I'm leaving town for the weekend, so this is going up early. I hope little changes before next week!

Go HERE for full list. 

TOP 5 PUBLISHERS

MARVEL COMICS

GHOST RIDER #20 and SENSATIONAL SHE-HULK #2 (on sale Nov. 22) will both have backup stories written and drawn by Indigenous and First Nations creators to celebrate Native American Heritage Month. The 8-page backups star Kushala the Spirit Rider and Wyatt Wingfoot, respectively. Both have Marvel’s Voices Heritage Variant Covers by Cherokee artist Roy Boney.

"Dark Droids" continues in STAR WARS: DARK DROIDS #4 and STAR WARS: DOCTOR APHRA #38.

"Fall of X" continues in ASTONISHING ICEMAN #4, CHILDREN OF THE VAULT #4 (OF 4), DARK X-MEN #4 (OF 5), JEAN GREY #4 (OF 4) and UNCANNY AVENGERS #4 (OF 5).

STAR WARS: RETURN OF THE JEDI 40TH ANNIVERSARY COVERS BY CHRIS SPROUSE #1 collects the 40 variant covers that tell the Return of the Jedi story, or at least the highlights. There's also STAR WARS: RETURN OF THE JEDI 40TH ANNIVERSARY COVERS SPROUSE #1 MOVIE VARIANT, which does the same thing, only with the vignettes rendered in movie-poster style.

MMW OMEGA THE UNKNOWN VOL 1 HC collects Omega the Unknown #1-10, which was canceled prematurely, and the wrap-up (underwhelming, IMHO) in Defenders #76-77. At least now it'll all be in one place.

ALIEN #1

Story: Declan Shalvey | Art: Andrea Broccardo & Declan Shalvey | Cover: Javi Fernández | $5.99

12183340855?profile=RESIZE_400xIn the pages of Marvel’s current ALIEN comic series, writer Declan Shalvey and artist Andrea Broccardo are unearthing terrifying new truths about the legendary Xenomorph species. The acclaimed creative team will dare to explore even darker depths of the Alien mythos in a new ALIEN #1!

The new series will take place in two time periods with Shalvey also on art duties, drawing flashback scenes of a doomed earlier crew in each issue. As readers learn more about the mistakes and goals of the first mission, they’ll discover the full unsettling scope of what the present-day protagonists have gotten themselves into! Connected to the current series but offering a fresh start for new readers, the new run will continue to develop the new subspecies of Xenomorphs that Shalvey and Broccardo have introduced while laying the groundwork for an even greater threat. Before ALIEN #1 launches, fans will get a chance to get up close and personal with this new breed of creatures in October’s ALIEN ANNUAL #1, a double-sized issue that will serve as connective tissue between story arcs.

EVERYONE WILL HEAR YOU SCREAM! The next great Alien story starts in ALIEN ANNUAL #1 and continues in the all-new ALIEN #1! In deep space spins a world infected by the universe’s greatest killers. Most people — sane people — would construct a barrier thicker than the hulls of ten Nostromos and leave it to rot. But where most people see a death trap, Weyland-Yutani sees the biggest payout in the history of civilization. And if it costs a few human lives to secure? Those come cheap here. Prepare for more corporate corruption, personal betrayals and extraordinary violence!

"It's such a joy to continue to build out our own little corner of Marvel Comics’ Alien universe with this new ‘Descendant’ story arc,” Shalvey said. “We're building on what we've done before (with some nods to previous stories) and get to dig a bit deeper in this arc (both figuratively and literally). It's also a real treat for me to draw a section of the story.”

• When Dark Horse had the Alien franchise, they basically published a series of miniseries, telling different stories about different people in different Alien adventures (and generally all dying). Maybe Marvel's going to do the same.

DEADPOOL: SEVEN SLAUGHTERS #1

Story/Art: Rob Liefeld, Various | Cover: Greg Capullo | Teen+ | $9.99

12287767257?profile=RESIZE_180x180Seven kills in seven days! Welcome to a week in the life of Wade Wilson, the best mercenary Marvel's ever had (just ask him)! From facing off with rival killers to top secret assassinations, DEADPOOL has a lot of work to do in this blood-soaked oversized issue full of fan-favorite creators past and future!

• Nope.

MARVEL MULTIVERSE ROLE-PLAYING GAME: THE CATACLYSM OF KANG HC

Story: Matt Forbeck | Cover: Jesus Aburtov | Art/Cover: Iban Coello | Kids to Adults | $49.99

10785570075?profile=RESIZE_180x180Kang the Conqueror crosses the Multiverse to find the greatest weapon in any reality, and only your Super Heroes can stop him! Written by d616 System co-creator and New York Times Best Seller Matt Forbeck (The Marvel Encyclopedia, Dungeons & Dragons: Dungeonology) and packed with illustrations by Marvel's incredible army of artists, THE CATACLYSM OF KANG features a series of six linked adventures, one for each Rank of characters, 1 through 6. Play through with a new team each time, or form a campaign that takes players from street-level heroes to cosmic champions! The book also includes dozens of brand-new character profiles for use in your game. Your adventures in the Marvel Multiverse start now!

• Beyond my ken. 

STAR WARS: VISIONS — PEACH MOMOKO #1

Story/Art: Peach Momoko | $5.99

12199461459?profile=RESIZE_180x180Starting in November, witness the Star Wars mythos transformed by some of the comic industry’s most inventive talents in STAR WARS: VISIONS! In the same spirit as the Star Wars: Visions animated anthology series, this new line of one-shots give artists from around the world the chance to infuse Star Wars storytelling with their unique cultures and backgrounds. Announced earlier today on StarWars.com, Marvel superstar Peach Momoko will lead the way with the first of these one-shots, STAR WARS: VISIONS — PEACH MOMOKO #1.

Momoko previously blended classic Marvel Comics characters storylines with Japanese folklore in breathtaking fashion in her acclaimed Demon Days saga. And earlier this year, readers got a haunting look at Momoko’s interpretation of the ways of the Sith in Star Wars: Darth Vader - Black, White & Red #1. Now see Momoko’s imagination fully unleashed with a twisted tale about embracing the power of the dark side! The story will introduce a whole new cast of characters that fans can check out now in Momoko’s original design sheets!

Centuries after the death of a great Sith Lord, a cult has grown around him and are worshipping the dark side. Ankok believes she is the successor to the Legacy of the Sith with her dark side powers! But is she truly in tune with the Force? Or is she just exploiting the people in her village? Kako and Gel are about to come face-to-face with the truth … even if it kills them!

“I really enjoy thinking about how to tell my own version of Star Wars, while keeping in mind the concepts of the original universe,” Momoko told StarWars.com.

• My favorite episode of Star Wars: Visions was the anime one. (Possibly because the light-sabers and Jedi schtick are loosely lifted from samurai mythology anyway.) This could be equally good.

12199461477?profile=RESIZE_180x18012199461488?profile=RESIZE_180x18012199461668?profile=RESIZE_400x12199461865?profile=RESIZE_180x180

SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN #1

Story: Dan Slott | Art/Cover: Mark Bagley | Teen | $5.99

12287769088?profile=RESIZE_180x180A Superior Reckoning! SPIDER-MAN faces a NEW VILLAIN from his SUPERIOR past. As she fries New York with all the power of a living star, DOC OCK makes a life-changing discovery! MARK BAGLEY and DAN SLOTT continue their Spider-Man run with this 10th-ANNIVERSARY celebration of everything that made Spider-Man Superior.

• Is this set in current continuity, or a flashback? I'm confused.

DC COMICS

DC tries to squeeze a few more dollars out of what I found to be a not-very-good story: BATMAN: THE HUSH SAGA OMNIBUS HC. (Great art, though!)

EX MACHINA: THE COMPLETE SERIES OMNIBUS HC (2023 EDITION) reprints a story I read in floppies and feel no need to re-visit.

OUTSIDERS #1 (OF 12)

Story: Jackson Lanzing, Collin Kelly | Art: Robert Carey | Cover: John Cassaday | $5.99

12287764474?profile=RESIZE_180x18012287764089?profile=RESIZE_180x180Never the End. A universe of secrets is about to come to light. Batman protects Gotham City from evil. Batman Inc. protects the rest of the known world. But what of the unknown world? What of the ancient evils in hidden tombs and forgotten tragedies from a magic-and-mad-science-fueled super-heroic century? Using his fortune, Luke Fox launches a new organization dedicated to shining light into the world's darkest corners. His first recruit: Kate Kane, the Batwoman--who will re-embrace her military background to protect Luke's dream and encounter every bit of strangeness the DCU has to offer. And just wait until you meet the Third Man ... or learn what universe-shattering secret they've discovered buried under Antarctica. Outsiders is the return of comic book archaeology, digging into all the forgotten corners of DC's history to preserve, record, and better understand the true nature of the DC Multiverse ... and the forgotten stories that make up its fabric.

• I was never thrilled with earlier incarnations of The Outsiders, in that those books just seemed like a dopey excuse to publish another Bat-book. Especially since Batman — founding Justice Leaguer, DC's most popular character, A-lister since the 1940s, star of various team-up books — is anything but an outsider. You honestly can't get more insider than Batman. Even when they took Batman out, Outsiders was still a "Friends of Batman" book and had no real reason to exist.
  • But characters who are acting outside the main arena where Batman operates ... well, they truly would be outsiders. Which gives the book a reason to exist. So paint me as hopeful. Even though it still kinda looks like "Friends of Batman."

SPEED FORCE #1 (OF 6)

Story: Jarrett Williams | Art/Cover: Daniele Di Nicuolo | $3.99

12287768080?profile=RESIZE_180x18012287768093?profile=RESIZE_180x180Wallace West and Avery Ho: the young speedsters have been Teen Titans, Justice Leaguers and above all, members of the Flash Family. As they become aware of mysterious changes happening to the Speed Force, they race to Keystone City, where they encounter old friends, new threats and a chance to forge their own paths. Spinning out of the pages of The Flash, the team of Jarrett Williams (Super Pro K.O., Rick & Morty) and Daniele Di Nicuolo (Nightwing, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers), bring the next generation of Speedsters into the Dawn of DC!

• With Dan DiDio's 5G plan D.O.A., DC's got a plethora of young superheroes with no title in which to hang out. So I'm glad to see miniseries like this, which give these characters a place to shine, and hopefully distinguish them from other characters with identical super-powers.
  • This is especially necessary with Wallace West, who shares a name with a more famous character. Although the yellow uniform, which I've always liked, helps a lot.

IMAGE COMICS

THE DEVIANT #1 (OF 9)

Story: James Tynion IV | Art: Joshua Hixson | Cover: Marco Checchetto | Variants: Joshua Hixson, Simmonds, Sorrentino, Phillips, Ward, Bermejo | 48 pages | Teen+ | $5.99

12211909667?profile=RESIZE_180x180

Multiple Eisner Award-winning writer James Tynion IV (W0RLDTR33, The Department of Truth) and acclaimed artist Joshua Hixson (The Plot, Children of the Woods), and award-winning letterer Hassan Otsmane-Elhaou unite for a pitch-black holiday horror story in The Deviant

As snow falls over Milwaukee in 1972, a blood-stained Santa Claus commits unimaginable atrocities against young men. Fifty years later, a troubled young writer interviews this so-called "Deviant Killer," who still maintains his innocence from behind bars. And as Christmas approaches once again, the past returns, wielding a sharpened ax.

The Deviant is something a little different," said Tynion IV. "A dark, focused psychological crime thriller where I get to explore the intersection of my queer identity and a broader scope of cultural transgression and deviance. This is my response to Silence of the Lambs and Jeffrey Dahmer serving as my first real glimpses of my queer identity as a young, closeted Midwestern boy. It’s one of the darkest and most personal stories I’ve ever written. It’s also a story about Christmas.”

Hixson added: “The Deviant is the kind of book I’ve been wanting to make for a long time. While I’ve been no stranger to the horror genre in my career of making comics, this story scratches a particular itch and is unlike anything I’ve been a part of. And to get to do it with James, Steve, and Hassan at Image Comics has been so creatively rewarding. I’m really excited for people to read it this holiday season.”

• Sounds a bit like the Wayne Williams story.
  • Here's a PREVIEW.

DUTCH #0

Story: Joe Casey |  Art/Cover: Nathan Fox | Variants: Ian Churchill,  Jim Rugg | Mature | $3.99

12211894676?profile=RESIZE_180x18012211894695?profile=RESIZE_180x18012211895265?profile=RESIZE_180x180

From the combustible creative team of Joe Casey and Nathan Fox, Chap Yaep’s iconic, golden era Image Comics character — Dutch — is back in action with the upcoming, Dutch #0. This new prologue chapter — which first appeared in the pages of the Image! anthology — will bring fans a splash of '90s nostalgia and new readers an entry into Dutch greatness this November.

It’s been 30 years since he served as the ultimate superhero soldier. Now his new life is shattered by an old enemy from the past. Will Dutch answer this newest call to action? And coming next year — the mayhem continues in the all-new, three-issue miniseries beginning with Dutch #1.

"This is the start of the biggest, most ambitious project I've ever done at Image Comics," said Casey. "And I'm insanely proud of what Nathan and I set up in this zero issue. Revisiting this kind of classic character, catching up with him — in real time — is a narrative luxury most superhero tales would never even attempt. So for all the old school Image fans — not to mention, for anyone who's curious what all the fuss was about back in '92 — you can't afford to miss this. But I promise you ... there's so much more to come!"

• Did they really just use words like "golden age" and "iconic" and "classic" to describe a knock-off Image character from the '90s? Lordie.

G.I. JOE: A REAL AMERICAN HERO #301

Story: Larry Hama | Art: Chris Mooneyham | Covers: Brad Anderson, Andy Kubert | $3.99

12143902252?profile=RESIZE_710xG.I. Joe: A Real American Hero, one of the longest running non-superhero comics of all time, will return in November with issue #301. Legendary series writer Larry Hama (Marvel’s Wolverine) continues his record-breaking run on the series, joined by fan-favorite artist Chris Mooneyham (DC’s Nightwing, Sgt. Rock and the Unknown Soldier) and colorist Francesco Segala (Mighty Morphin Power Rangers) breathing new life into the iconic characters, and with covers by the incomparable Andy Kubert (Marvel’s X-Men).

A new era for G.I. Joe begins in G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero #301 with this jumping on point for new readers as your favorite characters — Duke, Scarlett, Roadblock, Storm Shadow, Cobra Commander, Serpentor and more — are back for new battles, new friends, new enemies and…THE RETURN OF THE ORIGINAL SNAKE-EYES!

Each issue of G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero will also feature an open-to-order variant cover with a black and white version of Kubert’s stunning main cover.

"I am delighted to be continuing the saga of G.I. Joe with the good folks at Skybound and totally amped to be taking the G.I. Joe team to issue #301 and beyond,” said Larry Hama. “Little did I know back in 1982 that I would be associated with the Real American Hero for over 40 years. My thanks to the whole crew at Skybound for allowing me to continue to chronicle the exploits of characters who have become like a family to me.”

“I’m very excited to be working on such an enduring property with original writer and comics legend Larry Hama, not to mention being able to do it at Skybound,” said Chris Mooneyham. “I think Skybound is going to be able to offer G.I. Joe storytelling opportunities like never before, and I’m honored to be part of it. Yo Joe!” 

"Early on in my career, I was asked to draw a few G.I. Joe covers for Marvel Comics,” said Andy Kubert. “Having had the toys when I was a kid, I thought ‘Great! This is going to be a blast!’ and it was. Fast forward all these years later and here I am getting to play with G.I. Joe again and still having a blast!”

The return of G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero continues the historic partnership between Skybound and Hasbro that was announced yesterday, seeing the return of the G.I. Joe franchise to comics as overseen by visionary creator Robert Kirkman (Invincible, The Walking Dead).

“One of the main goals of Skybound with these Hasbro properties is preserving and honoring the legacies already established with Transformers and G.I.Joe. While we're creating something new with the Energon Universe, we're also going to be devoting equal resources to paying respect to the glorious stories that came before and made these brands what they are today,” said Robert Kirkman. “I don't want to live in a world where Larry Hama isn't continuing his unparalleled run on G.I.Joe: A Real American Hero, and thanks to Skybound, I won't have to!”

In November, Skybound will also release G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero #1 Larry Hama Cut, a special reprint of the iconic first issue featuring Larry Hama’s original, unaltered scripting in a key moment that was changed in limited instances for the final printed edition. This is your first chance EVER to discover the very first G.I. Joe comic book exactly as Hama intended.

“We’re so thrilled to be publishing this historic series,” said Alex Antone, Editorial Director at Skybound. “300 issues by a single author is a feat that may never be accomplished again, and to be able to go back and fix something that Larry’s been holding onto since the very beginning ... it’s just such a cool moment for the franchise and the fans.”

“Several years ago, a fan at SDCC asked me how long Larry Hama would be writing G.I. JOE: A REAL AMERICAN HERO comics,” recalled Michael Kelly, VP of Global Publishing at Hasbro. “My response was the only appropriate answer for someone in my position: ‘for as long as Larry wants to keep writing them.’ It’s exciting to be continuing this journey that started back in 1982, and I’m grateful to the great team at Skybound for helping me keep that promise.”

• More from the Ergonomic Universe. I mean Eggnogeron Universe. Argle-Bargle Universe? Something like that.
  • Here's a PREVIEW.

GEIGER: GROUND ZERO #1 (OF 2)

Story: Geoff Johns | Art/Cover: Gary Frank | $3.99

12288188684?profile=RESIZE_180x18012288188498?profile=RESIZE_180x180MINISERIES PREMIERE

The saga of THE UNNAMED continues! GEOFF JOHNS and GARY FRANK return to the apocalyptic world of GEIGER for a special explosive two-issue origin epic.

What happened to Tariq Geiger in the days after the nuclear bombs first dropped? How did mankind survive the UNKNOWN WAR? Who is the mysterious Russian scientist Dr. Molotov and why is he hunting Geiger? And how does this tie all the way back to the American Revolution? Get ready to put on your hazmat suit and find out!

• The real origin is that DC was going to publish a a pop-up imprint (like Young Animal) called "Killing Zone," headed up by Geoff Johns and focusing on some obscure but unnamed DC characters.  When "Killing Zone" (and Brian Michael Bendis' proposed "Wonder Comics") fell through, Johns took his toys to Image. But those toys — Geiger and Junkyard Joe — started out, in all likelihood, as Atomic Knight and G.I. Robot
  • But the story's not over! The Unnamed (the universe that includes Geiger and Junkyard Joe) is now moving to a new Image imprint called Ghost Machine. Which will have four universes. Here's the press release: 

GHOST MACHINE LAUNCHES AT NEW YORK COMIC CON

Ghost Machine, a first-of-its-kind creator-owned and operated media company officially launched at New York Comic Con. Creators co-own all the characters and universes developed for Ghost Machine, sharing in all publishing, media, merchandise and beyond. The pioneering creator collective is a global best-of-class roster of artists and writers whose award-winning and iconic works include a who’s who of comic book legends such as Batman, Superman, Spider-Man, The Flash, The Ultimates, Black Lightning and Green Arrow: Jason Fabok, Gary Frank, Bryan Hitch, Geoff Johns, Lamont Magee, Francis Manapul, Brad Meltzer, Peter J. Tomasi and Maytal Zchut. The company plans to announce additional talent in the months ahead, including one major superstar creator. All creators will be exclusive to Ghost Machine for their comics work after completing their already committed-to projects.

12288189284?profile=RESIZE_400xAs the recent Hollywood strikes have shown, creatives are disenfranchised with the traditional industry model — creators seek increased empowerment as a natural progression to an ever-changing entertainment landscape. Ghost Machine’s enterprising business model is at the forefront of this evolution with the characters and full company ownership shared by its creators in every way.

“Our ambition for Ghost Machine is to push beyond superheroes, introducing new genres, characters and shared universes, completely co-owned by all the creators involved. We see this as the future of how creatives will work and retain creative control and meaningfully participate in success like never before," said the Ghost Machine founding creators' joint statement. "Our passion is for the magic of graphic storytelling and the emotional resonance of compelling characters. But we are not just a comic book company — we are the first wholly creator-owned and operated media company of its kind, born out of a desire to create and succeed together.”

Ghost Machine’s titles will be published through the original champion of creator-owned comics — Image Comics — the industry’s third-largest comic book publisher behind Marvel and DC, which launched in 1992 when seven of the top comic book creators left Marvel Comics to own their own work and ideas. Now, Ghost Machine drives the industry norms and opportunities even further by having top talent collaborate and build out shared universes that they entirely control together. If Image Comics pushed the original boundaries, Ghost Machine is breaking barriers and creating a new frontier for creators.

Eric Stephenson, publisher and chief creative officer at Image Comics, said: "It's been incredible to see how much planning has gone into what the Ghost Machine collaborators are putting together. It's an amazing list of talent, but beyond that, they're giving every aspect of this line a lot of thought, so that it's more than just another series launch, it's a true event. The way they're working together, and working with Image, make this a noteworthy development for us, as well as a must-read comics lineup for anyone looking for something different and new."

A two-issue prequel series, GEIGER: GROUND ZERO by Geoff Johns and Gary Frank, ships in November and December before Ghost Machine’s first official release in January 2024 with GHOST MACHINE #1, a 64-page special which will introduce its FOUR SHARED UNIVERSES of characters: 1) THE UNNAMED; revealing a mysterious group of genre heroes from across history, featuring characters and titles like GEIGER, JUNKYARD JOE, REDCOAT and FIRST GHOST. A GEIGER series, based on Geoff Johns and Gary Frank’s hit comic of the same name, is already in development at Paramount TV with director Justin Simien. 2) ROOK: EXODUS; a sprawling sci-fi epic which takes place in the far future, on a world where every aspect of nature is controlled by humanity. 3) The universe of FAMILY ODYSSEYS centering around the time displaced family, THE ROCKETFELLERS, and their friends. And 4) An epic HORROR UNIVERSE co-created and illustrated by one of our secret superstar artists to be announced, currently under contract. Following Ghost Machine #1, Ghost Machine’s titles will begin shipping in April 2024 with an all-new ongoing GEIGER series, REDCOAT and ROOK: EXODUS.

12288189296?profile=RESIZE_180x180

12288190065?profile=RESIZE_180x180

12288190462?profile=RESIZE_180x18012288189894?profile=RESIZE_180x18012288189871?profile=RESIZE_400x12288190098?profile=RESIZE_180x18012288190483?profile=RESIZE_180x18012288190667?profile=RESIZE_180x180

KILLADELPHIA #31

Story: Rodney Barnes| Art: German Erramouspe | Cover: Jason Alexander | Variants: Francesco Mattina, Jae Lee, Jason Alexander | Mature | $4.99

12283755288?profile=RESIZE_400xThe Eisner Award nominated ongoing series Killadelphia from writer Rodney Barnes (HBO's American Gods, HBO’s Winning Time, and record-breaking Star Wars: The Mandalorian comic book series) and Jason Shawn Alexander (the artist who redefined Todd McFarlane’s legendary Spawn for a whole new generation) have more surprises in store for fans with a fleet of iconic characters ready to join in on the action. 

The Killadelphia series follows a small-town beat cop who returns home to bury his murdered father, revered Philadelphia detective James Sangster Sr. What he doesn’t anticipate is digging up a mystery that will lead him down a path of horrors and shake his beliefs to their core. The city that was once the symbol of liberty and freedom has fallen prey to corruption, poverty, unemployment, brutality … and vampires. Now, it’s up to Jimmy and an unexpected companion to stop long-thought-dead president of the United States John Adams from building an undead army and staging a bloody new American revolution.

The forces of Heaven and Hell clash on the battleground that is Philly and weave into the tapestry of a larger universe when Todd McFarlane’s greatest creation crosses over into the pages of Killadelphia! All the power SeeSaw has gained and all the magic he's learned will be put to the test when he faces off against comics' greatest anti-hero! Anything can happen in this bold jumping-on point for new readers that will redefine the Killadelphia universe as we know it. The sold-out, Eisner Award-nominated series continues in a landmark story arc that will also feature canon surprise appearances by recognizable characters from outside Philadelphia’s city limits.

“It’s tough to convey how excited I am about this story arc. Big thanks to Todd McFarlane and Erik Larsen for lending us their creations” said Barnes. “Also thanks to MGM studios for allowing Blacula to visit the city of Philadelphia. And lastly a humongous thanks to the late great Bram Stoker for creating Count Dracula who will be joining the battle as well. Great times!”

This next arc also contains a backup stories featuring Hell's Baddest Badass: Johnny Gatlin.

Select praise for the Killadelphia series:

"The stunning and fresh horror fable I’ve been craving. This one feels like a classic." — Jordan Peele

"It's the best graphic novel I've ever read. Five times more graphic and eight times more novel." — Chris Rock

"A strong sense of place, an offbeat take on vampire mythology, and gorgeously grim illustration combine to make this first volume in an ongoing horror series a memorable standout." — Library Journal

"This smart, stylish thrill ride runs on enough social relevance to appeal to an audience outside of gore hounds." — Publishers Weekly

"Jason Shawn Alexander is one of my favorite artists working today, and writer Rodney Barnes is the perfect collaborator for this atmospheric horror story with a terrifyingly real sense of place." — Brian K. Vaughan, Saga, Paper Girls

"Sparely written, beautifully rendered and topical, Killadelphia is a genuinely frightening horror graphic. Can't wait to read the next issue!" — Steven Barnes & Tananarive Due

"Killadelphia speaks to race, class, culture and vampires. All things that lead to a captivating story. What isn't there to love!!!" — Michael Strahan

"A dark, deep, seamless story that plays into multiple genres without becoming fully any one of them…offers a tantalizing nightmare of urban horror that feels real, rich, and mysterious. It'll infect you if you let it, and you should." — ComicBook.com

• According to various sources, not only will Spawn appear in Killadelphia, but so will Savage Dragon, Count Dracula and — I kid thee not — Blacula.

12283755682?profile=RESIZE_180x18012283755889?profile=RESIZE_180x180

12283755856?profile=RESIZE_180x180

SYPHON VOLUME 2 #1 (OF 4)

Story: Mohsen Ashraf & Arish Akanda | Art: Thomas Hedglen | Inks: Mostafa Moussa | Colors: John Kalisz | Letters: Troy Peteri | Teen+ | $3.99

12175314884?profile=RESIZE_400x12175315663?profile=RESIZE_180x18012175315685?profile=RESIZE_180x180After defeating Antonio, Sylas struggles to navigate life, love, and the moral ambiguity of his newfound power. His physical and emotional limits are tested as he pushes the boundaries of his abilities. As his powers grow so do the consequences of his actions, leading him to face a monster of his own making.

The 2022 Ringo Award-winning, supernatural noir comic, Syphon will see its second volume hit shelves this November from Image/Top Cow Productions. Creator and writer Mohsen Ashraf will continue the series with this new four-issue story, and will be joined by co-writer Arish Akanda and new series artist Thomas Hedglen.

Syphon Volume 2 follows “supernatural empath” Sylas — wielder of an ancient power to sense and siphon away pain from others — as he struggles to navigate his purpose and the moral ambiguity of his newfound power. He is joined by Livia, a scientist and trauma researcher exploring the fringe of the Syphon-verse.

The series unveils new characters and settings, including a Syphon temple lost in the Amazon — brimming with deep lore of the power — and a long-forgotten threat reawakened. Ashraf describes Volume 2 as a “Temple of Doom-style psychedelic thriller delving into the depths of mental health.”

“I’m very excited to continue the story of Sylas and Livia in Syphon Volume 2. We’re able to explore more of the power, get deeper with the main characters, and start to ask the tough questions: What is the purpose of pain? What is the right way to heal from it? Is there a right way at all?” said Ashraf.

Matt Hawkins, President at Top Cow added: “I’m a big fan of grounded supernatural and Syphon has a fresh take on empaths. Volume 2 takes things to a whole new level. I dig it. Already looking forward to Volume 3 and beyond.

• I didn't read Syphon Vol. 1. 

DARK HORSE

LEGO SPACE 1978-1992 HC is a thing people want, apparently.

WORLD OF BLACK HAMMER OMNIBUS VOLUME 2

Story: Jeff Lemire | Art: David Rubin, Max Fujimara | $29.99

11002185271?profile=RESIZE_400xDark Horse Books presents a new collection of the Black Hammer saga in the World of Black Hammer Omnibus Volume 2! The latest Black Hammer omnibus collects The Quantum Age and Black Hammer ’45 together in one affordable omnibus volume. These stories are written by Jeff Lemire and Ray Fawkes, with interior art by Wilfredo Torres and Matt Kindt, colors by Dave Stewart and Sharlene Kindt, and cover art by Dean Ormston.

In The Quantum Age: Far in the future of Black Hammer, a collection of superheroes inspired by the legendary heroes of Black Hammer Farm must band together to save the planet from an authoritarian regime.

And in Black Hammer ‘45: During the Golden Age of superheroes, an elite Air Force crew called the Black Hammer Squadron bands together to combat the Nazis, a host of occult threats, and their ultimate aerial warrior the Ghost Hunter.

• This is a pretty unnecessary press release, but DH sent it to me, and I'm posting it.

IDW PUBLISHING

The Big G gets another one-shot, GODZILLA RIVALS: VS. MECHAGODZILLA #1.

D&D FORTUNE FINDER #1 is "a miniseries inspired by the new Dungeons & Dragons sourcebook Planescape: Adventures in the Multiverse."

ROSE WOLVES VOL 1 HC

Story/Art: Natalie Warner | $14.99

12288180478?profile=RESIZE_400xThis wordless two-color graphic novel is an enthralling fable about disability, companionship, and transformation, set in the haunting beauty of the wild. One day, a little girl picks an unusual flower from an unusual bush in the forest. Overnight, the flower blooms and turns into a magical creature: a rose wolf, missing a leg just like she is missing an arm. Together, the new friends must go on a journey to find where they belong. In her graphic novel debut, Canadian cartoonist Natalie Warner presents a moody, tender, and captivating new fairy tale, without using a single word.

• Interesting.

THE MINISTRY OF COMPLIANCE #1

Cover: Stefano Raffaele & Brad Anderson | Colors: Brad Anderson | Letters: Ariana Maher | Variants: Ryan Sook, Claire Roe, Edwin Galmon | $5.99

12150383054?profile=RESIZE_400x12150383660?profile=RESIZE_180x180For 37 years, humanity has been manipulated by an extraterrestrial organization called the Devolution. Utilizing 13 ministries, these cunning alien agents have infiltrated every aspect of humanity’s culture, weakening civilization by strategically destabilizing it and flooding the planet with misinformation to accelerate chaos and division among mankind. This has all been in an effort to take over and reshape the planet, and these secretive saboteurs truly believe they are helping humanity in the long run. But what happens when the interstellar operatives begin to turn on each other, and humanity is caught in the middle of the cosmic conflict?

Eisner-nominated storyteller John Ridley reunites with GCPD: The Blue Wall collaborator Stefano Raffaele to present THE MINISTRY OF COMPLIANCE, a sociopolitical sci-fi thriller that is full of extraterrestrial espionage and excitement as the creatives take a look at the world we live in today through the lens of an inconspicuous alien invasion.

Comics have always held a special place in Ridley’s heart, and the characters he’s crafted for THE MINISTRY OF COMPLIANCE are unlike any he’s created before. “I’ve been real fortunate to have had many ‘phases’ in my career, from starting out writing on The Martin Show all the way up to 12 Years A Slave and everything that flowed from it. But there’s always going to be part of me which is the kid who fell in love with storytelling by way of comic books. And to be real this is the craft that brings me the most joy. The trio of Avigail, Quinn and Kingsley are easily my three favorite characters in thirty-plus years of creating.”

Ridley delved a little deeper into what fans can expect from the mysterious alien invasion and revealed a key theme behind the tale. “And, yeah, in the series there’s a lot of literal and figurative backstabbing and heads rolling as the three quietly lead the charge to take over all of Earth, which is quite the chore. ... THE MINISTRY OF COMPLIANCE, however, is really about these three trying to figure out who they are, and what they mean to each other which are the basics of human nature. Sometimes it takes ‘aliens’ to show us a little something about ourselves.”

While the storyteller has been keeping busy with the Big Two in the world of comics, he remarked on what makes this a truly unique passion project for him. “I’m very happy to be working on THE MINISTRY OF COMPLIANCE at IDW along with some of the editors who helped re-introduce me to comics at DC. They are so committed to this project, and in an ever-shifting landscape of entertainment it’s really, really, nice to be at a house where you know everyone is pulling not only for you, but more importantly for the work itself. I could not be more excited to get this series before people.”

Raffaele jumped at the chance to work with Ridley again when IDW co-publisher Mark Doyle reached out to him about the project. “I think me and John are on the same wavelength in terms of storytelling style, and THE MINISTRY OF COMPLIANCE is masterfully written. Every page is a joy to work on and I am sure the readers will love it too!”

The artist further elaborated on why Ridley’s story spoke to him and why he couldn’t wait to start drawing. “When I did read the script I fell in love with the story right away. It was just perfect. The drama, the action, the social and political outcry, and a lot of sword fights, and deeply built characters. It was just perfect.”

Doyle is eager for fans to discover what THE MINISTRY OF COMPLIANCE has in store for them. “This is a real passion project for me. I feel like we've been able to put together a super group of talent here. First, we have John who is an incredibly thoughtful storyteller and I am so happy to be working with him again. He is so passionate about this story, it's something he's been wanting to tell for a long, long time and I'm honored that he chose me and IDW to tell it. And then we have dream collaborators like Stefano Raffaelle and colorist Brad Anderson.”

Comics are a collaborative process, and Doyle added the editorial team at IDW has been working hard to ensure the comic creators are supported. “Plus we have my old colleague and friend Dave Wielgosz doing a great job helping me edit and Jake Williams on assists — it's a killer crew. All of us are firing on all cylinders to bring you a complicated story of intrigue and struggles for power and, as John said when he first pitched it to me '... and sword fights. Lots and lots of sword fights!’ ”

• Apparently not related to Image's Ministry of Truth.
  • I'm gratified every time IDW tries a title not aimed at children. 

12150383481?profile=RESIZE_180x18012150383855?profile=RESIZE_180x18012150384261?profile=RESIZE_180x18012150384653?profile=RESIZE_180x18012150384867?profile=RESIZE_180x180

INTERESTING

BETTY & VERONICA JUMBO COMICS DIGEST #319 has two new stories, the first teaming Betty & Veronica with The Shield, and the second teaming B&V with Pow-Girl and the Mighty Crusaders. Oh, and Santa Claus is on the cover.

Ahoy Comics alert: PROJECT CRYPTID #3 (OF 6) and SECOND COMING VOL 3: TRINITY TP arrive this week.

Claypool Comics alert SOULSEARCHERS AND COMPANY OMNIBUS VOL 6 TP.

THE WHEEL OF TIME: THE GREAT HUNT #1

Story: Rik Hoskin | Art: Marcio Abreu | Cover: Mel Rubi | Dynamite | $4.99

12283752256?profile=RESIZE_180x18012283752274?profile=RESIZE_180x18012283752084?profile=RESIZE_180x180In this exciting new comics adaptations of Robert Jordan's "Wheel of Time" series, the momentous events related in the prologue of the novel The Great Hunt are brought to vivid life! Dive back into Jordan's captivating fantasy world and discover the fascinating events that set the stage for the adventures of Rand and his compatriots as they hunt down the Horn of Valere!

In chapter 1, "In the Shadows," the Dark One gathers his sinister followers, the Darkfriends, and charges them to find the new Dragon that has been born into the world — at any cost. For unless he can separate the Dragon from the light, all of the Dark One's meticulously crafted plans are threatened!

Written by RIK HOSKIN and illustrated by MARCIO ABREU with colors by VINICIUS ANDRADE, The Wheel of Time: The Great Hunt #1 also features beautifully rendered covers by MEL RUBI and JORDAN GUNDERSON, as well as a special photo cover from Prime Video's The Wheel of Time TV series.

Fans have gotten the chance to read Robert Jordan's beloved "The Wheel of Time" fantasy epic across the novels for more than 30 years. Now in recent years the world and characters have broken into visual forms with the show on Prime. We're also back with a comics adaptation of the second novel The Great Hunt. Writer Rik Hoskin is the perfect pick to seamlessly adapt the story to this medium, alongside the stunning artwork of Marcio Abreu. We’ve got a series trailer, a chat with the writer, and more!

• My wife have been watching this show, which has completed two seasons with a third already ordered. I have to say I find the story kinda generic, and I'm not all that invested in most of the characters. But it's got the always watchable Rosamund Pike, and genuinely terrific production values. Like Shadow & Bone, it's worth watching just for the costumes.
  • Given my antipathy for the retread concepts (and the absence of Rosamund Pike), I'm not sure comics — or the novels — would hold my attention as much. But there are a lot of "Wheel of Time" fans, so there's probably a lot I'm not aware of.

12283752292?profile=RESIZE_180x18012283752098?profile=RESIZE_180x18012283752666?profile=RESIZE_180x180

MORE FIRST ISSUES/OGNS

Top 10 offers another Mature Readers music biography with ROCK & ROLL BIOGRAPHIES: SLAYER IN COLOR.

Amulet's NATHAN HALE’S HAZARDOUS TALES:  ABOVE THE TRENCHES HC features the flying aces of World War I.

Blood Moon's THE ACCURSED #1 (OF 4): "Olivia Starkings searches for the Hedgewitch that cursed her while maintaining the balance between humanity and the supernatural." The cover looks a little cartoony, but it's Mature Readers.

CURSES GN

Story: George Wylesol | Art/Cover: George Wylesol | Avery Hill Publishing | $24.99

12288264869?profile=RESIZE_180x180"Sometimes I think I see things. Out of the corner of my eye, behind a door, I catch a glimpse of something. It's like a curtain caught in the wind, and then it's gone." From hospitals to hell to the wilderness, George Wylesol's short stories take place in liminal spaces where nothing is as it seems; the surreal becomes real; and something is lying in wait around every corner. As our main characters navigate through corridors, passageways, and highways, they sink deeper and deeper into everyday strangeness that slips into peculiarity, creating an internal journey from normalcy to the supernatural.

DISTURBED: DARK MESSIAH TP

Story: Tim Seeley | Art: Angel Hernandez, Esau Escorza | Cover: Ryan Christensen | Opus Comics | $19.99

12288265680?profile=RESIZE_180x180In the not-so-distant future, firefighter Griffin DeSanto has found himself a man out of time, stumbling into a harsh world of poverty, automation and subjugation. Technology rules and a tech empire built on suffering keeps the population in check through surveillance and mechanized policing. Though lost, Griffin is never alone, he was brought here for a reason, and The Vengeful One is his guide.

FEEDING DANGEROUSLY HC

Story: Jose Andres, Steve Orlando | Art/Cover: Alberto Ponticelli | TKO Studios LLC | $44.99

12288266480?profile=RESIZE_400xFires. Hurricanes. Volcanoes. Floods. Earthquakes. Food is hope. Join Chef José Andrés and World Central Kitchen for the incredible story of how their mission began and expanded across the globe, serving millions of meals in the most dangerous conditions to bring comfort and hope, one plate at a time.

• Mike Mignola provides a variant cover.

MONSTER FAN CLUB #1 (OF 3)

Story: Jason T. Miles | Art/Cover: Shaky Kane | Floating World | Mature | $10.00

12288267699?profile=RESIZE_180x180Is that Vampira with an uzi?! Tor Johnson with a crack pipe?! Welcome to Edge City, population BOO! Meet casino boss cock, Gary Ghoulash, as he tries to fend off Lady Die's predatory brand of entrepreneurialism! Witness the 1st appearance of Stoker (kaiju-in-a-necktie) and Mr. Frankenstein (with shotgun) as they cruise the cruel pavement of Monster World, USA.

• I'm a sucker for anything with Tor Johnson.

SILENCE, FULL STOP GN

Story/Art: Karina Shor | Street Noise Books | $23.99

12288269065?profile=RESIZE_180x180A breathtaking and gut-wrenchingly real graphic memoir of the struggles of an adolescent girl processing the trauma of childhood sexual assault. An immigrant at the age of six, she arrived in a strange new world. Karina was labeled "different" immediately, and a desire to be invisible was born. The "different" label expanded to "weird" and "freak", terms that she fervently embraced. By taking society's critique, owning it, and taking pride in it, she gained power over it. In a life overshadowed by fear, Karina wanted control. If something was going to ruin her life it would be her and her alone.

• I'm not usually interested in coming-of-age memoirs, but this one seems warranted, and might teach me something.

STREET FIGHTER 6 EVOLUTION SPECIAL #1 (ONE-SHOT)

Story: Capcom, Takayuki Nakayama & Matt Moylan. Art: Hanzo Steinbach, Tovio Rogers, Jeffrey Cruz | Cover: Genzoman  | Variants: Tovio Rogers, Chamba, Norasuko | UDON | $4.99

12213095661?profile=RESIZE_180x180THE NEW ERA OF FIGHTING GAMES CONTINUES!

UDON Entertainment continues their partnership with Capcom begun in the SOLD OUT Street Fighter 6 Comic Book Series with this exciting new one-shot! Get ready for the Street Fighter 6 Evolution Special! #1 Originally previewed at the EVO 2023 Fighting Game Championships, UDON is proud to unleash this issue to fans around the world this November!

Featuring three all-new short stories starring the World Warriors Rashid, Cammy, Dee Jay, Luke, Jamie ... and the debut of an all-new Street Fighter 6 character ... the deadly A.K.I.! A titanic trio of artists have teamed up for this book, including Hanzo Steinbech, Tovio Rogers, and Jeffrey "Chamba" Cruz, with a special appearance on cover A by none other than Genzoman! Featuring story concepts by Capcom's Takayuki Nakayama (Street Fighter 6 Director!) and UDON's Matt Moylan, this one-shot is not to be missed!

12213096069?profile=RESIZE_180x18012213096268?profile=RESIZE_180x18012213096283?profile=RESIZE_180x18012213096100?profile=RESIZE_180x180

12213096890?profile=RESIZE_180x18012213096678?profile=RESIZE_180x18012213097061?profile=RESIZE_180x180

TOPPI GALLERY: ALL THE WORLD'S GLORY HC

Story/Art: Sergio Toppi | Magnetic Press | Mature | $24.99

12288270679?profile=RESIZE_180x180A collection of Sergio Toppi's portrait work featuring notable figures throughout history — famous personalities and cultural figures from ancient times to the modern day. Featuring both black-and-white and full-color works with captions and text about various subjects throughout. Including editorial captions and text by noted Canadian entertainer and playwright Jean-Louis Roux.

• Cool!

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Did they really just use words like "golden age" and "iconic" and "classic" to describe a knock-off Image character from the '90s? Lordie.

Actually they used the term "golden era Image Comics" but I take your meaning. Hoo boy.

So for all the old school Image fans — not to mention, for anyone who's curious what all the fuss was about back in '92 — you can't afford to miss this.

I was there in '92 and I can't tell you what all the fuss was about, either.

• EX MACHINA: THE COMPLETE SERIES OMNIBUS HC (2023 EDITION) 

reprints a story I read in floppies and feel no need to re-visit.

This was an interesting series (which had a mid-blowing first issue). Not only did the original creative team, Brian K. Vaughan and Tony Harris, stick with it until the last, fiftieth issue, but Harris did all the covers and all the interiors. I really wish he had stuck with Starman all the way.

• I was there in '92 and I can't tell you what all the fuss was about, either.

I disliked Image's early efforts, which in some cases had art I found repulsive (Liefeld, McFarland), in most cases had characters that were blatant rip-offs of Marvel and/or DC characters, and in all cases told eye-rollingly lame and juvenile stories, rebutting in real time the Image artists' claim that they didn't need writers. It was the first time I didn't feel at home in a comics shop, when I had to tune out the young'uns drooling over something stupid. Thankfully professionalism reasserted itself, but some of that poison still lingers.

This was an interesting series (which had a mid-blowing first issue).

The first issue of Ex Machina was indeed a stunner. Over time, though, I felt like Vaughn had run out of story and was just winging it. By the end I was ready for it to be over.

This reply was deleted.