with Hercules (at DC) and both Hercules and Thor (at Marvel). And I liked Azzarello's take on the Olympian gods ("the first crime family") and Chiang's designs for them (Pluto was particularly cool). Also, I just like Chiang's art. Unfortunately, Wonder Woman: Historia  Amazons re-established the clay-baby routine, while otherwise being an extraordinary book.
  • What I didn't like, and I feel comfortable assuming I'm not alone, was establishing that Amazons have children, and that male children were given to Hephaestus as slaves immediately after birth. This runs counter to most characterization of Themyscira/Paradise Island in the comics as a decent, caring society; makes Wonder Woman a defender of a bloody-handed, autocratic regime; and leaves a bad taste in one's mouth. Fortunately this idea was also erased by Wonder Woman: Historia — Amazons, which restored the Well of Souls concept for Amazon "reproduction."

MORE DC

• Milestone alert: ICON VS. HARDWARE #4 (OF 5)
  • "Knight Terrors" continues in KNIGHT TERRORS: CATWOMAN #2, KNIGHT TERRORS: NIGHTWING #2, KNIGHT TERRORS: PUNCHLINE #2, KNIGHT TERRORS: SUPERMAN #2 and KNIGHT TERRORS: WONDER WOMAN #2.
  •  THE PENGUIN #0 collects the Penguin backup stories in Batman #125-127 by Chip Zdarsky and Belén Ortega. It's a prelude to a Penguin series, which starts next week.
  • Teen Titans Go! alert: TEEN TITANS GO! BOX SET VOL 1: TV OR NOT TV

IMAGE COMICS

The "Energon Universe," which incorporates newly arrived Hasbro franchises Transformers and G.I. Joe, is evidently becoming a thing.  Plus a new horror title debuts.

THE CULL #1

11130053079?profile=RESIZE_400x

Story: Kelly Thompson | Art: Mattia De Iulis | Covers: Mattia De Iulis, Lorenzo Ceccotti, Michael Walsh, Andrew J. Seles, Chris Shehan, Meredith Mcclaren, Dike Ruan, Tula Lotay  | 24 pages | Teen+ | $3.99

Eisner Award winning writer Kelly Thompson (Black Cloak, Captain Marvel) and superstar artist Mattia De Iulis (Captain America) team up for their first creator-owned work together in the upcoming horror/coming-of-age story The Cull. 

"When Mattia reached out to partner on something creator-owned together, I was over the moon," said Thompson. "What we came up with for The Cull is both horrifying and delightful, and of course stunningly gorgeous thanks to Mattia's mind-blowing visuals."

Something is Killing the Children horror vibes mix with The Goonies-style adventure as five friends set off to shoot a short film on a forbidden rock near their home the summer before they all go their separate ways. But that’s not really why they’re there. One of them has lied … and it’s a lie that will change their lives forever.

Mattia De Iulis added: "I made my debut as a comic book artist with Kelly (on Jessica Jones), and I can't believe I'm here now after five years working on the most beautiful project I could ever imagine! The Cull grabbed me inside from the first pages, horror and mystery come together to create a fantastic adventure!"

11130050474?profile=RESIZE_710x

11130050661?profile=RESIZE_710x

11130050501?profile=RESIZE_710x11130050863?profile=RESIZE_710x11130050686?profile=RESIZE_710x11130051256?profile=RESIZE_710x11130051281?profile=RESIZE_180x180

VOID RIVALS #3

12175329499?profile=RESIZE_400x

Cover: Lorenzo De Felici | Variants: James Harren, Minemiko Mali, Karen S. Darboe, Taurin Clarke

Today Skybound, in partnership with toy and game company Hasbro, revealed a first look at Void Rivals #3, the continuation of the new shared universe from the Oblivion Song team of Robert Kirkman (Invincible, The Walking Dead) and Lorenzo De Felici (Kroma), along with colorist Matheus Lopes (Step by Bloody Step) and letterer Rus Wooton (Fire Power). 

Fighting for their lives to return to their warring home, Darak and Solila face a new threat — capture! Will the pair deliver their planet-shattering truth, or will they forever be lost to the cold grasp of space? Plus, a face from the Transformers mythology makes their first appearance, setting the stage for what’s to come.

The all-new shared “Energon Universe” began with the surprise first appearance of iconic Transformers character Jetfire in Void Rivals #1. The launch introduced the historic new partnership Hasbro and Skybound, with Transformers and G.I. Joe comics finding a new home with the publisher. Each issue of Void Rivals promises to take readers further into this all-new world, with more familiar faces to appear. 

The end of Void Rivals #1 revealed that Transformers  and G.I. Joe inhabit a shared universe. That continued through issue #2 and now into issue #3. As you might expect, the shared universe will have more than this single title, and will expand into Transformers, Duke and Cobra Commander (see below). The venerable G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero will return with issue #301 in November, with Larry Hama still in the writer's chair.

12175331459?profile=RESIZE_180x18012175331674?profile=RESIZE_180x18012175331484?profile=RESIZE_180x18012175331292?profile=RESIZE_180x180

12175335664?profile=RESIZE_180x18012175335852?profile=RESIZE_180x18012175335685?profile=RESIZE_180x180

ENERGON UNIVERSE

12178427493?profile=RESIZE_400x12175329084?profile=RESIZE_400x12175330698?profile=RESIZE_400xWelcome to the Energon Universe. In the far reaches of space, Void Rivals introduces two warring races fight on a new planet and a hero rises. At the same time, the Transformers robots awaken on Earth. But will the heroic Autobots save the world, or will the evil Decepticons doom the planet? The Robots in Disguise are back, in an all-new shared universe like never before. But their return is only half the battle. The Energon Universe blasts off in the exhilarating new trailer that can be viewed right here.

The shocking conclusion to Robert Kirkman and Lorenzo De Felici’s Void Rivals #1 served as the kickoff to the all-new shared Energon Universe with the surprise first appearance of iconic Transformers character Jetfire. The stealth launch introduced the historic new partnership between Hasbro and Skybound, with Transformers and G.I. Joe comics finding a new home with the publisher.

In Void Rivals, war rages around the Sacred Ring, where the last remnants of two worlds have collapsed around a black hole in a never-ending war. However, when pilot Darak and his rival Solila both crash on a desolate planet, these two enemies must find a way to escape together. But are they alone on this strange planet? And what dark forces await that threaten the entire universe? After the jaw-dropping reveal in the debut issue, everything Darak and Solila thought they knew about the Sacred Ring’s never-ending war has changed. To deliver the truth back home, they must first get off this deadly planet—by any means necessary.

Transformers #1 begins an all-new era for the iconic Robots in Disguise from Daniel Warren Johnson (Extremity, Do a Powerbomb, DC’s Wonder Woman: Dead Earth) and colorist Mike Spicer (Stillwater, Murder Falcon). Optimus Prime was supposed to have led the Autobots to victory. Instead, the fate of Cybertron is unknown, and his allies have crash-landed far from home, alongside their enemies — the Decepticons. As these titanic forces renew their war on Earth, one thing is immediately clear: the planet will never be the same. New alliances are struck. Battle lines are redrawn. And humanity’s only hope for survival is Optimus Prime.

The Energon Universe expands in December with Duke #1, a limited series from Joshua Williamson (DC’s Superman, Dark Ride), Tom Reilly (The Thing) and Jordie Bellaire (W0rldtr33), that tells the story you’ve never read before — the origins of G.I. Joe and Cobra in a world grappling with the arrival of the Autobots and Decepticons. When Conrad S. Hauser (codename DUKE) investigates the mysteries behind The Transformers, the answers will lead to the birth of forces for good and evil that the world never imagined.

This will be followed by the launch of Cobra Commander #1 in January 2024, from Joshua Williamson, Andrea Milana (Impact Winter: Rook) and Annalisa Leoni (Oblivion Song). In a world where Cobra doesn’t exist, one man’s sinister plans to utilize the mysterious alien substance known as Energon will send shockwaves across the globe.

IDW PUBLISHING

Three first issues lead IDW this week.

DARK SPACES: HOLLYWOOD SPECIAL #1

12183906075?profile=RESIZE_400x12183906083?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story: Jeremy Lambert | Art/Cover: Claire Roe | $3.99

All aboard The Hollywood Special, the 1942 luxury train touring the United States to support the war effort. On board is fading star Vivian Drake, doing her part to boost morale and finally give the tabloids something other than her nose-diving career and shambles of a family life to write about. But when the Special pulls into the coal-mining town of Minersville, PA, amid the collapse of a mine, Vivian finds herself facing every failure and bad memory she's bottled up in the form of what the miners found in the dark-the thing they call the Mismatch Man, who feeds on pain and regret.

• This appears to be a one-shot, and unrelated to the other Dark Spaces stories. I really like art that apes the styles of the '30s and '40s, like that variant cover.

GODZILLA: WAR FOR HUMANITY #1

12183908093?profile=RESIZE_400x12183907493?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story/Cover: Andrew MacLean | Art: Jake Smith | $4.99

"Godzilla saved us that day." When Dr. Yuko Honda was young, she was chased by Hedorah, the smog monster, and thought it was all over ... until Godzilla saved her! Now a respected professor and writer, she's dedicated her life to showing that while Godzilla may be a monster, that doesn't mean it and the other kaiju are enemies. Unfortunately, when a strange new monster emerges, her belief in the good of Godzilla will be put to the test. If Godzilla doesn't defend them, what can humanity do against the might of Zoospora?

• IDW's Godzilla books are aimed at kids, but I think some adults could enjoy them.

TMNT: SPLINTERED FATE #1

12183907059?profile=RESIZE_400x12183906689?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story: Henry Barajas | Art/Cover: Pablo Verdugo | $3.99

When Splinter is kidnapped, the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles search for clues across NYC to try to find their master. With all signs pointing to the nefarious Foot Clan, April and Metalhead analyze artifacts recovered by the brothers to help zero in on where Splinter is being held. However, as the gang gets ever closer to Splinter's location, they start to uncover an even greater threat working from the shadows!

• TMNT is also for kids, by and large. But IDW is obviously attempting to expand the franchise's appeal, with the "Last Ronin" books, which are aimed at adults.

DYNAMITE ENTERTAINMENT

Dynamite this week offers a new Disney Villains title, an original graphic novel and a James Bond collection.

DISNEY VILLAINS: HADES #1

12178443659?profile=RESIZE_400xStory: Elliott Kalan | Art: Alessandro Ranaldi | Cover: Karen Darboe | $3.99

FROM THE CLASSIC DISNEY FILM HERCULES - THE LORD OF THE UNDERWORLD FINALLY TAKES CENTER STAGE!

Hades — the lord of darkness! The most deceitful and scheming of the Greek gods!

The one god not invited to the weekly brunch at Mount Olympus!

Obviously, a slight like this calls for the total destruction of the gods of Olympus. To make that happen, the hot-tempered ruler of the underworld needs to acquire the magical Golden Fleece of Colchis. Unfortunately, the Fleece is guarded by a sleepless dragon and soldiers made out of teeth, so Hades assembles a ragtag group of morally questionable adventurers to help him steal the Fleece before some dude named Jason and his Argonaut bros swoop in and ruin his perfectly logical plan. It's absolute chaotic hilarity courtesy of writer ELLIOTT KALAN (Spider-Man & The X-Men) and artist ALESSANDRO RANALDI (Zorro)!

• He sort of looks like The Joker, doesn't he? Or a Joker fish, at least.

DYING LIGHT GN

12178444654?profile=RESIZE_400xStory: Fred Van Lente | Art/Cover: Adam Markiewicz | $19.99

With a lengthy original graphic novel tale serving as a prequel to Dying Light 2 and bonus behind the scenes content from the smash hit video game, Dying Light: Night Generation is an essential companion for fans of the franchise.

Set right before the start of the new game, and 15 years following the events of Dying Light, the story stars orphans Daud and Aisha. They were just children when the Harran Virus outbreak struck the world, and have known nothing other than the plague for their entire lives. Evacuated and found by Berg, they were trained to become Night Runners, to work together and steal for him as his influence grows among the Survivors. Reaching young adulthood, Daud and Aisha are finally sick of living under his thumb, hatching plans to run away together. When the secrets are discovered, Berg sells off Aisha to a rival. Forcing Daud on a harrowing journey to rescue his love, through the deadly Volatiles and utilizing the game's signature parkour.

Writer Fred Van Lente is the perfect match for this official story, having penned hit comics such as Marvel Zombies and DIE!namite, joined by artist Adam Markiewicz. As they chronicle a thrilling and touching tale within the world that 17 million players have run, jumped, and fought their way through.

• I got as far as "video game" and knew I was out of my depth, so I have nothing further to say. Here it is, for those who are into the game.

JAMES BOND: AGENT OF SPECTRE HC

12187449663?profile=RESIZE_400xStory: Christos Gage | Art: Luca Casalanguida | Cover: Sean Phillips | $24.99

There's a civil war brewing within SPECTRE. An upstart American member of the international criminal organization is attempting a coup, threatening to depose Ernst Stavro Blofeld. She's on guard against Blofeld's men, so to take her out, Blofeld recruits a wild card — James Bond! With Blofeld threatening the life of Bond's friend Felix Leiter as leverage, Bond agrees ... but he has a plan to use this internal strife to bring SPECTRE down once and for all. Will he succeed, or is this a dark path from which even 007 can't return?

Collecting James Bond: Agent of SPECTRE #1-5.

• I've been trade-waiting this. So far the best of Dynamite's James Bond graphic novels remain the first two, those written by Warren Ellis (VARGR and Eidolon). The rest vary in quality, and there have been a few clunkers. But I get each new one as it comes out, hoping they're at least as good as the books (and often they are better).

MORE ITEMS OF INTEREST

BLADE IN THE DARK #1

12144156067?profile=RESIZE_400xStory/Letters: Morgan Quaid |  Art/Cover: Willi Roberts | Cover: Emanuel Ercolani | Editor | Andrea Lorenzo Molinari | Scout | $4.99

A young samurai must face demons, cultists, and rogue gods to avenge his family’s murder.

Watching as his childhood home is burnt to the ground, Rook of the Hidden Song strikes out to seek vengeance upon the masked bandits who destroyed his village. Along the path he is met by a monstrous foe masquerading as a farmer and must fight for his life in order to seek the answers his conscience demands.

“I’m so excited to be partnering with Scout with the A Blade in the Dark! Their editorial guidance and publishing support has been invaluable, helping us take an initial concept to a fully-fledged series with an amazing final product. Can’t wait to get them into readers hands!” — Morgan Quaid

• I'm not sure what this is, but Scout sent this lovely preview to educate me.

12144156078?profile=RESIZE_710x12144156454?profile=RESIZE_710x12144156095?profile=RESIZE_710x12144156475?profile=RESIZE_710x12144156669?profile=RESIZE_710x12144156283?profile=RESIZE_710x12144156496?profile=RESIZE_710x12144156856?profile=RESIZE_710x12144156699?profile=RESIZE_180x180

BLOODY PARTS #1

12183913855?profile=RESIZE_400xStory: Konstantine Paradias, James Kuhoric | Art: Ev Cantada | Cover: Roy Allen Martinez | American Mythology | Mature | $3.99

Did you ever want to change everything about you?  Quinn is the perfect subject: unhappy with their body's limitations, addicted to prosthetics. They would do anything to become perfect ... and Doctor Torossian, head of Trabeal's Project CHANGELING, is about to oblige. So, get ready for a bloody tale of sci-fi-themed carnage and cybernetically assisted psychosis, in full living color!  This incredible story is about to open up into a whole new world when the long-lost hero Agent '79 is called out of retirement to try to stop Quinn's rampage.  It's old school vs new school when an obsolete relic has to stop a cutting-edge nightmare!  "Parts" was originally serialized in American Mythology Monsters. This issue is fully colored for the first time and includes a brand-new chapter!

• This looks gross enough to be interesting. Well, if you're into gross. Twelve-year-old me sure was.

CHILLING ADVENTURES PRESENTS … STRANGE SCIENCE (ONE-SHOT)

12161975674?profile=RESIZE_400x12161975858?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story: Magdalene Visaggio | Art: Butch Mapa  | Colors: Ellie Wright | Letters: Jack Morelli | Cover: Butch Mapa & Ellie Wright | Variant: Skylar Patridge | $3.99

Danni Malloy is Jinx Holliday’s best friend, and where one goes, the other is sure to follow … even if that means through hell and back and forth through the depths of space and time. When Danni receives a mysterious message from former friend Dilton Doiley, Danni is horrified to learn that he’s built a time machine and it’s gone terribly wrong — and now the three of them have been transported to warped version of Riverdale, where nothing seems quite right. It’s up to Danni to set things right and bring them back to the present day, and the hometown they know and love … and she might have to explain a thing or two to Jinx about what’s going on, too! STRANGE SCIENCE explores Danni’s personal history, time travel and the importance of being to be true to yourself and what matters most to you.

With a string of top-selling comics establishing Jinx Holliday as the latest star of the Archie Horror imprint from Archie Comics, supporting character Danni Malloy will be next to take center stage. The duo embarks on a new terrifying adventure in CHILLING ADVENTURES PRESENTS ... STRANGE SCIENCE.

Writer Magdalene Visaggio (Eternity Girl) — whose run on a modern update of the classic character Li'l Jinx began with the instant sell-out anthology JINX: GRIM FAIRY TALES last fall — teams with artist Butch Mapa (Star Wars) for this latest entry, a turn towards dark sci-fi. In a story about being true to yourself and what matters most to you, STRANGE SCIENCE will also reveal that Danni is transgender.

"I've been wanting to make this happen for a long time, and it's really cool to see it finally come to fruition," Visaggio said. "I never wanted Danni's trans identity to be gimmicky, or for her to feel like she was only created to be trans. So, I'd like to apologize for sneaking her over the line like this! I wanted you to have a chance to fall in love with her for who she is, not what she is. I'm honored I got to make it happen, and I'm grateful to Archie for never, not even once, pushing back on my insistence on making their books a little bit more queer. I hope Danni finds a good home at Archie with supportive writers and artists helping to keep her alive for years to come."

The new one-shot takes its title from the 1989 comic book series DILTON'S STRANGE SCIENCE, which introduced Danni, a science genius who rivaled tech expert Dilton Doiley's prodigious talent. In Visaggio's story, Danni has left that life behind to become an artist and musician, exposing her to criticism from Dilton as the teens try to save themselves from a bizarre time travel accident.

"STRANGE SCIENCE is one of, if not the, most important one-shots we've released to date. It also showcases how versatile horror can be, as it deftly blends sci-fi with horror and tells a beautiful, poignant tale about confronting the past," said Archie Comics Senior Director of Editorial Jamie L. Rotante. "That’s all thanks to writer Magdalene Visaggio, who had the idea to have Danni Malloy tell her own story about her transition. We just needed to figure out the best way to make it fit, and a callback to her character's classic origins mixed with the new horror surroundings she's been re-introduced in just made the most sense."

Mapa added, "Magdalene wrote a story that is vital and poignant and brilliant at the same time, while also being a fantastic piece of horror/sci-fi. Expect lots of weirdness, emotion, action and character."

Danni's first appearance in the modern Archie Horror universe was THE CURSED LIBRARY, a one-shot released on Free Comic Book Day earlier this month, and she reappears alongside Jinx in their first full-length solo adventure this week in JINX: A CURSED LIFE, both with art by Craig Cermak (Red Team). The sequence subtly establishes linked continuity in Archie Horror for the first time with references to events in other titles, and serves as a starting point for all horror fans looking for a new storytelling universe to explore.

"I think it's clear to anyone reading this that there is a ton of passion and heart in this story, which was demonstrated on every script page," Rotante said. "I'm so proud of this book, but moreover, it's an honor to help bring this beautiful story to life, and I'm consistently awed by the amazing talent I have the opportunity to work with."

• The main Archie characters, by virtue of when they were created, are all white and straight. But give Archie credit for adding Black kids, Latin kids, gay kids and now a trans kid. It's not today, but someday Riverdale may look like the rest of 21st century America. In fact, I expect the next reboot to mix up the central four, like on the TV show, where Veronica is Hispanic and Reggie is Asian American. They've already gone pretty far with that idea on the Velma TV show, where the Scooby-Doo gang is re-imagined to include an African American (Shaggy), an East Asian American (Daphne) and a bisexual South Asian American (Velma).

12161976061?profile=RESIZE_180x18012161975699?profile=RESIZE_180x18012161976260?profile=RESIZE_180x18012161976282?profile=RESIZE_180x180

THE FIRST ADVENTURES OF SHERLOCK HOLMES: A STUDY IN SCARLET HC

12183916096?profile=RESIZE_400xStory: Arthur Conan Doyle | Art/Cover: Vincent Mallie | Magnetic Press | $24.99

London, 1878. Poor Dr Watson returns from India completely penniless and on the verge of despair when he meets Sherlock Holmes, a whimsical guy who also happens to be looking for a roommate. The pair move into 221 Baker Street when one of Scotland Yard's top sleuths enlists the talented Detective Holmes to help solve a dark murder case. Together, Watson and Holmes will lead the investigation and cement a partnership that will last for years to come.

This brand new edition of the first Sherlock Holmes novel is beautifully illustrated by artist Vincent Mallie, capturing the joyful style of an animated feature as if created by renowned director Hayao Miyazaki.

• I love Sherlock Holmes, and would welcome some serious graphic adaptations. But "joyful style of an animated feature" is pretty much the opposite of what I want.

IN SEARCH OF GIL SCOTT-HERON 

11455845057?profile=RESIZE_400x

Story: Thomas Mauceri | Art/Cover: Seb Piquet | Titan Comics | 232 pages | $29.99

Titan Comics is proud to announce that it will be publishing IN SEARCH OF GIL SCOTT-HERON, written by documentarian Thomas Mauceri, with art from Sébastien Piquet. Published for the first time in English, this graphic novel will be on sale in July 2023, to coincide with celebrations for hip hop’s official 50th birthday.

Singer, poet and writer, and widely considered to be the "Godfather of Rap," Gil Scott-Heron is a legend of the Afro-American music scene, responsible for groundbreaking hits such as “The Revolution Will Not Be Televised” and “The Bottle”. Through his own personal journey, writer Thomas Maucéri discovers what drove Scott-Heron’s initial success, his ignoble downfall, and ultimately triumph return, alongside exploring the complex past and present of the America that created this singular visionary.IN SEARCH OF GIL SCOTT-HERON follows Maucéri as he attempts to track down the elusive Scott-Heron for an interview that never seems to happen, and in the process examines the music, controversies, and the political and cultural legacy that he created.

Coupled with Sébastien Piquet’s striking art, IN SEARCH OF GIL SCOTT-HERON’s fascinating story provides a unique insight into key events surrounding Gil Scott-Heron, that continued to resonate even after his death.

The release of IN SEARCH OF GIL SCOTT-HERON coincides with the 50th anniversary of hip hop and will include a bonus essay celebrating Gil Scott-Heron's career and enduring influence on today’s music.

• I didn't hear rap or hip-hop until the '80s in Tennessee. Just too white, I guess. Anyway, I was too old by then to care about pop music, and still am. YMMV.

10998773095?profile=RESIZE_710x10998773668?profile=RESIZE_710x10998773858?profile=RESIZE_180x180

MEZKAL HC

12183918068?profile=RESIZE_400xStory: Kevan Stevens | Art/Cover: Jef | Magnetic Press | Mature | $29.99

Vananka Darmont's life has sucked since his Indian father stuck him with such a weird name before disappearing. When he comes home from his soul-draining job to find his mother dead from an overdose, he decides to abandon the $31k in debt she left him to find a new life in Mexico. But trouble follows him like a shadow, and he soon finds himself wrapped up in a world of drug smugglers, white supremacists, and federal agents. In the middle of all that, however, is perhaps the one good thing ever introduced to his life: Leila. And when she's kidnapped, rescuing her becomes his single purpose.

• Who among us hasn't dreamed of running off to Mexico before a tough math test or after a bad break-up? But most of us have the common sense to realize that life in another country would would be even more difficult, if not dangerous. Our hero here is living out that lesson for us!

NEW REALITIES GN

12183921290?profile=RESIZE_400xStory: Greg Hunter | Art: Dash Shaw | Uncivilized Books | $24.95

Dash Shaw is one of the most restless cartoonists of recent decades, constantly evolving in how he approaches the comics page. In the years since his breakthrough graphic novel Bottomless Belly Button, he has continued to create acclaimed, idiosyncratic comics, varying his uses of line and color as well as shifting from domestic realism to sci-fi farce to historical fiction. But some concerns in Shaw's work remain constant. In New Realities, critic Greg Hunter (The Comics Journal) follows the through-line across this adventurous body of work.

• The Comics Journal likes this, so it's probably high-brow funnies.

ORSON WELLES: WARRIOR OF WORLDS #1

12183923299?profile=RESIZE_400x12183923088?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story: Milton Lawson | Art/Cover: Erik Whalen | Scout Comics | $4.99

NONSTOP. You've seen Orson Welles direct the greatest films of all time. You've heard his thunderous voice on the radio pulling off the infamous prank "War of the Worlds" broadcast. But now, for the first time ever, the truth is finally revealed: the broadcast was real! Welles lived a secret double life as a filmmaker by day, interstellar warrior by night. Buckle up for mind-blowing adventures as Orson fights in the Great Galactic War, travels through dimensional portals, and faces the ultimate threat to the Milky Way.

• The hardest part of this to believe is that Orson Welles was ever that fit.

RARE FLAVOURS ASHCAN EDITION

12178446273?profile=RESIZE_400xStory: V. Ram | Art/Cover: Filipe Andrade | BOOM | $2.99

The Eisner, Harvey, and Ringo Award-nominated team of Ram V and Filipe Andrade make their celebrated return, and you can get a first taste in this exclusive ashcan edition!

Tantalize your senses with this amuse bouche introducing this creative duo's next masterpiece marrying the supernatural, Indian cuisine, and the cutthroat world of chef-driven celebrity in what will be the most talked about new comic of 2023!

This ashcan will be strictly limited to its first printing, never to be printed again!

• The six-issue miniseries will launch in September.

RED ZONE TP

12183924682?profile=RESIZE_400xStory: Cullen Bunn | Art/Cover: Mike Deodato | Cover: Lee Loughridge | AWA | Mature | $9.99

Called in by the U.S. government for a secret international mission to Russia, unassuming American professor of Russian and Slavic Studies at NYU Randall Crane finds his history in the Soviet Union begin to thaw and reveal itself. When the team of commandos sent to protect him end up dead, Randall finds himself forced to fight his way out of the former U.S.S.R. using skills he thought he'd left dead and buried in the cold, hard streets of the Mother Russia a lifetime ago.

"Readers who enjoy espionage tales will find a lot to enjoy here. The real star ... is the art." -Comics Beat

"RED ZONE ... hits all the beats and then some for a story of this nature. It's executing the form exceptionally well." — Multiversity Comics

• Bunn & Deodata seems like a formidable team.

SHADOWS OF THULE HC (MR)

12183925857?profile=RESIZE_400xStory: Patrick Mallet | Art/Cover: Lionel Marty | Humanoids | Mature | $27.99

Scotland, 2nd century AD. A Roman general, manipulated by a necromancer, awakens an ancient plague in an attempt to conquer the people of the north. In a desperate bid for survival, the last king of the Picts must unit his tribes and their enemies to fight the dreadful Shadows of Thule.

• I don't know much about Roman interaction with the Scots. I'm not going to learn any history here, of course, but I don't in most of the fiction I consume about the Roman era, where they're usually fighting Germans. Could be fun.

UFO: THE CLOSEST ENCOUNTER GN

12183928291?profile=RESIZE_400xStory: Martin Powell | Art/Cover: Jason Gleaves | Moonstone | $13.99

On October 11, 1973, nineteen-year-old Calvin Parker and his friend Charles Hickson experienced a terrifying close encounter with an Unidentified Flying Object — and its unearthly crew — that changed their lives forever. The bizarre incident has since become the best-documented "alien abduction" account on record. This graphic novel, a visually-stunning adaptation of Calvin's own book of the event, is produced with his personal participation and approval. Introduction by Calvin Parker and Philip Mantle.

• How come these aliens are always probing us? Buncha pervs.

WASHINGTON’S GAY GENERAL HC

12183932682?profile=RESIZE_400xStory: Josh Trujillo | Art: Levi Hastings | Abrams ComicArts | Mature | $24.99

This graphic novel biography tells the true story of one of the most important, but largely forgotten, military leaders of the American Revolution, Baron Wilhelm Von Steuben, who brought much-needed knowledge to the inexperienced and ill-prepared Continental Army. As its first Inspector General, Von Steuben created an organizational framework for the U.S. military, which included writing the Blue Book guide that became the standard for training American soldiers for more than a century. Beginning with Von Steuben's career in the Prussian Army, Trujillo explores his recruitment by Benjamin Franklin, his work alongside General George Washington at the Battle of Valley Forge, and his eventual decline into obscurity. In Washington's Gay General, Trujillo and Hastings impart both the intricacies of queer history and the importance of telling stories that highlight queer experiences.

• Von Steuben was gay? They didn't mention that in American History class in 1973!

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• "I never thought Alpha Flight lived up to its potential."

Agreed.

"...a robot named Elsie-Dee"

Sounds like a rapper.

"Of course, YMMV."

It doesn't.

"I don't fool myself that all of the "bad days" that helped create Batman's villains will be of Killing Joke quality."

What if it was all the same bad day: June 4, 2007, say?

"...male children were given to Hephaestus as slaves immediately after birth."

I didn't know that; I didn't need to know that. Somebody didn't think that through.

"But "joyful style of an animated feature" is pretty much the opposite of what I want."

Again: Somebody didn't think that through.

"I don't know much about Roman interaction with the Scots. I'm not going to learn any history here"

Try Prince Valiant.

Nothing of interest to me this week...

...except I did see AHOY's Second Coming: Trinity #5 on the complete list.

Also, I'm down for the MMW Hulk.

I'm curious about the Immortal Hulk Omnibus (for you). You had been tradewaiting. Is this closer to the top of the pile or the bottom?

• "Look at me, i'm Elsie-Dee, want no part of humanity..."

I like the Voices books, they're like little samplers where I can read about chracters from books that I would never want to read on a regular basis.

• Azazel is Nightcrawler's biological father.  Also a demon.  It goes back to stories from the time during or just after Grant Morrison's run.  He was last seen, I think, in the aftermath of Nightcrawler's ressurrection in the most recent volume of Amazing X-Men.

This Fang is Daken, one of Wolverine's sons and one of several imitations.

He and Aurora bonded at the latest, lamented interaction of X-Factor.

In other potentially exciting piece of news, Tom Brevoort will take over the X-Editorial, probably next year.

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/tom-brevoort-has-been-put-in-charge...

Tom Brevoort Has Been Put In Charge Of The X-Men At Marvel
    Executive Editor and Senior Vice President of Publishing at Marvel, Tom Brevoort is to take charge of the X-Men at Marvel from 2024
  • Try Prince Valiant.

Will I learn close-to-truth history there? I haven't gotten far into it.

Also, I'm down for the MMW Hulk.

Me, too. Strangely, it did not appear in this week's InStockTrades. 

I'm curious about the Immortal Hulk Omnibus (for you). You had been tradewaiting. Is this closer to the top of the pile or the bottom?

I'm in the middle of Jason Aaron's Thor (approaching War of the Realms) and I'll probably read Hulk after. Or Avengers, if Thor leads directly there. But it's definitely top 3!

I like the Voices books, they're like little samplers where I can read about chracters from books that I would never want to read on a regular basis.

Then they serve their purpose. I'm glad you enjoy them.

Azazel is Nightcrawler's biological father.  Also a demon.  It goes back to stories from the time during or just after Grant Morrison's run.  He was last seen, I think, in the aftermath of Nightcrawler's ressurrection in the most recent volume of Amazing X-Men.

Mystique had sex with a demon? And a male one at that? Shocking!

This Fang is Daken, one of Wolverine's sons and one of several imitations.

Oh! I was thinking of the Shi'Ar guy. I remember Daken and Aurora hooking up.

He and Aurora bonded at the latest, lamented interaction of X-Factor.

I must have been reading X-books at the time. I thought it was weird, because they're both so damaged. But maybe that's the attraction.

In other potentially exciting piece of news, Tom Brevoort will take over the X-Editorial, probably next year.

How do you feel about that? Honestly, I have no idea what it will mean.

• In other potentially exciting piece of news, Tom Brevoort will take over the X-Editorial, probably next year.

How do you feel about that? Honestly, I have no idea what it will mean.

Apparently there are many who disagree, but I will always associate Brevoort to the recovery of Avengers circa 1998.  It was borderline miraculous.

So I am optimistic.  It was pointed out that he also was around at the time of the awful Bendis period.  I guess I assume that he was lacking autonomy at the time.

• "Will I learn close-to-truth history there?"

Yes, I think you will learn close-to-truth history from Prince Valiant. By the time of the strip, the Roman interraction with the Scots (which sparked this discussion) was already a thing of the past, but its aftermath is dealt with in more than one story. [The Romans ruled Briton from AD 43 to circa 400, and the strip begins circa AD 439.] Hal Foster kept a consistent timeline throughout his tenure on the strip, but after his retirement a strict adherance to the timeline was no longer maintained. The strip's internal timeline is based on historical events mentioned in the strip and on mentions of the passage of time and seasons in the stories. The Sack of Rome in AD 455 (pp.465-484, Jan-May 1946) is the base reference point. Sources such as The Definitive Prince Valiant Companion (the one I use), point out where the story diverges from historical record. For example, in "The Quest for the Holy Grail" (which takes place circa AD 465-470 according to the timeline), Val meets St. Patrick, yet historically St. Patrick died in 461.

• "WHAT IF MOON KNIGHT DID NOT SURVIVE HIS BATTLE WITH BUSHMAN?" Something ironic, if previous What Ifs are any indication.  

I bought the recent Loki and Gwen Stacy "Dark What If" books, but I'm undecided on this one. I'm not a big Moon Knight fan.

This reply was deleted.