TOP PUBLISHERS

MARVEL COMICS

MARVEL MEOW #1 collects the Infinity Comics series starring various superheroes' pet cats, with a new story added. I'm not into cats or Infinity Comics, but if you are, here's a thing you might like.

X-MEN: THE HIDDEN YEARS OMNIBUS HC: I'm trying to wean myself off buying collections of material I already have in another form, but this will fit so nicely between collections of the orginal series and All-New, All-Different! This series supposedly fills the gap between the last issue of the original The X-Men in 1970 and Giant-Size X-Men #1, and straddled the line between John Byrne's best work and where I think he started coloring outside the lines (by arbitrarily "improving" Marvel canon). So, IIRC, it's a mixed bag. But it does sort-of explain why the X-Men were in Marvel Team-Up #4, how the Secret Empire got their hands on Angel in Captain America, where Magneto got the idea to team up with Sub-Mariner in Fantastic Four #102-104, and so forth. It wasn't necessary, but it scratched an itch.

BEWARE THE PLANET OF THE APES #1 (OF 4)

STL294735.jpg?profile=RESIZE_180x180

12336932063?profile=RESIZE_180x18012336932455?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story: Marc Guggenheim | Art: Alvaro Lopez | Cover: Taurin Clarke | Teen+ | $4.99

This January, witness an all-new chapter behind the foundation of the Planet of the Apes mythos in BEWARE THE PLANET OF THE APES #1! Written by Marc Guggenheim and drawn by Álvaro López, this four-issue limited series will bring readers back to the groundbreaking original film saga with a prequel adventure to 1968’s Planet of the Apes, the influential movie that kicked off the ape domination of science fiction throughout the ‘70s and beyond!

In a hostile world run by aggressive gorillas, scientists Cornelius and Zira are the only apes alive who see value in the mute, dumb human race — but even they know human capabilities have severe limits. So when their nephew Lucius goes missing, it is with great trepidation that they turn to a human ally, a young woman who will someday earn the moniker “Nova”...

"I’ve been entertained and intrigued by Planet of the Apes ever since I got a Mego Doctor Zaius doll as a birthday present, and my local television station ran the original pentalogy every afternoon for a week in the summertime," Guggenheim shared. "In many ways, Apes is one of the OG franchises, filled with mystery, fascinating characters and some truly off-the-wall surprises. That’s the spirit I’m working to evoke with BEWARE THE PLANET OF THE APES.”

That reminds me: I still need to see the latest series of movies. This series seems based on the ones I have seen.

KID VENOM: ORIGINS #1 (ONE-SHOT)

STL295094.jpg?profile=RESIZE_400x12336933256?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story/Art: Taigami | Teen+ | $4.99

THIS IS KID VENOM!

For the first time collected in one issue, the full four parts of KID VENOM from DEATH OF THE VENOMVERSE! Also, behind-the-scenes content never before seen, including the original work that brought Taigami to Marvel! Plus: A glimpse at what the future holds for KID VENOM!  

In addition, KID VENOM: ORIGINS #1 will reveal Taigami’s future plans for the character as both Kintaro and his symbiote Clinter prepare to make the leap to bigger things later next year!

Hailing from 10th century Japan, Kintaro will do anything to protect his village from mysterious symbiote attacks, even if it means bonding to a symbiote of his own! As he attaches himself to a new symbiote entity dubbed Clinter, Kintaro embraces his wild new abilities as Kid Venom! But is he in way over his head when Carnage’s fury swings his way?

On introducing this character to the Marvel Universe, Taigami said: “It is an honor. I was a big fan of the Marvel Universe since I was in school, so this feels unreal that the characters and the stories that I came up with are in that Universe, and I still can’t believe it!

“Kid Venom was based on a one-shot that I sent for a manga contest Shonen Magazine and Marvel held in 2018. One of the rules for the contest was [to use a theme or a character from Marvel and write and draw a first episode for a new series] and the theme that I chose was symbiote. 

“The next thing that I thought was who would be the best host for a symbiote. There were already many Venoms and there were enough variations, so I thought it had be something totally new to be recognized. In Japan there are several famous folklores such as ‘Momotaro’ and ‘Urashimataro.’ Among them, there is a story of ‘Kintaro.’ The legend is about a boy who was strong, lived with his mother in Mount Ashigara. He later was hired by Minamoto Yorimitsu, a very high-ranked samurai and defeats many yokai. Later he becomes one of the four samurais of Minamoto Yorimitsu. This story is a mix of folklore and a historical story from the Heian Era of Japan. So when I mixed Symbiote to the legend of Kintaro, ‘Kid Venom’ was born.”

On Kid Venom’s future, Taigami shared: “The story that I had the chance to work on this time is just a small part of Kintaro and the symbiote in the Heian Era. How Kintaro come to be and what will happen to him? And how will that world and the modern world will be connected? I hope I can have fun working on those story deeply. And I hope that my story will become a starting point for the people to know and have interest in the Japanese legends and cultures for the people around the world.”

So there's a Spider-Boy AND a Kid Venom, now? What's next, a Young Avengers? 

The Japanese angle does make this more interesting than the other symbiotes. But it's still Venom-verse, and I'm not biting.

MIGUEL O’HARA: SPIDER-MAN 2099 #1 (OF 5)

STL294747.jpg?profile=RESIZE_180x180

12336933655?profile=RESIZE_180x18012336933676?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story: Steve Orlando | Art: Devmalya Pramanik | Cover: Nick Bradshaw | Variant: Todd Nauck Teen+ | $4.99

BEWARE — MARVEL ZOMBIE: 2099! MIGUEL O'HARA teams up with BLADE 2099 to take on a new horrific threat to NUEVA YORK! Introducing the MARVEL ZOMBIE of 2099! He lives! He strikes! And no spider can hold him! Will SPIDER-MAN be able to stop the ever-evolving zombie infection before it takes hold of his mother and the citizens of the Barrio?

Spider-Verse superstar Miguel O’Hara is back with a monster of a new mission in MIGUEL O'HARA: SPIDER-MAN 2099! This five-issue weekly limited series features writer’s Steve Orlando return to the character and the fan-favorite 2099 timeline age following his work on Spider-Man 2099: Exodus and Spider-Man 2099: Dark Genesis. Joined by an all-star lineup of artists, Orlando will pit Miguel against new 2099 takes on classic horror icons including Marvel zombies, Dracula, Werewolf by Night, Terror and Man-Thing.

Fans can get a new look at the monster mash in store on Todd Nauck’s new connecting cover. Adorning the first five issues, the epic piece shows Miguel and his allies, Moon Knight 2099 and Blade 2099, jumping into action as the horrors of 2099 are unleashed!

“Returning to 2099 has been a blast, especially with the chance to do this series of one-shots crashing Miguel up against some of Marvel's greatest horror icons--all of whom are newly debuting in 2099!” Orlando said. “I can't think of a better reality to work in than the world of 2099 — that dark, neon projection of our own modern day. And no matter the horror coming in the series, Spider-Man 2099 is set to defend his city and his people — whether it's with a gravity-defying moon shot, an infestation of next-generation zombies, or helping a mercenary werewolf finally cut his leash!”

Spider-Man 2099 was the best of a lame lot when the 2099 initiative began, but that doesn't mean I'm interested in seeing more of him. However, I do like monsters, and this title is going to give us the 2099 versions of Simon Garth, Dracula, Werewolf by Night, Terror (bleah) and Man-Thing. Most of 'em could easily be "our" versions of the characters, since they're immortal-ish (Zombie, Dracula, Man-Thing, maybe Terror).

12332363055?profile=RESIZE_710x

VENGEANCE OF THE MOON KNIGHT #1

STL294764.jpg?profile=RESIZE_180x18012224705653?profile=RESIZE_400xStory: Jed MacKay | Art: Alessandro Cappuccio | Cover: David Finch | Teen+ | $5.99

LONG LIVE THE KNIGHT!

Clad in the black of mourning, the Midnight Mission remains! But who is left to keep the faith? And how have they been changed by the Black Spectre's master stroke? The next chapter of MOON KNIGHT starts here as the congregants of the Midnight Mission pick up the pieces and carry on the mission ... and find themselves faced with a mysterious new enemy in eerily familiar vestments.

"MOON KNIGHT may be dying, but VENGEANCE OF THE MOON KNIGHT rises, clawing itself from the grave!” MacKay said. “We're thrilled to bring the next chapter of this saga to uneasy life as the Midnight Mission reels from a recent loss ... and yet, Moon Knight still stalks the night time streets? Despite the apocalyptic events of MOON KNIGHT #28-30, we have plenty left to tell in the story of the Moon Knight, and I'm excited for readers to join us!"

"Working with Tom [Brevoort] and Jed [MacKay] is one of the most natural things I've ever done, we are in perfect sync and I hope our relationship lasts much longer,” Cappuccio added. “This new Moon Knight cycle will hold several surprises for readers and I look forward to being able to show them to you in the coming months.”

Explaining the new design, Alessandro Cappuccio said, “We needed a new black suit in this series so here we are! For the design, I took inspiration from ancient Egyptian banded armor while trying to stay true to the mood of the character. I replaced the classic batons with similar weapons that are reminiscent of the flowers of the Nile as depicted in the hieroglyphics. He is a new Moon Knight in both appearance and spirit and needed a change of look to suit the situation as you will see!"

I told you not to worry, that there'd be a new Moon Knight before Marc Spector was even cold! (Although the new guy's probably just a temp.)

12336934494?profile=RESIZE_180x18012336934691?profile=RESIZE_180x18012336935059?profile=RESIZE_180x18012336935072?profile=RESIZE_180x180

"Gang War"

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #41

STL293426.jpg?profile=RESIZE_400xStory: Zeb Wells | Art/Cover: John Romita Jr. | Teen | $4.99

GANG WAR CONTINUES!

With all of New York's super underworld fighting for dominance, you didn't think Wilson Fisk, the former Kingpin of Crime, would sit it out, did you?

I did kinda wonder what Fisk's current status quo is, given he's not The Kingpin or "da mare" any more. And this sure sounds like his happy place.

12336935865?profile=RESIZE_180x18012336935874?profile=RESIZE_180x18012336935695?profile=RESIZE_180x180

"Fall of X"

FALL OF THE HOUSE OF X #1 (OF 5)

12327077664?profile=RESIZE_710x

Story: Gerry Duggan | Art: Lucas Werneck | Cover: Pepe Larraz | Variant: Artgerm | Teen+ | $5.99

KRAKOA HAS JUST BEGUN TO FIGHT!

In 2019’s HOUSE OF X and POWERS OF X, visionary writer Jonathan Hickman reshaped the X-Men mythos with the founding of Krakoa, the discovery of mutant resurrection, the reveal of Moira MacTaggert’s past lives, and a glimpse into a shocking future where mutantkind was crushed under the might of the Sentinels, Nimrod and post-humanity! In January, these critical plot threads and more come to a head in the finale of the Krakoan age: Gerry Duggan and Lucas Werneck’s FALL OF THE HOUSE OF X and Kieron Gillen and R.B. Silva’s RISE OF THE POWERS OF X. This all-new pair of interconnected series crafted by some the X-Men’s chief world builders will deliver the climactic ending to over four years of revolutionary mutant storytelling and positions the X-Men for their next great evolution! The saga kicks off with two pivotal battles as a classic lineup of iconic X-Men have their long-awaited showdown with Orchis while in the future, a small band of surviving X-Men struggle with their stolen destiny.

Mutantkind has never had a greater fall. From the highs of Krakoa — their own glorious nation, a place where they were safe and happy — to the lowest of lows. Outlawed, hunted, killed, most of their kind missing or dead, and now, one their greatest leaders, Cyclops, is on trial facing a death penalty. Ready or not, the time has come for the X-Men to make their final stand against the forces that have struck them low. The day is now. The place is here. The tale of the house Xavier built will long be told ... and few will forget this darkest chapter. 

Krakoa, the living island nation that’s welcomed, protected and advanced mutantkind, has fallen! Now, the scattered X-Men recover and regroup in the FALL OF X era, bracing themselves for the fight to restore hope! It’ll be a war across space and time that will be fought on two fronts: the present-day in FALL OF THE HOUSE OF X and the not-so-distant and the far future in RISE OF THE POWERS OF X. All of mutantkind has a role to play but two squads of X-Men will be at the forefront in the opening issues.

FALL OF THE HOUSE OF X #1 will follow a team of Xavier’s most dedicated students — Shadowkat, Wolverine, Colossus, Nightcrawler, Rogue and Gambit — as they seek to crush Orchis, the group of villains that brought down Krakoa. Set 10 years into a dark future, RISE OF THE POWER OF X #1 will introduce a new team of X-Men — Shadowtiger, Iron Man, Synch, Captain Krakoa and Wolverine — who are ready to make a bold sacrifice to prevent an even more tragic fate for mutantkind. Epic in scale with stakes beyond measure, both missions are vital in the struggle not just for mutant survival but for all existence!

On penning the final chapter of Krakoa, Gillen said, "I'm trying to not let the responsibility of it get to me — the Krakoan age, above anything else, is a story. Stories are about their structure — the potential of the opening, the developing richness of the middle and (relevantly) the elegance and/or sledgehammer to the face of the denouement. I only got into comics to do good work. I need this to be good, and I think it is."

So the final Fall is finally falling. And it's not even fall! Seriously, it seems like the X-Men have been falling for months (because they have).

For comparison's sake, I dug up the old "House of X/Powers of X" promo image, which is the basis for the promo image above. Here 'tis:

r/xmen - Celebrating the Evolution of Krakoa (art by Mark Brooks)

As you can see, Cyclops and Marvel Girl have taken center stage, in place of Moira MacTaggert and Professor X. They are backed by Prof. X, White Queen and Old Cable, instead of by Magneto (and possibly Cyclops and Dazzler), who is a minor figure here. Apocalypse and old Cable are at the top of the old promo, but now it's (from left) young Cable, Firestar, Juggernaut, Synch and Deadpool. I assume this new positioning has significance as to the roles these characters will play.

There are some curious bad-guy inclusions in the new promo: Exodus. Selene. Omega Red. Abigail Brand. I note the absence of Beast and Sinister.

Rise of the Powers of X #1 isn't far behind, debuting next week.

STL293698.jpg?profile=RESIZE_180x18012332366501?profile=RESIZE_180x18012336929875?profile=RESIZE_180x18012336929893?profile=RESIZE_180x18012336930266?profile=RESIZE_180x18012336930465?profile=RESIZE_180x180

12332352466?profile=RESIZE_180x18012332352478?profile=RESIZE_180x18012332352495?profile=RESIZE_180x18012332352101?profile=RESIZE_180x18012332352877?profile=RESIZE_180x180

DC COMICS

STRANGE ADVENTURES THE DELUXE EDITION HC collects the Tom King miniseries just in time for the current Adam Strange discussion.

SHAZAM #7: Black Adam is the guest villain. 

TEEN TITANS GO! TO THE LIBRARY! TP: The cartoon Teen Titans go to the library. There's a bit more to it than that, of course, involving a scheming villain and his villanous scheme. 

KNEEL BEFORE ZOD #1 (OF 12)

1023DC033.jpg?profile=RESIZE_400xStory: Joe Casey | Art: Dan McDaid | Cover: Jason Shawn Alexander | $4.99

General Zod was Krypton's most notorious criminal. Now he has an entire planet to rule — but what happens when the most dangerous individual in the universe gets everything he ever wanted? Obviously, he wants more — and he'll stop at nothing to get it — in the most brutal series you'll read this year! This is not a hero's journey. This is a dark ride, brought to you by the sick and twisted minds of Adventures of Superman writer Joe Casey and artist Dan McDaid in his monumental mainline DC debut. For General Zod and his family, the descent into hell has just begun.

I confess I haven't been following the Super-books since Grant Morrison left New 52. I gather there are a lot of Super-people running about now that didn't exist before. And it's infectious, because apparently Zod has an extended family, too. It's the last nail in the coffin for John Byrne's 1987 "last survivor of Krypton" concept. There are now enough Kryptonians to populate Chicago (if you count Kandor).

Great Weisinger's ghost! Is going back to the Silver Age well the secret to revitalizing the Superman mythos?

1023DC034.jpg?profile=RESIZE_180x1801023DC036.jpg?profile=RESIZE_180x180 1023DC035.jpg?profile=RESIZE_180x180

12332418083?profile=RESIZE_180x18012332418278?profile=RESIZE_180x18012332418655?profile=RESIZE_180x18012332418462?profile=RESIZE_180x180

TITANS: BEAST WORLD TOUR — ATLANTIS #1 (ONE-SHOT)

1023DC015.jpg?profile=RESIZE_400x1023DC016.jpg?profile=RESIZE_180x1801023DC017.jpg?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story: Sina Grace, Frank Tieri, Meghan Fitzmartin | Art: Riccardo Federici, Valentine De Landro, more | Cover: Mikel Janin

BEAST WORLD PLUNGES INTO THE DEEP!

As Garth reacts to the crisis amongst his former Titans teammates, all hell breaks loose in the depths of Atlantis! It's a clash of Aquaman and Tempest in a deep-sea battle royale that points the way to new horizons ahead. Plus, megalodons versus Mera and Jackson Hyde, and Black Manta channels his inner manta in this exciting next installment of Beast World!

Mera has always been my favorite of the Aqua-family. Her powers are powerful and visual (unlike Aquaman), and discrete and easily understood (unlike Garth/Tempest), plus I had a crush on her when I was, like, 8 (blame Nick Cardy for that one). Best of all, when the Li'l Capn learned that "Sea of Tranquillity" was properly called Mare Tranquillitatis*, he realized Mera's name was based on the Latin (or French) word for "sea." Makes me wonder if her name should be pronounced MARE-uh, instead of MEER-uh, as I've been saying for more than 50 years. How was it pronounced in Aquaman the movie? (Tagline: You'll believe a man can swim!)

* I watched the Japanese TV show Sea of Silence on Netflix, which is apparently how the Japanese translate Mare Tranquillitatis. It's a pretty good show.

12332419059?profile=RESIZE_180x18012332419071?profile=RESIZE_180x18012332418489?profile=RESIZE_180x18012332419100?profile=RESIZE_180x180

DARK HORSE

CRITICAL ROLE: TALES OF EXANDRIA II — ARTAGAN #1 (OF 4)

12332364857?profile=RESIZE_400xStory: Sam Maggs | art: Aviv Or | Cover: Toby Sharp | $3.99

The world of Critical Role’s Exandria expands with the brand-new series, Critical Role: The Tales of Exandria ll — Artagan. Created in consultation with the cast of Critical Role, this new adventure is written by Sam Maggs (Critical Role: The Mighty Nein Origins — Jester Lavorre, Critical Role: The Mighty Nein Origins — Nott the Brave), illustrated by Aviv Or, colored by Cris Peter (Critical Role: The Tales of Exandria —The Bright Queen) and lettered by Ariana Maher (Critical Role: Vox Machina Origins). The first issue will also feature a cover by Toby Sharp.

The powerful and mischievous Archfey Artagan, also known as the Traveler, finally gets his day in court--which is the LAST thing he wanted. But since he’s here, he’s happy to tell the Seelie and Unseelie Courts how he’s graced the various material and other realms with his knowledge and mentorship. But there are witnesses who may have a different take, and the consequences could be dire.

Praise for Critical Role: Tales of Exandria l — The Bright Queen:

“Bringing in more from the Bright Queen and the story of the Luxon is so engrossing, and with a series this lovely, there will hopefully be much more from the Dynasty and Exandria in the following entries.” — Fanbase Press

"If you are a fan of Critical Role, you owe it to yourself to get this book." — The Geekly Grind

This is another video game-derived character I know nothing about. But maybe it's your favorite!

Here's a PREVIEW.

MORE PUBLISHERS

PINE AND MERRIMAC #1: The FIRST LOOK for Boom's new title doesn't tell us much. The premise is that a former big-city detective retires to a small town with her ex-MMA husband to open a P.I. firm. But, we're told, the town is more than it seems (because otherwise there'd be no story). What we don't know is what kind of ne'er-do-wells the duo is up against. Gangsters? Demons? Pirates? Highwaymen? Jaywalkers? I hope it's scofflaws. They've got it coming!

ALLEY OOP IN THE LAND OF NO RETURN (Manuscript Press): Comic strip collector’s alert!

DISNEY'S WISH GN (Random House) adapts the animated movie.

ESSENTIAL JUDGE DREDD TOUR OF DUTY BOOK 1 (OF 7) TP (Rebellion/2000 AD) begins a long storyline where Mr. “I am the law” starts championing mutant rights.

VALIANT CLASSICS ARCHER & ARMSTRONG REVIVAL TP (Valiant) involves some Barry Windsor-Smith art and the occasional Frank Miller cover.

POETRY OF RAN VOL 1 GN

12159221888?profile=RESIZE_400xStory/Art: Yusuke Osawa | Titan Manga | B&W | 160 pages | $12.99

Perfect for fans of romance, poetry, and action, The Poetry of Ran is the story of warrior poet Torue who meets disgraced monster hunter Ran, and decides to compose an epic ballad of his deeds!

In this high-fantasy tale there are monster who devour people and all their evil — and the only way to banish them is to absorb these impurities. Torue, a young bard struggling to make a name for herself encounters one such monster hunter, a young man name Ran and decides to travel with him to gain inspiration from his exploits!

More manga from Titan. If the weekly ship list is any indication, manga sells very well in the U.S. (and UK) now.

12159221900?profile=RESIZE_400x12159221682?profile=RESIZE_400x12159222294?profile=RESIZE_400x12159222474?profile=RESIZE_400x

QUESTED: THE FOUR HENCHES (ONE-SHOT)

12336923059?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story: Michael Calero, Thomas Parson | Art/Cover: Kit Wallis | Massive | $4.99

Celebrate the continuing adventures of Jinx and friends as series artist Kit Wallis returns with this legendary cover design.

In "The Four Henches Adventure," the first one shot from the fan-favorite series Quested, creators Michael Calero and Thomas Parson explore the origin of an epic friendship.

The Henchler: When Jinx realizes he needs some outside muscle to help steal a high end collectible that's eluded him for years, he puts out an open call across Faerbraun in search of the next top Hench! This One-Shot issue takes us back to the origin story of the greatest bromance in all of fantasy (no not Sam and Frodo), When Hamo enters the competition it's Hench-at-first-site.

At first blush, this looks like it's for kids. But the PREVIEW makes it look too violent for the chillin.

12336923480?profile=RESIZE_180x18012336923491?profile=RESIZE_180x18012336924452?profile=RESIZE_180x180

MORE PREVIEWS

CONAN THE BARBARIAN #6

12327069460?profile=RESIZE_180x18012327069471?profile=RESIZE_180x18012327069086?profile=RESIZE_180x18012327069101?profile=RESIZE_180x180

12327070252?profile=RESIZE_180x18012327070258?profile=RESIZE_180x18012327070087?profile=RESIZE_180x180

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• X-MEN: THE HIDDEN YEARS: I remember specifically that John Byrne's Spider-Man: Chapter One and X-Men: The Hidden Years were announced simultaneously, but that the X-Men series had to wait its turn on the schedule until the Spider-Man series was complete. Thet put my nose out of joint because I was looking forward to Hidden Years very much, but didn't see a need for Chapter One at all, then or now. That meant 12 fewer issues of Hidden Years that could have been published. I also remember that, prior to Hidden Years, the Busiek/Perez version of Avengers that spun out of "Heroes Return" had been my favorite Marvel title, but Hidden Years bumped it out of first place in my estimation (for a while, anyway). I also remember that, when Joe Quesada became EIC, one of the first editorial decisions he made was to cut Hidden Years from the scedule on the basis that fans might find it "too confusing" because it was set in the past. Tracy would say that I need to "let it go."

BEWARE THE PLANET OF THE APES: I'm a big POTA fan, but this doesn't sound all that interesting to me. I'll try it, though.

FALL OF THE HOUSE OF X:There are some curious bad-guy inclusions in the new promo.

They all looks like a super-villains to me. I'll take "The Hidden Years" over "Fall of House of X" any day... and twice on Sundays.

STRANGE ADVENTURES THE DELUXE EDITION HC collects the Tom King miniseries just in time for the current Adam Strange discussion.

Thanks for the plug! But what were you just saying about weaning yourself off buying collections of material you already have in another form? Now here you go, tempting me!

It's the last nail in the coffin for John Byrne's 1987 "last survivor of Krypton" concept.

Oh, that ship sailed long ago...

s-l1200.webp

Makes me wonder if her name should be pronounced MARE-uh, instead of MEER-uh, as I've been saying for more than 50 years.

That ship has probably sailed as well.

VALIANT CLASSICS ARCHER & ARMSTRONG REVIVAL TP 

Aw, I thought this was solicited as a hardcover!

Adam Strange
    I'm thinking of reading a few Adam Strange comics from over the years, but I'd like to know what was the best representative story in which he appear…
  • Apparently Rise of the Powers of X and Fall of the House of X will last for nearly all of the first semester of 2024.  It will be almost a full year of the "Fall".

Seems excessive to me, but I assume that the creators enjoy the fluidity of these transition periods, which give them a bit more of creative freedom.

• AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #41

STL293426.jpg?profile=RESIZE_400xStory: Zeb Wells | Art/Cover: John Romita Jr. | Teen | $4.99

GANG WAR CONTINUES!

With all of New York's super underworld fighting for dominance, you didn't think Wilson Fisk, the former Kingpin of Crime, would sit it out, did you?

I did kinda wonder what Fisk's current status quo is, given he's not The Kingpin or "da mare" any more. And this sure sounds like his happy place.

In a couple of years somebody will say "Wow! Did you see how much Spider-Man #1 is worth? And I have it!"

• Thet put my nose out of joint because I was looking forward to Hidden Years very much, but didn't see a need for Chapter One at all, then or now.

Spider-Man: Chapter One was foremost in my mind when I referenced John Byrne "coloring outside the lines" and "re-writing Marvel canon." What a wad of bad ideas.

I also remember that, when Joe Quesada became EIC, one of the first editorial decisions he made was to cut Hidden Years from the scedule on the basis that fans might find it "too confusing" because it was set in the past. Tracy would say that I need to "let it go."

For your mental health, the anger should go. But as for the opinion, that Quesada was wrong to cancel Hidden Years for that insulting reason, is exactly the same as mine.

But what were you just saying about weaning yourself off buying collections of material you already have in another form? Now here you go, tempting me!

God, I know, I know. I keep saying "I'm not going to buy any more X" and two weeks later I'm justifying to myself buying more X. Collecting comics is hard!

They all looks like a super-villains to me.

One of the few aspects of the Krakoa era that I didn't like, that I kept hoping they'd explain but didn't, was all the supervillains on Krakoa with absolutely no animosity for the X-Men, and vice versa. Look, if someone had tried to kill me multiple times, maybe I could force myself to not tear their eyes out every time I saw them, but I certainly wouldn't invite them to my next cookout. But that's what was happening. The lack of resentments between former antagonists made no sense to me -- the X-Men were hanging out with Apocalypse and Sabretooth! -- and I kept hoping that when everything came out in the wash, we'd find out that Xavier or Krakoa itself or something was affecting mutant minds so that the X-periment would work. But no, not really. It was just, I'm afraid to say, writer's fiat.

Anyway, Sinister is a SUPER-bad guy now, so even the other mutants hate him, and ditto Hank McCoy. And Sabretooth. But you watch: I think they're in the process of redeeming both Mystique and Destiny. And no, I don't buy that, either. But hey, I still think Magneto got off too easy for being a mass murderer.

Apparently Rise of the Powers of X and Fall of the House of X will last for nearly all of the first semester of 2024.  It will be almost a full year of the "Fall".

So it's going to go from fall 2023 to fall 2024?

Seems excessive to me, but I assume that the creators enjoy the fluidity of these transition periods, which give them a bit more of creative freedom.

I rather enjoy them for that reason, too. When nothing's settled, any outcome is possible, so it's fun to follow. Once everything settles down to a status quo, there's going to be things I like and things I don't, and I'll be stuck with them either way. (Like supervillains and superheroes hanging out like old friends on Krakoa for a couple of years.) 

In a couple of years somebody will say "Wow! Did you see how much Spider-Man #1 is worth? And I have it!"

Yep.

• HIDDEN YEARS OMNIBUS: But it does sort-of explain why the X-Men were in Marvel Team-Up #4, how the Secret Empire got their hands on Angel in Captain America...

That's what you remember because that's what we were promised, but that's not what was delivered (because of Quesada's premature cancellation). But, when the series was cancelled, the Beast had not yet mutated and was still a memeber of the team, which means Byrne was noy allowed to get even as far as Amazing Adventures #11, much less the Secret Empire saga (and I was really looking forward to reading that one from the mutants' POV). We did, however, get the true "retroactive continuity" of Fantastic Four #102-104, however, which was done so well it makes me regret Quesada's cancellation all that much more. Let it go, Jeff.

• There is a Rom variant cover for Amazing Spider-Man #41.  Is Rom coming back to Marvel?  

It sounds unlikely that Marvel would license the character just for that cover.

• Yes, I believe so. Marvel has also recently released (or at least solicited) an omnibus edition of the first 25 or so issues of the original series and, just last week (I think it was), they released a "Marvel Tales" one-shot reprint of the times the X-Men guest-starred (#17-18, 31-32).

1500x1500_afc5b3b1f4e0ab65d03c0c5c95c13ba8d20f5ddcd8fdebee81b76530.jpg

• Thanks for the correction. I remembered the Magneto as having happened (although I don't remember the details), and just assumed the others happened as well, and I'd just forgotten them. But now, knowing they didn't, I'm with you in being really angry at the cancellation of Hidden Years

Also, the Romnibus is schedule for this month, but isn't on the schedule yet through Jan. 17.

• I guess, technically, John Byrne could come back to do more Hidden Years at any time, so long as Marvel would hire him. Then there's rumor of a John Byrne X-Men project that he did for himself (as I understand it) which is completed and in the can but Marvel is not interested in publishing it.* And does John Byrne even do comics anymore? (He's 73 years old.) I can't even remember the last series he did. Was it that Star Trek photo-series? That was pretty good, but it disappeared with no advance notice whatsoever. 

*ACCORDING TO WIKIPEDIAIn 2018, Byrne announced X-Men Elsewhen, a fan-fiction of how he would've expanded the story of the X-Men after "the Dark Phoenix Saga". The series, written and pencilled by Byrne and published on his website, has 32 issues as of December 2022.

Man, would I like to see that in print!

• John Byrne's last published comicbooks seem to be IDW's "Trio" and its follow-up "Triple Helix", which stopped without finishing back in 2014.  They were very blatant takes on the basic concepts of the Fantastic Four and X-Men.

After that, also through IDW, came this photonovels series that you mention, "Star Trek: New Visions", which seem to have ended in 2018.

Then he drew the last few strips of "Funky Winkerbean", having worked previously in that strip back in 2003, in the last few days of 2022.

Apparently he hasn't revealed any further work since.

This reply was deleted.