Go HERE for the full list

TOP 5 PUBLISHERS

MARVEL COMICS

"Fall of X" continues in ASTONISHING ICEMAN #3, CHILDREN OF THE VAULT #3 and INVINCIBLE IRON MAN #11.

The Vision guest stars in AVENGERS INC. #2.

"Dark Droids" continues in STAR WARS #39.

SENSATIONAL SHE-HULK #1

12253782463?profile=RESIZE_400x12253782486?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story: Rainbow Rowell & Jessica Gao | Art: Andrés Genolet & Tba | Cover: Jen Bartel | Variants: Adi Granov , Gisèle Lagacé, Leirix, Skottie Young, Lucas Werneck, Mirka Andolfo, Rian Gonzales, Adam Hughes | 40 pages | Teen+ | $4.99

Writer Rainbow Rowell and Andrés Genolet’s Eisner-nominated work on SHE-HULK continues this October in SENSATIONAL SHE-HULK #1! Throughout their smash hit run, the creative team has shaken up Jennifer Walters’ life in bold ways with a new love interest in Jack of Hearts, new villains like Scoundrel, and some of the craziest cases a Marvel Universe courtroom has ever seen! Now, the lawyer/super hero will dust off her signature adjective and embark on an exciting new era packed with bigger challenges, deadlier villains, and hotter guest stars! Throughout the opening issues of the series, she’ll come face to face with her cousin, THE INCREDIBLE HULK; come into conflict with new threat called ANATHEMA; and try to prevent an intergalactic war when her and Jack’s romantic space getaway goes horribly wrong!

Like other highly-anticipated Marvel Comics launches, SENSATIONAL SHE-HULK #1 will sport a stunning FOIL VARIANT COVER, this one coming from acclaimed artist Adam Hughes. The mega-popular cover artist depicts She-Hulk giving her gorgeous green muscles a much-deserved rest before her unmatched strength is needed once again!

“For me, the word ‘sensational’ brings to mind John Byrne's run on the original Sensational She-Hulk,” Rowell told Newsarama in an exclusive interview. “We've definitely been inspired by the character-first focus of that book, with Jen front and center and sparkling, the star of the show.”

• This book has the most variant covers, so it must be Marvel's top book of the week!
  • I do like the Adam Hughes cover (I'm sure you can pick it out), but the throwback one above throws me — I get it that the gals are all wearing older outfits, but whil e it's usually the character's first one, it isn't always. They are: The Wasp, first outfit, 1963; Black Widow, third outfit (if you count evening clothes), 1970; She-Hulk, A-Force variant, 2015; Ms. Marvel, first outfit plus blue leotards, 1977; Photon (as Captain Marvel II), first outfit, 1977. Dealer's choice, I guess.
  • I was never crazy about Jack of Hearts. Not only is his playing-card ensemble too busy, but a guy named Jack Hart becoming the Jack of Hearts is a bit too on the nose.

12219601084?profile=RESIZE_180x18012253783081?profile=RESIZE_180x18012253783089?profile=RESIZE_180x180

12253783458?profile=RESIZE_180x18012253783852?profile=RESIZE_180x18012253783696?profile=RESIZE_180x180

CRYPT OF SHADOWS #1 (ONE-SHOT)

12158434297?profile=RESIZE_400x12253781098?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story: Al Ewing, Sarah Gailey, Steve Orlando, Cavan Scott, Declan Shalvey | Art: Paul Azaceta, Alex Lins, Eder Messias, Devmalya Pramanik & More! | Cover: Leinil Francis  Yu, Björn Barends, Paul Azaceta | 40 pages | Teen+ | $4.99

This October, take another frightening journey through the shadows of the Marvel Universe in CRYPT OF SHADOWS #1! The hit one-shot is back for another year of tales starring some of the spookiest characters comics has to offer. The crypt will be re-opened and the creatures, monsters and ghouls of the Marvel Universe will emerge in this collection of terrifying and easily accessible stories that will haunt new fans and longtime readers alike this Halloween season!

Once more, as All Hallows’ Eve draws nigh, the dust-covered slab that seals shut the crypt, blocking out the sun and casting it forever in shadow, has creaked open to let the darkness loose to prey on the Marvel Universe! Be they mercenary or mage, guided by law or by rage, our heroes will face their terror, and they’d best pray their spines are sturdy enough for the job …or the crypt they find may well be their own! Read on if you dare to discover what awaits in this year’s CRYPT OF SHADOWS #1:

• Victor Strange, younger brother of Doctor Strange, goes deeper than ever into the crypt as he once again plays host to the frightful festivities in a framing story by writer Al Ewing and artist Paul Davidson.
  • Writer Cavan Scott and artist Devmalya Pramanik present a devilishly delightful Deadpool story that features the classic horror character the Living Mummy and sets him up for an exciting new status quo!
  • Current Scarlet Witch scribe Steve Orlando and artist Paul Azaceta are telling a Scarlet Witch story where she faces a terrifying new villain called the Bricklayer!
  • Writer Sarah Gailey and artist Eder Messias explore “man vs. monster” in a tale starring Werewolf by Night and the Hulk!
  • The swamp creature who burns all who know fear battles alongside the man without fear! See Daredevil and Man-Thing team up for a spine-tingling adventure from writer Declan Shalvey and artist Alex Lins.

REOPENING THE CRYPT!

• I like this concept, since it gives characters like N'Kantu a chance for a little exposure.
  • Speaking of the Living Mummy, growing up I pronounced his name Nuh-Can-Too. I learned from the Black Panther movie how M'Baku was properly pronounced (Em-Back-Oo). So now I'm thinking the Mummy's name is pronounced En-Kan-Too — making it a pun on "incantation" or "enchant." The more you know.
  • Victor Strange is playing Crypt-Keeper, I see. Is he still dead? I'd be surprised if he is. As a vampire, he's by definition the sort who doesn't stay in his grave.

MILES MORALES: SPIDER-MAN #11

12253785055?profile=RESIZE_400xStory: Cody Ziglar | Art: Federica Mancin | Cover: Federico Vicentini

The next generation of Marvel art is on full display at the Disney Hotel New York – The Art of Marvel at Disneyland Paris! This past June, the Marvel Art Atelier, invited aspiring comic books artists for a one-of-a-kind training program, the results of which are now showing at the Jack Kirby Legacy Gallery alongside a collection of artwork by the world’s most iconic Marvel artists.

During the program, a class of talented mentees unleashed their creativity under the expert guidance of Marvel artist and mentors Giuseppe Camuncoli and Olivier Coipel along with Stormbreakers artists Peach Momoko and Natacha Bustos. This quartet of superstar Marvel talent taught the mentees all the tricks and techniques they need to bring the page to life in a way that only Marvel can do. After a series of themed challenges, including a final 24-hour challenge to draw an entire comic page, Federica Mancin was selected as the strongest prospective mentee of the week on the basis of her work. This young artist won her very first official Marvel assignment in person by Marvel Comics Editor-In-Chief C.B. Cebulski, and fans can see her artwork this October when she fills in for series artist Federico Vicentini in MILES MORALES: SPIDER-MAN #11. In what is sure to be an epic beginning to Mancin’s burgeoning career, this upcoming issue of writer Cody Ziglar’s hit run features a team-up between Spider-Man and Blade and an action-packed showdown with new villain Hightail.

“Having the opportunity to work on a Miles Morales issue as my first job at Marvel has been a dream come true as he is my favorite Marvel character,” Mancin shared. “I have enjoyed every second of it, the chance to draw Miles swinging across New York or throwing webs at his enemies, of course all the action sequences were super fun to me, as I love trying to find ways to convey energy and motion through the page. I have also enjoyed bringing to life other cool characters like Blade or Hightail as they make the adventure even more gripping and thrilling. I think it’s going to be an amazing and spooky journey!”

Keep an eye out in the coming months as more Marvel Art Atelier participants make their exciting Marvel Comics debuts!

• So now a fill-in artist is a selling point. Nice work, Marvel PR!

12222696281?profile=RESIZE_180x18012222696295?profile=RESIZE_180x18012222696660?profile=RESIZE_180x180

MOON KNIGHT #28 

12219603492?profile=RESIZE_400x12150092092?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story: Jed Mackay | Art: Alessandro Cappuccio | Cover: Stephen Segovia, Inhyuk Lee, Javier Garrón, Elizabeth Torque, Nic Klein | Teen+ | $3.99

Witness the full scope of Jed MacKay and Allesandro Cappuccio’s vision for MOON KNIGHT in “THE LAST DAYS OF MOON KNIGHT.” This epic new three-part storyline kicking off in issue #28 will be the culmination of Moon Knight’s current era and the beginning of his next chapter.

Over the last few years, MacKay and Cappuccio have revitalized the Moon Knight mythology. One of the hottest titles on stands today, Moon Knight’s current run has blessed the iconic character with new purpose, boldly reinvented his rogues gallery, and introduced fascinating new allies and supporting players. Now, Marc Spector’s journey reaches a climactic end. Running from MOON KNIGHT #28-30, “The Last Days of Moon Knight” will see Moon Knight in a deadly race to intercept the Black Spectre before his apocalyptic schemes bear fruit — but the clock is ticking, and a city hangs in the balance. And when the dust settles, a new vengeance will be born.

"Almost all the pieces are now on the board- on one side, Moon Knight and his allies in the Midnight Mission, and on the other, the Black Spectre, his creatures, and his plan for New York,” MacKay explained. “We've been building towards this confrontation since #19, and starting with MOON KNIGHT #28, Moon Knight and the Black Spectre go to war. It's not just a question of victory, but survival itself. The Midnight Mission is already cloaked in the black of mourning ..." 

• They can't kill Marc Spector for long, can they? Since he's been established on TV? Kamala Khan was dead for, I think, a week.

SPINE-TINGLING SPIDER-MAN #1 (OF 4)

12158433692?profile=RESIZE_400x12253785666?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story: Saladin Ahmed | Art: Juan Ferreyra | Art/Cover: Lucio Parrillo | Variants: Skottie Young, Juan Ferreyra | 40 pages | Teen+ | $4.99

Terror continues for the Web-Slinger!

It’s the scariest Spidey story of the year! Following September’s SPINE-TINGLING SPIDER-MAN #0, the print version of the acclaimed Infinity Comic, writer Saladin Ahmed and Juan Ferreyra will reunite for an all-new SPINE-TINGLING SPIDER-MAN series in October! Ahmed and Ferreyra’s horror saga shook readers to their core when it debuted in 2021 on Marvel Unlimited, but that was just the beginning of Peter Parker’s nightmare! Spidey will continue to lose sleep as he swings his way into another unforgettable, mind-bending journey that grip reader’s fears in this new four-issue adventure!

After a fight with Spider-Cide, Spider-Man gets taken on the scariest ride of his life as he finds himself in the most terrifying haunted house possible. Who took Peter’s powers? Who took Peter’s friends and family? Who stands the best chance at taking Spider-Man down PERMANENTLY?!

“We're putting Peter through a grueling horror movie grinder, and that resilient spirit of his will be tested like never before!” Ahmed promises. “I tapped into some darkness writing this, but the real star here is Juan's mind-blowing, visionary work — which is genuinely some of the best Spider-art I've ever seen.”

Be there when the Spidey mythos is turned inside out once more in SPINE-TINGLING SPIDER-MAN #1 this October!

• My guess is Mysterio's involved.

DC COMICS

"Gotham War" continues in CATWOMAN #58.

ZERO HOUR: CRISIS IN TIME OMNIBUS HC gets collected.

SUPERMAN #7/#850 is an oversize anniversary issue.

JAY GARRICK: THE FLASH #1 (OF 6)

12228667278?profile=RESIZE_400xWritten By Jeremy Adams | Art By Diego Olortegui | Cover By Jorge Corona | Variant Cover By Francis Manapul Variant Cover By Serg Acuna Golden Age Foil Cover By Jorge Corona ($5.99 | $3.99/$4.99 (card stock)

JAY AND HIS LONG-LOST DAUGHTER RACE SIDE BY SIDE IN THE PRESENT DAY!

Spinning out of the events of Stargirl: The Lost Children and Justice Society of America, Jay Garrick is reunited with his long-lost daughter, Judy. After being pulled from the timeline, Judy returns to a world where she and her dad aren't the only ones that ride the lightning, but is there enough space for her in Jay and Joan's life? And can they keep up with their teenage daughter and make up for lost time?

• I accidentally ran this early, so we've already discussed it.

12228667676?profile=RESIZE_180x18012228668655?profile=RESIZE_180x18012230531890?profile=RESIZE_180x18012230532269?profile=RESIZE_180x18012230532292?profile=RESIZE_180x18012230532681?profile=RESIZE_180x18012230533067?profile=RESIZE_180x18012230533086?profile=RESIZE_180x18012230533852?profile=RESIZE_180x180

JUSTICE LEAGUE VS. GODZILLA VS. KONG #1 (OF 7)

12228669463?profile=RESIZE_400x

Story: Brian Buccellato | Art: Christian Duce | Cover: Drew Johnson | Variants: Jim Lee & Scott Williams, Francesco Mattina, Dan Mora, Alan Quah, Jim Lee & Scott Williams, Rafael Albuquerque ($6.99), Christian Duce ($14.99), Christian Duce ($14.99, 11/14/23) | 40 pages | $4.99/$5.99 US (card stock)

HEROES AND MONSTERS COLLIDE IN THE CROSSOVER EVENT OF THE YEAR!

DC will collide with Legendary’s Monsterverse in Justice League vs. Godzilla vs. Kong, the cataclysmic crossover event of the year you never expected! In partnership with Toho International, the 7-issue series, launching in October, is from acclaimed writer Brian Buccellato (The Flash, Injustice, Detective Comics), bestselling artist Christian Duce (Batman/Fortnite: Zero Point) and colorist Luis Guerrero!

“As a comics fan — there’s nothing more fun and exciting than exploring those amazing ‘What If’ situations that come up when fandoms cross streams!” said Jim Lee, DC President, Publisher and Chief Creative Officer. “In this case, it’s a matchup of the world’s greatest Super Heroes in the Justice League who take on not only the King of the Monsters — Godzilla — but the mighty Kong himself! It’s a crossover no-holds-barred battle, decades in the making, and no bona fide comics fan will want to miss it!”

“There have been a couple of classic crossovers since I started reading comics: Superman vs. The Amazing Spider-Man, The Uncanny X-Men and the New Teen Titans — and we hope Justice League vs. Godzilla vs. Kong joins that list of unforgettable meetings,” said Robert Napton, SVP & Publisher, Legendary Comics. “I am grateful to everyone at DC, Legendary Entertainment, and Toho International for the passionate support we received to have these worlds collide!”

What starts as a routine clash between the Justice League and the Legion of Doom takes a dangerous turn when the wall between worlds is breached … with Godzilla, Kong and the Monsterverse emerging on DC’s Earth! What ensues will be a brawl of unprecedented scale and destruction!

“I’ve had the good fortune to write most of the legendary DC Super Heroes before — from my time on The Flash, Detective Comics and Injustice,” said Brian Buccellato. “This time I get to build something way larger than life using all the toys in two different sandboxes. It’s such a thrill to tear open both the DC Universe and Legendary’s Monsterverse for this dream project.”

The epic crossover begins when Clark Kent, enjoying a night off with Lois Lane, is interrupted when the entire city shudders under the weight of the monstrous Godzilla, who emerges from the bay.

“Christian Duce and Luis Guerrero are perfect partners in this oversize endeavor,” continued Buccellato. “Christian has been masterful in his navigating the story’s enormous scope in terms of character moments, rampaging monsters, and big superhero action. And Luis’s stunning palette and rendering are an amazing complement to Christian’s art.”

And don’t miss the Godzilla “Roar Sound FX” gatefold variant cover and the Kong “Roar Sound FX” gatefold variant cover, both by Christian Duce, on sale Nov. 14 (polybagged, $14.99). Sound chips in the covers will have both Godzilla and Kong deliver battle roars when the gatefold is opened! Hear them RRAAGGHH!

• Same here.

12228669092?profile=RESIZE_180x18012228669480?profile=RESIZE_180x18012228669665?profile=RESIZE_180x18012228669281?profile=RESIZE_180x18012228669875?profile=RESIZE_180x18012228669894?profile=RESIZE_180x18012228670454?profile=RESIZE_180x180

12158760681?profile=RESIZE_180x18012158760879?profile=RESIZE_180x18012158761453?profile=RESIZE_400x

12158761487?profile=RESIZE_400x 

IMAGE COMICS

HACK/SLASH: BACK TO SCHOOL #1 (OF 4)

12150533081?profile=RESIZE_400xStory/Art: Zoe Thorogood | Covers: Thorogood, Seeley, Caselli | $3.99

Five time 2023 Eisner Award and Russ Manning Award nominee Zoe Thorogood (It’s Lonely at the Centre of the Earth, The Impending Blindness of Billie Scott, Joe Hill’s Rain) will take the reins on the upcoming spinoff of Tim Seeley’s beloved Hack/Slash: Back to School. This all new chapter in the fan-favorite escapades of Cassie Hack will run four-issues long and launch this October from Image Comics.

Hack/Slash returns with an untold tale! Slasher hunter Cassie Hack is only just getting used to her man-monster partner, Vlad, when she's drawn into a new case involving a murderous bunny mascot, dead kids, and an entire squad of maladjusted teenage serial-killer hunters. Hack/Slash: Back to School #1 begins a completely new chapter in the beloved, long-running series that's perfect for new readers and old fans alike, just in time for Halloween.

"I've been a fan of Zoe's work since I first saw her comics on instagram,” said Seeley. “The fact that she's not only an old school fan of Hack/Slash, but had some big ideas for Cassie and Vlad makes co-creator Stefano Caselli and I proud as can be. She's going to roll right out of the Eisner awards and tell the untold tales of our sexy slasher dramedy just in time for the 20th anniversary!”

Thorogood added: "I love the bizarre crossroads of disturbed/sexy/gory/sentimental that Hack/Slash sits at. It’s a series of endless absurd possibilities and it’s been a real joy to put my spin on it (in the form of a monster hunting school for girls with mommy issues)."

• I didn't know this franchise was still a going concern. I've only read a couple of issues, but I've been buying all the deluxe editions for a future marathon session.

DARK HORSE

CYBERPUNK 2077: XOXO #1 (OF 4)

12158953867?profile=RESIZE_400xThe writer of Netflix’s hit animated series Cyberpunk 2077: Edgerunners and Hugo Award nominated Cyberpunk 2077: Big City Dreams comic, Bartosz Sztybor (Cyberpunk 2077: Blackout, shares a love story tied to a gang war that just may take the Maelstrom and the Moxes down with it in Cyberpunk 2077: XOXO. Created in close collaboration with CD Projekt Red, Sztybor is joined by main cover and series artist Jakub Rebelka (Judas, Namesake, Dune: A Whisper of Caladan) and letterer Frank Cvetkovic (Cyberpunk 2077: You Have My Word). Variant covers for issue #1 are provided by Jeffrey Alan Love (Batman), Fabrizio De Tommaso (Morgan Lost) and Rion Chow.

Gang-on-gang violence rages towards a bloodbath when an ambush planned by the Maelstroms on the Moxes gets complicated. Corpo cargo worth a heavy sum is up for grabs, but loyalty only goes so far when love is on the line. One member of the Maelstroms has found something worth sacrificing for. He’s never known anyone like her. Jaw-dropping, eyes popping, pulse racing, could this be love at first sight?

Praise for Cyberpunk 2077: Blackout

Cyberpunk 2077: Blackout #1 has all the spunk and rush of the original video games with a minor adjustment. As the issue follows Arturo through his work/life troubles and inner strife, the narrative maintains a steady pace that keeps the readers engrossed in the cogs and wheels of the year 2077.” — CBR.com

Cyberpunk 2077: Blackout #1 is a crazy story that explores the darkest parts of humanity. If you enjoy dystopia literature, then this is undoubtedly a comic for you.” — Major Spoilers

“Writer Bartosz Sztybor builds the world for us, its flaws, its scratches and dings. The elevator bells that ring a ding ding in your head, the incessantly littered landscape of the ruined city, the downtrodden plebes and peasants. It ain’t pleasant, but Sztybor makes us feel for Arturo, the repairman. There are twists, turns, surprises, and rhythms to the pacing, making us slow down and smell the chaos.” — Fanboy Factor

• Before I assume "based on a video game" now, I look it up to make sure it wasn't an anime or something first. But, yeah, this is based on a video game.
  • Here's a PREVIEW.

12158953879?profile=RESIZE_180x18012158953896?profile=RESIZE_180x18012158954070?profile=RESIZE_180x180

HANS VOGEL IS DEAD VOLUME 1

10953874301?profile=RESIZE_710xComing soon from Dark Horse Books is Hans Vogel is Dead Volume 1, the first book in a new trilogy by historian-turned-cartoonist Sierra Barnes (Glory, Ecaterina Teodoroiu). Originally debuting as a webcomic, then on Kickstarter and eventually Cast Iron Books in the UK, this anti-fascist fairytale focuses on the importance of recognizing past wrongs. The first paperback volume will feature new cover art as well as an expanded sketchbook section.

It’s the height of WWII, and the Nazi forces are driving through Europe. Decorated German fighter pilot Hans Vogel follows orders and doesn’t ask questions. It’s worked out well for him … so far. But when his plane is shot down in the middle of an air raid over London, he is dead before he hits the ground. And that’s only the beginning of his problems.

"Hans Vogel is a passion project that I've poured so much love, research, and work into over the last few years, and I can hardly believe how lucky I am to see this weird little webcomic get set loose on the world!" said Sierra Barnes. "I'm so thankful to everyone who read and supported Hans and Reineke in their journey over the years, and I hope you're as excited as I am to see them continue to grow and their adventure keep going. Thank you, thank you all!"

Praise for Sierra Barnes:

Hans Vogel is Dead features some extremely spooky art, drawing inspiration from fairy tales and history and then cranking the horror elements all the way up to the max.” — Comics Beat

• Clearly, today's neo-Nazis didn't grow up reading comics, or they'd know they were the baddies.
  • Here's a PREVIEW.

10953875667?profile=RESIZE_710x10953875298?profile=RESIZE_710x10953875487?profile=RESIZE_180x180

HEADLESS HORSEMAN HALLOWEEN ANNUAL (ONE-SHOT)

12159244481?profile=RESIZE_400x12159244660?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story/Art: Various | Cover: Lukas Ketner | Variants: Mike Mignola & Dave Stewart, Mark Spears | Dark Horse | 56 pages | $7.99

Boils, ghouls, vampires, monsters and creatures of all kinds, welcome. Take a seat, go on, fill the aisles, relax your fangs and sit with us for a while. Follow a macabre and magical journey through all the haunts and spooks that keep you up at night. Here you’ll revel in darkness for a chilling, nay PETRIFYING experience as the Headless Horseman presents a collection of five terrifying tales to warm up your cold soul. Hurry up now, you won’t want to keep them waiting…

This Halloween the headless haunt, our Dark Equestrian, saddles up for a one-shot gathering creepy tales perfect for a night of nightmares. The Headless Horseman Halloween Annual is a new Halloween anthology from Dark Horse Comics and contains macabre merriment from a host of haunting creators, including: Angela Slatter (Castle Full of Blackbirds), Lukas Ketner (Count Crowley: Reluctant Midnight Monster Hunter), Olivia Stephens (Darlin’ and Her Other Names), Phillip Sevy (Tomb Raider, The House), Christie Porter, Leah Kilpatrick, David Dastmalchian (Count Crowley), Valeria Burzo (Castle Full of Blackbirds), Tyler Crook (Harrow County), Frank Cvetkovic (The House) and more. These five stories are presented by creators who share a love of shudder-inducing, spine-tingling imagery and spooky tales!

“Doing a Halloween-themed anthology has always been a dream of mine, and we were able to assemble a fantastic crew of creators to help carry out that vision. The book is full of fun, creepy, and iconic stories that will scare and delight readers, I can’t wait for everyone to get their hands on it!” said editor Megan Walker.

“Being able to write Horror House with David was such a gift to my spooky heart and seeing Tyler’s beautiful artwork bring it all to life was something truly special.” said writer Leah Kilpatrick. “It’s such a treat to be able to be a part of an anthology series and when that series is about Halloween what more can you want!”

“There is a controlled kind of magic in one-shot, anthological storytelling that follows a tradition of EC Comics, short films and even well-crafted jokes. Getting to collaborate with the amazing Leah Kilpatrick and one of my favorite artists, Tyler Crook, under Megan Walker’s guidance has been the perfect laboratory to cook up a twisted Halloween tale!” said writer David Dastmalchian.

If you’ve ever gotten lost while trick-or-treating, if writer’s block gives you a disproportionate sense of dread, if you won't walk past that certain house down the road …  just in case, if you have ever wondered why the new kid came to town or what could possibly make those spooky horror games even scarier, and especially if you think nothing can frighten you, this anthology is for you.

• You really can't go wrong with a Mike Mignola cover on a horror anthology.
  • Here's a PREVIEW.

PROJECT MONARCH TP

10953861087?profile=RESIZE_710xEisner Award winner Michael Avon Oeming (Powers) and Victor Santos (Polar) are ready to get you to believe in anything in their newest graphic novel, Project Monarch! Oeming and Santos team up for a new action satire pitted in the world of conspiracy theories with the two sharing work on art and coloring and Michael Avon Oeming writing the story.

Legendary film director Stanley Bowman has been indoctrinated into a Faustian deal that has ruined his life. He faked the moon landing, manipulated viral celebrity meltdowns, and filmed dozens of conspiracies to serve the goals of the Illuminati. But his loyalty gets called into question when he is forced to create an occult film so powerful the public will fall under complete control. Only his adopted child-star assassins can save him, his family, and expose the truth.

On Project Monarch, Oeming said, “We live in a post-conspiracy society where irony is dead, and reality becomes nearly impossible to out-satire, so I think this is perfect timing for Project Monarch!"

"This story was born in a time when we needed to deal with uncertainty everyday,” said Santos. “So this is a book about embracing chaos and living nonetheless, and I can't imagine a better partner for this crazy trip than Mike Oeming."

Early Praise for Project Monarch:

"Project Monarch is quite simply the most intricately beautiful book you will read this year. It's a gorgeous, ingenious story that eats up the page like a ravenous beast. Take this journey. We so rarely get to explore like this. It's a wonder." — Gail Simone

"Anytime one of my favorite comics creators in the entire world puts out new material it's exciting, but this is extra-exciting because this is exactly the kind of book Mike Oeming was born to make. He and Victor are an amazing team and this was an absolute delight to behold." — Brian Michael Bendis

"The first six pages of this book hooked me faster and harder than any six pages in anything I've read in decades. Wow! Lizard people, conspiracy theories, indestructible assassins!?” — Matt Kindt

• I wonder how the folks at the Godzilla movies feel about this title? They used "Project Monarch" way back in 2014.
  • Here's a PREVIEW.

SIGNALS VOL 1

10994031680?profile=RESIZE_400xDark Horse | $24.99

Signals is a psychic suspense story that features writing and art by Nika (Love Debut, Secrets in the Silk). Mel Song is an unlikely fit for a crack investigator. In her downtime she loves watching soap operas in her pajamas, eating instant ramen and Internet shopping. But she has one secret weapon: the ability to read minds. Still, Mel can't afford to get complacent. Not when there is a fresh threat brewing in the shadows of New York City.

• A Tapas collection.
  • Here's a PREVIEW.

SUBGENRE #1 (OF 4)

12144159070?profile=RESIZE_710x12144159258?profile=RESIZE_710x

Story: Matt Kindt | Art: Wilfredo Torres | Colors:  Bill Crabtree | Cover: Wilfredo Torres  | Variant: Brian Hurtt | $7.99 

Flux House Books and Dark Horse Comics present Matt Kindt’s newest series, Subgenre. Co-created with Bang! partner Wilfredo Torres, Subgenre is a mind-bending, multidimensional murder mystery that stretches across many of Kindt’s previous books and all of genre fiction itself. Each issue of the series will also be presented in a larger pulp magazine-sized format.

A man is living two lives. He is a private detective in a dystopian cyberpunk future trying to solve a triple murder. But when he falls asleep — he wakes up as a wandering adventurer in a barbaric fantasy world where magic exists. Is he two separate people? Or is he a third person that has undergone a psychotic split? He jumps back and forth from sword-wielding barbarian to jaded private eye trying to solve the brutal crime. But the bigger question is, can he merge these realities without losing himself?

Subgenre is the latest release from Flux House Books, a new boutique imprint that will feature the writing (and sometimes) art of acclaimed comics creator Matt Kindt, with crime, science fiction, horror, and humor stories, all told and presented in startling and untraditional ways.

On Subgenre, Kindt said, “I wrote the most dense script of my career in an effort to get every idea I’ve ever had about identity, writing, genre and fiction into one big murder mystery. I owe Wilfredo many, many dinners.”

Praise for Matt Kindt:

“I will literally read anything by Matt Kindt or Wilfredo Torres. Put them together and it’s magic. Skip dinner and buy this book.” — Mark Millar

“I love Matt Kindt and I love Wilfredo Torres, so it’s no surprise that I loved BANG! It’s like the weirdo, mind-bending James Bond story I didn't know I wanted.” — Jeff Lemire

“Matt Kindt has developed into one of the most exciting and original talents in the business.” — The LA Times

“Matt Kindt is a storyteller so fully in control of his gifts that his graphic novels read like quietly compelling arguments for the comics medium's narrative potential.” — NPR

“In an industry packed with franchise superheroics and licensed properties, Kindt is one of the creators leading the charge with unique concepts and innovative storytelling.” — COMICS ALLIANCE

“Kindt has long proven himself to be one of the most inventive and cerebral comic makers alive today.” — IGN

• I had an idea to write a story like this once. Kindt will probably do a better job.

IDW PUBLISHING

RICHARD STARK’S PARKER COMPLETE COLLECTION TP collects The Score, The Outfit, The Hunter and Slayground, as well as two shorts "The Man with the Getaway Face" and "The Seventh." If you haven't read these stories and like hard-boiled crime stories and/or Darwyn Cooke, you should pick up this book immediately.

BENEATH THE TREES WHERE NOBODY SEES #1

12144717690?profile=RESIZE_710x12253863852?profile=RESIZE_180x180In the tranquil and welcoming little town of Woodbrook, humanoid animals happily live in harmony. This cute community isn’t quite as calming as it seems, though. On the surface, Samantha is the friendly face who owns and manages the hardware store. But beneath the surface lies something more terrifying. She visits the nearby city to let her violent urges loose and buries her victims in the woods… But what happens when the killing comes back to her harmonious home town and Samantha isn’t the only one unleashing her inner animal?

IDW Publishing proudly presents BENEATH THE TREES WHERE NOBODY SEES, a cozy horror series arriving this October and unlike anything else currently on the stands. This twisted yet adorable tale is written, illustrated and colored by Patrick Horvath (Haha: Sad Clown Stories) with lettering by Hassan Otsmane-Elhaou (CRASHING).

“One of my guiding principles for this series is to strike a balance between cute, fun, dark and disturbing, and I think that readers will be very pleased with the results,” commented Horvath. “A lot of the creative work that I do tends to be these dark little existential explorations, carving a path through the dread of having your life upended. For as strange, or insane, or idiosyncratic your interior life might be, that type of story resonates with a ton of people. Every person goes through it in some form or other, and with BENEATH THE TREES WHERE NOBODY SEES that person happens to be a cuddly brown bear who is a serial killer and owns a hardware store.”

Horvath is confident the weird and shocking premise will keep readers eager to witness how the adorable yet appalling events unfold. “It struck me as sort of profane, but setting this story in an idyllic little town of animal-folks just felt like the absolute right move. You can't help but want to see how the events play out issue-by-issue, watching the horror unfold in this adorable community.”

"BENEATH THE TREES WHERE NOBODY SEES is proof of the magic you get when you trust creators' voices and give outstanding talent like Patrick the freedom to let loose," commented Maggie Howell, Group Editor for IDW's Originals line. "He came to us with a dream to mix the cute with the unconscionable and this book never loses its grip on that goal. For every shocking page turn there are a hundred delightful and terrifying Easter eggs."

Howell added, "It's a perfect example of a creator doing his best possible work on a project that's uniquely his own and it shines through in the reading experience. Everyone who joins us in cozy Woodbrook is going to savor this story... and it's a testament to Patrick's skill and vision that they'll worry they're savoring it a little too much."

12144717490?profile=RESIZE_710x12144718053?profile=RESIZE_710x12144717871?profile=RESIZE_710x12144717883?profile=RESIZE_180x18012144717898?profile=RESIZE_180x18012144718079?profile=RESIZE_180x180

MORE COMICS

Comic-strip collectors alert: COMPLETE DICK TRACY HC VOL 01 1931-1933 (Clover Press), COMPLETE DICK TRACY HC VOL 02 1933-1935 (Clover Press), PEANUTS EVERY SUNDAY HC BOX SET 1980 (Fantagraphics) and PEANUTS: SNOOPY TOUCHDOWN TP (Andrews McMeel).

Ahoy Comics alert: CON & ON #4 (OF 5).

The two new stories in Archie's WORLD OF ARCHIE JUMBO COMICS DIGEST #134 star Ginger Snapp and Penny Peabody.

A dead musician is restored by his family with AI in Catapult's ARTIFICIAL: A LOVE STORY HC. Here are some pretty words about it: "Artificial guides us through nuanced questions about art, memory, and technology, demonstrating that love, a process of focused attention, is what grounds a meaningful life." 

"Jules is a trans man trapped in his life as a nun ..." Yep, THE CHROMATIC FANTASY TP is a Silver Sprocket book, all right. Here's a PREVIEW.

Kyle Books' DISASTER DATES & LUCKY ESCAPES GN is a collection of Tess Smith-Roberts' dating cartoons from Instagram.

Two best friends and an overbearing mother are trapped in a cabin. The cover shows a bloody axe, so CEX Publishing's OPUS & ASHES ONE-SHOT probably won't end well. Here's a PREVIEW.

New York Review's PITTSBURGH HC is a coming-of-age memoir in multi-media. Here's a PREVIEW.

"Tour America's haunted history of spite houses and bad babysitters, meet Napoleon in New Jersey, and find yourself somewhere between Desolation Bay and Satan's Kingdom." I don't know what that means, so you'll have to read Secret Acres' SATAN’S KINGDOM GN to find out.

Helvetiq's SMASH THE PATRIARCHY GN celebrates 100 historical women while shaming various historical men. Depending on execution, this could be hilarious or a polemic. Here's a PREVIEW.

A promising boxer with spiritual powers fights the devil in Saturday AM's SOUL BEAT VOL 1: THE PAYBACK GN. Here's a PREVIEW.

The wolf-headed roguish Incal character gets a solo story in Humanoids' THE INCAL: KILL WOLFHEAD HC.

Oni's THE LITTLE RED WOLF GN role reverses the wolf and Little Red Riding Hood from the fairy tale. Which seems pointless, but I haven't read it.

A newly sober punk rocker gets powers and fights a resurrected witch in New Hampshire in Scout's GRANITE STATE: PUNK BREAKING EDGE #1. Can you really be a sober punk rocker?

Graphic Mundi's VANNI GN is a Persepolis-style memoir from the Sri Lankan civil war. I appreciate that these exist, although I don't always read them.

VICTOR CROWLEY'S HATCHET HALLOWEEN TALES V #1 is this year's horror anthology from American Mythology.

Ten Speed Press adapts the famous book/movie: WATERSHIP DOWN GN.

DAUNTLESS DAMES: HIGH-HEELED HEROES OF THE COMIC STRIPS HC

12253760064?profile=RESIZE_400x12253760074?profile=RESIZE_400xEditors: Trina Robbins, Peter Maresca | Fantagraphics | 160 pages | $100.00

The audacious exploits of 10 great adventurous female stars from the Golden Age of comic strips.

In the 1920s they were socialites and flappers. In the 1960s they were homemakers and heartthrobs. But from the late 1930s to the early 1950s, female stars of the newspaper comic strips were detectives, spies, soldiers of fortune, even superheroes. Accomplishing everything the male comics stars of the time achieved, except they did it in high-heels and flowing skirts. Follow the daring exploits of these smart, tough, independent AND sexy Dauntless Dames.

Both a product of their era and ahead of their time, the women in these stories gave their audience just what they needed. Through the Sunday Comics readers could escape from the woes of the Depression, travel to exotic foreign lands, feel the glamor and gangsters of the entertainment world, and support the Allied efforts in World War II.

Presented in an extra-large format, here are the colorful, pulse-pounding tales of 10 incredible women, both known and unknown to comics fans — and most are reprinted here for the first time in three-quarters of a century! The book also includes a special bonus insert: a fold-out section with a dozen paper doll cutouts starring the most popular women comic strip characters of the day.

• This looks awesome!

HIP HOP FAMILY TREE OMNIBUS HC

12253764875?profile=RESIZE_400x12253764679?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story/Art: Ed Piskor | Fantagraphics | 504 pages | $75.00

In celebration of 50 years of hip hop, Fantagraphics is publishing a stunning and definitive new hardcover edition of Ed Piskor’s Eisner award-winning classic HIP HOP FAMILY TREE. The HIP HOP FAMILY TREE OMNIBUS features more than 140 pages of extra material, a foreword by WILD STYLE director Charlie Ahearn, an afterword by esteemed hip hop journalist Bill Adler, new annotations of the entire series by Piskor, a comprehensive cover gallery, and much more. The book’s publication this fall will mark the very first time that the influential series has been collected under one cover.

Ed Piskor's HIP HOP FAMILY TREE has been a global phenomenon and perennial bestseller since the first (of four) volumes was published in 2013, spawning multiple printings, fourteen comic books, and the author's wildly popular YouTube comics channel, Cartoonist Kayfabe (co-hosted with fellow cartoonist Jim Rugg). The award-winning comic provides an entertaining and encyclopedic history of hip hop culture, told in comic book form with verve, swagger and style. Piskor's cartooning crackles like Jack Kirby’s illustrations and takes readers from the parks and rec rooms of the South Bronx to the night clubs, recording studios, and radio stations where the scene started to boom, capturing the flavor of late 1970s New York City in panels bursting with obsessively authentic detail. The technical innovations, the triumphs and failures are all thoroughly researched and lovingly depicted, with a vigorous and engaging Ken Burns-meets-Stan Lee approach. Like the acclaimed hip hop documentaries Style Wars and Scratch, HIP HOP FAMILY TREE is an essential cultural chronicle and a must for hip hop fans, pop-culture addicts, and anyone who wants to know how it went down back in the day.

“Being a cartoonist means that my books are my babies and for one of them to have a life beyond 10 years is an absolute blessing,” said Piskor. “Given the fact that it's also the 50th anniversary of Hip Hop culture it was essential for us to bring about the best presentation possible for the material. I couldn't be happier.”

“Ed's passion for comics is matched only by his passion for hip hop, and his love and respect for both artforms resulted in not only a kick-ass comic book, but one of the most valuable resources to chronicle hip hop's glorious 50 year history, as this definitive Omnibus proves,” said Fantagraphics Associate Publisher Eric Reynolds.

“We are making the ultimate version of HIP HOP FAMILY TREE with this edition,” said Piskor. “Beyond the original 4 volumes I did years more of work on the series that was scattered about, and now we're able to include all of this material inside of one hardcover edition. This includes covers, illustrations, and commentary that I've built over a decade, plus I couldn't resist adding lots of fresh artwork specifically for this edition to make the whole package as balanced as possible.”

Here’s what critics and musicians have said about Ed Piskor’s HIP HOP FAMILY TREE:

“Captures the personalities, imagery and milestones with a hilarity and efficiency that no other medium could.” ― Billboard

“The amount of research he’s done sets a rather terrifying new standard for anyone else inclined to study the birth of hip-hop …” ― NPR

“Ed Piskor is the sh#t!!” — De La Soul

“Carefully researched and detailed along with great comic book style art.” — THE SOURCE

“An incredible achievement.” — io9

“Being in an Ed Piskor comic is cool enough to freeze hot water.” — Fab Five Freddy

“One of the defining histories of hip-hop.” — THE DAILY BEAST

“Piskor is obviously a huge rap fan. … He presents the facts in a nostalgic, faded-ink and rubbery realism of '70s Marvel Comics style, turning rap's early innovators into larger-than-life heroes of history.” — SPIN

“This is the comic of all time.” — Biz Markie

• Fantagraphics is really pushing this.
  • Here's a PREVIEW.
  • Here's another PREVIEW.
  • Here's another:

12254329300?profile=RESIZE_180x18012254329485?profile=RESIZE_180x18012254329659?profile=RESIZE_180x18012254329100?profile=RESIZE_180x18012254330072?profile=RESIZE_180x18012254330265?profile=RESIZE_180x180

THE MAN FROM MAYBE #1 (of 3)

12158942297?profile=RESIZE_400xStory: Jordan Thomas  | Art/Cover: Shaky Kane | Variants: David Rubin, Nick Cagnetti | Dark Horse | 48 pages | $6.99

Oni Press is proud to announce THE MAN FROM MAYBE #1 (of 3) — a 48-page, high-potency dose of eye-searing, shoot-'em-up action on the high plains of our ruined planet from rising star Jordan Thomas (WEIRD WORK, XINO) and the infamous artistic savant known as Shaky Kane (WEIRD WORK, BULLETPROOF COFFIN)!

Double-sized and double-barreled at 48 gratuitously gargantuan pages, give yourself over to an upside-down world where the mutants die hard and the dinosaurs can’t be trusted in THE MAN FROM MAYBE #1 (of 3) – featuring a downright demolishing line-up of covers, led by “Swaggerin'” Shaky Kane himself alongside “Dazzlin’” David Rubín (BLACK HAMMER, COSMIC DETECTIVE) and “Nice” Nick Cagentti (PINK LEMONADE)! The mind-bending comic trailer is now live.

“In this jaded and self-serious era, it's so rare to find comics that positively pulsate with the joy of what comics do best,” said Oni Press President & Publisher Hunter Gorinson. “Working from a script of non-stop swerves by Jordan Thomas – a legitimate mega-talent in the making – it's no surprise that ONLY the legendary Shaky Kane could do THE MAN FROM MAYBE justice. Imagine Jack Kirby tackling an unauthorized adaptation of a long-lost science fiction novel written by Hunter S. Thompson on a dare, and you might begin to approximate this hyper-stylized, white-hot freefall through one of the 'best worst' futures ever committed to print.”

In the dry and dead future that's coming soon, all life belongs to Oppenheimer-obsessed billionaire Harvard Denny and his corporate scavengers from Smile, Inc., who pillage the wastelands in search of atomic contraband.

But when a hyper-advanced vessel of possibly alien origin crashlands on the outer edge of Denny's empire of neon-lit ruins, will it bring promise or poison to a distorted world? As the race to acquire the ship's cargo begins, our fate will be decided by a masked bandit and the cold iron of his laser rifle. He knows no name, no home, no surrender—only the whispered hush of those in need who dare call him ... THE MAN FROM MAYBE!

“The whole idea for the series was formed knowing I was writing for Shaky,” said Jordan Thomas. “He gave me a couple of brain-expanding images he wanted to draw and from there I began building out a strange and wild world for these characters to tear apart. The whole team at Oni have been great in helping us create this bright blend of adventure, thrills and shocks. It's absolutely the most flat out fun comic I've ever been a part of and I'm very proud of what we've put on the page.”

“Saddle-up the Atomic Hoss, turn Grandma's TV up to full retina burn, and head out across the wasteland,” said Shaky Kane. “There's no maybe about it, you'll YEE-HAW! for sure when you pick this one up. Some of the treats Jordan served up surprised even me, and I drew the dang thing!”

Buy THE MAN FROM MAYBE #1 in October ... or eat dust!

• Dark Horse clearly has high hopes for this.

12158943670?profile=RESIZE_180x18012158943299?profile=RESIZE_180x18012158943883?profile=RESIZE_180x18012158944087?profile=RESIZE_180x18012158944674?profile=RESIZE_180x18012158944701?profile=RESIZE_400x12158944900?profile=RESIZE_180x18012158945092?profile=RESIZE_180x18012158945295?profile=RESIZE_180x18012158945676?profile=RESIZE_180x180

AL CAPONE: VAMPIRE #1

12253858866?profile=RESIZE_400x12253865899?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story: J. C. Vaughn | Art: Brendon Fraim, Brian Fraim | Cover: Howard Chaykin, Yen Nitro | American Mythology | $4.99

It's Al Capone, he's back, he's a vampire, and he's decided to take over Chicago, again. This is one of those rare times when the title almost does really tell you everything you need to know. ... Only there's way more, we promise! The original Scarface is back in a big way and the gangs of Chicago — and the other vampires — better look out!

• This made me laugh. And the Chaykin cover isn't bad, either.
  • Gangsters really are vampires, at least metaphorically. A character in The Sopranos compared them to termites.

BARBRA MACABRE'S MORBID MUSEUM #1

12253860887?profile=RESIZE_400xStory: Darin Henry | Art: Mike Vosburg, Neil Vokes, Val Mayerik | Art/Cover: Al Milgrom | Binge Books | $9.99

The Morbid Museum is now open for business! Reanimated supermodel Barbra Macabre brings you a bevy of EC-style horror tales featuring rhyming narrations which read like Stephen King crossed with Dr. Seuss! TV scribe Darin Henry & all-star artists Al Milgrom, Val Mayerik, Mike Vosburg, Neil Vokes and Glenn Whitmore tag-team their titanic talents in this anthology that'll leave you screaming for more!

• Mike Vosburg? Val Mayerik? Al Milgrom? Man, those are some names I haven't heard in a while.
  • Hey, Binge Books is back!

BITE-SIZED TALES OF TERROR #1

12219526475?profile=RESIZE_400x12219526882?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story/Art: Jon Clark | Letters: April Brown | Scout Comics

A collection of three deeply disturbing horror stories guaranteed to linger with you.

• The discovery of a strange lump on his chest shatters everything a ladies man knows about love.
  • An abused housewife claims that aliens are trying to get in touch with her, all they need is her location.
  • A corporate meeting descends into absolute insanity when a “scentologist” unveils her latest creation.

Pop-Up

“Delivers the goods in a big way with horrific imagery, creepiness, blood, pain, and fear. Do you want scary? You get scary.” — Something Juicy

A creepy, gross, unsettling horror tale that’ll hit your gag reflex in all the right ways. The story is told from a unique point of view, the horror element is super gross, and the art is well done. — Gabriel Hernandez, Comical Opinons

• The more the merrier when it comes to horror anthologies, as far as I'm concerned.

12219526698?profile=RESIZE_180x18012219527071?profile=RESIZE_180x18012219527458?profile=RESIZE_180x18012219527266?profile=RESIZE_180x180

FEAR THE FUNHOUSE PRESENTS ... TOYBOX OF TERROR (ONE-SHOT)

12158686271?profile=RESIZE_400x12158686452?profile=RESIZE_180x180

Story: Timmy Heague, Danielle Paige, Michael Northrop | Art: Ryan Caskey, Tango, Ryan Jampole | Colors: Ellie Wright | Letters: Jack Morelli | Cover: Ryan Caskey | Variant Cover: Sweeney Boo | Archie Publications | $3.99

In Riverdale, even the toys are terrifying in this anthology one-shot set in the universe of last year’s Fear the Funhouse comic. Three tales of dolls, robots and puppets gone awry all thanks to the work of a shadowy toymaker and a young girl intent on revenge, in the vein of the widely successful M3GAN movie and Child’s Play franchise.

Archie Horror's first foray into children's horror was last year’s FEAR THE FUNHOUSE anthology one-shot, inspired by genuinely scary children's horror like Goosebumps and Are You Afraid of the Dark?. This year's Month of Mayhem event is rounded out by a return to that dark universe with FEAR THE FUNHOUSE PRESENTS ... TOYBOX OF TERROR. It boasts three middle grade chillers written by Timmy Heague, owner of Arsenal Comics and Games, Danielle Paige (Mera: Tidebreaker), and Michael Northrop (Teen Titans Go!) with art by Ryan Caskey (The Spooky Tarot), Tango (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles), and Ryan Jampole (Sonic the Hedgehog).

"Since the release of the M3GAN movie earlier this year, I was inundated with pitches for stories about toys coming to life, and it became clear what the theme for this year's Funhouse would be,” Rotante said. “Pulling from both M3GAN as well as iconic series like Child's Play with a dash of Small Soldiers thrown in for good measure, the writers for TOYBOX OF TERROR all delivered big time on their stories, with each one being a unique take on the theme, all with a special Archie flair."

"TOYBOX OF TERROR prompts readers to play nice, or else!" Lovallo said. "Ryan Caskey, who made his Archie debut on last year's anthology, returns as cover artist and lead story artist for this new collection of terrifying tales. And also returning on variant cover art is the exceptional Sweeney Boo! Both Ryan and Sweeney know just how to scare our pants off with their mastery of illustrating unsettling expressions and dynamic compositions!"

That frame story, “Love Evernever” written by Heague, sets in motion a terrifying sequence of events that leads to an evil toy invasion of Riverdale. As Heague explains, the chaos is instigated by Evelyn Evernever, a character from classic "Little Archie" comics making her Archie Horror debut here: “In the days before the Chock'lit Shoppe, when the Riverdale gang was hanging out on the playground, little Evelyn Evernever’s heart was crushed. Now, with the help of a mysterious villain called the Toymaker, she is unleashing a Toybox of Terror to get her revenge and bring back what was lost to her many years ago. The Riverdale Gang beware! Evelyn Evernever and her demonic dolls are coming for you!”

The theme of human creations taking on a life of their own was top of mind for all three writers. Paige added, "With the advent of AI and riffing on the enormously popular M3GHAN, I had the immense pleasure of giving a lonely Midge Klump her own CH3RYL doll. Come on Dollies, let’s go party! Midge ultimately has to choose between her new doll BFF and her real friends, and when CH3RYL feels like she’s maybe losing Midge, how far will she go to hold onto her?"

Northrop captured the spirit of the season — and the Month of Mayhem! — saying, "Archie is perfect for this kind of horror. That safe, familiar suburban setting is like a perfectly raked leaf pile. It’s nice and cozy but also just begging to be wrecked — and probably wrecked by a kid!"

• I think this is aimed at kids more than Teen+, like the other Archie Horror books.

12257024891?profile=RESIZE_180x18012257025498?profile=RESIZE_180x18012257025659?profile=RESIZE_180x18012257025683?profile=RESIZE_180x18012257025699?profile=RESIZE_180x18012257026263?profile=RESIZE_180x180

WITCH OF THISTLE CASTLE VOL. 1 TP

12163870861?profile=RESIZE_400xStory/Art: John Tarachine | Titan Manga | B&W | 176 pages | $12.99

A JAPANESE SPIN ON HARRY POTTER AND CHARMED!

A HEARTFELT MANGA ABOUT A WITCH AND HER APPRENTICE FROM CREATOR JOHN TARACHINE!

Spirits and magic are everywhere in the streets of Edinburgh – if only you dare to see it! Dive into this heartfelt manga about a witch and her apprentice as they try to find their place in a world that hates their very existence.

The last in a long line of Witches of the Black Wood, Marie Blackwood lives a quiet life in Edinburgh – away from the scrutiny of the Church. But when the Church thrusts 13-year-old Theo into her hands for safekeeping, Marie suddenly gains the responsibility not just of taking care of a teenager – but protecting the world, and Theo himself, from the amazing power that lives inside of him.

• Titan's second manga.

12163871067?profile=RESIZE_400x12163871080?profile=RESIZE_180x18012163870697?profile=RESIZE_400x12163871255?profile=RESIZE_180x18012163871270?profile=RESIZE_180x180

TOMORROW GIRL BEACH OFF SPECIAL #1

12254323685?profile=RESIZE_400xStory/Art: Various | Antarctic Press | $4.99

Time for some fun, fun, fun in the summer sun, sun, sun for the Maid of Might and a boatload of A.P. characters from all up and down the coast!  And if villains try to get sand in anyone's shorts, TG just might have to smack up a beach!

• I assume the hot blonde is the selling point, so here ya go.

A SPLATTER WESTERN: SWALLOWER OF SHADES ONE-SHOT #1 (OF 4)

12253855288?profile=RESIZE_400xStory: J M Brandt | Art: Tom Napolitano | Cover: Garry Brown | Dead Sky Publishing | Mature | $3.99

A chance encounter between a sideshow owner and a man with his fair share of secrets unleashes an unholy terror on the folk of Randall's Oasis and Professor Morris' Pageant of Curiosities. A grisly murder brings the attention of fastidious Sheriff Jacob Dillon. What will he discover in the desert, and how will he stop it? Read the darkly comedic Splatter Western Swallower of Shades to find out those shocking answers!

• I've never heard the term "Splatter Western" before. Live and learn.

LONE SLOANE: BABEL HC

12163869468?profile=RESIZE_400xStory: Philippe Druillet, Xavier Cazaux-Zago | Art: Dimitri Avramoglou | Titan Comics | Mature | 80 pages | $24.99

Fans of sensational comics creator Philippe Druillet will adore this lavish addition to his masterful works!

A brand new adventure for the stoic hero Lone Sloane, in his endless struggle against dark gods, robotic entities and alien forces!  A trailblazing return for Phillipe Druillet’s tortured hero, Lone Sloane, who travels the galaxy for an answer to the mysteries of the universe and his soul.

Fully endorsed by the legend himself, writer Xavier Cazaux-Zago and artist Dimitri Avramoglou continue the space warrior’s epic odysseys through space!

This graphic novel set is ideal for any fans of Druillet wanting to complete their collection or fans of classic science fiction graphic novels wanting to broaden their graphic novel horizon.

• Druillet's work doesn't appeal to me, but somebody's buying these, because Titan keeps publishing them.

12163870056?profile=RESIZE_180x18012163870061?profile=RESIZE_180x18012163870083?profile=RESIZE_180x18012163870453?profile=RESIZE_180x18012163870464?profile=RESIZE_180x180

MOONRAY MOTHERS SKIN HC

12253878679?profile=RESIZE_400xStory: Brandon Graham | Art/Cover: Brandon Graham, Xurxo G. Penalta | Living the Line | $35.00

In a post-human world, the man of miium is born. Created to avenge a slain goddess, our nameless warrior travels an unrecognizable landscape, constantly evolving with new wonders and terrors: Zanikam pirates, deadly reflections, a living bridge, and a red tear in the sky. Written and drawn by Eisner-award-winning author and artist Brandon Graham and featuring artist Xurxo G. Penalta, Moonray presents a mind-altering new dawn for a distant sci-fi future unlike any other. This bold graphic odyssey births the Moonray universe, from comic book to video game and beyond.

• What th--!?

THE GREAT BEYOND HC

12254318456?profile=RESIZE_400xStory/Art: Léa Murawiec | Drawn & Quarterly | Mature | $32.95

Manel Naher wants out. In a world where your name is currency, it's tough to make ends meet. It's even tougher when you share a name with a rising pop star. This stylish, absurd comedy of contemporary manners skewers the human condition in persistent self-promo.

• D&Q tends to skew highbrow, so this could be.
  • Here’s a PREVIEW.

BEAUTIFUL SOLDIERS #1 

12253861656?profile=RESIZE_400x12253861672?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story: Lashawn Colvin | Art/Cover: Iwan Nazif | Scout | $5.99

The Beautiful Soldiers are the descendants of an alien race, capable of great power over their own element: Earth, Air, Fire, and Water. Terra, Cassie, Kasumi, and Pau Wau learn that they must find the legendary Fifth Element before other Elementals who wish to use its power to destroy the Earth.

• This seems like something Zenescope should be publishing.

MORE PREVIEWS

RIVERS OF LONDON HERE BE DRAGONS #4 (OF 4) 

12254332654?profile=RESIZE_180x18012254332865?profile=RESIZE_180x18012254332689?profile=RESIZE_180x18012254332483?profile=RESIZE_180x18012254333073?profile=RESIZE_180x180

ROBOTECH: RICK HUNTER #2 (OF 4) 

12254333271?profile=RESIZE_180x18012254333663?profile=RESIZE_180x18012254333673?profile=RESIZE_180x180

12254333686?profile=RESIZE_180x18012254334052?profile=RESIZE_180x18012254334070?profile=RESIZE_180x18012254333882?profile=RESIZE_180x180

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I learned from the Black Panther movie how M'Baku was properly pronounced

Did you though? I'm sure you are aware of the difference between how Leonard Nimoy pronounced "T'Pring" on Star Trek (the TV show) and how he pronounced "T'Planahath" in Star Trek IV. And what is the "proper" pronunciation of "Hippolyta" according to DC Comics? I think it differs based on nickname of the particular character in question: Lyta or Polly. One time on an episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Joss Whedon introduced a character with an "M-apostrophe" name and Dawn decided it was pronounced like "Mmm... cookies!"

Nice work, Marvel PR!

Sarcasm?

SUPERMAN #7/#850 is an oversize anniversary issue.

Only if you use "Marvel Math" (and even then it's still not technically an "anniversary").

COMPLETE DICK TRACY HC v1-2

The thing about this is, when IDW published The Complete Dick Tracy, they released the first six volumes (the first ten years of the strip) in small volumes. When they got to 1941, they switched to the same size as their other "Library of American Comics" series (Little Orphan Annie, Blondie, Terry & the Pirates, etc.)... except the Sundays weren't in color. Now Clover Press is rereleasing the first six volumes in the same format as the other 23 volumes in the series. Would I like to have 29 volumes that match? Sure, but I'm not going to "rebuy" them. Is Clover going to add color to the Sundays? I don't know, but if they do and it sells, you can bet they'll continue on. 1930s Dick Tracy is worth owning, but it's not worth duplicating. My question is why didn't IDW release those volumes at that size with color Sundays in the first place? 

DAUNTLESS DAMES: HIGH-HEELED HEROES OF THE COMIC STRIPS HC

I do not recall seeing this solicited and I know I didn't pre-order it, but you're right: it looks awesome! I hope my LCS ordered one for the shelf.

BINGE BOOKS

(Got this from the full list.) Wow, it's been so long since I have seen one, I didn't know Binge Books was still a thing.

• Val Mayerik seems to have returned to comic book work. Sitcomics is announcing his work in a recent (or soon to be) release.

• Did you though?

Oh! And Ra's al Ghul. How many different "official" ways has that been pronounced on television in movies and in cartoons?

• 12257750460?profile=RESIZE_930x

TOMORROW GIRL BEACH OFF SPECIAL #1

The style of this cover reminds me of the Jaws billboard.

12254323685?profile=RESIZE_400xStory/Art: Various | Antarctic Press | $4.99

Time for some fun, fun, fun in the summer sun, sun, sun for the Maid of Might and a boatload of A.P. characters from all up and down the coast!  And if villains try to get sand in anyone's shorts, TG just might have to smack up a beach!

• I assume the hot blonde is the selling point, so here ya go.
  • Did you though? I'm sure you are aware of the difference between how Leonard Nimoy pronounced "T'Pring" on Star Trek (the TV show) and how he pronounced "T'Planahath" in Star Trek IV

I'm going with En-Kan-Too because of the pun, which I assume was deliberate.

Sarcasm?

What gave me away? Were my lips moving again? Dang it!

1930s Dick Tracy is worth owning, but it's not worth duplicating. 

That's what I wanted to hear. I don't buy many comic-strip collections, and I didn't buy Dick Tracy when IDW launched its series. Now I can start from the beginning with a consistent trade dress with a series "worth owning." I've ordered Vols 1-2.

Val Mayerik seems to have returned to comic book work.

When artists disappear for years or decades, I always assume (rightly or wrongly) that they've found work in fields where they don't "work for hire" and get ripped off as badly. Then when they come back, I have to guess it's because they've made their bundle, and they're back for love of the medium. None of this is probably true, but in my head here in my padded room it makes perfect sense.

Oh! And Ra's al Ghul. How many different "official" ways has that been pronounced on television in movies and in cartoons?

Don't get me started. Having been exposed to so many pronunciations, none of them consistent even in the same show, I can't even stay consistent in a single conversation.

I didn't know Binge Books was still a thing.

Sitcomics is announcing his work in a recent (or soon to be) release.

As I'm sure you're both aware, Sitcomics and Binge Books are by the same publisher.

12257750460?profile=RESIZE_930x

Ha! Forgot about this!

• I remember that Sitcomics used to go by another name, but I guess I forgot which one.

• DAUNTLESS DAMES: HIGH-HEELED HEROES OF THE COMIC STRIPS HC

I do not recall seeing this solicited and I know I didn't pre-order it, but you're right: it looks awesome! I hope my LCS ordered one for the shelf.

My LCS didn't order one for the shelf, but I haven't been able to stop thinking about it so I "post-pre-odered" it (to coin a phrase). Because my LCS didn't order on for the shelf, I should still qualify for my pre-order discount.

This reply was deleted.