EVE: CHILDREN OF THE MOON #5 (OF 5)

GRIM #8

HOUSE OF SLAUGHTER #12

MIGHTY MORPHIN POWER RANGERS #105

MOSELY #2 (OF 5)

VAMPIRE SLAYER (BUFFY) #11

DARK HORSE COMICS

CONFABULATION: AN ANECDOTAL AUTOBIOGRAPHY HC

Dark Horse Books is proud to present Dave Gibbons’ Confabulation: An Anecdotal Autobiography! This comprehensive, in-depth, and personal journey through the eyes of one of the world’s most famous comics creators spans his earliest years copying Superman and Batman comics as a kid, to co-creating the bestselling graphic novel of all-time, Watchmen and beyond.     

Presented alphabetically, with informally written anecdotes that can be read from cover-to-cover or simply dipped into, Gibbons reveals unseen comics’ pitches, life as the first Comics Laureate, adventures in advertising and album cover design, and his journey from fanzine artist to infiltrating DC Comics in the 1970s. This book covers everything from his work on Doctor Who and meeting Tom Baker to his induction into the Eisner Hall of Fame. Gibbons also discusses, for the first time anywhere, the end of his relationship with fellow Watchmen co-creator Alan Moore. Packed with over 300 iconic, rarely seen, and unpublished art pieces and photographs, Confabulation: An Anecdotal Autobiography not only entertains, but peels back the layers of a fascinating career in comics.

Confabulation: An Anecdotal Autobiography hardcover will retail for $39.99.

MASTERS OF UNIVERSE MASTERVERSE #1

Masters of the Universe returns in a new anthology comic series in the Revelation universe, Masters of the Universe: Masterverse! The first issue is written by Tim Seeley (Injustice vs. Masters of the Universe, Masters of the Multiverse), with art by Eddie Nuñez, Sergio Aragonés and Kelley Jones, and color by Rico Renzi and Brennan Wagner and it will also feature a variant cover by Mike Mignola and Dave Stewart! E.J. Su, Victor Santos, David Rubín, Claudia Balboni, Daniel Lopez, and Fico Ossio will have art in subsequent issues. 

In the depths of Castle Grayskull, The Sorceress and Zodac debate the value of He-Man. To save the life of her champion, the Sorceress must take the Cosmic Enforcer on a tour of the multiverse. First, a tour across a world where a dim, barbaric He-Man bumbles through a world of annoying warrior goddesses and bored demons as he's pursued by a hungry green tiger in a tale drawn by the legendary Sergio Aragonés (Groo the Wanderer, Mad Magazine)! Then, a stop in an Eternia where the power of Grayskull summons an entirely different warrior in a horrific ghost story illustrated by Kelley Jones! Written by MotU alumni Tim Seeley (Injustice vs. Masters of the Universe, Masters of the Multiverse) with a framing story by Eddie Nuñez, this is an anthology series not to be missed! 

Praise for He-Man & Masters of the Multiverse by Tim Seeley:

“Whether you’re a fan of all things He-Man or only have love for the '80s Filmation cartoon, the inside baseball nature of the story doesn’t flaunt its knowledge in the reader’s face to prove a point. It uses that information to craft an exciting story that all MOTU fans will thoroughly enjoy.” — Forces of Geek

Masters of the Multiverse #1 is a sharply written and skillfully drawn return to the world of He-Man, with plenty of new twists and old references.” — Monkeys Fighting Robots

“If you've never been a He-Man fan, this is the book for you. You can learn all about the different versions of the property and pick the one you like, and go from there. If you're a hardcore fan, it's an absolute thrill to see the different versions of Masters interacting with each other. Bottom line: This is a great comic.” — Comic Watch

“This is a fun, engaging adventure that doesn’t get bogged down in treating the iterations of He-Man with kid gloves.” — Super Powered Fancast

• He-Man was never really my jam, but there are some pretty big names attached to this book, like Sergio Aragonés, Kelley Jones and Mike Mignola. Mike Mignola? On He-Man? Good grief!

PLANTS VS ZOMBIES: FAULTY FABLES HC

RESIDENT ALIEN: BOOK OF LOVE #4 (OF 4)

WHITE SAVIOR #2 (OF 4)

DC COMICS

AQUAMAN: 80 YEARS OF THE KING OF THE SEVEN SEAS DELUXE EDITION HC

• DC doesn't say exactly what's in this book, and there have been similar such projects in the past that are already on my bookshelf. But I'll probably pick this up in the hopes of some '40s and '50s stories that haven't been reprinted before. I assume that, like the Green Arrow backup stories of the same period, that the Aquaman backup stories were shallow (heh) and repetitive. But the completist in me still wants to read them. 

BATGIRLS #15

• Batgirls alert!

BATMAN AND SCOOBY-DOO MYSTERIES #5

BATMAN BEYOND NEO-YEAR TP

BATMAN: THE WHITE KNIGHT #8 (OF 8)

BATMAN INCORPORATED #5

BATMAN: THE ADVENTURES CONTINUE SEASON 3 #2 (OF 7)

BATMAN: THE DARK DETECTIVE VOL 7 TP

DANGER STREET #3 (OF 12)

• The more covers I see for this series the more enthusiastic I am about reading it. I'm tradewaiting, alas, so I've months and months to go.

I AM BATMAN #18

ICON VS. HARDWARE #1 (OF 5)

Story: Reginald Hudlin, Leon Chills | Cover: Rahzzah | $4.99

Two titans of the Milestone Universe clash — and in the process, set in motion a chain of events leading to a story bigger than you could ever imagine! When Hardware discovers a long-suppressed time machine hidden in a government warehouse, his obsession with righting the wrongs of the past — those of both American history and his own tragic family — will unravel the fabric of time for the Milestone Universe. But while there are many problems with Hardware's plan, there's one big one: wherever he goes in America's last two centuries, Icon is there, having lived through it! And a man as powerful as Icon knows the profound danger of the forces Curtis Metcalf is unleashing...and he'll do whatever it takes to put the genie back in the bottle! Icon Vs Hardware is the official kickoff of Act One of Milestone's WORLDS COLLIDE event—and if you think you know what that phrase means, you'd better not get overconfident! This is the ideal jumping-on point for those who've sat out the story of Dakota so far, because this ride is headed somewhere unexpected!

• Milestone alert!
  • But do they really have to fight? I don't want them to fight.

LAZARUS PLANET: DARK FATE #1 ONE-SHOT

Story/Art: Various | Cover: David Marquez, Alejandro Sanchez | $4.99

NEW THREATS WILL RISE! Written by Tim Seeley, Joshua Williamson, Dennis Culver, A.L. Kaplan, and Alyssa Wong Art by Baldemar Rivas, Chris Burnham, A.L. Kaplan, and Haining When the Lazarus storm touches down, people from every walk of life stand to be affected. People who are kind, people who are good...and people who are evil. This epic issue will spotlight the many disastrous new villains created by the Lazarus event and the heroes who stand ready to stop them from doing harm to others! What sinister threat brings a new chapter to the Doom Patrol saga? Can a new hero channel the inexorable Still Force energy to fend off evil? What lurks in the corners of the Spirit World for new character Xanthe? And what early clue to the new direction in Arkham Tower will spell disaster for Gotham City?

• Where have I seen that cover at bottom left before? I want to say Spectre or House of Mystery.

MAD MAGAZINE #30

SANDMAN BOOK 5 TP

SWAMP THING: GREEN HELL #2 (OF 3)

WILDCATS #4

WONDER WOMAN VOL 3: THE VILLAINY OF OUR YEARS TP

DYNAMITE ENTERTAINMENT

CHERISH #4

RED SONJA HELL SONJA #3

IDW PUBLISHING

STAR TREK RESURGENCE #4

TMNT ARMAGEDDON GAME #5

TMNT ARMAGEDDON GAME: OPENING MOVES TP

TMNT ONGOING #137

IMAGE COMICS

3KEYS #5 (OF 5)

ART BRUT #3 (OF 4)

ASTRO CITY METROBOOK VOL 3 TP

Collects Astro City: The Dark Age Book One #1-4, Astro City: The Dark Age Book Two #1-4, Astro City: The Dark Age Book Three #1-4, Astro City: The Dark Age Book Four #1-4, Astro City: Silver Agent #1-2 and portions of Astro City/Arrowsmith: The Flip Book. I'm waiting for HCs, but maybe you're not.

DEAD LUCKY #6

EIGHT BILLION GENIES #7 (OF 8)

GUNSLINGER SPAWN #17

HEXWARE #3 (OF 6)

I HATE FAIRYLAND #4

IMAGE 30TH ANNIVERSARY ANTHOLOGY #10 (OF 12)

KAYA #5

THE LAST BARBARIANS #1

Covers: Brian Haberlin

Fan-favorite duo Brian Haberlin and Geirrod Van Dyke are back with an all-new, high fantasy adventure in, The Last Barbarians. This ongoing series is set to launch from Image/Shadowline in February 2023.

You’d think in a fantastic world full of giants, magic and flying fish, it would be a world of possibility. But you’d be dead wrong here! Sylv is a jack of all trades; she can fight with the best of them, pick most pockets, and even cast a third-level spell or two. It’s too bad for her that if you aren’t a member of a guild, you are persona non grata: completely outcast from adventuring. That might be fine, except she has her disabled seven-foot-tall brother to take care of. If she can’t find a job to support them both, they’ll be dead in a ditch in a matter of weeks. So now her only hope is a quest from a sketchy cleric who promises only a true hero can save the day. Sylv has a lot of skills … and she’ll need them all to survive this hero’s journey!

“I'm so excited to be writing a story that is essentially a D&D campaign. I'm a huge fan and player of tabletop games, and that flavor of fantasy is so fun to work with. Especially with the added spice and feel of some of Terry Pratchett’s work. It’s going to be big, wild and fun but with some strong character at the story's heart. Pick it up … you won’t be sorry!” said Haberlin.

Van Dyke added: “When I was young, I was captivated by Delcourt graphic novels like Aquablue and Terres D’Ombre and I always hoped I would get to work on a high fantasy project and capture some of that same magic. The themes and images that we have planned I’m hopeful will excite our readers!"

LEAST WE CAN DO #6

NEMESIS RELOADED #2 (OF 5)

NIGHT CLUB #3 (OF 6)

REVOLVERS #4 (OF 4)

ROCKSTAR AND SOFTBOY GO TO SPACE ONE-SHOT

Acclaimed author Sina Grace (Getting It Together) revisits the 2022 fan-favorite comic Rockstar and Softboy for more hijinx than ever before! The all-new Rockstar and Softboy: Go to Space hits shelves from Image Comics in January 2023.

The dirtiest, flirtiest bff of comics are back, and holy moly are they in dire straits! After getting brutally rebuffed by the most influential dudes in Lost Angeles, Rockstar and Softboy pack their bags and GO TO SPACE.

How ... a world away from the world, can these two characters get into more trouble and learn more about their exquisite friendship!? Only one way to find out!.

“I never expected a book I made for my best friends to have legs beyond the original Rockstar and Softboy book,” said Grace. “These oversized one-shots are the perfect way to tell the wildest bestest stories, and I’m pushing myself to new levels of giddiness taking these two pals through the cosmos!”

In Rockstar and Softboy, readers were introduced to two best friends and their antics in Hollyweird, California. The one-shot took an intimate look at queer male friendship in a bombastic world filled with non-binary sorcerers, witches, social vampires, and demonic party animals. Their adventures continue in September’s Image! Anthology release before the pair blast off to space.

Select praise for Rockstar & Softboy:

“A wholesome and entertaining comic.” — ComicBook.com

“With all its good-times energy, Rockstar and Softboy is a very accurate analog for BFFs living in a party culture.” — AIPT

“A rare and wonderful queer friendship story.” — Graphic Policy

“When you strip away the outlandish clothing, shapeshifting cat and the occasional jockstrap, Rockstar and Softboy is really a story about friendship. You don't need to relate to the eccentric characters to seek what this pair is really after.” — Comicon.con

SCURRY GN

Today Skybound Comet unveiled a new look at the world and characters of Scurry, the new Middle Grade graphic novel from webcomics superstar Mac Smith, which marks the first-ever collection of the smash-hit webcomic in a complete volume.

The upcoming original graphic novel is an exciting release for Skybound Comet, a new original graphic novel imprint aimed at Young Adult (Ages 12+) and Middle Grade (Ages 8-12) audiences, but sure to captivate readers of all ages. 

Scurry depicts a world in which humanity has disappeared, but danger is still lurking around every corner for a colony of house mice struggling to survive a long and strange winter. When Wix, the colony’s best scout, embarks on a perilous journey to find food and shelter, he suddenly finds himself lost and alone in the forest. To find his way home, the little mouse must navigate dangerous new threats, strange new creatures and a destiny he never expected. 

Wix made his first comic book appearance in Skybound X #25.

"A gorgeously painted world rich with life, where complex animal societies and mythologies bring to mind the classic Watership Down." — Irma Kniivila (Everyday Hero Machine Boy

“What an epic and lavishly painted adventure! I loved everything about it: the good animals, the bad animals, the mythology, the hauntingly familiar setting. ALL OF IT!” — Tri Vuong (EVERYDAY HERO MACHINE BOY, LEGO NIINJAGO: GARMADON)

“In the great tradition of Mouse Guard, The Secret of Nimh and Watership Down, we’re thrilled to bring Mac Smith’s legendary webcomic Scurry to a brand-new audience,” said Alex Antone, Senior Editor at Skybound Comet. “This stunningly beautiful book looks like nothing else on your middle grade shelf, and Wix’s roller-coaster adventure will have young readers on the edge of their seats from start to finish!”

“Thrilling and heartwarming. Bold storytelling with rich, emotive artwork that’ll take you back to your favorite VHS clamshell. The Secret of Nimh meets the The Road. Highly recommended! Scurry out and find yourself a copy!” — Tony Fleecs (Writer/Co-creator of Stray Dogs)

• Lots of namechecks going on here: Mouse Guard, Watership Down, Secret of NIMH, Stray Dogs. Is it really as good as its predecessors? Let's hope so!
  • Here's a trailer.

SHIRTLESS BEAR-FIGHTER 2 #7 (OF 7)

TORRENT #1

Story: Marc Guggenheim | Art: Justin Greenwood | Covers: Justin Greenwood & Rico Renzi

From the team who brought readers Resurrection — Marc Guggenheim (Arrow, X-Men Gold, Star Wars: Revelations) and Justin Greenwood (The Old Guard: Tales Through Time, Future State: Gotham) — comes a brand-new superhero in Torrent. This new ongoing series will launch in February 2023 from Image Comics.

Michelle Metcalf is the world’s most happy-go-lucky hero — Crackerjack — until tragedy forces her to cross the line from hero … to vigilante.

“Michelle gets dragged through hell and back, pitting her against all levels of villains and heroes alike! It has been insanely fun to draw a super-hero book overflowing with action, not to mention getting to team up with so many of my pals and frequent collaborators," said Greenwood. "Marc has built a rich world of incredible characters and we are having a blast putting them through the meat grinder. It’s exactly the kind of vicious, kinetic comic I’d been champing at the bit to draw, and it looks amazing thanks to Rico’s bold colors and Keith’s great design.”

Guggenheim added: "I’m thrilled to be working with Justin Greenwood again and to returning to the world of creator-owned superheroes — but with a twist: A character-driven story that forces us to question what really makes a hero. With this series, Justin and I are striving to break new ground by reinventing and revisiting old tropes. And Justin’s kinetic art is second to none." 

WALKING DEAD DLX #57

WHAT'S THE FURTHEST PLACE FROM HERE? #11

MARVEL COMICS

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN BY WELLS & ROMITA JR VOL 3: HOBGOBLIN TP

AVENGERS END TIMES MARVEL TALES #1

AVENGERS FOREVER #14

Story: Jason Aaron | Art: Jim Towe| Cover: Aaron Kuder

In AVENGERS FOREVER #14, behold the greatest gathering of Avengers in the history of ever! The mightiest heroes of the Multiverse. The protectors of the prehistoric Earth. And the mainstay Avengers of the present-day Marvel Universe. At last, they all stand together in one place, united against a common foe. What enemy could dare stand against the greatest force ever assembled? Here comes Doom the Living Planet with the answer.

• Part 7 of “Avengers Assemble”
  • Tradewaiting.

CAPTAIN AMERICA BY NICK SPENCER OMNIBUS VOL 1 HC

• Nope. Not then, not now, not ever.

CAPTAIN AMERICA: SENTINEL OF LIBERTY VOL 1: REVOLUTION TP

CAPTAIN MARVEL #46

Story: Kelly Thompson | Art: Javier Pina | Cover: Juan Frigeri | Teen+ | $3.99

Carol Danvers is on an X-press elevator to her own personal hell! And the Brood Empress is determined to ensure the Captain and all of her friends make it to their destination. Rescuing their team and getting out alive has always been the goal, but the odds are more deeply stacked against her team than Carol can even imagine. Main cover connects to X-MEN #19!

• "Revenge of the Brood" Part 4.

DAREDEVIL AND ELEKTRA BY CHIP ZDARSKY VOL 1: RED FIST SAGA TP

DAREDEVIL EPIC COLLECTION: THE MAN WITHOUT FEAR TP

DOCTOR STRANGE EPIC COLLECTION: NIGHTMARE ON BLEECKER STREET TP

EDGE OF SPIDER-VERSE TP

FANTASTIC FOUR #4

GENIS-VELL: CAPTAIN MARVEL TP

HULK #12

HULK PLANET HULK OMNIBUS HC NEW PTG

INVINCIBLE IRON MAN #3

IRON MAN VOL 4: SOURCE CONTROL TP

MARAUDERS #11

MARVEL KNIGHTS: MAKE WORLD GO AWAY TP

MARVEL’S VOICES: WAKANDA FOREVER #1 ONE-SHOT

Story: Juni Ba, Murewa Ayodele, Adam Serwe, Sheena Howard & Karama Horne! | Art: Juni Ba, Dotun Akande, Todd Harris, Marcus Williams & Alitha E. Martinez | Covers: Ken Lashley, Ejiwa “Edge” Ebenebe, Karen S. Darboe, Afua Richardson

The special one-shot arrives just in time to celebrate Black History Month and puts the spotlight on iconic heroes of Wakanda. Black Panther, Shuri, Okoye and more star in all-new stories by an incredible lineup of both fan-favorite creators and talent fresh to the Marvel Universe. Join them as they grow the inimitable world of Wakanda in these tales of myth, adventure, strife, and more! Creative teams for the book will be announced soon.

The Marvel Universe is known for creating stories that reflect “the world outside your window.” For the past five years, Marvel's Voices has worked to not only give a behind-the-page look at the creators of those stories but highlight the richness that makes up the Marvel Universe. Today, for the first time, Marvel brought that to New York Comic Con.

The first-ever NYCC Marvel’s Voices panel was hosted by writer, editor, and podcast host Angélique Roché who was joined by Eve L. Ewing (Monica Rambeau: Photon), John Jennings (My Super Hero is Black), Danny Lore (Crypt of Shadows), Steve Orlando (Marauders), Cody Ziglar (Miles Morales: Spider-Man), and Marvel’s Voices Editor Sarah Brunstad.

“Ever since we first started bringing Marvel’s Voices into our comics back in 2020, it’s been so inspiring to see our stories grow and evolve, bringing up a fantastic lineup of new characters and creators,” said Marvel Comics Editor-in-Chief C.B. Cebulski. “Looking ahead to 2023, we’re excited to expand the anthology series to broaden our focus on characters and families, giving our writers, editors, and readers more stories and more characters in the grand tradition of Marvel’s Voices.”

Beyond the comics, fans can continue to follow Marvel’s Voices in 2023 with the ongoing Marvel’s Voices Walmart Artist Series, more “Marvel’s Voices” podcast seasons, weekly Marvel Unlimited’s Infinity Comics, licensed books, variant cover art programs, and so much more. Stay tuned for more exciting Marvel’s Voices news! For more information, visit Marvel.com.

MARVEL’S VOICES: WAKANDA FOREVER #1 will feature five all-new stories spotlighting the iconic heroes of Wakanda and brought to life by an incredible lineup of both fan-favorite creators and talent fresh to the Marvel Universe. Join them as they grow and expand the inimitable world of Wakanda in these tales of myth, adventure, strife, and more!

• T’Challa’s grandfather, Azzuri, learns a lesson as a teenager that will have a dramatic impact on Wakanda’s present in a moving story by writer Adam Serwer (Wakanda) and Marvel Studios storyboard artist Todd Harris!
  • It’s the debut of the LAST Black Panther in the far future of Wakanda in a revelatory tale written and drawn by Juni Ba (Black Panther, Image Comics’ Monkey Meat)
  • T’Challa must grapple with a crisis of faith and goes to a surprising ally to help get him through it in a thrilling tale by writer Karama Horne, author of the recent Black Panther: Protectors of Wakanda book, and artist Alitha E. Martinez, known for her work on Black Panther and Miles Morales: Spider-Man
  • Learn what length Shuri will go to in order to protect Wakanda from a devastating attack from a dangerous new foe in an action-packed story by Murewa Ayodele and Dotun Akanda, the team behind the recently announced I Am Iron Man limited series
  • A new Dora Milaje trainee must accomplish one last thing to earn her place: defeat Okoye in combat! Witness this breathtaking battle in this story by Eisner Award-winning writer Sheena Howard and artist Marcus Williams (Tuskegee Heirs)
  • Plus all-new essays and interviews about all things Wakanda! 

“Ever since we first started bringing Marvel’s Voices into our comics back in 2020, it’s been so inspiring to see our stories grow and evolve, bringing up a fantastic lineup of new characters and creators,” said Marvel Comics Editor-in-Chief C.B. Cebulski. “Looking ahead to 2023, we’re excited to expand the anthology series to broaden our focus on characters and families, giving our writers, editors, and readers more stories and more characters in the grand tradition of MARVEL'S VOICES.”

In addition, Marvel’s BLACK HISTORY MONTH VARIANT COVERS are back, giving some of the industry’s most acclaimed artists a chance to spotlight some of the most iconic Black super heroes in fiction. This year, fans can find these stunning covers on four titles and each issue will also have a special backup story starring that very character!

MARY JANE AND BLACK CAT #3 (OF 5)

MMW INVINCIBLE IRON MAN VOL 16 HC

MONICA RAMBEAU PHOTON #3 (OF 5)

MURDERWORLD: MOON KNIGHT #1

Story: Jim Zub, Ray Fawkes | Art: Luca Pizzari | Cover: Paco Medina | Teen+ | $3.99

Under the harsh light of the moon there is no escape, and with only a handful of contestants left, anything can happen! Murderworld is a life-or-death game of treachery and tragedy brought to you by Jim Zub (Conan the Barbarian, Avengers: No Surrender), Ray Fawkes (One Soul, Constantine) and, illustrated by Luca Pizzari! Arcade and his schemes have been a punchline in the past, but this contest is no joke. Each issue ups the ante, and this penultimate chapter has some of the biggest twists yet. Don't miss it!

• "Murderworld" Part 4.

NIGHTCRAWLERS #1 (OF 3)

Story: Si Spurrier | Art: Paco Medina | Cover: Leinil Yu | Teen+ | $3.99

Ten years into a twisted future, MR SINISTER unleashes his private army of assassins: THE LEGION OF THE NIGHT. Meet WAGNERINE, commanding this killer crew of brainwashed hybrids, each one a genetic mix of NIGHTCRAWLER and another one of Marvel's most murderous mutants! Mysterious forces seek to break Sinister's control over these fatal fanatics — to turn them AGAINST HIM. But who are they? And what are their true motives ...? Enter MOTHER RIGHTEOUS ... and a meeting of the most powerful players in the Universe.

• "Sins of Sinister"

SPIDER-MAN #5

SPIDER-MAN LOST HUNT #4 (OF 5)

STAR WARS #31

STAR WARS: BOUNTY HUNTERS #31

STAR WARS: BOUNTY HUNTERS VOL 5 RAID ON VERMILLION TP

WASP #2 (OF 4)

WOLVERINE #30

X-MEN #19

X-MEN HELLFIRE GALA: IMMORTAL TP

X-TREME X-MEN #3 (OF 5)

MORE COMICS

ACTION JOURNALISM #5

ADVENTURE ZONE VOL 5: ELEVENTH HOUR GN

ADVENTURES OF GWF #1

ARGH AMERICAS REALLY GOT HEROES ONE-SHOT

Story: Brian Denham | Art: Various | Cover: Brian Denham | Antarctic Press | $4.99

After a devastating alien attack wipes out the majority of Earth's heroes, it's up to a panel of 3 battle-hardened judges and your host, Skip Intro, to find the next generation of saviors via a suped-up reality game show!  Who will prove they've got talent, who will dance with the stars, who will be the weakest link, who will get voted off?!  A host of comic artists (Fred Perry, David Hutchison, Joe Wight & more) bring forth their own challengers in a dual competition between heroes and creators.  Will your favorite win?

Pass.

BILLIONAIRE ISLAND: CULT OF DOGS #4 (OF 6)

CHILLING ADVENTURES PRESENTS ... BETTY: THE FINAL GIRL ONE-SHOT

Script: Micol Ostow, Casey Gilly, Sam Maggs | Art: Laura Braga, Natalie Nardozza, Carola Borelli | Colors: Matt Herms | Letters: Jack Morelli | Cover: Laura Braga | Cover: Megan Hutchison | 32 page | $3.99

Veronica has invited Betty to her luxurious mountaintop chalet for a cozy weekend of skiing. But their girls weekend is interrupted when Archie shows up and whisks Veronica off on their own snowy romantic adventure. What could go wrong at a fancy remote cabin in the mountains all by herself? Betty’s mind races and she can’t tell fact from fiction as she suddenly realizes she might not be so alone. Is Betty believing too much in the horror movies she’s watched, or is someone (or something) really out to get her? Find out in this BRAND NEW horror anthology one-shot that‘s equal parts Scream and When a Stranger Calls.

Archie Comics icon Betty Cooper — known for 80 years as the girl next door with a ready solution for every problem — might have finally found her match in CHILLING ADVENTURES PRESENTS... BETTY: THE FINAL GIRL, a one-shot anthology.

The slasher sub-genre's most widely loved trope, the "final girl" is the clever survivor who carries a relentless plot across the finish line, taking it to the bad guy in the last scene. Writer Micol Ostow (Fear the Funhouse, Riverdale: The Ties That Bind) immediately turned to Betty when she thought of marrying the genre with Archie's core cast of characters.

"I'm a diehard horror fan, and I've been obsessed with how seamlessly Archie's been able to integrate different styles, levels, and aesthetics of spookiness into their Archie Horror library," Micol said. "And while I don't have *one* favorite scary movie or book, I've always been a sucker for the ‘final girl’ trope. It hit me that Betty would make a fantastic final girl: blonde, kick-ass, capable!"

Micol's framing story, "Rosemary's Babysitter," with art by Laura Braga (Blossoms 666), takes Betty and Veronica to a secluded mountaintop chalet for a weekend of skiing. When Betty is left alone, her mind begins to race and dangers appear around every darkened hallway and every creaky door. Each new fright introduces a new story starring a different girl from the Archie Comics roster: "Be Mine or Die" by Casey Gilley (Return of Chilling Adventures in Sorcery) and Natalie Nardozza (Gemini Crisis), and "Melody's Next" by Sam Maggs (Critical Role) and Carola Borelli (Deadliest Bouquet).

“When Micol Ostow first pitched the idea of doing a ‘final girl’-style story with Betty as the eponymous final girl, I was immediately interested; the idea of a ‘final girl’ is so synonymous with horror that it would be silly NOT to do it," said Archie Comics Senior Director of Editorial Jamie L. Rotante. "Every good teen/college horror flick utilizes that idea, so fitting it into the Archie universe was a lay-up. In keeping with our practice of horror anthologies, we also wanted to have there be more than one ‘final girl,’ so, the final girls of Betty, Brigitte, and Melody all came into play!”

A love letter to slasher movies and horror in general, the comic features two open-to-order covers by Laura Braga and Megan Hutchison celebrating the heroic final girl archetype. Archie Comics Art Director Vincent Lovallo said, “When considering the covers for BETTY: THE FINAL GIRL, we kept in mind the survival themes of fear and dread. Laura hit the mark perfectly with the eerie atmosphere of the forest, the frightening figure in the distance, and a battle-bloodied Betty who's prepared to face the unknown. And from Betty's bewildered expression to the neon-like glow of the surrounding demons, Megan's variant creates an air of uncertainty; which horrors are real and which are fake?!”

• Well, of course!

DAHLIA IN THE DARK #3 (OF 6)

DEAD KINGDOM #5

DISNEY: STRANGE WORLD GN

DOOR TO DOOR NIGHT BY NIGHT #3

ETERNUS #2

EVANESCENCE: THE HEART IS BROKEN ONE-SHOT

Story: Maura McHugh | Art: Valeria Romanazzi | Cover: Kelly McKernan | Opus | $6.99

From Grammy Award-winning rock band Evanescence, My Heart is Broken adapts one of the band's biggest hits in short stories created by an all-star cast of creators. The fiery ballad is brought to life by Maura McHugh, Valeria Romanazzi, and Kelly McKernan.

• It would probably help if I had heard of this band,  but I haven't heard of most modern performers. That's because one of the benefits of getting old is that you don't have to care about pop culture any more (assuming you ever did).
  • Here's a preview.

EXCITING COMICS #30

FAE & THE MOON HC GN

FEAR OF A RED PLANET #3

FEARSCAPE VOL 2: A DARK INTERLUDE TP

A FOULNESS IN THE WALLS ONE-SHOT

Story: Cullen Bunn | Art: Rodrigo Zayas | Cover: Sami Kivela | Aftershock | $7.99

A Horror Prestige Format One-Shock from the mind of Cullen Bunn!

After a tragic loss, George hopes to rebuild his life. He moves to a new house. He gets a new job. He starts dating the girl of his dreams. Sometimes, though, guilt can be as malevolent as an evil spirit. Sometimes, ghosts follow you. Something is rotting in the walls of George's new house. Something hungry. 

Written by Cullen Bunn (DARK ARK, UNHOLY GRAIL, Basilisk, Bone Parish) and illustrated by Rodrigo Zayas (Cyber Force: Rebirth), comes a story of loss, rot and hunger.

• Bunn had the successful The Sixth Gun at Oni Press for years. What's he doing at tiny Aftershock?

FRANK MILLER'S PANDORA #2

GOLDEN RECORD

Story/Art: Rosemary Valero-O'Connell | Silver Sprocket | Mature | 40 pages | $19.99

Golden Record is a bilingual English/Spanish poetry magazine & autofiction chapbook lusciously written & illustrated by award-winning graphic novelist Rosemary Valero-O'Connell.

It is an amalgamation of words & images brought together to become more than the sum of their parts, exploring the body as the site & host of all pleasure and pain, &, as its name pays homage to, a collection of dispatches from life on earth.

• More Silver Sprocket weirdness.

GOOD BOY VOL 3 #4

GRIMM UNIVERSE: CINDERELLA — FAIRY WORLD MASSACRE

HORROR COMICS #19

INVESTIGATORS AGENT OF S U I T VOL 1 GN

JUNGLE COMICS #12

KILLCHELLA #2 (OF 4)

KITSUNE #1 (OF 6)

Story: Luca Frigerio | Art/Colors/Letters: Emanuele Ercolani | Scout Comics | $4.99

A ronin seeks for redemption in a mechanized medieval Japan.

Twelve years ago, Kitsunichi Shimitsu was banished by his daimyo because of his role in a conspiracy. Now that his master is no longer alive, his homeland has descended into chaos due to the incompetence of the young daimyo to rule.

Our hero, accompanied by his friend Karamatsuki Yamanouchi, has returned home to set things right but his efforts unveil the most horrible of truths — the chaos enveloping his homeland has been instigated by his long-lost, son Hirotaro Shimitzu!

Will Kitsunichi be able to redeem himself and perhaps save his son? What other disturbing truths will he discover along his journey? Nothing is like it seems in Kitsune!

Quote from the creators:

Luca Frigerio: “Kitzune has a great importance: it is the first comic I did with Emanuele and it is also the first comic I published in America. I am very happy that it is published by Scout Comics because I consider them to be one of the most vital and interesting entities in the comics scene.”

Emanuele Ercolani: “I am so thrilled! I am drawing samurai foxes!! Wooo-hoooo!”

• My wife and I are both familiar with the mythological Kitsune — in fact, that's what my wife named her car. But this one doesn't have nine tails, so it's not exactly the same thing.

LEGION OF DARKNESS: FOURTH EAGLE

Story/Art: Chrill | Source Point Press | $3.99

Three outcast warriors venture into the forest of Teutoburg, the scene of one of the greatest Roman military defeats, to return a coin to the ghosts of the soldiers who fell in that battle.

• Well, if those ghosts hadn't carelessly lost that coin when they were alive, they wouldn't need to force the living to risk their lives. But as we know from BBC's Ghosts, the afterlife can be populated by very selfish phantoms!

LOVECRAFT: UNKNOWN KADATH #6

MANGA Z #7

MY BROTHER'S BLOOD MACHINE #3 (OF 6)

NIGHTWALKERS #2 (OF 5)

NOW #12

Creators: Eric Reynnolds, Alex Graham | Fantagraphics | 120 pages 

The two-time 2021 Eisner Award-nominated comics anthology returns for its seventh year!

The first new NOW of 2023 features all-new work from several contributors familiar to NOW readers as well as new artists from around the globe. Newcomers to this issue include Cynthia Alfonso (Spain) and Bhanu Pratap (India), while past contributors Noah Van Sciver (U.S.), Cecelia Varhed (Sweden), and Kayla E. (U.S.) all return with new work. As a special feature of this issue, legendary cartoonist Peter Bagge (Hate) collaborates with Brooklyn Nine-Nine writer Matt Lawton on “The Cartoonist,” a satire of the now near-obsolete profession of newspaper gag cartooning.

NOW The New Comics Anthology is still the best value in comics: every issue is a self-contained cross-section of the best short comics stories the globe has to offer and it has established itself as the preeminent anthology of first-rate international comics talent. With all-new, never-before-seen material from a mix of emerging and established talent, NOW is the perfect answer to the question, “Why Comics?”

PRAISE

"Editor Eric Reynolds has assembled a group of cartoonists who are fiercely confident in their unique approaches to comic book storytelling." — The A.V. Club

"NOW graphically encapsulates series editor Reynolds's subversive yet tactically balanced approach to the craft of editing." — Los Angeles Review of Books

PARKER GIRLS #5

PEACH AND PLUM RULE AT SCHOOL GN

PHANTOM COMPLETE DAILIES VOL 26 1975-1977 HC

PLANET COMICS #14

QUESTED #3

REDSHIFT #6 (OF 6)

REJECTED: THE FALLEN

Story/Art: Josh Sobek | Source Point Press | Mature | $3.99

Mr. Teeth bites off more than he can chew when he tries to collect the soul of a fallen angel.

RICK AND MORTY VS CTHULHU #3

RITUALS

Story/Art: Nicole Goux | Silver Sprocket | Mature | $12.99

In this mini-art book full of lush illustrations, artist Nicole Goux captures the sacred rites of getting ready to go out: the quiet before the party, the anticipation before the date and the spiritual creation of self in the safe space of your inner sanctuary.

• Who wouldn't want to read a graphic novel about getting ready for a date? Epic.

SACRAMENT TP

Story: Peter Milligan | Art/Cover: Marcelo Frusin | AWA | Mature | $9.99

The Exorcist meets Alien in this sci-fi/horror story. In the year 3000, Mankind abandoned Earth and fled into outer space. Now, a disgraced priest, called into action to perform an exorcism on a remote space colony, is about to discover that no matter how far you run, you can't escape your demons, and the Devil is, in fact, real.

SCORN #1

Story: Chris Crosby Cover: Rob Potchak | Art/Cover: Thonny B. B | Keenspot | $5.99

1990s "bad girl" character Scorn returns to comics after a quarter-century in a boldly reimagined new series! On a backwards planet guided by an ancient rulebook, teenage Princess Kalee assumed those rules didn't apply to royalty like her. But after the ruling council violates her privacy and discover she's gay (a big no-no!), Kalee only escapes execution by being banished from her home planet forever. Now living under the alias Scorn and exploring the galaxy along with fellow outcast Chez, she tries to find happiness until an evil act forces Scorn to return to the place she once called home. Now it's up to this former princess to teach her world that stupid rules were meant to be broken!

SOARING STORY OF COURAGE GN

Story: Anthony Zuiker, Suneel Ram | Art:  Fantoons | Zuiker Press | $14.99

Suneel Ram, born with the degenerative disease called Duchene Muscular Dystrophy, found the strength and inspiration he needed from that eagle. Suneel too longed to soar against the wind and show the world the strength hidden within his fragile body. Suneel's childhood and teen years were marred by broken bones and extreme muscle weakness. Confined to a motorized wheelchair, he was stuck on the sidelines as his peers ran and played. Even just writing was agony, and he relied on his aide to help him with just about everything. But the pain from his disease was nothing compared to the pain of loneliness. He longed to rise up from his wheelchair and tell the world about who he really was, beyond his disease. He needed to find his voice. He got that chance in college. After a professor gave an inept description of DMD to the biology class, Suneel was determined to tell the class the truth about living with DMD. He composed a speech and courageously addressed the class. That day he spoke with strength and his audience was mesmerized. He had found his voice. Now he would take back his life.

SPA HC

ERIK SVETOFT, TRANSLATOR: MELISSA BOWERS

This nightmarish debut, a biting critique of consumer society and the “wellness” industry, recalls the films of David Lynch and Lars Von Trier and the horror manga of Junji Ito.

Somewhere in northern Europe, a five-star spa and conference hotel caters to anyone who can afford it. But, at every turn, where luxuriance should reign, things are amiss. A demanding VIP client disappears without a trace. A business seminar is cut short. A young official gets lost looking for his room. A socially outcast masseuse struggles to find acceptance. Two lovers struggle to escape the horror of everyday life — which includes horrific apparitions routinely haunting them. An egocentric manager doubts himself. Abused employees accept their sad fate. Curious inspectors come to settle their accounts.

Meanwhile, mysterious moisture damage is spreading. Amidst the extravagant decor, black and viscous liquid flows slowly in the labyrinthine alleys of the resort and trickles down the walls. Hot and humid, the dampness is suffocating. Mold sets in and with it skin diseases, hallucinations, ghosts, malevolent spirits, hybrid creatures, and other monsters both dead and alive. Spa is a horrific graphic novel debut marked by grotesque and whimsical humor.

PRAISE

"Svetoft's magnificent drawings exert a powerful pull. (...) Beautifully grotesque." — The Daily Mirror

SUPER PANCAKE GN

SUPERBABES STARRING FEMFORCE #13

TROJAN #2 (OF 4)

WORLD WAR 3 RAID ON TOKYO #2 (OF 5)

ZOMBICIDE DAY ONE #2 (OF 4)

MORE MANGA

BREAK OF DAWN GN

CANDY & CIGARETTES VOL 3 GN

CANDY COLOR PARADOX VOL 6 GN

CONFESSIONS OF SHY BAKER VOL 1 GN

DAUGHTER OF EMPEROR VOL 3 GN

DRIFTING DRAGONS VOL 12 GN

FORMERLY FALLEN DAUGHTER OF DUKE VOL 3 GN

GAP PAPA DADDY AT WORK & HOME VOL 1 GN

GIRL THAT CAN'T GET A GIRLFRIEND GN

HUNTERS GUILD RED HOOD VOL 2 GN

ICEBLADE SORCERER SHALL RULE WORLD VOL 4 GN

ISLAND IN A PUDDLE VOL 5 GN

JUST FRIENDS GN

KOMI CAN'T COMMUNICATE VOL 23 GN

MARMALADE BOY COLL ED VOL 1 GN

MEGUMI & TSUGUMI VOL 1 GN

MONOLOGUE WOVEN FOR YOU VOL 3 GN

MOST HERETICAL LAST BOSS QUEEN VILLAINESS VOL 3 GN

MY ISEKAI LIFE VOL 5 GN

PARASYTE COLOR COLL VOL 2 HC

PHANTOM OF IDOL VOL 4 GN

RADIANT VOL 16 GN

REAL ACCOUNT 18-20 OMNIBUS HC

SAKAMOTO DAYS VOL 6 GN

SPLATOON VOL 16 GN

TOKYO ALIENS VOL 2 GN

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• "Who wouldn't want to read a graphic novel about getting ready for a date?"

I learned everything I need to know here:

42074173488.1.jpg?profile=RESIZE_710x

• ???
    10962228285?profile=RESIZE_710x

Story/Art: Various | Cover: David Marquez, Alejandro Sanchez | $4.99

NEW THREATS WILL RISE! Written by Tim Seeley, Joshua Williamson, Dennis Culver, A.L. Kaplan, and Alyssa Wong Art by Baldemar Rivas, Chris Burnham, A.L. Kaplan, and Haining When the Lazarus storm touches down, people from every walk of life stand to be affected. People who are kind, people who are good...and people who are evil. This epic issue will spotlight the many disastrous new villains created by the Lazarus event and the heroes who stand ready to stop them from doing harm to others! What sinister threat brings a new chapter to the Doom Patrol saga? Can a new hero channel the inexorable Still Force energy to fend off evil? What lurks in the corners of the Spirit World for new character Xanthe? And what early clue to the new direction in Arkham Tower will spell disaster for Gotham City?

• Where have I seen that cover at bottom left before? I want to say Spectre or House of Mystery.

10962169680?profile=RESIZE_710x10962169871?profile=RESIZE_710x10962170278?profile=RESIZE_710x

• More eggs to chose from.  I’ll stop now.

10962231055?profile=RESIZE_710x
    10962231063?profile=RESIZE_710x
    10962231266?profile=RESIZE_710x
    10962231289?profile=RESIZE_710x
    10962231464?profile=RESIZE_710x

10962231855?profile=RESIZE_710x
    10962231489?profile=RESIZE_710x

• What I'm remembering might be one of these two, or a combination:

10962614056?profile=RESIZE_710x10962613877?profile=RESIZE_710x

But I don't think it is. It's the shape of the arm, and the angle (coming at the reader) that is setting off my homage sense. I want to say the original is by Neal Adams, but I can't be sure. 

• Any chance that you might be remembering the rather fearsome hands coming from the hidden creatures at the covers of Tomahawk #90 and #104, Captain?

Looking at the cover gallery, that book sure seems to have taken a turn towards the sci-fi in later years.

10962624864?profile=RESIZE_710x

10962624878?profile=RESIZE_710x

• 10962658277?profile=RESIZE_710x

• By George, I think you've got it!

Con Sarolas said:

10962658277?profile=RESIZE_710x

10962169680?profile=RESIZE_710x

• The two DC covers don't make sense to me. A "fossil egg" would be a rock, not an egg. That's like the Cary Grant movie where the dog steals his dinosaur bone, which is a rock.

• "By George, I think you've got it!"

Congratulations!

Did anyone ever figure out a definitive possible source for this one?

848f2302701094f193288a9a55291160-800.jpg?profile=RESIZE_710x

It's been driving me nuts for nearly a year now. I'm thinking it might be a mash-up of different covers for foreground and background elements.

• I haven't found a likely model. The best matches I've found are The Invaders #40 and Batman #348 (for their layouts; also compare The Avengers #80, Marvel Team-Up #1), DC Special Series #12 (for genre and cast), Doc Savage #7 (the closest match I could find with a shirtless foreground figure). Images from the GCD. Click to enlarge.

10970038076?profile=RESIZE_710x10970039055?profile=RESIZE_710x10970040085?profile=RESIZE_710x10970040686?profile=RESIZE_710x

This reply was deleted.