Comics Guide: Feb. 20-26, 2023

DARK HORSE COMICS

BLUE BOOK #1 (OF 5)

Story: James TynionIV | Art: Klaus Janson | Art/Cover: Michael Avon Oeming | $4,.99

From the New York Times bestselling and award-winning cocreators of Something is Killing the Children, The Nice House on the Lake, The Department of Truth and Powers comes this ambitious, nonfiction comic book experience depicting true stories of UFO abductions with an eye to capturing the strange essence of those encounters.

In this debut issue, Tynion presents what he calls his "True Weird" stories. Tales of ordinary people encountering the strange and the impossible. Teaming with artist Michael Avon Oeming, they retell some of the most popular UFO and alien encounter accounts starting with the infamous Betty and Barney Hill abduction — the widely publicized and very first abduction that went on to shape and influence all future encounter stories.

Also includes the short "True Weird: Coney Island" by James Tynion IV, Klaus Janson, and Aditya Bidikar!

• I have never been abducted by aliens, but if I was, I'd certainly want it turned into a comic book.
  • This reminds me to get the Silent Invasion boxed set.

BPRD OMNIBUS VOL 4 TP

COUNT CROWLEY VOL 2: AMATEUR MIDNIGHT MONSTER HUNTER TP

CYBERPUNK 2077: YOU HAVE MY WORD TP

DEAD MALL #4 (OF 4)

DRAGON AGE MISSING #2 (OF 4)

GROO: GODS AGAINST GROO #3 (OF 4)

HELLBOY IN LOVE #3 (OF 5)

LAST DAYS OF BLACK HAMMER: FROM THE WORLD OF BLACK HAMMER TP

Critically acclaimed and Eisner-award winning writer Jeff Lemire, along with artist Stefano Simeone and letterer Nate Piekos are embarking on the next epic tale from the Black Hammer Universe in The Last Days of Black Hammer!    

Acting as a prequel to the events of the Black Hammer Universe, The Last Days of Black Hammer details the heroics of Joe Weber — the original hero known as Black Hammer — at the height of his power, along with the rest of the main Black Hammer heroes like Golden Gail, Abraham Slam and Barbalien in the final days leading up the their cataclysmic battle with the cosmic villain Anti-God!

The Last Days of Black Hammer tells the story of the last days of the original Black Hammer, Jospeh Weber, and is a graphic novel I have wanted to do for a while,” says Jeff Lemire. “I’m so excited to be working with Stefano Simeone to bring this to life and to release it in such a unique way.”

Praise for Black Hammer:

"Amazing. Just flat-out amazing." — Patton Oswalt

"I don't read many comics these days, and I can't remember the last time I read a superhero comic, but I'm loving Black Hammer …" — Mike Mignola

"Black Hammer is easily one of Lemire's best creations." — Scott Snyder

"On my pull list by the time I got to page five." — Mark Waid

"Black Hammer is the maddest, most brilliant comic I’ve read in years." — Mark Millar

• So far, all of this Silver Age pastiche is good. It's not revolutionary, but it hits some sweet spots.

LONESOME HUNTERS TP

MIND MGMT BOOTLEG HC

NEXUS NEFARIOUS HC

Dark Horse Books and Mike Baron team up once again to bring you Nexus: Nefarious. The latest edition of the Nexus series has our hero encountering friends new and old as he tries to escape a prison planet. Baron is joined by artist Richard Bonk along with colorist Ichsan Ansori and letterer Warren Motgomery.

Nexus hits an object in space, sending him crashing into the nearest planet. To make matters worse, the planet serves as a prison to a nearby world. With the wrong sun in the sky, Nexus is unable to use his powers — so he'll have to rely on his intelligence and survival skills if he wants to escape and see his family again.

The Nexus: Nefarious will retail for $17.99.

Praise for Nexus series:

“If there's anything wrong in the latest chapter of Nexus I cannot find it. The writing is brisk and to the point. The reliance of technobabble, which seems to be a common misstep among space operas does not occur here.” — Comics Bulletin

“It's a nice way to cap off the Nexus saga (for now) and is beautifully drawn throughout.” — Major Spoilers

• Now that I see Nexus stories without Steve Rude, I realize that Steve Rude was why I was reading Nexus. Without him, I'm not.

ONES #4 (OF 4)

PEARL VOL 3 TP

PSYCHO-PASS INSPECTOR SHINYA KOGAMI VOL 6 TP

The epic finale to the Psycho-Pass: Inspector Shinya Kogami saga. The manga is prequel to the popular anime series Psycho-Pass, starring a younger version of the protagonist. It features writing by Midori Gotou with art by Natsuo Sai and story by Gen Urobuchi (Fate/Zero, Puella Magi Madoka Magica).

The perfect society and its price … the manga prequel to the acclaimed anime series! In the 22nd century, the Psycho-Pass is a system that measures emotional health, making crime not only rare, but strange and dangerous — and the only “safe” job for a person on the borderline is as a cop … kept on a virtual leash as they hunt down the criminals they may soon become themselves!

The explosive conclusion! As Division 3 races to try to save the life of Professor Toshi, they find that the trauma unit within the Special Sector has become a deadly trap. But in this high-tech underground complex, it’s a hidden cache of a very obsolete information storage format — handwritten letters — that may provide the last clue that must be understood by Inspector Kogami … before the elders behind this hidden kingdom of guilt decide to carry out their final act of atonement!

Psycho-Pass: Inspector Shinya Kogami Volume 6 will retail for $11.99.

Praise for Psycho-Pass:

“Makes good use of the dystopian future genre, good foils and parallels throughout. Some neat visuals …” — Anime News Network

Psycho-Pass is a compelling cyberpunk mystery…” — Kotaku

Psycho Pass is the best crime-thriller-science fiction anime I have watched and will definitely be recommending to others as well as watching again in the future.” — IGN

STAR WARS: THE NAMELESS TERROR #1 (OF 4)

THE WITCHER: THE BALLAD OF TWO WOLVES #3 (OF 4)

DC COMICS

BATMAN: DETECTIVE COMICS VOL 1: THE NEIGHBORHOOD TP

BATMAN: ONE BAD DAY — CLAYFACE #1

Story: Collin Kelly, Jackson Lanzing | Art/Cover: Xermanico | $7.99

All Basil Karlo ever wanted to be was an actor ... no ... one of the greatest actors there's ever been. However, his life went off course when he became the shape-shifting monster known as Clayface. After years of doing battle with Batman in Gotham City and distancing himself from his dream, Clayface goes out west to Los Angeles. Creating a new identity, he pursues his dream of acting only to find that Gotham City isn't the only place with an overwhelming sense of dread to it, and that he might not have what it takes to make it in the City of Angels. So he'll reshape the city to fit his needs in a deadly pursuit of stardom. From the rising-star creative team of Collin Kelly and Jackson Lanzing (Batman Beyond: Neo-Year, Captain America: Sentinel of Liberty) and Xermanico (Flashpoint Beyond), this is an epic tragedy not to be missed!

• I've been tradewaiting this, but it turns out that DC isn't going to release a traditional collection, at least not yet. Instead, they're going to release a box with an HC of the first book (Batman: One Bad Day — The Riddler) and a repackaged Batman: The Killing Joke HC (which was the inspiration for the One Bad Day series), with room for all the other issues, which will be re-released as HCs. This starts in June.

BATMAN/SUPERMAN: WORLD'S FINEST #12

BATMAN: THE DETECTIVE TP

BIRDS OF PREY: THE END OF THE BEGINNING TP

BLACK ADAM #8 (OF 12)

CATWOMAN #52

DCEASED: WAR OF THE GOD #6 (OF 8)

FLASH #793

HARLEY QUINN: THE ANIMATED SERIES — LEGION OF BATS #5 (OF 6)

JOKER VOL 3 HC

LAZARUS PLANET: OMEGA ONE-SHOT

Story: Mark Waid, Gene Luen Yang | Art: Riccardo Federici, Billy Tan, Various | Cover: David Marquez, Alejandro Sanchez | $5.99

FATE AND FURY. The Devil Nezha and his son are at war — with all of humanity caught in the middle! The Lazarus storms are intensifying worldwide, Earth's superheroes are on the ropes, and Batman is living on borrowed time. It’s up to Zatanna, the Spectre, the Demon, Klarion and the rest of the DCU’s magic users to join Damian Wayne and set things right — but to do that, they'll have to uncover Nezha's final, explosive secret! Plus: Dreamer has rescued Doctor Fate's helmet from destruction ... but why does it keep glowing like that? The Dawn of the DCU begins as the Lazarus Planet saga crashes to a close!

NIGHTWING #101

SUPERMAN #1

Story: Joshua Williamson | Art/Cover: Jamal Campbell | $4.99

IT’S THE DAWN OF DC! Superman has returned to Metropolis and his greatest enemy Lex Luthor is finally behind bars. The future of the Superman family has never been brighter! As Clark Kent settles back into his life, iconic and new enemies erupt from the shadows to strike down the Man of Steel! But waiting in the wings to back up Big Blue is ... Supercorp?! What secret project has Lex given to Superman?! A hero is only as good as their villains will be put to the test in this brand-new oversize #1 featuring comics' greatest superhero by DC Comics architect Joshua Williamson and award-winning superstar artist Jamal Campbell!

“After the darkness of the last year in the DCU, there is no character better suited to lead DC into the light than Superman,” said Joshua Williamson. “It’s an understatement to say I’m honored to be writing DC’s flagship series. I’m very excited to take Clark Kent on a fun, pulp style adventure in Metropolis against his greatest villains. We’re also going to be introducing new concepts and new challenges for the Man of Steel and to be doing it with wonderful partners like Jamal Campbell and Nick Dragotta is a dream come true. Every page explodes with awesome energy. The Superman line that Tom, Phillip and I are putting together with DC is going to lead the way for an exciting 2023.”

• So who knows Superman is Clark Kent now? I assume Lois and Jon. Ma and Pa. Supergirl and whoever those new Super-Family members are. What about the Justice League? John Henry and Natasha Irons? Dick Grayson? I suppose he could tell those he wants to know.  

SUPERMAN: SPACE AGE #3 (OF 3)

TITANS UNITED: BLOODPACT #12 (OF 12)

WHIZ COMICS #2 FACSIMILE EDITION

WONDER WOMAN #796

DYNAMITE ENTERTAINMENT

DARKWING DUCK #2

DRACULINA: BLOOD SIMPLE #1

Story: Christopher Priest | Art: Michael Sta. Maria | Covers: Jay Anacleto, Joseph Michael Linsner, Rafael Kayanan, Zoe Lacchei, Cosplay / Rachel Hollon | 32 pages | Teen+ | $3.99

It's the family reunion from Hell in an all-new epic!

Writer Christopher Priest reunites with artist Michael Sta. Maria for a bloody new thriller!

Vampirella's hateful, self-absorbed twin is back in a new volume and this time her Vampire Privilege entitlement is failing her as Vampirette, her preteen other-self, has become a literal mirror image of the life she could have had and person should could have become if she wasn't, y'know, Draculina.

Also: Lilith has returned and the meddling vampire Mm from Hell is determined to reunite her estranged daughters while Levi, a murderous sea creature, intends to crash the family reunion!

• Just like with real siblings, Draculina steals her older sister's clothes.

GARGOYLES #3

VAMPIRELLA STRIKES #10

IDW PUBLISHING

DEAD SEAS #3

EARTHDIVERS #5

ROCKETEER GREAT RACE TP

SKULL CAT VOL 1: SKULL CAT & THE CURIOUS CASTLE TP

STAR TREK SNW ILLYRIAN ENIGMA #3

IMAGE COMICS

20TH CENTURY MEN #6 (OF 6)

ART BRUT #2 (OF 4)

BLACK CLOAK #2

GOLDEN RAGE VOL 1 TP

ICE CREAM MAN #34

IMMORTAL SERGEANT #2 (OF 9)

INFERNO GIRL RED BOOK ONE #2 (OF 3)

JUNKYARD JOE #5

KILLADELPHIA #28

LOCAL MAN #1

Story: Tony Fleecs | Art: Tim Seeley | Covers: Tim Seeley & Tony Fleecs,  Tim Seeley & Brian Reber

| $3.99

Fan-favorite creators Tony Fleecs (Stray Dogs, Star Wars Adventures) and Tim Seeley (Revival, Hack/Slash) team up for the upcoming Local Man. This new ongoing series will combine rural crime noir with superhero action and hit shelves in February 2023 from Image Comics.

Each issue of the series will be a classic Image Comics “flip book” format with a lead story drawn by Fleecs and a superhero flashback — into the depths of the Image Universe — drawn by Seeley. The premier issue will contain 30 pages of story content for only $3.99.

"Local Man is Tony and I teaming up to make a comic book that combines what we love about '90s superheroes, with our shared affections for crime and horror stories," said Seeley in an exclusive on the announcement at CBR. "Part Extreme Studios, part Vertigo Comics. It's a story about love and loss, and ego, and murder most foul. But it's also about nostalgia, and promises not fulfilled—with lots of gritted teeth, and epic head punches."

Once the star recruit of the media sensation super-team Third Gen, Jack “Crossjack” Xaver had it all. But when controversy sends him crawling back to his mom and dad’s basement in the Midwest, Jack struggles to fit into a world he left far behind. And then the bodies start piling up.

Fleecs added: "We wanted to try and make something that captured what we loved about the explosive early Image Comics — while also telling a personal, small town crime story. Sounds cool, right? Cybernetic limbs, telekinetic blasts and pickup trucks." 

• I can't wait for the Battle of the Century: Local Man vs. Florida Man!

LOVESICK #5 (OF 7)

MAGIC ORDER 4 #2 (OF 6)

MAGIC ORDER VOL 3 TP

MONSTRESS #43

PLUSH #4 (OF 6)

RADIANT PINK #3 (OF 5)

SAGA #62

SINS OF THE BLACK FLAMINGO TP

SPAWN SCORCHED #15

SPAWN: UNWANTED VIOLENCE #1 (OF 2)

SPAWN: UNWANTED VIOLENCE #2 (OF 2)

UNDISCOVERED COUNTRY #23

VOYAGIS #4 (OF 5)

MARVEL COMICS

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #129 FACSIMILE EDITION

• First Punisher.

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #20

Story: Joe Kelly | Art: Terry Dodson & Rachel Dodson | Cover: John Romita Jr. | $3.99

Dark Web is over, but the effects will shake Spider-Man for a long time. To recover, Peter Parker and Felicia Hardy escape from the city to an exclusive spa upstate in AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #19-20! Surely, trouble won’t follow our Web-Head and ruin his romantic getaway. … Join guest creative team Joe Kelly and Terry Dodson for this special two-parter where Spidey and Black Cat take their next step and no one tries to kill them … yet.

• "Dark Web" appears to be over, but one of the fallouts appears to be that Mary Jane is now married, or at least co-habitating with, some guy named Paul and his two kids, who call her "Mom." So Parker and Black Cat are dating again. 
  • Since Black Cat and MJ are also teaming up in a miniseries, that's got to be awkward.

AVENGERS FOREVER VOL 2: PILLARS TP

AXE: JUDGMENT DAY COMPANION TP

AXE: JUDGMENT DAY TP

BETSY BRADDOCK: CAPTAIN BRITAIN #1

Story: Tini Howard | Art: Giorgiev, Vasco | Cover: Erica D'Urso | Teen+ | $4.99

THE CAPTAIN COMES HOME!

And she's got a whole new mission! With Otherworld settled, Braddock Manor restored, and her brother Captain Avalon at her side, you'd think things look pretty good for Betsy Braddock. Only it turns out, good ole Britain doesn't want her back. No one wants a mutant menace carrying the shield of Captain Britain, and Betsy's made more than a few enemies along her way. Quest-less and country-less, Betsy must define a role for herself. A fresh take on a beloved character, don't miss the latest Tini Howard extravaganza and fan-favorite artist Vasco Georgiev's Marvel debut!

• I've never been into this set of characters, and have always happily despised Otherworld. ("If anything can happen, I don't care what eventually does.") YMMV.

CARNAGE #10

DEADLY NEIGHBORHOOD SPIDER-MAN #5 (OF 5)

DEADPOOL #4

DOCTOR STRANGE FALL SUNRISE #4 (OF 4)

HULK: GRAND DESIGN TREASURY EDITION TP

IMMORAL X-MEN #1 (OF 3)

Story: Kieron Gillen | Art: Paco Medina | Cover: Leinil Francis Yu | Teen+ | $4.99

They said the mutants were humanity's future. It's 10 years later and they were proven to be right. The X-Men exist in a world that adores and respects them ... so why are they sworn to crush it?! But while they do, Emma can take a few minutes out to crush Mister Sinister.

• At last, an accurately named X-book!
  • I'm taking a break from the X-books. I'm probably going to switch to tradewaiting (and buy just those "events" that get good reviews). That's one way to avoid reading Betsy Braddock: Captain Britain. (See above)
  • This is a "Sins of Sinister" tie-in. There will be many.

MARVEL STUDIOS SHANG-CHI LEGEND TEN RINGS: ART OF MOVIE HC

MARVELS SNAPSHOTS TP

NAMOR SUB-MARINER EPIC COLLECTION: WHO STRIKES FOR ATLANTIS TP

PARKER/MILES: SPIDER-MAN — DOUBLE TROUBLE #4 (OF 4)

PLANET HULK: WORLDBREAKER #4 (OF 5)

PUNISHER: WAR JOURNAL BASE #1

Story: Torunn Gronbekk | Art: Djibril Morissette-Phan | Cover: Javier Rodriguez | Teen+ | $4.99

THE ORIGIN OF THE WAR JOURNAL!

Before he was the Punisher, Frank Castle was a husband, a father and a Marine. Not necessarily in that order. In this story from between the pages of PUNISHER, Frank tries to come home — but finds it impossible to leave the war behind him.

• Punisher begets Punisher War Journal begets Punisher War Journal Base. A spin-off of a spin-off! I'm looking forward to Young Punisher War Journal Base, the adventures of War Journal when it was a teenager!

SABRETOOTH AND EXILES #4 (OF 5)

SAVAGE AVENGERS #10

SHE-HULK #10

SPIDER-VERSE SPIDER-GEDDON OMNIBUS HC

STAR WARS: DOCTOR APHRA #29

STAR WARS: YODA #4

STRANGE ACADEMY: FINALS #4

THOR #31

TIGER DIVISION #4 (OF 5)

TRIALS OF X VOL 5 TP

MORE COMICS

ABOLITION OF MAN #5 (OF 5)

ACCURSED VAMPIRE VOL 2: CURSE AT WITCH CAMP GN

AMERICAN MYTHOLOGY MONSTERS VOL 3 #2

ARCHIE SHOWCASE DIGEST #12 ARCHIES & JOSIE AND PUSSYCATS

ASCENCIA #15

ATOM: THE BEGINNING VOLUME 3

Original Story: Osamu Tezuka | Script: Masami Yuuki |  Art/Cover: Tetsuro Kasahara | Titan Manga | 208pages | $12.99

Prequel to one of the most influential manga of all time: Astro Boy by Osamu Tezuka! Astro Boy has spawned multiple anime adaptations, video games and more!

A sci-fi manga about the turbulent lives of two robotics engineering students and their latest revolutionary project: the unassuming yet insanely strong A106, or "Six."

The mystery continues! After facing down Mars at the Robot Wrestling competition, our plucky heroes have continued to investigate the deadly robot’s enigmatic creator.

Dr. Lolo, tracing her whereabouts to a mysterious military instillation on an isolated island … what deadly terrors and buried secrets will they discover there?

Created by Masami Yuki and Tetsurō Kasahara, ATOM Volume 3 is the explosive continuation of the hit series, perfect for fans of Battle Angel Alita and Ghost in the Shell, filled with heart and humor and a lovable cast of characters!

• I didn't think Astro Boy needed a prequel. Shows what I know!

BACK TO FAIRTAYLIA #3 (OF 6)

BANSHEES #1 (OF 5)

Story: Dave Dwonch & Jessica Balboni | Art: Riccardo Faccini | Colors: DAM | Covers: Tim Daniel, Cachet Whitman | Editor: Jessica Balboni

Emily Edwards is beginning her college freshman year away from her family; a welcome change given the summer she has had. Her best friend Beth had committed suicide the summer before, and she has been secretly haunted by her memories for months. Moving away from her past seems like the best way to start anew. The future looks brighter once she meets her roommate, Abbey, and the two become fast friends. Abbey is everything that Emily needs in her life; Abbey is energetic, playful, sarcastic and the duo are seemingly aligned in their outlooks on life. They even have the same major: Psychology.

Abbey jokes with Emily about the rumors that their dormitory is haunted ... and the weirdness begins. Late one night, Emily is terrorized by the ghosts of three girls, sending her on a quest to find the truth. She dives deeply into the school’s past and discovers the hushed history of The Lion — a serial killer who took the lives of at least three female students from 1987 to 1991 before seemingly vanishing without a trace. Her investigations do not go unnoticed, drawing the killer out of "retirement." Now, Emily must convince the ghosts of The Lion's victims to bring him to justice — lest his killing spree continues!

It's Jennifer's Body meets Stand by Me as the ghosts of four female college students team up to exact revenge on the serial killer that murdered them. But first they must discover the killer’s identity, and the shocking truth behind their deaths.

Writer Dave Dwonch. "Banshees is everything I love about comics; a coming-of-age story that blends horror, mystery and crime noir in ways I haven't seen done yet. I can't thank Scout enough for believing in the work, and I'm beyond stoked to be a part of the Scout family. Buckle up for a wild ride, folks!" 

Writer/Editor Jessica Baboni: "Bringing Banshees to Scout Comics is really exciting for me, personally. This being my first printed work and coming from the retail side of things, I was overjoyed when Scout picked us up. I love that they have been so supportive of horror. I'm a huge horror fan and can't wait to show my love of genre to the world."

Artist Skinner: "Banshees is the perfect book to read as fall comes creeping in. Jessica and Dave's writing starts in a charmingly unsuspecting fashion and then immediately expands in a rich spectrum of horror, lovable characters, new supernatural concepts and enough twists and turns to keep you there until the thoughtful end! The art by Riccardo Faccini is a perfect match, visually enriching the tale! Dynamic, spooky clarity just how I like! I'm all in on BANSHEES!"

• At last, Sean and Theresa Cassidy get their own series! Wait, what? Never mind.
  • At last, Padraic and Colm of Inisherin get their own series! Wait, what? Never mind.

BARBARIC HELL TO PAY #2

BEAR WORDLESS GN

Story/Art: Staffan Gnosspelius | Seven Stories Press | $19.95

Bear, Staffan Gnosspelius's debut book, is a gorgeous visual meditation on depression. In this deeply affecting, wordless picture book for adults, a bear is maddeningly afflicted with a cone that covers his head and that he is unable to take off. He furiously stomps and yells and tears at the cone, he implores the skies and fate for relief, he is drawn to dark and wild and scary places. The depths of his sadness feel like a defeat. It's a battle he wages until he's mentally and physically exhausted. Then, one day, Bear hears notes of music, the humming of a friendly hare. The hare hovers nearby, concerned, sometimes driven away by Bear's frustration and anger, more often staying close and gently offering support.

• At first blush, I thought this was a kids' book, but there's nothing childish about depression. Finally, a "disease book" I can relate to!

BECOMING FRANKENSTEIN #6

BIG ETHEL ENERGY VOL 2 TP

BIG NATE NAILED IT TP

BLADE RUNNER: BLACK LOTUS: LEAVING L.A.

Story: Nancy Collins | Art: Enid Balam | Junggeun Yoon | Titan | 112 pages | $17.99

Based on the all-new acclaimed Anime series Black Lotus. This officially sanctioned graphic novel heralds an all-new saga in the Blade Runner franchise, one whose ramifications will ripple throughout the Blade Runner universe.

It's 2032, just after the events seen in Blade Runner: Black Lotus and Elle, aka The Black Lotus Killer, is still wanted for murder by the LAPD, as well as even more powerful and dangerous interests in Los Angeles. Escaping Los Angeles on a homebuilt Spinner-bike, Elle heads out for parts unknown like a cyberpunk Easy Rider, hoping to forge a new life free of the cruelty, violence and false memories that have so far defined and guided her reality and find answers to her mysterious origin.

Continuing the Blade Runner: Black Lotus anime series, prototype Replicant Elle — the Black Lotus killer — has escaped from the clutches of her creator Niander Wallace and headed out into the desert in search of answers to her mysterious past and a possible redemption.

“Eclipsing its animated series source both aesthetically and dramatically, this is the Blade Runner comic we didn’t know we wanted, but certainly deserve.” — Sci-Fi Bulletin

• I've missed reading too many Blade Runner books, and now can't keep the various eras/storylines/characters straight in my head. As they say, I've "lost the plot." But I want to know! Maybe I'll catch up in collected form.

BOOGYMAN #6

BOOK OF SHADOWS #4

Story: Cullen Bunn | Art: Vicente Cifuentes | Colors: Nick Filardi | Letters: Dave Sharpe | Covers: Rafael Albuquerque, Civente Cifuentes, Travis Escarfullery, Kelley Jones | 32 pages | Teen+ | $3.99

As Exarch Fane’s horde of beasts and vampires work to complete their Ritual of Sacrifi ce, the supernatural heroes of the Valiant Universe — Shadowman, Punk Mambo, Dr. Mirage, the Eternal Warrior, and Persephone — make their last stand. But in order to save the rest of the universe, must our world die?

BULLS OF BEACON HILL #2

CHANGELINGS #1 (OF 7)

Story: Kevin VanHook | Art/Cover: Rahmat Handoko, Sakti Yuwono
 Visi8 | $3.99

Changelings tells the story of a demon named Arga who must match wits and strength against Durjana, a human raised by spirits in a dark and desolate world. In this first issue, Durjana sends a giant Kaiju to attack the city of Jakarta, Indonesia, and Arga must travel there to stop its swath of destruction.

• Visi8 Entertainment is, as you might guess, based in Jakarta.

CIH PRESENTS CANCEL AMERICA COMICS ONE-SHOT

COINS OF JUDAS #2 (OF 2)

DAMN THEM ALL #5 (OF 6)

DUNE: HOUSE HARKONNEN #2 (OF 12)

ENDLESS SPACE 2 STORIES GN

Story: Jeff Spock, Jeremy Sim | Art: Yoon Seong Park, Denis Medri, Max Raynor, Oliver Moreno | Titan Comics | 144 pages |  $19.99

For the first time ever, the Endless Space 2 Stories — from the space opera smash-hit videogame endless space 2 — have been collected into a complete volume!

Set in the world of the hugely popular sci-fi strategy game Endless Space 2, come eight brilliant tales. Follow the game's factions as they grapple for power in a fractured galaxy - from the peaceful, tech-curious Sophons, to the resilient, nomadic Vaulters. In the Endless universe, discover the heart amongst the stars with a variety of stories told from an empire-wide point of view, right down to how an ordinary (or extraordinary) day in the life of somebody, somewhere, can have an astronomical impact.

• Sometimes I feel like I've missed out being born too late for the video game era. But then I think, "Nah, I wasted a sufficient time doing other dumb things when I was growing up."

EVERYTHING SUCKS: ALL CATS GO TO HELL ONE-SHOT

Michael Sweater | Silver Sprocket | $4.99

Everyone loves cats, but Noah knows the truth: they’re maliciously smart, can’t be trusted, and may actually understand how deadbolts work. Honestly, he really shouldn’t be left alone with them.

Michael Sweater combines ‘90s animation nostalgia, sitcom antics and a seasoning of stoner comedy in this hilarious new comic.

• When I lived in Florida, I had a roommate who got a cat against my often-expressed, vehement objections. Naturally, the cat adored me and hated him.

FAITHLESS III VOL 3 TP

FIRST TIME FOR EVERYTHING GN

FIRSTBORNS #3 (OF 4)

FOREVER FORWARD #5 (OF 5)

FRANK MILLER’S RONIN BOOK TWO #2 (OF 6)

GODDESS GIRLS VOL 4: ARTEMIS THE BRAVE GN

GODFELL #1

Story: Christopher Sebela | Art: Ben Hennessy | Colors: Triona Farrell & Vittorio Astone | Letters: Jim Campbell | Covers: Ben Hennessy, Nathan Gooden

Synopsis: One sunny day in the land of Kerethim, God falls dead from the sky. The impact sends out shockwaves that draw in royal families at war, shadowy creatures of the dark, and armies of the dispossessed, all coming to lay claim to parts of God's body. Into this power struggle wanders Zanzi Vuiline, a soldier and berserker trying to get home from a years-long war. Forced to fight her way through the strange landscapes in and on God's corpse, from the soles of its feet through the top of its head, Zanzi will acquire a mysterious traveling companion on her own pilgrimage.

GODFELL takes place in the high-fantasy land of Kerethim where one sunny day, God falls dead from the sky. The impact sends out shockwaves that draw in royal families at war, shadowy creatures of the dark, and armies of the dispossessed, all coming to lay claim to parts of God's body. Into this power struggle wanders Zanzi Vuiline, a soldier and berserker trying to get home from a years-long war. Forced to fight her way through the strange landscapes in and on God's corpse, from the soles of its feet through the top of its head, Zanzi will acquire a mysterious traveling companion on her own pilgrimage. GODFELL is co-created by writer Christopher Sebela and artist Ben Hennessy, with colors by Triona Farrell & Vitorio Astone, letters by Jim Campbell, and design by Tim Daniel. 

• Now I've got "Day by Day" from Godspell stuck in my head.
  • Here's a preview.

GRIMM FAIRY TALES #69

HAMMERFALL #2 (OF 3)

HEROES IN TRAINING VOL 4: HYPERION & GREAT BALLS OF FIRE GN

IRMINA GN

JODOROWSKY LIBRARY: WHITE LAMA MAGICAL TWINS HC

• I've been collecting these, but God knows when I'll get to read them. I expect to be mystified half the time, even when I do.

JUSTICE WARRIORS TP

• Heads up, Ahoy fans!

KARA: GUARDIAN OF REALMS #1 (OF 11)

Story: Triandhika Anjani | Art/Cover: Triandhika Anjani, Fairuz Athoriq | Visi8 | $3.99

Kara, the young Guardian of the Unseen Realm, goes on her duty to care for the creatures in the land, when she accidentally meets a lonely fennec cat called Luna whose life is being threatened by a giant beast. Kara saves Luna with her magic flute, and decides to take Luna in with her, not knowing that two time travelers from the future have just arrived in her realm.

• Visi8 strikes again!

KNIGHTS OF THE DINNER TABLE #301

KODT BUNDLE OF TROUBLE VOL 73 TP

LIQUID KILL #1 (OF 6)

Story: Max Hoven, Aaron Crow | Art: Gabriel Iumazark | Cover: Toni Infante | Whatnot Publishing | $3.99

Barcelona-based illustrator and cover artist Toni Infante (Marvel, DC, Boom) joins Whatnot Publishing with the launch of Liquid Kill.

LIQUID KILL follows sadist-slaughtering vigilantes as they encounter pure evil in a blood-soaked cyberpunk future (à la GHOST IN THE SHELL meets JOHN WICK) written by the creators of the critically-acclaimed series IT EATS WHAT FEEDS IT and artist Gabriel Iumazark (Boom! Studios).

For the staff and clientele of a mysterious island hotel, it's just another night of luxury and vice until members of Liquid Kill (a notoriously violent, all-female militia), lay siege. Demanding compliance or death as they gather intelligence, the adrenaline quickly floods the halls as the team eliminates all threats with ease in their search for their kidnapped leader. That is until something is unleashed... something hungry.

If there's anyone prepared for the evils on the island, it's these fearless killers, but when the undaunted begin to falter, their foe must be truly monstrous.

MMPR TMNT II #3 (OF 5)

MORIARTY: CLOCKWORK EMPIRE #1

Story: Fred Duval & Jean-Pierre Pécau | Art: Stevan Subic | Covers: Lenka Simeckova, Andrea Alimpieri, Stevan Subric | Letterer: Lauren Bowes | Titan Comics | 48 pages | $4.99

In a London opium den, a monster is killed by the police with seven bullets to the body. At the Diogenes club, an investigator and his partner thwart the Machiavellian plans of a card-playing automaton, and that evening the monster's alter ego will come out of the hospital unscathed … and HOLMES AND WATSON are on the case!

• Here are 7 Facts About Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's 'The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes' from Mental Floss that I found amusing. The best one is that Sherlock Holmes is the most-portrayed human literary character. The qualifier "human" is in there, because Holmes is beat out as the most-portrayed literary character by Dracula. 
  • The upcoming Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened video game, by Ukrainian company Frogwares, has been delayed by the war. Reality will have its way, even in our little fantasy hobby.

MUERTANA #2

MY BAD VOL 2 #4 (OF 5) (MR)    $4.99

NATURES LABYRINTH #4 (OF 6)

NINJA FUNK #4 (OF 4)

NOMADD CITY OF EMPTY TOWERS TP

ONCE UPON A TIME AT END OF WORLD #4

ONCE OUR LAND COMPLETE TP

PHANTASMAGORIA #5

PINK LEMONADE #6

PROJECT NOUGHT GN

PROSPECTS #3

PURPLE OBLIVION #4 (OF 4)

RICK & MORTY CRISIS ON C 137 #4

RICK AND MORTY #2

RITUALS ONE-SHOT

ROCK & ROLL BIOGRAPHIES 2NE1

Story: Michael Aushenker | Art: Dapit | Cover: Queenie Chan | Acme Ink | $3.50

Before BTS and Blackpink, iconic girl group 2NE1 took the K-Pop industry by storm with their unique blend of pop, rap, reggae, and other genres. See the rise of CL, Dara, Bom, and Minzy as they produce hit after hit with uber-producer Teddy Park. Will they stay on top or will the stress of being number one tear them apart from the inside? For the first time in American comics, the legendary ladies of Korean pop music invite you into their world. See how this quartet lived up to the title of their biggest hit, "I Am the Best"!

• Sometimes I wonder if I was growing up today if I'd be into music or comics like this. Then I realize that if I was growing up today I'd have to go through high school again, and I quietly set those thoughts aside.

SNOW WHITE: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE #1 (OF 5)

Story: Brenton Lengel | Art/Cover: Hyeondo Park | Scout | $4.99

Snow White awakens to True Love's kiss ... 28 days later. Shoulder to shoulder with his tough-as-nails paramour Rapunzel, the lovable-but-philandering Prince Charming braves the darkness of Snow White's enchanted forest in a desperate bid for survival. But how long can the pair hold out as the denizens of Grimm's Fairy Tales rise from their graves to devour the flesh of the living? A twice Ringo Award-nominated dark fantasy series.

• So ... Snow White is a zombie? I'm confused.

SOMETHING IS KILLING THE CHILDREN #29

SPECS #4 (OF 4)

SQUARRIORS OVERSIZED HC (NEW PTG) VOL 01

TAROT WITCH OF THE BLACK ROSE #138

THREE STOOGES CURLY CELEBRATION

• I celebrate Curly every day, in my own way. Woo-woo-woo!

THUD DOUBLE VISION MAGAZINE #4

TOWER #1 (OF 5)

Story: Kelsey Barnhart, Camrus Johnson | Art: ChrisCross (CA) CrissCross, Andrew Dalhouse | A Wave Blue World | $4.99

Real-life contestants battle it out in a video game-style competition to reach the top of the Tower! Casandra, Kimi, and Mac are thrust into a brutal (and seemingly virtual) world where danger lies in wait around every corner. With no time to solve the mystery of where they are or why they're here, they'll have to smarten up and join forces if they intend to survive, using their individualized weapons and animal assistants to outsmart deadly traps and ambushes. But loyalties will be tested, as only one (or one team!) can become the ultimate champion!

TRIDENT OF AURELIA #1

Story: Lee Moyer | Art: Melissa Spandri | Art/Cover: Lee Moyer | Battle Quest Comics | $4.99

From the mind of two-time 2022 Hugo Award-winning Lee Moyer comes a new fantasy-adventure that takes place below the sea. A long-abandoned trident calls out to a drowning woman named Orianna. As she grabs the trident, Orianna's life-and the lives of those both above and below the waves-will change ... forever!

UNWANTED #3

THE UNWANTED HC

The Mastermen called it a "census," but it was so much more. If its citizens proved worthy, the Earth would join the interstellar confederation and reap the benefits of advanced alien technology, food, medicine, and educational resources the likes of which could scarcely be imagined.

But first, there was the question of race ...

Uncannily perceptive and prescient when it was written in 1953, EC writer Otto Binder's The Unwanted went unsold for more than a decade until he finally gave it to a fanzine publisher who promptly got out of the fanzine business — and so it languished, unread, in a yellowing file folder for decades.

Never before published and now unearthed, The Unwanted is Binder's response to the 1950s McCarthy era, couched in metaphorical science fiction terms. Fantagraphics Underground Press ushers in this previously unknown mini-masterpiece by the writer of Captain Marvel, Superman, Captain America, and the "human" robot, Adam Link. Illustrated by EC artist Angelo Torres and his international collaborator Stefan Koidl, this edition pays homage to Binder's comics career. The result is a stunning tribute to Binder's lifelong commitment to comics and prose.

An unbelievable journey, unavailable no longer.

• So, Otto Binder had hidden depths!

USAGI YOJIMBO SPECIAL EDITION HC

VAMPIRE MACABRE NOSFERATU ONE-SHOT

VIGIA #2 (OF 5)

VINEYARD #4

WALT DISNEY'S DONALD DUCK: DONALD'S HAPPIEST ADVENTURES

Lewis Trondheim and Nicolas Kéramidas | Fantagraphics | 48 pages | $16.99

When Donald grouses that money will never buy Uncle Scrooge happiness, Scrooge snaps — and sets Donald on a treasure hunt for happiness itself. A terrible task for an unlucky Duck … or is it? With help from Professor Ludwig Von Drake, deep in the cranky kingdom of Brutopia — the impossible may be possible!

Presented as a "lost" 1960s Disney story — complete with retro-style color — Donald's Happiest Adventures bristles with wit in the Carl Barks tradition …  and bustles with the whole Disney comics cast, including friends and rivals Gladstone Gander, Mickey Mouse, and Pegleg Pete!

WORLD OF ARCHIE JUMBO COMICS DIGEST #127

YEAR ZERO VOL 0 #5 (OF 5)

MORE MANGA

ASSORTED ENTANGLEMENTS VOL 1 GN

BLUE LOCK VOL 5 GN

BUNGO STRAY DOGS DEAD APPLE VOL 2 GN

CALL TO ADV DEFEATING DUNGEONS WITH SKILL BOARD VOL 5 GN

CHOUJIN X VOL 1 GN

CLASSROOM OF ELITE VOL 5 GN

CROSS DRESSING VILLAINESS CECILIA SYLVIE VOL 3 GN

CROSSPLAY LOVE OTAKU X PUNK VOL 3 GN

DEATH MARCH PARALLEL WORLD RHAPSODY VOL 13 GN

DETECTIVE IS ALREADY DEAD VOL 4 GN

FINAL FANTASY LOST STRANGER VOL 8 GN

FIRE FORCE VOL 31 GN

FLOWER THAT SEEMS TO TRULY DANCE GN

FLYING WITCH VOL 11 GN

FUTARI ESCAPE VOL 2 GN

GO GO LOSER RANGER VOL 3 GN

GOLDEN KAMUY VOL 28 GN

GRAND BLUE DREAMING VOL 18 GN

GREAT CLERIC VOL 1 GN

HAYATE COMBAT BUTLER VOL 41 GN

HINOWA GA CRUSH VOL 7 GN

HOLY GRAIL OF ERIS VOL 3 GN

A HOME FAR AWAY GN

I THINK I TURNED MY FRIEND INTO A GIRL VOL 2 GN

KEMONO JIHEN VOL 4 GN

LAST GENDER VOL 2 GN

MERMAID SCALES & TOWN SAND GN

MINT CHOCOLATE VOL 7 GN

MISS MIYAZEN WOULD LOVE TO GET CLOSER TO YOU VOL 3 GN

MISSION YOZAKURA FAMILY VOL 3 GN

NANA & KAORU VOL 2 GN

NEVER SATISFIED VOL 1 GN

PRINCESS CONVENIENT PLOT DEVICES VOL 1 GN

RE ZERO SLIAW CHAPTER 4 VOL 5 GN

REIGN OF THE SEVEN SPELLBLADES VOL 5 GN

REINCARNATED AS A SWORD ANOTHER WISH VOL 3 GN

ROOSTER FIGHTER VOL 3 GN

RUN AWAY WITH ME GIRL GN VOL 2 GN

SASAKI & MIYANO VOL 7 GN

SCHOOL LIVE LETTERS GN

SCRAMBLUES GN

SHANGRI LA FRONTIER VOL 4 GN

SNAKE WHO LOVED A SPARROW GN

SOTUS VOL 1 GN

SWEET POOLSIDE GN

TIME STOP HERO VOL 6 GN

TOILET BOUND HANAKO KUN VOL 17 GN

TWIN STAR EXORCISTS ONMYOJI VOL 27

UNCLE FROM ANOTHER WORLD VOL 6 GN

UNNAMED MEMORY VOL 2 GN

VILLAINS ARE DESTINED TO DIE VOL 2 GN

WAY OF THE HOUSEHUSBAND VOL 9 GN

WOLF NEVER SLEEPS VOL 3 GN

WORLD STRONGEST REARGUARD LABYRINTH NOVICE VOL 5 GN

WORLD’S FINEST ASSASSIN REINCARNATED ANOTHER WORLD VOL 4 GN

ZOM 100 BUCKETLIST OF DEAD VOL 9 GN.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• "Dark Horse Books and Mike Baron team up once again to bring you Nexus: Nefarious."

"Team up once again"? What's this referring to?

"Now that I see Nexus stories without Steve Rude, I realize that Steve Rude was why I was reading Nexus."

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but Steve Rude Nexus without Mike Baron is pretty sucky.

"So who knows Superman is Clark Kent now?"

That sounds about right (what you said). The point is, "Captain America Superman has a secret identity once more!" After Captain revealed he was Steve rogers way back when, and Jim Steranko tried to put the genie back in the bottle it didn't quite work. then, when Steve Englehart applied the "Space Phantom" patch, that didn't quite work, either, but the recent Superman "retcon" did. That's why I was initially so exited about it... until Captain Comics dashed cold water on my enthusiasm by pointing out how long such a revision is likely to last. (jk) The practical upshot is that Superman has a secret identity once more (and we don't have to worry about anyone finding out, ever)... enjoy it while you can. 

"Dark Web" appears to be over...

I stopped reading when the regular team of J.R., Jr. and Zeb Wells (?) took a break, and I may or may not start again when they return. Depends on how heavy the week is, but this doesn't appear to be it. the whole Peter/Mary Jane thing is not fall-out from "Dark Web" though; that's been around since the "new number one." From what I gather (from advance solicitations), that situation will soon be dealt with and resolved.

"I'm taking a break from the X-books."

I've been on such a break for nearly 30 years now (except for Grant Morrison's New X-Men and Whedon and Cassiday's Astonishing X-Men... maybe a few others) and I haven't regretted it. The last X-Men I read (besides random issues of X-Men Legends that appealed to me) was that whole Moira MacTaggart thing that probably soured me on the X-Men for life. 

"I didn't think Astro Boy needed a prequel."

You're right: Astro Boy doesn't need a prequel.

WALT DISNEY'S DONALD DUCK: DONALD'S HAPPIEST ADVENTURES

This is why Carl Barks was known as "The Good Artist."

• I forget where  we discussed this - whether here or on FB, but I feel that the League and the Titans should know, and probably the Society, too.  I can't imagine that anything that Luthor could do could affect the Spectre or Fate or probably not even Zatanna.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

"So who knows Superman is Clark Kent now?"

• "Team up once again"? What's this referring to?

I assume they mean the original Nexus, which Mike Baron wrote and Dark Horse published. Of course, they're leaving out Steve Rude, which -- as I noted earlier -- is what I consider the only valid element of Nexus. Mike Baron (whose career has been on the skids since Nexus) and Dark Horse (a corporation) are selling this book on the laurels of the original run of Nexus, without mentioning the differences. Like on a movie poster, where it says "From the people (producers) who brought you [X}, here is [Y}!" When there is a ton of difference between X and Y.

Which you know, Jeff. You just wanted someone else to say it.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but Steve Rude Nexus without Mike Baron is pretty sucky.

I have an argument to make here, if you'll bear with me on this.

There were a number of writers in the 1990s or so who were sold to readers (so I assume they sold themselves to publishers this way) as the new, hip thing. I'm old enough to remember, throughout my fanboy life, a lot of writers of both comics and prose who have done that, who without fail make a brief splash and then disappear. Sure, they get a job as the guy who "gets the kids." But then they keep getting older, and unless they establish something beyond "new, hip guy," they disappear. Because there's always a new, hip guy right behind them. They need to have depth and talent, not just being young enough to know current slang, to last.

In '90s comics, as I remember, there was a clutch of these. I remember it distinctly. Maybe it's because the '90s was where I was old and wizened enough to notice this happening. Or maybe it was because the '90s was the first time that "Image" could first oversell content in comics, an industry that had been on life support for three decades and had always played it safe. But at any rate, I remember thinking of a whole bunch of creators, "Man, this guy isn't gonna make it. He's playing the 'new, hip guy' card, which is fine, but apparently that's the only card he has. He's toast. "

There were three writers I distinctly remember doing a mental thumbs down on, and they are all gone. One was Chuck Austin. Another was a guy who did atrocious things, like Austin's cunnilingus scene,  because he was "pushing the envelope." And they were awful. 

But they were hip! They were cool! They were NOW! 

And now they're gone.

The third was Mike Baron. Outside of Nexus, all he did was "look at me, I'm hip" comics that didn't make a splash. Anybody remember Sonic Disruptors? That was Mike Baron. Badger? A good idea, and a good first miniseries, but a concept without legs. 

And now Mike Baron isn't remotely young or hip. He's still writing comics, but I'm not inclined to read them. (I have read some, and don't plan to read any more.) And there's my point. Maybe you think Nexus without Baron isn't as good as Nexus with Baron. But are either worth reading without Steve Rude? What really made that book special enough that we remember it? Is Mike Baron really that necessary for ... well, anything?

The practical upshot is that Superman has a secret identity once more (and we don't have to worry about anyone finding out, ever) ... enjoy it while you can.

My presentation was predicated on the idea that this was the second time that Superman revealed his ID to the world as a matter of canon that was dealt with in all DC comics for a while. 

I've been on such a break for nearly 30 years now (except for Grant Morrison's New X-Men and Whedon and Cassiday's Astonishing X-Men... maybe a few others) and I haven't regretted it. The last X-Men I read (besides random issues of X-Men Legends that appealed to me) was that whole Moira MacTaggart thing that probably soured me on the X-Men for life.

Fair play.

I read the X-books you mention because they fell into my "buy everything" period that ended in 2010. I enjoyed them, but didn't think I was really reading anything new, or would become new. (Sorry, Grant Morrison.)

The Krakoa thing struck me as something that was really changing the status quo hard (unlike Morrison), and while I knew the Marvel U would get back to the status quo eventually (which Morrison never left), it was such a systemic change that I thought it would take a LOT of unwinding to get there. I thought that would be a fun ride, so I played my E-ticket and took it.

I have since bailed, because the fundamental flaws of the premise are getting harder for me to overlook. This is not a suspension of disbelief problem, it's a systemic one. "Systems change" is what Hickman does, and he's done the high-wire act here for a while. And well done! I've enjoyed what I've read so far.

But I see the collapse coming, the status quo returning. Hickman's stories run long -- literally years -- but this one's coming to an end. The fun part -- the upslope of the bell curve -- is over, and we're over the top and heading down. Eventually we'll hit bottom, and the pre-Hickman status quo will return.

I just don't want to read those books.

You're right: Astro Boy doesn't need a prequel.

Thank you, my friend.

This is why Carl Barks was known as "The Good Artist."

NBM used to send me all of Lewis Trondheim's books. I read the first, didn't like it, threw the rest in the corner. I certainly wasn't going to read his desecration of the work of Carl Barks.

I forget where  we discussed this - whether here or on FB, but I feel that the League and the Titans should know, and probably the Society, too.  I can't imagine that anything that Luthor could do could affect the Spectre or Fate or probably not even Zatanna.

I don't remember such a discussion, but never you mind. I agree.

• "Maybe you think Nexus without Baron isn't as good as Nexus with Baron. But are either worth reading without Steve Rude?"

I do not know. I've never read Baron Nexus without Rude.* I'll let you know.

*Not recently, anyway. Steve Rude is notoriously slow and, back in the First Comics days, guest artists were regularly substituted, like, four issues out of twelve or something like that. And, yes, the plots did progress along "writerly" lines. I never did think of Baron as a "hip, young writer" in the way you are using the term. I do remember him as writing the most convincing women characters (in comics) of the time. 

I didn't read Sonic Disruptors but I did read his Flash and Punisher. I read the Punisher only because he was writing it, but I didn't (and don't) care for the character. but, I admit, his Flash didn't appeal to me all that much, either. Personally, I don't think he's suited for the mainstream. I have a much higher opinion of Badger than you do, but we'll chalk that up to "horseraces." Mike Baron's comics were often philosophical, and two of them (one issue of Badger and one of Nexus) changed my outlook on life

Rude, OTOH, while among the best comic book artists ever (IMO), simply cannot write. (I will leave it there for now but I am prepared to provide examples.)

"My presentation was predicated on the idea that this was the second time that Superman revealed his ID to the world as a matter of canon that was dealt with in all DC comics for a while."

Yes, but that's not what this is. This is the "Space Phantom" done right. Having said that, I'm not nearly as excited about this "Superman #1" as I was the 1986 one. I'll try it but I don't expect to stick around for long.

"(Sorry, Grant Morrison.)"

I have re-read Grant Morrison's X-Men only once since it's original release, but I remember liking it both times. I'm content to chalk this one up to "horseraces" as well. I never did finish the Whedon/Cassiday run, not because I wasn't enjoying it, but because [of other factors]. And this is neither here not there, but my best friend from high school's name is Jon Hickman and he knows I read comic books. One day he asked me, "Do you know of a comic book writer named 'Jonathan Hickman'?" Turns out they had been getting each other's e-mails and struck up an acquaintance. 

• The decision to make Lex Luthor decide to restore Kal-El's secret identity is odd to me. 

IMO it goes too much against the grain of what Superman stories are supposed to be.  Having Superman owe significant amounts of his peace of mind and insights to Luthor just doesn't play to either character's strengths.

Having Manchester Black of all people sacrifice his life for that purpose (albeit involuntarily) only compounds the issue.

Me, I am hoping these tensions become plot points and receive some resolution in the next year or so.

• SPOILERS for recent "Superman" developments.

Before moving forward with this week's comics, I feel the need to clarify some things here. 

"My presentation was predicated on the idea that this was the second time that Superman revealed his ID to the world as a matter of canon that was dealt with in all DC comics for a while."

To be clear, it is not that fact that Lex Luthor now considers himself to be Superman's ally that I find interesting; it is the means by which Luthor made his identity secret once again. No, not even that, but the way it is presented.

To use the example of Captain America once again... Stan Lee had Captain America reveal to the world that he was Steve Rogers. Jim Steranko reversed it by (falsely) "revealing" that Steve Rogers was a false identity. Then Steve Englehart grafted on the idea that the real reason his plan succeeded was due to some behind-the-scenes manipulation by the Space Phantom. But even that didn't account for newspaper articles, television reporting and the like. Then (on a letters page, I think) it was revealed ex post facto that whatever the Space Phantom did affected those media as well. 

But in Superman's case, those reports still exist, it's just that the method used by Luthor causes the mind to reject any evidence to the contrary. As Batman explains: "It's not just that people have forgotten who you are. the suggestion is so strong that it extends to any images or other media people see. If it contradicts what their mind is telling them, they reject it." As Luthor puts it: "If anyone knows your secret identity now... it could kill them."

It's not just the idea, it's the way it was presented. Perry White had been invited to dinner at the Kent family farm. When he met (the younger) Superman's boyfriend, he knew who he was, but couldn't figure out what he was doing there or how he knew the Kents. Then the two Supermen arrive in costume and Perry reacts with such confusion when presented with the fact that Clark Kent is superman that he has a stroke. 

"I feel that the League and the Titans should know, and probably the Society, too."

BATMAN: "The justice League, reservists, and the Titans all have psychic defenses set up by Martian Manhunter."

NIGHTWING: Your parents, Jay, and Lois were protected by the shield we established around the farm.

BATMAN: But everyone else on the planet no longer recognizes the identities of the Supermen.

"The decision to make Lex Luthor decide to restore Kal-El's secret identity is odd to me."

LUTHOR: "When you and I were in Smallville together... I was so alone... I felt like there was no one in the universe who could understand what I was going through. And you lied. You hid who you really were... that you were also alone... an outsider... when you could have HELPED ME. For years. And instead, you gave your identity to them! And if I wasn't good enough for the truth... no one is."

I think that fits with Luthor's egotistical nature. I do not expect this status quo to last. 

This reply was deleted.